"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
TKA
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TKA » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:23 pm

Xeogran wrote: Except this is an Universal Tournament with all members handpicked by respective GoDs, not a competition on Earth just to win some money, so your argument falls flat.

Since the stakes are so high, we should be seeing more from everyone than just being food for Kale.
These aren't good arguments. I could say something like:

"Except this is a once-every-three-years tournament that is comprised of the best martial artists from all around the world, not just some bumbling desert bandits trying to get the dragonballs, so your argument falls flat.

Since the stakes are so high, we should be seeing more from everyone than just being food for Yamcha/Goku/Krillin."

It's nonsense to argue this from that perspective. If you do, it applies to every subsequent arc where the stakes get raised.

Also, whether it's gods choosing the fighters or not, these are the best warriors that agreed to fight for them (and we know it's definitely "agree" since Jiren was going to skip the tournament and in an earlier arc Champa had to bribe Hit to get him to enter).
Not to mention the Beerus-Quitela rivalry which Toyotaro tried developing more than in anime, yet it wasn't even Beerus' team that got him erased. This was clearly rushed.
Nothing is rushed.

Beerus was established as pissing off all the other gods. They all have a rivalry with him. Should Universe 7, then, have eliminated everyone? That would make the "tournament" much less chaotic, which is bad for a battle royale.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder


http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Batman is out there busting his ass to avenge Goku and you won't even go see him do it?!

User avatar
alakazam^
I Live Here
Posts: 2714
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:55 am
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:32 pm

TKA wrote:
Xeogran wrote: Except this is an Universal Tournament with all members handpicked by respective GoDs, not a competition on Earth just to win some money, so your argument falls flat.

Since the stakes are so high, we should be seeing more from everyone than just being food for Kale.
These aren't good arguments. I could say something like:

"Except this is a once-every-three-years tournament that is comprised of the best martial artists from all around the world, not just some bumbling desert bandits trying to get the dragonballs, so your argument falls flat.

Since the stakes are so high, we should be seeing more from everyone than just being food for Yamcha/Goku/Krillin."

It's nonsense to argue this from that perspective. If you do, it applies to every subsequent arc where the stakes get raised.
No Tenkaichi Budoukai had high stakes so how does that compare? And, in those, every fight had at least a chapter so Xeogran's arguments are indeed good.

A battle royal isn't chaotic just because a bunch of people are fighting at the same time, it would be chaotic if everyone would go around aimlessly like Kale did. And they aren't, they all have different strategies concerning the tournament.

User avatar
1345521
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by 1345521 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:50 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
TKA wrote:
Xeogran wrote: Except this is an Universal Tournament with all members handpicked by respective GoDs, not a competition on Earth just to win some money, so your argument falls flat.

Since the stakes are so high, we should be seeing more from everyone than just being food for Kale.
These aren't good arguments. I could say something like:

"Except this is a once-every-three-years tournament that is comprised of the best martial artists from all around the world, not just some bumbling desert bandits trying to get the dragonballs, so your argument falls flat.

Since the stakes are so high, we should be seeing more from everyone than just being food for Yamcha/Goku/Krillin."

It's nonsense to argue this from that perspective. If you do, it applies to every subsequent arc where the stakes get raised.
No Tenkaichi Budoukai had high stakes so how does that compare? And, in those, every fight had at least a chapter so Xeogran's arguments are indeed good.

A battle royal isn't chaotic just because a bunch of people are fighting at the same time, it would be chaotic if everyone would go around aimlessly like Kale did. And they aren't, they all have different strategies concerning the tournament.
Lol, every chapter was only 15 pages plus I doubt the manga showed EVERY FIGHT, because they were fodder. They only showed people who had revelance for the arc but I'll research more on it.

