"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Caved in and read chapter 33 raw and while I can't understand what their saying I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Some changes which I noticed were:

.Unlike the anime the Namekians were shown right off the bat which I like. Don't think they were fully revealed until the tournament was halfway done.
.Instead of U11 doing the poses it seems like U3 has taken over that role.
.Zoiray can fly in the manga while he couldn't in the anime, not sure why they gave him the ability to fly but it's not a big deal.
.Elimination order is different, disappointed that Pepsi man and Jimeze got taken out so quickly. But I do like seeing 17 and 18 getting some eliminations very early on.
.Instead of every other universe going after U7, U7 is going after them first which is nice.
.Also noticed that Ribrianne is already transformed and seems to be more serious compared to the anime version of her. Glad they set up 18 vs Ribrianne early on because I can't even remember why the two fight in the anime.
.Jiren isn't just standing around and is doing something which is nice.

Do like some of the changes made in the chapter and it was nice to see the characters which did nothing in the anime atleast get some panel time here. Though it does seem like the manga has Goku and Vegeta holding back still which I'm not that big a fan of. Also while the tournament just started I do hope that other universes get more eliminations, a minor issue I have with the anime was that U7 had so many of the eliminations. Anywho a great start to the tournament and I really hope that it doesn't fall apart in the next chapter.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:55 pm

Reminder that leaks have never painted a good portrait of what's in the actual chapter, and that many of you fall into the same trap of thinking they do each month.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Nobody remembers those characters because they weren't given the time to be remembered. If Cabba, Hit, Caulifla, Frost and Kale were all fodder knocked out instantly the moment they were introduced, you wouldn't care for them either.
Fair enough. Maybe if Toyo will handle these characters well, I will care for them a little more
I hope so. Despite the anime's issue, I gave a shit about Universe 6, Universe 2, Universe 9 and Universe 3. I really want Toyotaro to make me feel something with the other universes characters in TOP.
Indeed I think allot of it too is by personal Preference, their was a reason why Lord Frieza made a Support Your Universe thread, each fans has their favorites in this Arc that gave use multiple new characters and each of use wants to see them do well to be represented well to other fans to gain liking of them too.

While I enjoyed Greatly Universe 2 in the Anime, I still want to see Toyo do something different here with them too, not just follow the Anime point for point. So far the Battle Royal scene showing Rozie 1st fighting the Cell Guy from U3 was an excellent start cause that is what many fans wanted, other universes fighting each other and not just lining-up one-by-one to face U7.

I think it will go to great lengths for Toyo to take notes form what did not work for fans in the Anime and try to use the art of still artwork to portray that. So far with what I have seen and heard I am really please so far, mostly with U2, Rozie, Ribrianne and the Battle Royal Looking like a Battle Royal.

I hope this Manga story gains more fans for the other universes too. :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:15 pm

I'm guessing that the sky changing colors thing won't happen in the manga. Or maybe it will, and he will use grey tones like he does for SSB and SSG
Get Fucked, C_unt

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:I'm guessing that the sky changing colors thing won't happen in the manga. Or maybe it will, and he will use grey tones like he does for SSB and SSG
Based on the chapter, the background is cloudy, meaning that perhaps the background is the one that the anime had after hit got eliminated. The only other change he can do is the one where toppo uses hakai, and warps the world of void

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:57 pm

I like that manga 18 seems to be cautious of Freeza. Most likely because of what he did to Krillin. Someone's been playing FighterZ

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:06 pm

OLKv3 wrote:I like that manga 18 seems to be cautious of Freeza. Most likely because of what he did to Krillin. Someone's been playing FighterZ
Yes Toyotaro has been playing that game I hope to see more reference of it.
    The Raw look very interesting and I'm glad they set up #18 vs Ribrianne.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:19 pm

I also liked how Freeza eliminated a fighter, perfect for his role. And now he's sending Frost after Krillin, so unlike the anime he's actually scheming against his own team, which is counter productive but we'll see how it goes. Unless he's in the mindset of "getting everyone erased is better than helping them" because he's that petty
    I absolutely love how hectic it is, and hope it stays that way. It feels like a battle royal. Also Goku treating the Troopers as an annoyance and immediately going SS to knock them aside is cool. Jiren also fighting and listening to his teammates, whaaa?

Very good chapter, now hopefully the battle royal feel doesn't drop off a cliff

Xeogran
    I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:30 pm

I hope Manga reverses U2's transformation and makes Brianne de Chateau her transformation while Ribrianne is her base form :lol:

Spider-Man
    Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Xeogran wrote:I hope Manga reverses U2's transformation and makes Brianne de Chateau her transformation while Ribrianne is her base form :lol:
    It will be hilarious but it's unlikely because Ribrianne appear in the promotion of the manga,we will probably see her base form when she get eliminated.

