"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Omniboy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:05 am

It was a fine chapter although weaker the last two (which is unfortunate for Hit). The art did look a bit off for some part of it, but I'm fine with that. He did have to take a couple of days off to do something else, so I imagine he had to rush a bit. Plus I don't always expect to look perfect, considering that this is the manga industry, where they over work their artist.

However I feel as though this chapter, or at least Hit's elimination, should have been held off a bit until later on. The flow of the fast, chaotic, pace with multiple fighters being taken out kinda contrast and conflicts with this chapter where we only see one fighter eliminated. That's not to say that there aren't other people being taken out, and in some panels, it is shown that other people are fighting, but I feel that there has to be a more natural turn in the way things were handled, with some of the weaker fighters being taken out first, especially since we have Roshi, and some other small fighters there, and then introduce a huge narrative shift that changes the flow and tension of the arc.

But however, I still liked Hit this chapter. It was cool of Toyo to have Hit realize that he can't just rely on time-skip all the time, and have him improve physically for when it doesn't work. I like that development in Hit, and well as his respect for Goku, although Hit could have probably still been better. However, since I know that Toyo is going to keep going with this series, I hope that one day, he will give Hit the rematch with Goku .

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:12 am

Doctor. wrote: If Jiren's entire shtick remains the same ("Strength is absolute"), then it's a pointless and actually counter-intuitive change to make him wise.
Ridiculous post. We don't know what the full story is yet with him in the manga, so we don't know how we will get to that reveal.

Also, it's silly to think strength means just power levels. Emotional strength, mental strength, strong wills etc. are all different forms of strength. We don't know what manga Jiren cares about, so trying to shit-talk the manga based on assumptions is silly. Very silly.
Omniboy wrote:However I feel as though this chapter, or at least Hit's elimination, should have been held off a bit until later on. The flow of the fast, chaotic, pace with multiple fighters being taken out kinda contrast and conflicts with this chapter where we only see one fighter eliminated.
This is actually exactly what I expected. First two chapters were devoted to establishing the frenetic pace, thus planting it in the reader's mind that there's a lot of stuff going on right now. Then this chapter slowed things down by focusing in on the main 3 universes, with their 3 main players. This is pretty par for the course. Next month things will most likely get hectic again as we jump from battle to battle. That didn't happen this chapter since this was a very important fight.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:16 am

TKA wrote:
Doctor. wrote: If Jiren's entire shtick remains the same ("Strength is absolute"), then it's a pointless and actually counter-intuitive change to make him wise.
Ridiculous post. We don't know what the full story is yet with him in the manga, so we don't know how we will get to that reveal.

Also, it's silly to think strength means just power levels. Emotional strength, mental strength, strong wills etc. are all different forms of strength. We don't know what manga Jiren cares about, so trying to shit-talk the manga based on assumptions is silly. Very silly.
You're obsessively defensive.

I'm saying that if Jiren remains the same in the manga (not that he will, if), then it's the wrong approach to take. Physical, brute strength is everything the Jiren we know cares about.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:22 am

I maintain my opinion that this is the weakest chapter of the arc.

The main problem is the dull combat. There's barely any dynamism there's just a lot of Jiren blocking and standing around, the choreography is mostly absent.
When the choice of the chapter is to focus 95% of it on a single fight, with that fight lacking for the most part of course the chapter suffers immensely.

A little irk I have is Goku facing Toppo and Dyspo with SSJ2. I wonder if Toyotarõ forgot his line that SSJ God has barely any energy consumption. At least it was fast and not extremely forced, just a small character induced stupidity.

Jiren acknowledging Goku at the end was pretty cool and the most important is Goku telling his plan. Now he isn't an idiot running blindly into death aka Jiren, knowing he's going to lose. Goku was never an idiot like that. Seems like the royal rumble between the Hakaishins served for Goku to understand how to defeat one who challenges them.

Hit's role was OK, its nice to see his growth but it do much for me.

I hope we return to the more chaotic nature we had before.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:24 am

Did anyone notice that Beerus said to Vegeta that he'll need to train for a million years to match him, and Dyspo said the same thing to Goku? I'm pretty sure this confirms that Dyspo and Beerus are alternate universe counterparts.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:28 am

LightBing wrote: A little irk I have is Goku facing Toppo and Dyspo with SSJ2. I wonder if Toyotarõ forgot his line that SSJ God has barely any energy consumption. At least it was fast and not extremely forced, just a small character induced stupidity.
I know I'm nitpicking, but why do people say goku was SS2? He was obviously in SS1. The reason he didn't use SSG was because he was trying to save all of his stamina. Just because SSG is efficient, doesn't mean it can last 40 minutes.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:29 am

Doctor. wrote: You're obsessively defensive.
Attack the argument, not the person. This is a waste of time and is thoroughly uninteresting.
Doctor. wrote:I'm saying that if Jiren remains the same in the manga.
In other words, you're trying to discredit a post by using knowledge from the anime, despite the post talking about the manga's interpretation? Seems kinda silly.
Doctor. wrote:Physical, brute strength is everything the Jiren we know cares about.
We don't know anything about what this Jiren cares about. All we know is he's in this to make a wish.
LightBing wrote: A little irk I have is Goku facing Toppo and Dyspo with SSJ2. I wonder if Toyotarõ forgot his line that SSJ God has barely any energy consumption. At least it was fast and not extremely forced, just a small character induced stupidity.
It takes more power to be in Super Saiyan God than it does to be in Super Saiyan 2, regardless of how efficient Super Saiyan God is. It's like comparing 500W flourescent bulb with a 100W regular bulb. The former is very efficient, but still takes more energy than the latter. We know most people in the tournament are conserving their energy based on what Frost said and did last chapter. The only people who have fought seriously in the tournament thus far are Jiren, Frost, Goku and Hit.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:33 am

TKA wrote:Attack the argument, not the person. This is a waste of time and is thoroughly uninteresting.

In other words, you're trying to discredit a post by using knowledge from the anime, despite the post talking about the manga's interpretation? Seems kinda silly.

We don't know anything about what this Jiren cares about. All we know is he's in this to make a wish.
I'm not attacking anyone. I'm making an observation. You are obsessively defensive. If you take offense to it, that's your problem.

Define "discredit a post," because all I did was engage in a discussion. I disagreed with what you said.

We know enough. We know he has the same sad backstory, since it was crafted by Toriyama himself, and we know that the arc will have to follow the same plot points as the anime version, meaning we'll probably get the trust motif being shoved down our throats during the ending portion of the tournament. That already paints a clear enough picture of how Jiren's character may be written here.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:36 am

Bergamo wrote:
I know I'm nitpicking, but why do people say goku was SS2? He was obviously in SS1. The reason he didn't use SSG was because he was trying to save all of his stamina. Just because SSG is efficient, doesn't mean it can last 40 minutes.
Because he WAS in SS2:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
This is the SS2 hairstyle. One large fronte bang, and two smaller ones on the side.
Get Fucked, C_unt

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:39 am

LightBing wrote: I hope we return to the more chaotic nature we had before.
Yeah this irked, the ring really empty here,there only two panel with the other Universe.
Bergamo wrote:I know I'm nitpicking, but why do people say goku was SS2? He was obviously in SS1. The reason he didn't use SSG was because he was trying to save all of his stamina. Just because SSG is efficient, doesn't mean it can last 40 minutes.
His hair is more different when he is in SS2[spoiler]This is super saiyan 2Image This is super saiyan 1Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by The gr on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mostly active on discord.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:41 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Because he WAS in SS2:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
This is the SS2 hairstyle. One large fronte bang, and two smaller ones on the side.
There wasn't any lightning, though. I'm just going to blame Toriyama for making 2 forms that look almost identical.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:42 am

Bergamo wrote:There wasn't any lightning, though. I'm just going to blame Toriyama for making 2 forms that look almost identical.
But they don't? SS2 is extremely easy to distinguish from SS1 when it comes to Goku.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:43 am

Bergamo wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Bergamo wrote: I know I'm nitpicking, but why do people say goku was SS2? He was obviously in SS1. The reason he didn't use SSG was because he was trying to save all of his stamina. Just because SSG is efficient, doesn't mean it can last 40 minutes.
Because he WAS in SS2:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
There wasn't any lightning, though. I'm just going to blame Toriyama for making 2 forms that look almost identical.
The lightning is something that always gets forgotten nowdays with SS2. But at least there's a clear difference between Goku's SS and SS2 hairstyles, like the user above me pointed out. It's Vegeta's that causes more problems :lol:
Get Fucked, C_unt

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:56 am

Doctor. wrote:
Bergamo wrote:There wasn't any lightning, though. I'm just going to blame Toriyama for making 2 forms that look almost identical.
But they don't? SS2 is extremely easy to distinguish from SS1 when it comes to Goku.

I had always thought the lightning distinguished the forms, but then we got Goku SS1 with lightning and Goku SS2 without lightning, and that's when I became confused. I actually didn't know about the change in hairstyle until now.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:56 am

Enjoyed the chapter mostly because Manga Jiren is cool, he doesnt act like a moron like his anime counterpart.

Poor Hit getting the Tien treatment(has the same face as Tien when Frost punched him).

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:02 pm

prince212 wrote:I agree with all except Toyo amateur definition , he’s a professional, they pay him for that
Yes. I meant to say rookie, but it was too late to edit by the time I realized it.
Last edited by batistabus on Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:14 pm

I haven't seen anyone mention it,but only 5 minutes have passed.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:I haven't seen anyone mention it,but only 5 minutes have passed.
There's also Krillin commentary. Smh at those who said the manga would be better.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:18 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:I haven't seen anyone mention it,but only 5 minutes have passed.
Yeah, I can buy that. Unlike the anime which dictates the pace at which you consume the material, if you read at a decent pace you can buy that it's 5 minutes. Especially since in the manga multiple people are getting blindsided and taken out in quick succession.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:25 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Enjoyed the chapter mostly because Manga Jiren is cool, he doesnt act like a moron like his anime counterpart.
I believe we should wait a few more chapters to see how Toyotaro handles Jiren before stating that.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.