2nd, budokai isn't a battle royale. And yes battle royales are chaotic in nature, groups issuing stratigies does not mean the arena is any less hetic. The TOURNMENT is small and there are 80 fighters, this isn't like the hunger games, this is a baseline battle royale which is what Akira envisioned. Plus the power level ranges is exhorbantly high, you got people as weak as an RUSTY AND UNTRAINED Kuririn to as strong as current gods of destruction (Jiren). Jiren could have easily done a hulk smash and eleiminate 60 people in the first 10 seconds. So it's unfortunate how we didn't get to see more shine from FODDER universes, but what toyotaro did in this chapter makes total sense and is in lign with akiras vison. This way better then how the anime turned the royale into some hunger games rip off, which wasn't per say bad- but then toei couldn't execute the writing well, art was meh, animation was lousy for a lot of it, characterization was HORRIBLE and overall pretty = :thumbdown:

User avatar
prince212
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 790
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: wild west

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by prince212 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:02 pm

Exline wrote:Toyotaro's panelling has been bothering me for quite a while.
........ The same can be said for Vegeta's repetitive kicks towards Toppo.
I found those kicks well done and reflecting how stubborn vegeta can be . I really liked it .
Toyos fight sometimes doesn’t have a good flow connecting panels , right .but that example I.m.o was nice and offer something “new”
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

User avatar
TKA
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TKA » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:36 pm

alakazam^ wrote: No Tenkaichi Budoukai had high stakes so how does that compare? And, in those, every fight had at least a chapter so Xeogran's arguments are indeed good.
I think you misunderstood my extrapolation. Let me do another one for you so you can better understand.
TKA wrote: "Except this is a once-every-three-years tournament that is comprised of the best martial artists from all around the world, not just some bumbling desert bandits trying to get the dragonballs, so your argument falls flat.

Since the stakes are so high, we should be seeing more from everyone than just being food for Yamcha/Goku/Krillin."
"Except this is a world-ending tournament that is comprised of the very best martial artists from all around the world, not just some grey evil alien space emperor trying to get the dragonballs, so your argument falls flat.

Since the stakes are so high, we should be seeing more from everyone than just the main characters."

Do you understand now? You can literally repurpose this same complaint for every subsequent arc in the series. Realistically, lots of people would go to fight Cell, since the alternative is total annihilation. They didn't because that's unnecessary for the story being told. Realistically, we should see all the preliminary fighters in the original Tenkaichi Budokais, but we don't because that's not necessary for the story being told. Likewise, regardless of circumstance, we're not going to be told the backstory and see the intricate details around Longshoreman X from Universe 3 here because, and say it with me, that's not necessary for the story being told.
A battle royal isn't chaotic just because... they all have different strategies concerning the tournament.
Except if you devote time to showing the strategies of every (non-main) character, or even most (non-main) characters, or even some (non-main) characters, you're inherently making things less chaotic. You're wasting time explaining what irrelevant characters are doing—and it is 100% wasting time since they won't have character arcs or play any key roles. Using these characters to enhance the select characters that you do care about and want to portray in your story is BASIC-level competency in writing.

What you guys don't seem to fully grasp is that Chekhov's theory that "if there's a gun, it has to be important later" doesn't apply as is to film and television. He was speaking about plays, where you can't direct the viewer's eyeballs—where a viewer can look at anything on stage, any prop on stage or anything in the background. A good play would, then, only have things on stage that are important. When you apply Chekhov's theory to film, television or video games, it becomes more like "if the camera focuses on a gun, it has to play a role later on," because in these medias, the creator control's what the viewer's attention is supposed to be on.

Toyotaro, wisely, did not ask us to pay attention to random fodder characters. He never treated them as anything but salad dressing. The characters he asked us to focus on are Universes 6, 7 and 11. No, not all members of each team have equal, or even nominal importance, but each member will play a role in the tournament. He has not gone back on that promise as far as his writing of this tournament goes.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder


http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Batman is out there busting his ass to avenge Goku and you won't even go see him do it?!

User avatar
Black Hawk
Regular
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:09 pm
Location: Beacon Academy

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Black Hawk » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:37 pm

alakazam^ wrote:No Tenkaichi Budoukai had high stakes so how does that compare?
Pardon for interjecting, but...
Image
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

User avatar
MoscoSama
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MoscoSama » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:39 pm

I think the anime messed up by giving too much shine to u7 and the manga made the same mistake just with u6.

u11 is the main antagonist universe if only because of jiren but still if you were going to have a few characters clean house imo Toppo and Dyspo would have been better than Frost and Kale.

