"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bergamo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:30 pm

prince212 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:I don't get why people said that Chapter 36 had mediocre art. I get there are a few awkward panels, but the way that 17 and Ribrianne were drawn really stood out to me in this chapter. If the chapter's art was 90% good, doesn't that mean it had good art? Why do people have to focus on that panel of 17 and Damon?
Yeap that panel is weird, but I’m with you , the rest was nice to me , Ribrianne first appearance in the chapter big panel , 18 elimination kick pose ... art was good , and story too , beauty u4 in 15 pages with nice gags , in 15 pages he made it to feel something towards Ribrianne and his girls combined with humor .
Only Jiren retreat was too force or just make me think that he’s not that anime beast
Some people focus on bads , some in goods , I guess
The way that Jiren retreated so casually was pretty bad, but without the spirit bomb or ultra instinct, there was nothing Goku could do against Jiren. Goku vs Jiren would have gone exactly like it did last chapter.

I'm also excites for the new chapter in 2 weeks. I haven't seen too much speculation, but I think that u2 and u10 are definitely out. I don't know if Toyo is crazy enough to go for the triple universe elimination, but he's surprised me consistently. Also, where are Frieza and Roshi?
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:43 pm

Bergamo wrote: I'm also excites for the new chapter in 2 weeks. I haven't seen too much speculation, but I think that u2 and u10 are definitely out. I don't know if Toyo is crazy enough to go for the triple universe elimination, but he's surprised me consistently. Also, where are Frieza and Roshi?
Yeap my bet is those two universes out next chapter .
I will say ..where are the u6 saiyans ... I think is their turn .. and I rather kale-broly than Kefla , good chance to get rid of some fighters .. and get soon to the final 10 fighters .
With Ribrianne out , I.m.o ,that best moment of universe 4 erased I’m afraid is not gonna happen.
Freeza can keep outscene, but soon I’ll like some Roshi mafuba
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:14 am

prince212 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: I'm also excites for the new chapter in 2 weeks. I haven't seen too much speculation, but I think that u2 and u10 are definitely out. I don't know if Toyo is crazy enough to go for the triple universe elimination, but he's surprised me consistently. Also, where are Frieza and Roshi?
I will say ..where are the u6 saiyans ... I think is their turn .. and I rather kale-broly than Kefla , good chance to get rid of some fighters .. and get soon to the final 10 fighters .
With Ribrianne out , I.m.o ,that best moment of universe 4 erased I’m afraid is not gonna happen.
Ribrianne wasn't the last member of her universe in the anime. In both mediums universe 2(Ribrianne's universe) went out with the cross-dressing Magical Men.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:36 am

Bergamo wrote:
prince212 wrote:
Ribrianne wasn't the last member of her universe in the anime. In both mediums universe 2(Ribrianne's universe) went out with the cross-dressing Magical Men.
Ohhhh ok , still a chance then, u2 last moment was nice and lead us to get out of the stage for a sec.. , that erasing moment , Champa and that god of destruction guy coming out from the robot were good and I want some in the manga , the sadness of the last breeze that make us feel that this is not a joke , because I didn’t feel much with u9 elimination... only piccolo felt that ... and freeza wasn’t in the mood as usual hehehehe well played

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:44 am

Exline wrote: Toyotaro seems to be not as great in character utilization in this tournament. He did really well with the Zen Exhibition Match, but not so much with the actual Tournament, which is what confuses me.
Are you referring to Goku's extra match with Toppo or the actual Zen Exhibition Match? Because if you're referring to the latter, I'm interested in hearing what you think is so different between that and the main tournament. Preferably with some specific examples of things one of them offered that the other didn't.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:59 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Saiga wrote:They ARE homages. The traced Captain America image doesn't change the fact that his previous homages were clearly not traced from the original image.
Still doesn't change the fact that Toyotaro homages are bad and overused.
That's not a fact nor is it related to the point I was making. I'm no fan of the homages either but they're not comparable to the issue of tracing.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:37 am

Saiga wrote:You can't really call someone wrong for having an opinion. The scene is remarkably stupid, for the basic reasons TKA mentioned and a few he didn't - mainly, the scene is there because of the Super anime's habit of trying to recapture prior moments of glory, which are never as good as the first time around. The anime fight between Jiren and Goku is too similar to Goku vs Freeza to have its own stand out moments - it even copied the Kaio-ken reveal wholecloth from that fight and tried to make it a big deal.
>someone criticizes something he never watched
>you can't call him wrong on that