Namz
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Namz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:37 pm

17 and 18 are so badass in this chapter. It kind of reminds of how they were when DBZ introduced them.

Slaythe
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:10 pm

I usually hate the manga but this was a great chapter.

Happy to see 17 and 18 not teaming up since they rarely ever did that in the present.

batistabus
    Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:33 pm

While I understand that people might want to see more from side characters, you have to understand what the actual focus is here. The anime spent more time on "fodder" characters and suffered greatly for it in terms of overall pacing. These are our main characters. If Toyotaro can make these characters compelling, then he'll have done his job. Focusing on 19 contestants is PLENTY, so there's no reason to drag out the story with the other 61. While we may be curious about some of the other fighters, the Dragon Ball manga has always teased tidbits that fans want to know more about. That's where the anime can step in and explore those areas in filler.

The tournament is off to a great start! Things have been set up in a very fast-paced yet clear way.

-I like how Toyotaro doesn't pretend that most of these fighters are near the level of the average Universe 7 fighter. Universe 7 has clearly gone through exceptional circumstances in terms of characters gaining power, largely because of the actions of Son Goku.
    -The Artificial Humans, particularly No.17, and Vegeta are entirely focused on their mission. No messing around. Perfect.
    -Goku is actively pursuing Jiren and isn't focused on eliminating others.
    -Freeza, not one to exert himself unnecessarily, is picking off weaklings and manipulating.
    -The rest of the Earthlings are holding tight to their formation. This seems to be deterring enemies for the time being.
    -Jiren is actually participating in the tournament. His vibe is more "disgruntled mercenary" rather than "final boss", which I appreciate.

perucho1990
    I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:38 pm

Doctor. wrote:
    Vegeta_Sama wrote:Why are you all complaining about these nobodies beign eliminated? Who cares? We already know which characters are the focal point of the ToP. Everyone besides the main three of U11, U6 and U7 is just fodder put there to make for a higher body count. What did you all expect, that Toyotaro suddenly put focus on characters nobody is interested in?
    You might as well skip to Goku vs Jiren if you don't care.

Attitudes like this is why nobody outside this fanbase takes Dragon Ball seriously.
    I agree, I hope Toyotaro takes the Boku no Hero Academia path and get some focus on the secondary characters that got wasted in the anime/deserved better treatment.

We need some darkhorses to make the ToP a bit predictable than in the anime, maybe U6 can reach to the finals?

The_Destroyer
    Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Obuni was shown in the front of the Universe 10 team, so it seems he was always intended to be the Ace. But surprisingly, Murichim's already shown off more in the manga. That barrier attack looked sick.

Hopefully the Trio de Dangers, Murichim, and Damon get better treatment in the manga, even if they weren't on the poster for the ToP.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:10 pm

Will wait for translated chapter to come out before I read it, but wanted to say this.

It is good that the manga does things differently. Would be pointless if it did exactly the same thing. Since then u can have 2 versions of the ToP and you can enjoy both.

Vegeta_Sama
    Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:22 pm

buutenks wrote:Will wait for translated chapter to come out before I read it, but wanted to say this.

It is good that the manga does things differently. Would be pointless if it did exactly the same thing. Since then u can have 2 versions of the ToP and you can enjoy both.
    The downside is that it's gonna create a lot of debate over which version is better than the other
    Get Fucked, C_unt

Xeogran
    I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:34 pm

I'm hoping U4 gets much better treatment here, as the Quitela-Beerus rivalry is already more developed in the manga. Toyotaro-senpai, do them justice! :mrgreen:

jeffbr92
    Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Xeogran wrote:I'm hoping U4 gets much better treatment here, as the Quitela-Beerus rivalry is already more developed in the manga. Toyotaro-senpai, do them justice! :mrgreen:
    I hope there's actually a mortal stronger than God in U4, don't know if Whis foreshadowed that in the manga too tho
    Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:52 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
    Xeogran wrote:I'm hoping U4 gets much better treatment here, as the Quitela-Beerus rivalry is already more developed in the manga. Toyotaro-senpai, do them justice! :mrgreen:
    I hope there's actually a mortal stronger than God in U4, don't know if Whis foreshadowed that in the manga too tho
    Oh wow, just let that go. Obviisly it was jiren.
    Many months after and people still argue this?
    When will people learn