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 3024
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:45 pm

1345521 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
MoscoSama wrote:Guys can we get back to talking about the chapter and not pointless arguing about what is canon or more canon?

I'd like to know how you people think the next chapter will unfold?
I think Gohan will get help definitely. From maybe Freeza or Master Roshi. His time to use the Mafuba is long overdue and who better to try and use it on Kelfa.
You were on a role there until you had to say dbs anime is better then dbs manga which made me cringe pretty hard, anyway: that's a great idea.
Goku vs jiren
Vegeta vs toppo
17 and Roshi vs dyspo and kahsersal (so happy he's lasted this far, he was such and disappointment in the anime. Toyotaro really amped the pride troopers in the manga)
Gohan and Freeza vs kefla (though I wonder how strong toyotaro will portray gohan. Toyotaro usually knows what he's doing when it comes to power scailing so I doubt he'll just make gohan fight kefla for no reason)
:lol:

I didn't say the anime is better than the manga. I said I like the anime more than manga. Only In the sense that the anime has the ability to portray the battles better. I even preferred the DBZ anime than the manga.

But I agree with you, how the manga has better power scailing and has some characters looking more competent like the pride troopers.
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."~Psalm 14:1

User avatar
1345521
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by 1345521 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Miracles wrote:
1345521 wrote:
Miracles wrote: I think Gohan will get help definitely. From maybe Freeza or Master Roshi. His time to use the Mafuba is long overdue and who better to try and use it on Kelfa.
You were on a role there until you had to say dbs anime is better then dbs manga which made me cringe pretty hard, anyway: that's a great idea.
Goku vs jiren
Vegeta vs toppo
17 and Roshi vs dyspo and kahsersal (so happy he's lasted this far, he was such and disappointment in the anime. Toyotaro really amped the pride troopers in the manga)
Gohan and Freeza vs kefla (though I wonder how strong toyotaro will portray gohan. Toyotaro usually knows what he's doing when it comes to power scailing so I doubt he'll just make gohan fight kefla for no reason)
:lol:

I didn't say the anime is better than the manga. I said I like the anime more than manga. Only In the sense that the anime has the ability to portray the battles better. I even preferred the DBZ anime than the manga.

But I agree with you, how the manga has better power scailing and has some characters looking more competent like the pride troopers.
Oh my fault :D . And yes, animes are better then mangas. I agree 100%.

User avatar
alakazam^
I Live Here
Posts: 2714
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:55 am
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm

Black Hawk wrote:Pardon for interjecting, but...
Image
They weren't bound by its rules, it was just the setting.
TKA wrote:Do you understand now? You can literally repurpose this same complaint for every subsequent arc in the series.

(...)

Except if you devote time to showing the strategies of every (non-main) character, or even most (non-main) characters, or even some (non-main) characters, you're inherently making things less chaotic. You're wasting time explaining what irrelevant characters are doing—and it is 100% wasting time since they won't have character arcs or play any key roles.

(...)

What you guys don't seem to fully grasp is that Chekhov's theory that "if there's a gun, it has to be important later" doesn't apply as is to film and television.

(...)

Toyotaro, wisely, did not ask us to pay attention to random fodder characters.
I think her/his point was that the other fighters aren't comparable to the ones Goku fought in the preliminaries. All 80 are qualified to enter the main event, so it's natural that people want to know them better,

How would you know if they have character arcs or not? You can't tell if they have key roles just by looking at their design sheets. That's why arguing they're "fodder" doesn't make sense because they're blank slates, any of them can be put in any role the writer feels like. Even if the endgame is still Geran, there's nothing stopping Toyotarou from doing aomething interesting with the other 69 in a way that doesn't compromise his schedule.

Did Kale have to eliminate 4 Universes? No, she could have eliminated 3 and that 4th could be a threat to U6, 7 and 11, for instance. What was the point of having Agnlaasa appearing? Were the manga readers even aware the robots could fuse? Of course not!

Does this mean Toyotarou has to dedicate a chapter for everyone? No, and no one asked for that. What we'd like is to have some time dedicated to a number of them. That's not hard! It doesn't even have to be anything substancial, a mere name drop could be enough. Whether you care or not, do you know any of their names? If you just read the manga you wouldn't, of course. But, reading Toriyama's manga, you'd know about King Chappa and Captain Chicken, at least.

You say he didn't ask us to pay attention but he drew all of the teams right before the tournament started. I guess those pages were a waste of his time, huh?

User avatar
1345521
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by 1345521 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:29 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
Black Hawk wrote:Pardon for interjecting, but...
Image
They weren't bound by its rules, it was just the setting.
TKA wrote:Do you understand now? You can literally repurpose this same complaint for every subsequent arc in the series.

(...)

Except if you devote time to showing the strategies of every (non-main) character, or even most (non-main) characters, or even some (non-main) characters, you're inherently making things less chaotic. You're wasting time explaining what irrelevant characters are doing—and it is 100% wasting time since they won't have character arcs or play any key roles.

(...)

What you guys don't seem to fully grasp is that Chekhov's theory that "if there's a gun, it has to be important later" doesn't apply as is to film and television.

(...)

Toyotaro, wisely, did not ask us to pay attention to random fodder characters.
I think her/his point was that the other fighters aren't comparable to the ones Goku fought in the preliminaries. All 80 are qualified to enter the main event, so it's natural that people want to know them better,

How would you know if they have character arcs or not? You can't tell if they have key roles just by looking at their design sheets. That's why arguing they're "fodder" doesn't make sense because they're blank slates, any of them can be put in any role the writer feels like. Even if the endgame is still Geran, there's nothing stopping Toyotarou from doing aomething interesting with the other 69 in a way that doesn't compromise his schedule.

Did Kale have to eliminate 4 Universes? No, she could have eliminated 3 and that 4th could be a threat to U6, 7 and 11, for instance. What was the point of having Agnlaasa appearing? Were the manga readers even aware the robots could fuse? Of course not!

Does this mean Toyotarou has to dedicate a chapter for everyone? No, and no one asked for that. What we'd like is to have some time dedicated to a number of them. That's not hard! It doesn't even have to be anything substancial, a mere name drop could be enough. Whether you care or not, do you know any of their names? If you just read the manga you wouldn't, of course. But, reading Toriyama's manga, you'd know about King Chappa and Captain Chicken, at least.

You say he didn't ask us to pay attention but he drew all of the teams right before the tournament started. I guess those pages were a waste of his time, huh?
Once again, innaccurate. toyotaro has a deadline to finish this before december, he already gave fodder enough shine, I.E frost, ribiranne, damon/gamisrus, universe 9, cabba etc.
Which is enough. And I don't care about those fodders, it just makes kale a much more cooler character. They aren't important, and the OG DB manga never did a huge 80 MAN TOURNMENT. you really think akira would have drawn and giving lame light to all 80 FIGHTERS? Hhahaha, wouldn't be surprised if he just drew shadow people for some of them, but that's not the point. Point is, toyotaro executing kale to do this MAKES SENSE. the anime sucked because the characters were stupid (chiken sniper, hiradarn rip-off aniraza, filler pepsiman and maji kayo, useless frost oredeal which was just to wank roshi) give me a break. Manga is focusing on the big players so we can have epic fights. Dbs manga makes more sense then the anime. Here are all the characters done better in the manga:
goku
vegeta
berrus
surpeme kai
gowasu
belmod
Jiren
Kale
cabba
quitela
damon/gamisrus
pride troopers
Frost

and I prefer THESE characters in the manga too:
Hit
goku black
merged zamsu
piccolo
toppo
andorid 17
Freeza
aniraza (he showed more persoanility in 1 page then he did the entire tensure in the anime). how does a doctor fusing with robots turn you into a brute beast? What? Trash

SSJgogeto
Regular
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:34 pm

he already gave fodder enough shine
Not really.

User avatar
1345521
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by 1345521 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:40 pm

SSJgogeto wrote:
he already gave fodder enough shine
Not really.
Yeah I know :lol: ... I just lose my cool when anime troopers laucnh their attacks on toyotaro.

I don't have a problem with kale doing what she did, I just wish we got some expostion on these others character so it would have been a much more bigger deal WHEN kale did this you know? they survived this long, they should have gotten some screen time because it makes no sense why toyotaro would keep them in for this long just to have them jobber with no screen time. So that really was dissapointing. if you're going to have people jobber, should have done that much ealrier in the tournment.

User avatar
Kokonoe
Not Banned
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:20 am

OH MY GOD

OH MY FUCKING GOD

GOHAN DEFLECTED KEFLA'S BLAST AND IS GETTING SPOTLIGHT

Excuse the caps but...
I...
never would've expected this
like ever
I'm so shocked
almost a tear to my eye
God I love Toyotaro...

User avatar
PsionicWarrior
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1569
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:34 am

Please do not tell me I am again the only one here thinking the ToP is rushed AF, 4 universes gone at once lol
The anime episode with the Namekians was one of the best and I'm a bit sad we didn't see it in the manga
So it seems the LLSSJ comment from Cabba is a bad translation right lol
I liked Kale, and the lore about berserker is very interesting, go so strong you die I like it lol
I liked the chapter overall, I'm super hyped for next one because Gohan lol

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:04 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Pannaliciour » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:39 am

Kokonoe wrote:OH MY GOD

OH MY FUCKING GOD

GOHAN DEFLECTED KEFLA'S BLAST AND IS GETTING SPOTLIGHT

Excuse the caps but...
I...
never would've expected this
like ever
I'm so shocked
almost a tear to my eye
God I love Toyotaro...

Wait for the next chapter where he gets eliminated at once. Then tell me if you still love him.

User avatar
Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 811
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:42 am

1345521 wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:
Black Hawk wrote:Pardon for interjecting, but...
Image
They weren't bound by its rules, it was just the setting.
TKA wrote:Do you understand now? You can literally repurpose this same complaint for every subsequent arc in the series.

(...)

Except if you devote time to showing the strategies of every (non-main) character, or even most (non-main) characters, or even some (non-main) characters, you're inherently making things less chaotic. You're wasting time explaining what irrelevant characters are doing—and it is 100% wasting time since they won't have character arcs or play any key roles.

(...)

What you guys don't seem to fully grasp is that Chekhov's theory that "if there's a gun, it has to be important later" doesn't apply as is to film and television.

(...)

Toyotaro, wisely, did not ask us to pay attention to random fodder characters.
I think her/his point was that the other fighters aren't comparable to the ones Goku fought in the preliminaries. All 80 are qualified to enter the main event, so it's natural that people want to know them better,

How would you know if they have character arcs or not? You can't tell if they have key roles just by looking at their design sheets. That's why arguing they're "fodder" doesn't make sense because they're blank slates, any of them can be put in any role the writer feels like. Even if the endgame is still Geran, there's nothing stopping Toyotarou from doing aomething interesting with the other 69 in a way that doesn't compromise his schedule.

Did Kale have to eliminate 4 Universes? No, she could have eliminated 3 and that 4th could be a threat to U6, 7 and 11, for instance. What was the point of having Agnlaasa appearing? Were the manga readers even aware the robots could fuse? Of course not!

Does this mean Toyotarou has to dedicate a chapter for everyone? No, and no one asked for that. What we'd like is to have some time dedicated to a number of them. That's not hard! It doesn't even have to be anything substancial, a mere name drop could be enough. Whether you care or not, do you know any of their names? If you just read the manga you wouldn't, of course. But, reading Toriyama's manga, you'd know about King Chappa and Captain Chicken, at least.

You say he didn't ask us to pay attention but he drew all of the teams right before the tournament started. I guess those pages were a waste of his time, huh?
Once again, innaccurate. toyotaro has a deadline to finish this before december, he already gave fodder enough shine, I.E frost, ribiranne, damon/gamisrus, universe 9, cabba etc.
Which is enough. And I don't care about those fodders, it just makes kale a much more cooler character. They aren't important, and the OG DB manga never did a huge 80 MAN TOURNMENT. you really think akira would have drawn and giving lame light to all 80 FIGHTERS? Hhahaha, wouldn't be surprised if he just drew shadow people for some of them, but that's not the point. Point is, toyotaro executing kale to do this MAKES SENSE. the anime sucked because the characters were stupid (chiken sniper, hiradarn rip-off aniraza, filler pepsiman and maji kayo, useless frost oredeal which was just to wank roshi) give me a break. Manga is focusing on the big players so we can have epic fights. Dbs manga makes more sense then the anime. Here are all the characters done better in the manga:
goku
vegeta
berrus
surpeme kai
gowasu
belmod
Jiren
Kale
cabba
quitela
damon/gamisrus
pride troopers
Frost

and I prefer THESE characters in the manga too:
Hit
goku black
merged zamsu
piccolo
toppo
andorid 17
Freeza
aniraza (he showed more persoanility in 1 page then he did the entire tensure in the anime). how does a doctor fusing with robots turn you into a brute beast? What? Trash
We don’t have any confirmation for deadline,so let it rest for now.

How does kale eliminating a bunch of fodder(as you yourself said)makes her cooler?They are all complete fodder.For all I know she eliminated Roshi level characters.We don’t need to have all of them fighting but something like Dr. Rota should be good enough.

I don’t know about the epic fights you mentioned,the only one that would come close to epic is the gods battle royale and if you ask me despite its length it was much better than the current one.Sure it was smaller and all that stuff(so way more easier to do),but it was much more interesting,entertaining and much more closer to what people are asking.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

User avatar
Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:03 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:Please do not tell me I am again the only one here thinking the ToP is rushed AF, 4 universes gone at once lol
You're not. You're completely incorrect for thinking that, but you're not the only person here with the sentiment.

Hundreds of non-characters could be tossed out of the picture and it would have absolutely nothing to do with the progression of the story, just like Freeza's army in Resurrection 'F' or literally any other situation where "cannon fodder" is used to emphasize the strength of a significant character. They're not relevant to pacing.

User avatar
1345521
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:43 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
1345521 wrote:
alakazam^ wrote: They weren't bound by its rules, it was just the setting.


I think her/his point was that the other fighters aren't comparable to the ones Goku fought in the preliminaries. All 80 are qualified to enter the main event, so it's natural that people want to know them better,

How would you know if they have character arcs or not? You can't tell if they have key roles just by looking at their design sheets. That's why arguing they're "fodder" doesn't make sense because they're blank slates, any of them can be put in any role the writer feels like. Even if the endgame is still Geran, there's nothing stopping Toyotarou from doing aomething interesting with the other 69 in a way that doesn't compromise his schedule.

Did Kale have to eliminate 4 Universes? No, she could have eliminated 3 and that 4th could be a threat to U6, 7 and 11, for instance. What was the point of having Agnlaasa appearing? Were the manga readers even aware the robots could fuse? Of course not!

Does this mean Toyotarou has to dedicate a chapter for everyone? No, and no one asked for that. What we'd like is to have some time dedicated to a number of them. That's not hard! It doesn't even have to be anything substancial, a mere name drop could be enough. Whether you care or not, do you know any of their names? If you just read the manga you wouldn't, of course. But, reading Toriyama's manga, you'd know about King Chappa and Captain Chicken, at least.

You say he didn't ask us to pay attention but he drew all of the teams right before the tournament started. I guess those pages were a waste of his time, huh?
Once again, innaccurate. toyotaro has a deadline to finish this before december, he already gave fodder enough shine, I.E frost, ribiranne, damon/gamisrus, universe 9, cabba etc.
Which is enough. And I don't care about those fodders, it just makes kale a much more cooler character. They aren't important, and the OG DB manga never did a huge 80 MAN TOURNMENT. you really think akira would have drawn and giving lame light to all 80 FIGHTERS? Hhahaha, wouldn't be surprised if he just drew shadow people for some of them, but that's not the point. Point is, toyotaro executing kale to do this MAKES SENSE. the anime sucked because the characters were stupid (chiken sniper, hiradarn rip-off aniraza, filler pepsiman and maji kayo, useless frost oredeal which was just to wank roshi) give me a break. Manga is focusing on the big players so we can have epic fights. Dbs manga makes more sense then the anime. Here are all the characters done better in the manga:
goku
vegeta
berrus
surpeme kai
gowasu
belmod
Jiren
Kale
cabba
quitela
damon/gamisrus
pride troopers
Frost

and I prefer THESE characters in the manga too:
Hit
goku black
merged zamsu
piccolo
toppo
andorid 17
Freeza
aniraza (he showed more persoanility in 1 page then he did the entire tensure in the anime). how does a doctor fusing with robots turn you into a brute beast? What? Trash
We don’t have any confirmation for deadline,so let it rest for now.

How does kale eliminating a bunch of fodder(as you yourself said)makes her cooler?They are all complete fodder.For all I know she eliminated Roshi level characters.We don’t need to have all of them fighting but something like Dr. Rota should be good enough.

I don’t know about the epic fights you mentioned,the only one that would come close to epic is the gods battle royale and if you ask me despite its length it was much better than the current one.Sure it was smaller and all that stuff(so way more easier to do),but it was much more interesting,entertaining and much more closer to what people are asking.
Hm? :| I had a hard understand what you were getting at in this post, I'm not saying kale eliminating fodder was that cool (especially since toyotaro didn't even both to show us the cabaillities of these people and why they lasted this long in the first place), but it does make kale even more impressive as well as make me interested in the story. And the reason I love kale is because broly is my favorite character in the franchise, so having kale be very simloar to broly but still be kinda distinct and her own character is a great plus. I mean ask any hardcore broly who they like better now, most either say they are I differnt towards both or they like manga kale better. Which for toyotaro is an sucess, captivate towards the broly fans. All these pessimist (anime troopers) who want fodder wank would have still hated your chapter anyway, so it's better to appeal to groups in the fandom that like having their character shine. Broly fans are somewhat excited and now gohan fans have interst in the manga. Go for the big fish is what toyotaro is doing, not trying to appease the skeptics.

And when I mean interested in the story. I actually feel EMOTION when reading dbs manga which is why I've become a big fan.for example, reading chapter 38. The facial expression toyotaro draws goku and others when they are shocked is the same expression I had reading this chapter. That's great! In the anime it's more of a bore fest and cringe fest because everything is so childesh and it only appeals to 12 year old children and people who try to act like man-childs. I really love how toyotaro is making a story that he likes and not trying to appease the famdom. That's what Akira did so Toyo is now following the same footsteps. Dosent mean I found this chapter perfect, but it had some good stuff. Characterization was greT
Art was awesome
Power scailing made sense
Consistency was good
Only thing I didn't like was how toyotaro did waist some characters he could have made more interesting. Should have given shine to namekians, some of universe then ESPCIALLY to anirza and some of the remnants of universe. A nice filler chapter exposing some of these fodder like in chapter 36 would have really made this stand out even more. But with all that said:
86/100 to me. Which is good.here is my dbs manga chapter ranking for top arc:
Chp 27 - 92/100
Chp 28 - 95/100
Chp 29 - 90/100
Chp 30 - 85/100
Chp 31 - 88/100
Chp 32 - 82/100
Chp 33 - 87/100
Chp 34 - 84/100
Chp 35 - 79/100 (though I rank it low, after re reading it's actually one my more favorable chapters. My ranking isn't as bad as how I like it)
Chp 36 - 76/100
Chp 37 - 89/100
Chp 38 - 86/100

Put in perspective. Only episodes that got an 80+ to me was:
Ep 79 - 82/100
109-110 - 85/100
Ep 122 - 83/100

And what were saying about god royale? Don't tell me you found the god sparring matach in the anime better then the manga fight to death royale?

User avatar
Kokonoe
Not Banned
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:31 am

Pannaliciour wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:OH MY GOD

OH MY FUCKING GOD

GOHAN DEFLECTED KEFLA'S BLAST AND IS GETTING SPOTLIGHT

Excuse the caps but...
I...
never would've expected this
like ever
I'm so shocked
almost a tear to my eye
God I love Toyotaro...

Wait for the next chapter where he gets eliminated at once. Then tell me if you still love him.
You have a problem with me liking Toyotaro or something? Sounds really immature and pathetic.

Post Reply