Yes you can,you can't have an opinion on something you never watched or read,its not an opinion but mindless hate at this point.
You can hate/dislike whatever you want but at the least watch/read it whatever you are going to criticize,its common sense,not like this specific user is new to this.

batistabus wrote: I don't think TKA deserves criticism for dropping the anime once he realized he didn't enjoy it. He decided it wasn't for him, but also didn't decide to go into the anime thread week-after-week to criticize the thing. Several users here could learn from that. The fact that he was able to guess how things played out for that scene only further supports the trend that he's pointing out.
You are just twisting things now,people called him on judging a specific portion of the story he admitted to have never watched but of course you would try to justify that,you 2 seem really keen on pushing Toyotaro's manga to the point you would defend him tracing.
Just because you two like the same thing that does not mean others should follow your ignorance on judging material without seeing it just because there would be more people who put the thing you like on a pedestal like you do.

Also many users here have already mentioned how the sprit bomb scene went,so its not like its hard to know.

I think that Kafla and Agnlaasa were Toei's ideas. So far, Toyotaro is only credited with creating some Gods of Destruction, while Toei has taken credit for designing the majority of fighters from other universes. Why do you think Toyotaro has an affinity for fusion? Is it because he included Vegetto in the manga? He stated that he did so as to not disappoint fans, presumably because Vegetto had already appeared in the anime.
The interview made it clear that Vegetto was never part of the original plot draft before Toyotaro suggested it,are you really gonna defend that and try to push it to Toei as well?And even if it was because Toei included it he still had no reason to do it himself.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:51 am

Whatever wrote:
Saiga wrote:You can't really call someone wrong for having an opinion. The scene is remarkably stupid, for the basic reasons TKA mentioned and a few he didn't - mainly, the scene is there because of the Super anime's habit of trying to recapture prior moments of glory, which are never as good as the first time around. The anime fight between Jiren and Goku is too similar to Goku vs Freeza to have its own stand out moments - it even copied the Kaio-ken reveal wholecloth from that fight and tried to make it a big deal.
>someone criticizes something he never watched

Yes you can,you can't have an opinion on something you never watched or read,its not an opinion but mindless hate at this point.
You can hate/dislike whatever you want but at the least watch/read it whatever you are going to criticize,its common sense,not like this specific user is new to this.

batistabus wrote: I don't think TKA deserves criticism for dropping the anime once he realized he didn't enjoy it. He decided it wasn't for him, but also didn't decide to go into the anime thread week-after-week to criticize the thing. Several users here could learn from that. The fact that he was able to guess how things played out for that scene only further supports the trend that he's pointing out.
You are just twisting things now,people called him on judging a specific portion of the story he admitted to have never watched but of course you would try to justify that,you 2 seem really keen on pushing Toyotaro's manga to the point you would defend him tracing.
Just because you two like the same thing that does not mean others should follow your ignorance on judging material without seeing it just because there would be more people who put the thing you like on a pedestal like you do.

Also many users here have already mentioned how the sprit bomb scene went,so its not like its hard to know.

I think that Kafla and Agnlaasa were Toei's ideas. So far, Toyotaro is only credited with creating some Gods of Destruction, while Toei has taken credit for designing the majority of fighters from other universes. Why do you think Toyotaro has an affinity for fusion? Is it because he included Vegetto in the manga? He stated that he did so as to not disappoint fans, presumably because Vegetto had already appeared in the anime.
The interview made it clear that Vegetto was never part of the original plot draft before Toyotaro suggested it,are you really gonna defend that and try to push it to Toei as well?And even if it was because Toei included it he still had no reason to do it himself.
Should people never mention anything that they've never seen before? Is this a specific circumstance where someone's opinion can be wrong? The fact is that people will have impressions about things they haven't seen, and even though they obviously aren't as useful as fully formed opinions when it comes to discussion, people can still express them. You never have to agree with something that somebody else says, so I suggest that you politely disagree, rather than call other people ignorant and needlessly bring up tracing again.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:19 am

Bergamo wrote: Should people never mention anything that they've never seen before? Is this a specific circumstance where someone's opinion can be wrong? The fact is that people will have impressions about things they haven't seen, and even though they obviously aren't as useful as fully formed opinions when it comes to discussion, people can still express them. You never have to agree with something that somebody else says, so I suggest that you politely disagree, rather than call other people ignorant and needlessly bring up tracing again.
I brought tracing as an example(which is why i only mentioned in 1 sentence) of some specific users banding together and justifying 'thing x' just because they like the same thing despite that they would not do the same thing if they were on opposite sides of the same example.

