"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
CJStriker_CBR
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:34 pm

perucho1990 wrote:The Ribrianne gag in the anime couldve handled better with proper writing(why didnt they hire the script writer that worked for Sailor Moon Crystal S3 because the comedy there was as good as original Sailor Moon).

I have the feeling Toyotaro will keep it simple with her like he is doing it with Toppo.

Also Caulifla made Magetta cry which I feel its the equivalent of refusing to shake Gokus hand in the anime. :think:
While I still enjoyed what they gave use with Ribrianne in the Anime, their is a viewing I think more now with recent episodes that the writing was done in a very generic and conservative fashion. After Jiren's basic backstory and how basic the story is seeming to flow at this point I think the Anime only did as much as it needed to do to tell their story, which is sad cause if they had be a-little bolder with bolder writers they could have made something more amazing, like every episode could have been a 118!

I think Toyotaro is being more simple and getting to the point with the battles and I would not be surprise if he is banking on those that are reading the Manga to have seen the Anime already so he might be skipping some character development points. I hope not, but we have to see.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

User avatar
TheSaiyanGod
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1494
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:09 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Bullza wrote:We got a cover for Volume 5 yet? A good full image one of the volume itself.
Not the best quality, but I think this image is good

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

User avatar
Kenneth La Torre
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1584
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Bullza wrote:We got a cover for Volume 5 yet? A good full image one of the volume itself.
Not the best quality, but I think this image is good

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Far better than the pixelated one we got earlier during leaks

User avatar
Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 359
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:36 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Analytical Delusion » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:53 pm

How many volumes do you guys think the manga will be in the end? Assuming it concludes with TOP + epilogue (I assume any additional material would be under a different title, unless the movie is part of the 'Super' branding).

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:22 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Bullza wrote:We got a cover for Volume 5 yet? A good full image one of the volume itself.
Not the best quality, but I think this image is good

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Oh yeah that'll do just fine for now, thanks.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by CriticalThinker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:33 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:Since Ribrianne seems to be the hot topic of this thread right now, does anyone else think that the whole magical girl parody might have been a toei thing? I know it's a bit premature of me to ask this but based off what I've seen so far it seems like it.
Well I think it was Intention Easily by Toei CriticalThinker, but not in a Parody Sense.

Parodies are mostly for comic effect only, so while their has been comical effect with Ribrianne and the Magical Girls IMO it is not different then the levels we see in other Magical Girl shows like Sailor Moon or Precure or even the Comical Levels we see from DB Characters themselves.

What I think Ribrianne and U2 is is a Homage to Toei's Magical Girl History and to Finally include their Biggest Legacy product outside of Dragon Ball into the Dragon Ball Mythos. Remember Toei is the House that Built the Magical Girl Legacy the most. They own and distribute BOTH Sailor Moon and the Precure/Pretty Cure line that are MEGA Franchise and Cash Cows for Toei just like Dragon Ball is.

So why Magical Girls are in Dragon Ball makes sense since both are own and created by Toei, both are their Mega Franchises and Ribrianne is a Homage to Magical Girls in a Dragon Ball Style that Toei wanted to final include in the DB Mythos to Homage one of its franchise just like the Pride Troopers are a Homage to Super Sentai! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Remember also too that Precure/Pretty Cure Shows took Allot of Dragon Ball Styles of Fighting and Animation and put it into their Magical Girl Characters and Battles with Epic Results! So Dragon Ball just entered into the Magical Girl Worlds with Precure/Pretty Cure, Ribrianne and the Fireballs are sharing of Magical Girls in the DB Worlds, an exchange of ideas by Toei if you would. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CiqeAwXEAk


Image

Image
Didn't view them as being a homage more as a parody due to not really knowing much about the magical girl genre. All I know is that whenever the girl transforms she turns out more beautiful, which is why when I saw Ribrianne transform I assumed she was a parody as she does the opposite. Who knows could be both though. Also didn't know Toei owned Sailor moon or Precure, never really payed much attention to those shows so that neat to know.

User avatar
OLKv3
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 am

Bullza wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Bullza wrote:We got a cover for Volume 5 yet? A good full image one of the volume itself.
Not the best quality, but I think this image is good

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Oh yeah that'll do just fine for now, thanks.
That's not the actual cover, it's a recreation by a website

User avatar
OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:02 pm
Location: SA

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by OverHeaven » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:35 pm

I don't have that much problem with how the story progress and power levels differences between manga and anime.
But it really annoys me how some of the new characters in the anime are essentially totally different characters with different personalities than their manga version. like they just have the same name and design.

I said a couple of times that anime Jiren is trash IMO, but the manga version actually has the chance of being one of my favorites because of how unique he is so far. compared to past DB characters. It's like we have to say anime Jiren or manga Jiren when we want to say our opinion on him.
Though in the end, the trash anime version is the dominant and more popular version.

Also, Rebrianne seems very serious here and less annoying, but hey it's just the first chapter

User avatar
OLKv3
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Image
I'm glad he's setting up an 18/Freeza subplot. 18 needs more things to do because in the anime she was the damsel in distress most of the time. She had her shine against U11 and U2 but vanished for long periods of time

User avatar
IM21
Banned
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Hell

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by IM21 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:33 pm

OLKv3 wrote:[
That's not the actual cover, it's a recreation by a website
It is the actual cover, there is also a special one with Trunks and his spirit sword.

http://vjump.shueisha.co.jp/comic/dbs03/#dbs__comic

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1064
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Am I alone in thinking that Toyotaro is using the anime to his advantage by knowing what the fans hated and works to change that?

I mean so far, the biggest complaints were Kale acting like a scared little girl, Ribrianne acting like a clown of LOVELOVELOVELOVE, Jiren standing there, doing/saying nothing and the general pace of the ToP. Toyotaro seems to be working on all those fronts. Kale looks like a silent badass, Ribrianne seems more serious, Jiren is doing stuff from the get go and the fodder seem to be dispatched almost immediately.

I can't help but feel that Toyotaro made a list of the fandom's complaints (assuming our co-fans from the land of the Rising Sun have more or less the same issues) and worked on them one by one.
OverHeaven wrote:I don't have that much problem with how the story progress and power levels differences between manga and anime.
But it really annoys me how some of the new characters in the anime are essentially totally different characters with different personalities than their manga version. like they just have the same name and design.
Kale, amirite?

User avatar
jeffbr92
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Am I alone in thinking that Toyotaro is using the anime to his advantage by knowing what the fans hated and works to change that?
If that was the case then he would have kept the good things in the anime Future Trunks arc
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1064
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:57 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:Am I alone in thinking that Toyotaro is using the anime to his advantage by knowing what the fans hated and works to change that?
If that was the case then he would have kept the good things in the anime Future Trunks arc
Some of his changes are indeed weird. While Goku and Frieza beating the living snot out of each other through negotiations was interesting, it is a far inferior scene to the #95 ep, which is one of Frieza's best moments ever.

User avatar
DasMuse
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:24 pm
Location: Earth Two

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DasMuse » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:31 pm

IM21 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:[
That's not the actual cover, it's a recreation by a website
It is the actual cover, there is also a special one with Trunks and his spirit sword.

http://vjump.shueisha.co.jp/comic/dbs03/#dbs__comic
That alternate Trunks cover is pretty great looking. I wonder if they'll do something similar for the English release?

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21048
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:04 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Am I alone in thinking that Toyotaro is using the anime to his advantage by knowing what the fans hated and works to change that?

I mean so far, the biggest complaints were Kale acting like a scared little girl, Ribrianne acting like a clown of LOVELOVELOVELOVE, Jiren standing there, doing/saying nothing and the general pace of the ToP. Toyotaro seems to be working on all those fronts. Kale looks like a silent badass, Ribrianne seems more serious, Jiren is doing stuff from the get go and the fodder seem to be dispatched almost immediately.

I can't help but feel that Toyotaro made a list of the fandom's complaints (assuming our co-fans from the land of the Rising Sun have more or less the same issues) and worked on them one by one.
Really? I thought the biggest complain regarding Kale was that she was a shameless homage of Broly.

User avatar
IM21
Banned
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Hell

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by IM21 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:24 pm

DasMuse wrote:
IM21 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:[
That's not the actual cover, it's a recreation by a website
It is the actual cover, there is also a special one with Trunks and his spirit sword.

http://vjump.shueisha.co.jp/comic/dbs03/#dbs__comic
That alternate Trunks cover is pretty great looking. I wonder if they'll do something similar for the English release?
The only problem is that it didn't happen in the manga. Also, I don't think they'll do it for the English release. It's already stupid that the English releases don't have the Japanese back covers which are great looking.

User avatar
The gr
I Live Here
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by The gr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:37 pm

I've been hearing rumors about the manga is gonna truly end in 8 volume if that's real then it will end in the next 7 chapters :shock:.
    Also the last volume included an extended Vegito vs Zamasu maybe this Volume will include an extended battle of Ft trunks Vs Zamas that is unfusing, I would love to see that heck i have a feeling that it will happen in the special edition cover.

    CriticalThinker
    Beyond Newbie
    Posts: 286
    Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm

    Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

    Post by CriticalThinker » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:55 pm

    The gr wrote:I've been hearing rumors about the manga is gonna truly end in 8 volume if that's real then it will end in the next 7 chapters :shock:.
      If you don't mind me asking where have you heard these rumors from, just curious. Cause if they do end up being true then this gonna be a pretty short arc.

      User avatar
      IM21
      Banned
      Posts: 387
      Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am
      Location: Hell

      Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

      Post by IM21 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm

      CriticalThinker wrote:
      The gr wrote:I've been hearing rumors about the manga is gonna truly end in 8 volume if that's real then it will end in the next 7 chapters :shock:.
        If you don't mind me asking where have you heard these rumors from, just curious. Cause if they do end up being true then this gonna be a pretty short arc.
        It would actually be the longest. So far the Goku black has 3 volumes. This one already has 1 volume and 3 chapters. If it would go on and have 8 volumes, it would make it the longest arc, with 3 volumes and 2 chapters.

        And no one should really care about some ''rumors''. No one knows when it will end. My prediction is it will end before the movie.

        CriticalThinker
        Beyond Newbie
        Posts: 286
        Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm

        Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

        Post by CriticalThinker » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:11 pm

        IM21 wrote:
        CriticalThinker wrote:
        The gr wrote:I've been hearing rumors about the manga is gonna truly end in 8 volume if that's real then it will end in the next 7 chapters :shock:.
          If you don't mind me asking where have you heard these rumors from, just curious. Cause if they do end up being true then this gonna be a pretty short arc.
          It would actually be the longest. So far the Goku black has 3 volumes. This one already has 1 volume and 3 chapters. If it would go on and have 8 volumes, it would make it the longest arc, with 3 volumes and 2 chapters.

          And no one should really care about some ''rumors''. No one knows when it will end. My prediction is it will end before the movie.
          Interesting, I've only recently jumped into the manga as I was curious to see how this arc was going to be handled, probably should go and read the rest of it. I'll probably ignore those rumors as well probably people just spreading misinformation.

          Post Reply