"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
TKA
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 883
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TKA » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Kale's character being Trunks during the Cell fight is great. She just doesn't want to hurt Caulifla's pride by revealing she's actually stronger, like Trunks when Vegeta was getting bodied by Cell.

No real strong thoughts on this chapter. It was okay. I liked previous ones better, but this is doing a good job by making Frieza actually villainous instead of "lol that wacky Frieza".

Addendum: Kale's power level doesn't bother me in this version. There's build up to it, and it was already established that she's faster than Cabba. In addition, all her attacks mostly just caught Goku and Frieza offguard, rather than her outright besting them.
Last edited by TKA on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder


http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 3292
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:29 pm

TKA wrote:Kale's character being Trunks during the Cell fight is great. She just doesn't want to hurt Caulifla's pride by revealing she's actually stronger, like Trunks when Vegeta was getting bodied by Cell.".
Bingo... I was trying to remember whom.

User avatar
prince212
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 795
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: wild west

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by prince212 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 pm

Was an average chapter ( good ) , I guess most of the people is having a great impression because the interactions and characterization that we knew from the anime version were :roll: ..... totally different.... and this manga version did it really well . Glad the line of kale sayin son goku, son goku kill was eliminated as well as the teach lessons by goku.
I’d like to see a colored kale or something to know if he’s taking the greenish hair color or not . I rather not .
So , well played by toyotaro, as usual :clap:
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1822
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 pm

Very enjoyable chapter. Didn't think it was any better than anything else we've gotten from the ToP overall, but I'm happy it's being so well received, so I'll shut up about that.

Kale's power is possibly the first thing that I outright dislike about the DBS outline. Toei seems to be at fault for this, but I won't harp on that either. That being said, I was shocked by how little I minded it in this version. Presentation is everything. Regardless of the fact that Kale is an infinitely more tolerable character in this version, the fact that her visual design goes beyond "Broli with lipstick" does wonders.

Golden Freeza looked great in this chapter. I wasn't sure how Toyo would approach it, but the shading he applied is quite effective. The approach is appropriately metallic-looking, and the black patches nicely reflect the darkness of the World of Void.

The choreography really stood out to me in this chapter. The way characters were bouncing off the stage's debris made maneuvering dynamic (despite the lack of flight), and Toytaro drew some really striking poses.

I am so damn sick of people on Twitter crusading against the "Piccolo is Gohan's dad" joke for a million reasons, largely because they seem to want interactions between Goku and Gohan that aren't warranted. You want a wholesome father-son moment? In this chapter, we got one:

Image

Goku's son and his master, working together, confidently tell Goku what to do while they handle the enemies in-front of them. That's a look of pride right there. It's subtle, but it's true to Dragon Ball. Goku doesn't need to be preachy or gushy about his affection, because that's not how he is. Some seem to want Goku to talk to Gohan as if he's a child, but he's a grown-ass man with a family now. I thought this was a very sweet, unspoken moment, and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else bring it up.

Oh, and one more for the collection:

Image

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by CriticalThinker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 pm

Easily the best fight we've gotten so far in this version of the tournament. Really enjoyed Caulifla vs Freeza and I'm really glad we got this fight as I was disappointed that it never happened in the anime. While I tend to prefer the anime versions of certain characters I gotta say I like manga Kale more than the anime version. Also I found the art this chapter to be pretty good as well much better than previous ones. Overall the best chapter for me so far and I hope this momentum can carry over into the next chapter as well.

User avatar
Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:03 am

batistabus wrote: I am so damn sick of people on Twitter crusading against the "Piccolo is Gohan's dad" joke for a million reasons, largely because they seem to want interactions between Goku and Gohan that aren't warranted.
I'm glad I'm not the only one finding myself irritated by all this "hot take" nonsense recently. Some people were going so far as to claim that Gohan's choice of clothing in this arc was somehow symbolically unfitting for the character. Come on, seriously?

And yeah, while I'm happy about the warmer reception for this chapter specifically, I don't think it's any better than previous chapters either. My favorite one for the tournament so far is still Chapter 35, and that seemed to get the most vitriol here for some reason. Go figure.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Zen Yabuki » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:10 am

Good chapter. Fight was fun. Best chapter of the ToP so far, and the only one I haven't found to be very boring. Base Kale is cooler here, but overall, I don't really care more about the U6 Saiyans here than the manga either. I enjoyed Freeza's portrayal this chapter as well. 7/10 for me
Marlowe89 wrote:
batistabus wrote: I am so damn sick of people on Twitter crusading against the "Piccolo is Gohan's dad" joke for a million reasons, largely because they seem to want interactions between Goku and Gohan that aren't warranted.
I'm glad I'm not the only one finding myself irritated by all this "hot take" nonsense recently. Some people were going so far as to claim that Gohan's choice of clothing in this arc was somehow symbolically unfitting for the character. Come on, seriously?

And yeah, while I'm happy about the warmer reception for this chapter specifically, I don't think it's any better than previous chapters either. My favorite one for the tournament so far is still Chapter 35, and that seemed to get the most vitriol here for some reason. Go figure.
I definitely agree. Gohan wearing the clothes for this saga isn't out of character or unfitting for him one bit. There's no issue involved with it. People probably just say that as a response to the running joke (and the fact some fans do legit believe) that Piccolo is Gohan's dad and that Gohan cares more about him than Goku.

User avatar
OLKv3
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:11 am

Bullza wrote:Dragon Ball Super Volume 6 - 195,000 copies sold in 14 days

That's a decent chunk behind Volume 5 which sold 219,000 copies in 10 days. It's also worse than Volume 4 which sold 217,000 copies in 11 days.

It's a tad ahead of Volume 3.
Trunks is money

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:01 am

Oddly enough the TV ratings also began to drop after the Trunks saga.

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3569
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:05 am

Full thoughts on the chapter:

The good:
  • Freeza's character use was excellent and together with the Frost episode makes him the MVP of the ToP so far. Him going after the Saiyans is simple and works, him facing the "actual" legendary Super Saiyan is good callback to Freeza's paranoia towards Super Saiyan. Didn't even think about it until this chapter, props Toyotarõ.
  • The fight was above average there was some boring panels and wasted panels, with some wonky scaling of the stage at parts. Nothing that greatly deters the fight, the only eyesore to me was the panel batistabus mentions, there's just too much of that in this manga.
    Another good callback is Freeza using rocks, I don't know if Toyotarõ ripped any part of that from Goku vs Freeza, since I didn't see it didn't effect my enjoyment.
  • Kale is rather interesting, her relationship with Caulifla is nice. I like her holding back out of respect, she's confuses actual strength with the leadership and heroism role of Caulifla. Which not only says something about one of them but the two of them.
The bad:
  • I already talked about the flaws of the fight, nothing more to add.
  • Now the big one which surprisingly nobody mentioned, even more surprising because everyone feels the need to compare the anime and the manga. This is one of the easiest complaints about the anime and is being reproduced here. Too much Goku! Why did Goku intervene in the fight? This marks the 3rd or 4th time Goku teleports himself into a conflict.
    The first few times were fine, it stacked and now it's exaggerated.
Possible repercussions: It's necessary to talk about power-levels, I disagree with the common opinion. That Kale is SSB level and that she's putting Goku and Freeza in trouble. Without elaborating just look at how Goku, Freeza, Beerus and Kaioshin are more concerned about the in-fighting than Kale. Specially Freeza who if was in danger would be losing his shit like usual.

However! Kale has that final power up at the end of the chapter. If she's confirmed to reach "God Tier" I will be dissatisfied. I firmly believe no character should reach that level without a good reason, like the SSJG ritual, training with an angel or being an 1000 years old assassin.
I get it that Kale is a crazy prodigy and that justifies her immense strength even in base, "God Tier" is something special and the manga has protected that status very well.

User avatar
Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6570
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:15 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:40 am

Execution makes a world of difference, this chapter was everything the three dull episodes could have been, the universe 6 trio are changed to something interesting and likable..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

User avatar
Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:46 am

LightBing wrote:Now the big one which surprisingly nobody mentioned, even more surprising because everyone feels the need to compare the anime and the manga. This is one of the easiest complaints about the anime and is being reproduced here. Too much Goku! Why did Goku intervene in the fight?
Nah, that's fine. My issue with Goku in the anime is not that he appeared a lot (and he hasn't really appeared a lot in the manga, to be honest) but that he literally hogged most of the eliminations alongside Vegeta and even participated in fights that would have been better distributed to much weaker protagonists. I don't think he's eliminated a single competitor so far in the manga, and his interference in this chapter makes perfect sense because Golden Freeza was seemingly in trouble. Roshi said it best -- it would have been a huge blow to the team if Freeza was eliminated, so having Goku provide backup was their best option.
LightBing wrote: This marks the 3rd or 4th time Goku teleports himself into a conflict.
There was Goku assisting Roshi against Frost... and what else? You can't say Jiren because Hit was already out of the picture by the time their fight began.

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3569
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 am

I was including against Jiren. That fighting was still very much on-going.