If someone came this thread,said he stopped reading the manga after the Future Trunks arc,then criticized the Top arc without reading it,would he not be ignorant?
Would he not be wrong for criticizing something he did not read?
Same thing with the user they are defending expect its the anime instead of the manga.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:54 am

Except it's not that at all. TKA didn't say 'the TOP arc of the anime is bad' he said 'if they did this particular thing, it's dumb, because of these reasons' he doesn't need to watch the anime to know how the Spirit Bomb should work.

Saying he's wrong because he didn't watch the anime is just completely missing the meaning in what he actually said.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:37 pm

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:51 pm

prince212 wrote:Image
Satan getting ready for park ranger duty.

He got to get that environmentalist donations and approval.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:26 pm

Whatever wrote:The interview made it clear that Vegetto was never part of the original plot draft before Toyotaro suggested it,are you really gonna defend that and try to push it to Toei as well?And even if it was because Toei included it he still had no reason to do it himself.

you 2 seem really keen on pushing Toyotaro's manga to the point you would defend him tracing.
If Toei did not include Vegetto in the anime, that fan expectation of his appearance would not exist.

I'm not interested in your personal attacks, and I have not defended Toyotaro for tracing.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:27 am

It seems like some people are offended that I didn't watch the anime.
alakazam^ wrote: So, you spend all this time bashing the anime for who-knows-what reason and you haven't even watched it...
Clearly I watched the anime enough to predict (postdict?) what they did accurately enough that it has rustled you. You are quite clearly missing the point though if that's all you took from my post.

The anime is built on pointless fanservice and nonsense filler. The anime is also built on replicating moments from the original series for cheap nostalgia bucks.
Praising the manga to no end already reeked of bias
Why do you think I'm "biased"? The anime and the manga aren't sports teams, friend. They're stories. I like the one that tells a better, more coherent, more structurally-sound story.

"Bias" is a stupid word in this context. I like the manga better because it's just a better product as far as I'm concerned. It gets praise because it's good.
but I have no idea how you want people to take you seriously when, apparently, you don't even know what you're talking about.
I'm not the one complaining every time someone criticizes something I like. I'm not the one trying to discredit other posters because they post something I do not like. Refute my points, tackle my arguments or don't engage with me in this thread. Personal attacks are so passé and juvenile.
alakazam^ wrote:What I said was that his criticism was wrong since he called everything "remarkably stupid" and none of what he described actually was. I'm not surprised since he didn't even watched it so how would he even know what he was talking about?
The Spirit Bomb being huge despite so little genki isn't stupid?

Pretty sure it is because that's not how the technique works lol.

Pretty sure it is because it was clearly inserted just to drum up unearned emotional responses from the audience.
Whatever wrote: >someone criticizes something he never watched
I watched 104 episodes of the Super anime though lol.
You sure can't. Considering I watched most of the show, determined that the vast majority of what I saw was stupid and then made an informed inference based on my experience with the anime that just so happened to turn out to be correct.
mindless hate at this point.
Hardly mindless when an argument is inherent in the point. That argument being "The Super anime tugs at nostalgia and is rife with fan service because it lacks the creative insight necessary to put together a compelling, fulfilling, or even—at the bare minimum—just a consistent story."
not like this specific user is new to this.
you 2 seem really keen on pushing Toyotaro's manga to the point you would defend him tracing.
Ad hominem is garbage. That's why I stopped replying to you eons ago, friend. Attack the argument, not the person. Don't derail the thread with this tripe. If you wanna insult my intelligence, take it to PMs. :thumbup:
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:32 am

alakazam^ wrote:
TKA wrote:That happened in the anime?

If so, that's remarkably stupid. They're in another dimension. The only place he could get genki from is the arena, and I highly doubt the 50 or so people there could generate enough genki to make a spirit bomb strong enough to kill even Saiyan Saga Vegeta.

But knowing the anime, I bet the spirit bomb was huge for some reason.
So, you spend all this time bashing the anime for who-knows-what reason and you haven't even watched it... Praising the manga to no end already reeked of bias but I have no idea how you want people to take you seriously when, apparently, you don't even know what you're talking about.
batistabus wrote:-mysterious new fighters from different universes with strange abilities and formidable strength
-further development of the power of gods (seen through Goku, Vegeta, and Toppo)
-further expansion of the godly realm and beyond
-what has Universe 6 been up to?

So far, I think the manga has done a much better job handling each of those categories.
Where did the manga do a better job than the anime? The manga didn't even touch half of those points.
Honestly I agree with you here. I hate how the manga fanboys bash the anime just for the sheer fact they prefer the manga to it. That's fine to prefer the manga, but praising it while shitting on the anime without having even watched it is beyond stupid.

The Genki Dama being huge in the anime was admittedly quite weird and it worked differently compared to the previous ones, although we may say Goku was able to increase its size as he fired it at full power and then further increased his power by using Super Saiyan Blue with Kaioken x20. But I agree, Goku firing the Genki Dama during the ToP wasn't the best choice but it served the purpose of showing how powerful Jiren was and Goku was able to achieve Ultra Instinct by surviving the explosion inside his own Genki Dama. I loved episodes 109 and 110 so I don't really care if they took some liberties with the Genki Dama's size.
Goku using the Genki Dama may also be part of Toriyama's outline so I will wait to see how Goku will achieve UI in the manga, because I really want to see how TKA will justify Toyotaro if the scene plays out in the same way in the manga.

The excessive praising of the manga from TKA makes it obvious he is extremely biased towards it for some reasons, which is why I avoid discussions with him as he will always try to explain why the manga is closer to Toriyama's original manga for X reasons and why the anime isn't even though we now know he didn't even watch it. This makes it frustrating to discuss with him because he will never admit that the anime does many things better than the manga.

I personally prefer the anime, but I have always admitted it when the manga did some things better than the anime. I was even looking forward to the manga's ToP because I hoped Toyotaro would have been able to do a better job than the anime team, as drawing a battle royale in a monthly manga format should theoretically be an easier thing than animating it week by week, but unfortunately Toyotaro has deluded me so far, even though I don't hate his ToP, I just prefer the anime version so far.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 am

emperior wrote: Honestly I agree with you here. I hate how the manga fanboys bash the anime just for the sheer fact they prefer the manga to it. That's fine to prefer the manga, but praising it while shitting on the anime without having even watched it is beyond stupid.
You people treat these like they're your sports teams or whatever. They're not. They're stories. There are no "sides" to choose.

Here are the facts:

1. Toriyama gives Toei and Toyotaro the same notes.

2. The manga and anime are built on those notes.

3. Those notes aren't detailed enough to be a series, so Toyotaro and the anime add their own shit to it.

Now, the idea that one should never talk about the other is ridiculous. They're too similar to not compare and contrast. As a connoisseur of myth and occasional writer, I do that with most stories I engage with. To say I have no right to critique the anime because I prefer the manga—to say I have no right to critique the anime because I only watched 79.3893% (104/131 episodes) of it, which I did not enjoy—both of those qualifiers are stupid and asinine.

It's kind of amazing the level of ill-will that's allowed to be in this thread. Everyone A certain set of posters assumes the worst of everyone else. Saiga and batistabus immediately picked up on what I was saying given the discussion at hand, but the rest of you chose to ignore it in favor of your own agenda—to try to discredit me as a person rather than to tackle the argument right in front of your faces.

Discussion in this thread might just be impossible because of this set of users. I know I'm not the first to echo this complaint, and we know for a fact that several users avoid this thread and don't post here anymore because of the toxicity from this certain set of users.

Like, bros, it's just a goddamn story. People not liking the anime or preferring the manga will literally never affect your life. As batistabus said earlier in this thread, the manga is an afterthought promotion-wise, and most things take their references from the anime since that's what most people are familiar with. You literally only have to deal with the manga in this thread, while people like me who want coherent storytelling are constantly exposed to stupid shit from the anime. I don't post in the anime discussion threads, nor do I discuss other matters pertaining to it outside of this thread as a courtesy to others; maybe try doing similar.
The Genki Dama being huge in the anime was admittedly quite weird and it worked differently compared to the previous ones, although we may say Goku was able to increase its size as he fired it at full power and then further increased his power by using Super Saiyan Blue with Kaioken x20
That's not how the Genkidama works. It has nothing to do with ki. It uses genki. Everyone contributes the same amount of genki. If they didn't, the Spirit bomb wouldn't have needed anyone's genki but Gohan's in the Buu Arc. You shouldn't need to come up with bullshit explanations like this to justify things happening in a sequential story. It should be logically and internally consistent, but after 104 episodes of Super's anime, it's blatantly obvious that telling a good story comes fourth to nostalgia, fanservice and merchandising.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:50 am

TKA wrote:
emperior wrote: Honestly I agree with you here. I hate how the manga fanboys bash the anime just for the sheer fact they prefer the manga to it. That's fine to prefer the manga, but praising it while shitting on the anime without having even watched it is beyond stupid.
You people treat these like they're your sports teams or whatever. They're not. They're stories. There are no "sides" to choose.

Here are the facts:

1. Toriyama gives Toei and Toyotaro the same notes.

2. The manga and anime are built on those notes.

3. Those notes aren't detailed enough to be a series, so Toyotaro and the anime add their own shit to it.

Now, the idea that one should never talk about the other is ridiculous. They're too similar to not compare and contrast. As a connoisseur of myth and occasional writer, I do that with most stories I engage with. To say I have no right to critique the anime because I prefer the manga—to say I have no right to critique the anime because I only watched 79.3893% (104/131 episodes) of it, which I did not enjoy—both of those qualifiers are stupid and asinine.

It's kind of amazing the level of ill-will that's allowed to be in this thread. Everyone A certain set of posters assumes the worst of everyone else. Saiga and batistabus immediately picked up on what I was saying given the discussion at hand, but the rest of you chose to ignore it in favor of your own agenda—to try to discredit me as a person rather than to tackle the argument right in front of your faces.

Discussion in this thread might just be impossible because of this set of users. I know I'm not the first to echo this complaint, and we know for a fact that several users avoid this thread and don't post here anymore because of the toxicity from this certain set of users.

Like, bros, it's just a goddamn story. People not liking the anime or preferring the manga will literally never affect your life. As batistabus said earlier in this thread, the manga is an afterthought promotion-wise, and most things take their references from the anime since that's what most people are familiar with. You literally only have to deal with the manga in this thread, while people like me who want coherent storytelling are constantly exposed to stupid shit from the anime. I don't post in the anime discussion threads, nor do I discuss other matters pertaining to it outside of this thread as a courtesy to others; maybe try doing similar.
The Genki Dama being huge in the anime was admittedly quite weird and it worked differently compared to the previous ones, although we may say Goku was able to increase its size as he fired it at full power and then further increased his power by using Super Saiyan Blue with Kaioken x20
That's not how the Genkidama works. It has nothing to do with ki. It uses genki. Everyone contributes the same amount of genki. If they didn't, the Spirit bomb wouldn't have needed anyone's genki but Gohan's in the Buu Arc. You shouldn't need to come up with bullshit explanations like this to justify things happening in a sequential story. It should be logically and internally consistent, but after 104 episodes of Super's anime, it's blatantly obvious that telling a good story comes fourth to nostalgia, fanservice and merchandising.
I sometimes feel certain people in this thread just want to say something that'll cause such an unnecessary debate.
Instead of talking about the actual manga, we have to deal with an individual who is too sensitive about the anime being insulted when comparing it to the manga.

However TKA, I do sort of agree that you should at least watch or just read the summary of certain anime episodes in order to compare it to the manga. It's a bit unfair to try and compare both when you haven't even watched most of the other. Not suggesting you need to force yourself to watch the whole series, but at least take the time to understand the premise of certain episodes when comparing events.

I commend you for the ridiculous prediction of the Spirit bomb being used against Jiren. It was indeed such a stupid decision by the Anime Staff to do so lmao.

Goku vs Jiren in the manga is a bit similar to the battle we got in Episode 109 (1st Round of Goku vs. Jiren) mixed in with 111 (Hit vs. Jiren). I'll definitely admit that Chapter 35 incorporated the content for these two episodes much better. The fight for Goku vs. Jiren was pretty boring, a bit fanservicey as well, and felt so awkward with how Jiren's character was meant to be a stoic hero but acts like an asshole for no reason why. The manga's interpretation felt much more natural, but was still just as boring, maybe even less entertaining than the anime's interpretation. However, Hit's Fight was incredibly better compared to the anime by a long shot. The Time Lag technique is much more interesting and makes more sense when relating it to Hit's temporal abilities. The Time Cage makes little to no sense whatsoever. Skipping time makes you "save" time and allows you trap someone in time? Maybe with a better explanation, it'd be passable. However we didn't get that for the Time Cage, and it ended up as Laughable and forgettable.

And Marlowe, I've thought about providing an example for you, but I am not sure I want to spend my time in doing so as my last few posts with points that I'm curious as to whether or not are either irrefutable or just straight up nonsense; seem to constantly be ignored by the people of this thread. People who can only talk about the same few things we've already discussed, such as Toyotaro's tracing and whether the anime is better or not than the manga. Ironic since most ask for a change in discussion.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Exline wrote:
However TKA, I do sort of agree that you should at least watch or just read the summary of certain anime episodes in order to compare it to the manga.
What?

