"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:12 am

batistabus wrote: Now, Hit is still able to stop SSG fully when he attempts to time-skip again, so I'd say he's somewhere near that level. That being said, it still seems likely that he would be a threat to a SSB with full use of his killing techniques. Goku thinks so, anyway.
It's not just that though: Goku also stated that Vegeta's God-Blue switch against Black (the one that uses Blue's full power in a quick burst) was similar to the trick he used against Hit in his fully-powered state, which could suggest that Hit's unhindered strength is somewhere close to Blue's standard, non-complete level if not outright capable of rivalling it.

The manga probably should have extended that fight somewhat to demonstrate this further, but it's something to take into consideration.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:26 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
batistabus wrote: Now, Hit is still able to stop SSG fully when he attempts to time-skip again, so I'd say he's somewhere near that level. That being said, it still seems likely that he would be a threat to a SSB with full use of his killing techniques. Goku thinks so, anyway.
It's not just that though: Goku also stated that Vegeta's God-Blue switch against Black (the one that uses Blue's full power in a quick burst) was similar to the trick he used against Hit in his fully-powered state, which could suggest that Hit's unhindered strength is somewhere close to Blue's standard, non-complete level if not outright capable of rivalling it.

The manga probably should have extended that fight somewhat to demonstrate this further, but it's something to take into consideration.
Ah, that's right. The burst of strength gained when transforming into Blue does seem to have been instrumental in breaking through, although this is possibly just a tie-in Toyotaro came up with after the fact. For Hit to improve so drastically over the course of a battle (explicitly weaker than God to possibly on par with Blue) does seem a bit off. Despite Goku's triumphant smirks, let's not forget that he had already expended quite a bit of energy learning how to beat time-skip by this point. While he certainly wasn't anywhere near Vegeta's 10%, it seems that he wouldn't exactly be at 100% himself.

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:59 am

batistabus wrote:
Rebel Instinct wrote:Hit is Super Saiyan Blue-tier strong.
I agree with almost everything you said, but I think you're overselling Hit's strength a bit. When Hit is only able to hold SSG Goku for less than 0.1 second, Whis comments:
Whis, Viz Translation wrote:Goku's power has become far superior to that of Hit's. That's what's happening here. Hit's skills are only effective against opponents who are near or below his level.
Now, Hit is still able to stop SSG fully when he attempts to time-skip again, so I'd say he's somewhere near that level. That being said, it still seems likely that he would be a threat to a SSB with full use of his killing techniques. Goku thinks so, anyway.

Just clarifying.
You know, you're absolutely right. I think I was overselling it a bit and looking back over my posts, I think I know why. I realize I wasn't always consistently distinguishing when I was referring to handicapped or unrestricted Hit. I was making Hit sound stronger during the actual match than I was intending. Going by the comments made by Goku and the others, I estimate full power unrestricted Hit to be roughly equal to Super Saiyan Blue Goku at the time - not necessarily in raw power, but as a package deal with his killing techniques. When I say that Hit is Super Saiyan Blue-tier, that's the Hit I'm referring to. I realize I wasn't being clear about that and was making it seem like Hit was Blue-tier during the fight itself, rather than as a whole.

Like you said, during the match Hit was only able to fully stop Super Saiyan God Goku at full power. After powering up, Hit was in a nebulous area between God and Blue that's hard to pin down. All we know for sure is that at full power, Hit was ultimately weaker than Super Saiyan Blue. After Goku breaks through the timeskip, things get hazy when Hit still manages to dodge the Kamehameha. Does that mean he's still able to get one over on Super Saiyan Blue or did he just get lucky? It's hard to say for sure. The fact that Hit still seemed raring to go afterward gave me the impression that things weren't settled yet and Hit would still put up a a good fight against Blue before going down.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. I'm happy to have the criticism. Keeps me grounded. :thumbup:
Of course, in retrospect we learn that things weren't quite the way we had initially thought, but I think that's fine considering the low-stakes tone presented throughout the entire tournament. The major appeals of this arc are the character interactions, fight gimmicks, and humor. All of those are great, so I'm perfectly fine with an antagonist who didn't end up being the biggest threat in the grand scheme of things.
---
The manga tells it like it is, while the anime tries to make it out to be grander than it aught to be. Feel free to like what you like, but I feel like many people have set themselves up for disappointment when it comes to Super in general.
You touched on another facet that I think allows me to enjoy the fight against Hit in the manga. I don't think Hit was meant to be a grandiose "final villain" style antagonist. Going by his role in the Tournament of Power, I feel like Hit was intended to be more of a rival character rather than something on the level of a major villain like Golden Frieza or Fused Zamasu. If Hit was the villain of the arc, then I would definitely have been left feeling underwhelmed like some people were. Hit wasn't Frieza, he wasn't Cell or Buu, he was a participant in a relatively low-stakes tournament and presented as Goku's new Universe 6 rival.

I think the anime tried to put Hit into the arc villain role instead of the arc rival role. In that respect, I can understand why they inflated Hit's power up so high. To give off the impression of a major villain, he had to be that strong. I think Toyotaro, for better or worse, wasn't aiming to make Hit out to be something so grand as that and simply wrote Hit as a rival to Goku and Vegeta. I had always thought this was the point from the very start, so from my perspective they made Hit too strong in the anime. If one were wanting Hit to be the next "Frieza/Cell/Buu" of the arc, I can see why they'd feel disappointed by the manga.
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:21 am

Still no leaks? Damn it!
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:28 am

jeffbr92 wrote:Still no leaks? Damn it!
Lmao I know it’s killing me!!