User avatar
prince212
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 795
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: wild west

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by prince212 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:53 pm

I don’t have a big issue with the too much goku feeling , it’s real but it’s just normal being the main character.
My issue was too much Krillin in previews chapters , and luckily we didn’t have him in the last one .
Krillin - Ribrianne was good , but previously we had too much of him talking in the bench, I believe it was in 35
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

User avatar
nato25
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1334
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by nato25 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:53 pm

LightBing wrote:Full thoughts on the chapter:

The good:
  • Freeza's character use was excellent and together with the Frost episode makes him the MVP of the ToP so far. Him going after the Saiyans is simple and works, him facing the "actual" legendary Super Saiyan is good callback to Freeza's paranoia towards Super Saiyan. Didn't even think about it until this chapter, props Toyotarõ.
  • The fight was above average there was some boring panels and wasted panels, with some wonky scaling of the stage at parts. Nothing that greatly deters the fight, the only eyesore to me was the panel batistabus mentions, there's just too much of that in this manga.
    Another good callback is Freeza using rocks, I don't know if Toyotarõ ripped any part of that from Goku vs Freeza, since I didn't see it didn't effect my enjoyment.
  • Kale is rather interesting, her relationship with Caulifla is nice. I like her holding back out of respect, she's confuses actual strength with the leadership and heroism role of Caulifla. Which not only says something about one of them but the two of them.
The bad:
  • I already talked about the flaws of the fight, nothing more to add.
  • Now the big one which surprisingly nobody mentioned, even more surprising because everyone feels the need to compare the anime and the manga. This is one of the easiest complaints about the anime and is being reproduced here. Too much Goku! Why did Goku intervene in the fight? This marks the 3rd or 4th time Goku teleports himself into a conflict.
    The first few times were fine, it stacked and now it's exaggerated.
Possible repercussions: It's necessary to talk about power-levels, I disagree with the common opinion. That Kale is SSB level and that she's putting Goku and Freeza in trouble. Without elaborating just look at how Goku, Freeza, Beerus and Kaioshin are more concerned about the in-fighting than Kale. Specially Freeza who if was in danger would be losing his shit like usual.

However! Kale has that final power up at the end of the chapter. If she's confirmed to reach "God Tier" I will be dissatisfied. I firmly believe no character should reach that level without a good reason, like the SSJG ritual, training with an angel or being an 1000 years old assassin.
I get it that Kale is a crazy prodigy and that justifies her immense strength even in base, "God Tier" is something special and the manga has protected that status very well.
Almost entirely agree with you here.

I think you have to realise Frieza is much weaker here than in the anime for starters. I may be wrong but as they skipped all the recruitment there was none of that mental training in hell 'true Golden Frieza' talk.

I feek Goku is still holding back here but looks like he wiill have to get serious to compete with Kales essentially lssj transformation. I also dont want to see her reach God Tier quite yet but looks like its going that way. I liked how caulifla and frieza both made fun of how saiyans have pulled out so many variants over the years.

I dont mind him intervening. Goku is the LeBron of team 7, when they need him he steps up. They're still a team you have to work together. The panel with Goku and Frieza stating at a charging Kale was good for a laugh as well.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 pm

In this version Kale held back because of respect for Caulifla and I can see some of you like this but most of the time I don't like it when characters do this as I think it makes these characters look stupid as they basically just live their whole lifes respecting one person and holds back themselves and that person they respect.

User avatar
Vegeta_Sama
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm
Location: Capsule Corporation

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:00 pm

prince212 wrote:I don’t have a big issue with the too much goku feeling , it’s real but it’s just normal being the main character.
My issue was too much Krillin in previews chapters , and luckily we didn’t have him in the last one .
Krillin - Ribrianne was good , but previously we had too much of him talking in the bench, I believe it was in 35
Too much krillin? Are you sure you don't mean someone else? He literally got taken out in a couple of panels chapters ago.
My interpretation of the Dragon Ball Canon

User avatar
picc
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:26 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by picc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:03 pm

For some reason I had more of a problem with Caulifla's power than with Kale's.

I mean, they went out of their way to say Kale was unlike anything anyone's ever seen before, and that she has an incredible hulk factor. I'm not happy with her being equal or better than blue goku and gold freeza, but the fact they made it such a HUGE DEAL makes me less unhappy.

Caulifla otoh I don't like being strong enough to warrant golden freeza. She and cabba should have been destroyed by regular freeza, and then kale came in and made him go golden.
Planet Namek Bred

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
prince212 wrote:I don’t have a big issue with the too much goku feeling , it’s real but it’s just normal being the main character.
My issue was too much Krillin in previews chapters , and luckily we didn’t have him in the last one .
Krillin - Ribrianne was good , but previously we had too much of him talking in the bench, I believe it was in 35
Too much krillin? Are you sure you don't mean someone else? He literally got taken out in a couple of panels chapters ago.
He must be talking about him speaking from the benches.

User avatar
prince212
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 795
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: wild west

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by prince212 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:15 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
prince212 wrote:I don’t have a big issue with the too much goku feeling , it’s real but it’s just normal being the main character.
My issue was too much Krillin in previews chapters , and luckily we didn’t have him in the last one .
Krillin - Ribrianne was good , but previously we had too much of him talking in the bench, I believe it was in 35
Too much krillin? Are you sure you don't mean someone else? He literally got taken out in a couple of panels chapters ago.
He must be talking about him speaking from the benches.
Yes , in chapter 35 he was in 13 panels involved, making comments in most of them .
Not a biggie, just happy that he didn’t talk in the last one
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Post Reply