This is silly. The notion that anybody who hasn't watched the entirety of the anime adaptation shouldn't be able to talk about it is nonsense. This is an episodic tv show. Every episode should be able to stand up to scrutiny. Me being able to guess how a plot point like that unfolded is exemplary of everything that makes me not want to engage with the anime.

This is a silly diversion to detract from the original point, which is "The Super anime tugs at nostalgia and is rife with fan service because it lacks the creative insight necessary to put together a compelling, fulfilling, or even—at the bare minimum—just a consistent story."

The fact that so many people latched on to a passing remark to try to discredit the poster instead of addressing the argument just further shows how lacking in substance Toei's work is.

Also, since you probably missed it, I wasn't comparing the manga's plot points to the anime's. Someone said they hope the manga skips the Spirit Bomb, I was "surprised" that they did it and expressed my revulsion at the idea. How would I even be able to compare a plot point I didn't know existed until someone pointed it out? The point of comparison has always been in how the manga's story is told vs how the anime's story is told. One is geared to telling a story while the other is geared to merchandising.

I probably won't ever subject myself to watching the anime again, and I have no interest in reading any episode synopses. I find it both nonsensical and beneath me to have to indulge in something I get no enjoyment from just to please people on the internet.

This is the end of the "Spirit Bomb" discussion. Henceforth, I'll only talk about how the anime is creatively-bankrupt and appeals to nostalgia. I won't talk about which episodes I need to watch/haven't watched. I'm not, nor should I ever have been the subject here.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:36 pm

TKA wrote:
This is silly. The notion that anybody who hasn't watched the entirety of the anime adaptation shouldn't be able to talk about it is nonsense. This is an episodic tv show. Every episode should be able to stand up to scrutiny. Me being able to guess how a plot point like that unfolded is exemplary of everything that makes me not want to engage with the anime.

This is a silly diversion to detract from the original point, which is "The Super anime tugs at nostalgia and is rife with fan service because it lacks the creative insight necessary to put together a compelling, fulfilling, or even—at the bare minimum—just a consistent story."\

Also, since you probably missed it, I wasn't comparing the manga's plot points to the anime's. Someone said they hope the manga skips the Spirit Bomb, I was "surprised" that they did it and expressed my revulsion at the idea. How would I even be able to compare a plot point I didn't know existed until someone pointed it out? The point of comparison has always been in how the manga's story is told vs how the anime's story is told. One is geared to telling a story while the other is geared to merchandising.
But I didn't say you had to watch it's entirety, and neither did I say you can't talk about it. The next sentence you didn't include specified that wasn't the point I was making. I said comparing events should require you to understand both the mediums interpretation of these events, which I believed you were doing according to the other posts. My apologies if this wasn't the case.

This is the end of the "Spirit Bomb" discussion. Henceforth, I'll only talk about how the anime is creative-bankrupt and appeals to nostalgia. I won't talk about which episodes I need to watch/haven't watched. I'm not, nor should I ever have been the subject here.
Like I said, an unnecessary debate started by a sensitive individual.

And what's with your sheer unwillingness to give the anime any sort of satisfaction? It's had quite a few great moments within those 104 episodes you've watched. I certainly don't think it is all "creative-bankrupt and appeals to nostalgia." It's got a few people willing to bring Dragon Ball back to it's prime with the likes of the Staff of episodes 94 and 95, who've provided with a better and more appealing version of Frieza that most of us have come to enjoy after the embarrassment that was the RoF Arc.

Many episodes after 104 is where the art, animation, and some storytelling get even better. I personally feel you're depriving yourself of some great entertainment because of this stubbornness, but you can do whatever you want with your life man. I only made a suggestion to watch specific episodes for comparing events, which I had an inkling that you weren't doing much of anyways in the first place. Just wanted to clarify that for not only you, but Saiga as well and slightly supported that point Whatever had made.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:32 pm

I don't know why it always comes down to this, but a handful of people need to step back and reflect on how they're approaching discussion in this thread.

If you can't be bothered to converse without being condescending and bordering on the edge of being blatantly insulting to each other as a person, then stay out of the thread. No more free warnings. Account strikes will be levied against your accounts from here on out for each infraction. As per the usual spiel, they will lead to bans from the entirety of the website. So I suggest you review the community guidelines before contributing further. Especially within this thread.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)