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:31 am

Leaks will probably be coming later today or tomorrow. Just don't start speculating about what is going on in the chapter after you see 2 or 3 pictures, cause the thread will once again get locked.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:38 am

IM21 wrote:Don't start speculating about what is going on in the chapter after you see 2 or 3 pictures, cause the thread will once again get locked.
The problem (according to some) wasn't the speculation but people jumping to conclusion and attacking the manga and even anime for what was little to know context.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:10 am

KenXyro said on Twitter we probably won’t get anything today :cry:

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:50 am

sintzu wrote:
IM21 wrote:Don't start speculating about what is going on in the chapter after you see 2 or 3 pictures, cause the thread will once again get locked.
The problem (according to some) wasn't the speculation but people jumping to conclusion and attacking the manga and even anime for what was little to know context.
You know it's gonna happen again

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:13 am

Can't wait for #18 vs Ribrianne with assistance from #17 this month with some side Vegeta or Muten Roshi. That's my prediction at least. I wouldn't mind half the chapter dedicated to non-Universe 7 fighter, Universe 6 not included(nothing against them rather have it later than now).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:20 am

OLKv3 wrote:You know it's gonna happen again
You're probably right but hopefully it won't get to the point where the topic is closed down, as far as I know that never happened before.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:36 am

LightBing wrote:Can't wait for #18 vs Ribrianne with assistance from #17 this month with some side Vegeta or Muten Roshi. That's my prediction at least. I wouldn't mind half the chapter dedicated to non-Universe 7 fighter, Universe 6 not included(nothing against them rather have it later than now).
Toyotaro drew a picture of the little bat guy from Universe 11 looking scared, so I'm assuming that this chapter is about them

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:39 am

Prediction

Roshi goes out with Universe 10 at the start.

Caulifla, Kale vs Pride Troopers. I think Cabba might fight them as well here.

Hit vs Jiren at the end and it is very quick.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:48 am

batistabus wrote:For Hit to improve so drastically over the course of a battle (explicitly weaker than God to possibly on par with Blue) does seem a bit off.
Well, it's not that he improved per se -- he just powered up to his full strength, which, according to Hit, doesn't last for longer than a minute. It would seem that for most of the match, he was fighting in a suppressed state that he was more accustomed to. Super Saiyan God surpasses the suppressed version of Hit, while it took a (presumably) 100% Blue to surpass the fully-powered state.

Of course, in the anime he has no such limitations and remains at full strength from the start.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:37 pm

sintzu wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:You know it's gonna happen again
You're probably right but hopefully it won't get to the point where the topic is closed down, as far as I know that never happened before.
It did happen once before if I recall correctly (so it's happened twice in total now). And it'll certainly happen again. And honestly, if people can't contain themselves and be patient enough to wait for the full chapter, particularly if they're going to "attack" the chapter or make comparisons with the anime (why doing this with an incomplete chapter is bad should be obvious), then maybe it's for the best that we have this thread temporarily locked.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:45 pm

Why not just report those that contain themselves? We have that button for a reason.

I doubt it should happen again cause now we've mostly settled down with Krillin and Tenshinhan's eliminations that it allows us to understand the pace and direction Toyotaro is taking. It sort of makes us lower our expectations of how certain characters will demonstrate themselves throughout this tournament.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:07 pm

For no particular reason,I would say a non U6/U7 focused chapter.
OLKv3 wrote:
LightBing wrote:Can't wait for #18 vs Ribrianne with assistance from #17 this month with some side Vegeta or Muten Roshi. That's my prediction at least. I wouldn't mind half the chapter dedicated to non-Universe 7 fighter, Universe 6 not included(nothing against them rather have it later than now).
Toyotaro drew a picture of the little bat guy from Universe 11 looking scared, so I'm assuming that this chapter is about them
I wouldn’t put much stock into that,he often doodles characters.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:20 pm

I feel that's one of the more negative aspects of the fanbase is that some people tend to jump to conclusions about an episode or chapter after reading some leaks and end up bashing it before it even comes out. Yet when the actual chapter or episode is out it isn't as bad as they had thought it was going to be.

Now for the heck of it I'd like to make a prediction or two of what might happen next chapter. I'm parroting what a lot of others have said at this point but I think next chapter will have a focus on Roshi and the saiyan girls. I'm guessing that Roshi will be taken out next chapter as I can't see him lasting much longer now that frost is out. In regards to the saiyan girls I'm guessing that will get to see them transform for the first time. Not entirely sure if they'll fight Goku or not as he is currently fighting the pride troopers. But considering how weak they are I wouldn't be surprised if Goku knocks them out or if the saiyan girl duo interrupts that fight for what ever reason. That's just a general prediction or more of a guess of what I think the main focus of next chapter will be.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Exline wrote:Why not just report those that contain themselves? We have that button for a reason.
I think it got too out of hand last time to control so the topic was closed down instead to save time and effort.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:31 pm

Let the manga hate salt pour out. It always makes for interesting discussion.

Can't wait till Hit hit's the bench. The massive trigger storm. :lolno: