"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:04 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:
1345521 wrote: Hm? :| I had a hard understand what you were getting at in this post, I'm not saying kale eliminating fodder was that cool (especially since toyotaro didn't even both to show us the cabaillities of these people and why they lasted this long in the first place), but it does make kale even more impressive as well as make me interested in the story. And the reason I love kale is because broly is my favorite character in the franchise, so having kale be very simloar to broly but still be kinda distinct and her own character is a great plus. I mean ask any hardcore broly who they like better now, most either say they are I differnt towards both or they like manga kale better. Which for toyotaro is an sucess, captivate towards the broly fans. All these pessimist (anime troopers) who want fodder wank would have still hated your chapter anyway, so it's better to appeal to groups in the fandom that like having their character shine. Broly fans are somewhat excited and now gohan fans have interst in the manga. Go for the big fish is what toyotaro is doing, not trying to appease the skeptics.
Fan pandering?Because that’s what this quote implies.
And when I mean interested in the story. I actually feel EMOTION when reading dbs manga which is why I've become a big fan.for example, reading chapter 38. The facial expression toyotaro draws goku and others when they are shocked is the same expression I had reading this chapter. That's great! In the anime it's more of a bore fest and cringe fest because everything is so childesh and it only appeals to 12 year old children and people who try to act like man-childs. I really love how toyotaro is making a story that he likes and not trying to appease the famdom. That's what Akira did so Toyo is now following the same footsteps. Dosent mean I found this chapter perfect, but it had some good stuff. Characterization was great
I never get that much emotional on fiction,so I won’t comment on that.Akira toriyama didn’t have any sentimental attachments to characters while in recent chapters toyotaro seems to be pandering to his personal fandom.
Art was awesome
His art is average,his panelling is quite weak,his choreography is lacking and biggest of all he doesn’t bring creativity.I wanted to reply to your previous comment about art,but I’ll reply now.
From one punch man:
[spoiler][img].http://onepunchman.wikia.com/wiki/Oroch ... nesis_.png[/img]
[img].http://vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/Elder_C ... l_Wave.png[/img][/spoiler]
From berserk:
[spoiler][img].http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon?file=Dragons.JPG[/img][/spoiler]
There’s obviously the original manga,vagabond,even nanatsu no taizai,dr. stone etc.
I know that I am being too hard on toyotaro by comparing with these examples,but my point is toyotaro is an amateur and it shows.
Power scailing made sense
Consistency was good
I really like these things about the manga,but the truth is that the only reason it gets so much praise is because anime is very bad at this and people have this notion that dragon ball was always bad.Remove that and it isn’t that amazing.
And what were saying about god royale? Don't tell me you found the god sparring matach in the anime better then the manga fight to death royale?
I was talking about the manga god battle royale which if you ask me was better than the actual tournament.[/quote]
Yes...I guess it's fan pandering... :? ...

No you're not being hard on toyotaro. You're just being objective and blunt about it, I have a good sense of someone who just has predujices against toyotaro. You Defitnly aren't one of them, you scream neutral and honest.
I'm not much of an manga reader, the only real manga I've read is dbs. So I really don't know, the reason I like his art because I find easier to make out what's going on. In other manga (one peice) I have to squint to even make out what the heck is happening, while for toyotaro it's much more simplistic. Plus his color coding is GERGOUS! Though I do think I agree and say his battle dynamic are a little to plain. Best example is hit and mssj blue goku vs jiren. That fight should have been sending huge shock waves and making everyone stop to watch the fight because of how insanely powerful they are. Kinda like goku vs jiren in the 1 hour special.

Dragon ball has a lot more going for it then just power scailing consistency, and even the manga. Manga has:
Steady amount of gore
Solid characterization
Neat ideas (though usually all controversial)
Decent writing (in scope of all mangas while for dragon ball standards it's above average)
Etc.

Manga god royale was better then tournment itself? Hahahah, hey can't say I totally dissagree. My rating for both chapters 28 and 29 were a 95/100 and 90/100 while the ToP in the manga is averaging only about an 85/100.
But your feedback was well appcriated! Thank you for at least appearing to be honest and give valid critism of toyotaro. To many times I've come across people who just slander toyotaro which makes me become defensive.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:14 pm

Kokonoe wrote:People can like or dislike the manga, just as long as everyone respects each others views which apparently some people aren't doing in this thread which is a shame.

I love the manga, I don't like the anime, just my view. I think the manga is written better, but you don't have to feel like I do. That said, the manga makes me really happy, and I'm a huge Toyotaro fan.
I agree 100%, don't mean to put you on the spot. But would those "some people in the thread" he referring to me? And if yes, how?

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:20 pm

1345521 wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:People can like or dislike the manga, just as long as everyone respects each others views which apparently some people aren't doing in this thread which is a shame.

I love the manga, I don't like the anime, just my view. I think the manga is written better, but you don't have to feel like I do. That said, the manga makes me really happy, and I'm a huge Toyotaro fan.
I agree 100%, don't mean to put you on the spot. But would those "some people in the thread" he referring to me? And if yes, how?
I haven't read your posts so no. It's better I don't call people out but if we can all just respect each others views that would be great.

Like it just becomes a shouting contest when we're like:

NO ANIME BETTER
NO MANGA BETTER

We all just need to take a chill pill and just discuss our preferences politely and realize at the end of the day, all of our views are subjective.

Every single person including me, it's all subjective.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:47 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
1345521 wrote:

I haven't read your posts so no. It's better I don't call people out but if we can all just respect each others views that would be great.

Like it just becomes a shouting contest when we're like:

NO ANIME BETTER
NO MANGA BETTER

We all just need to take a chill pill and just discuss our preferences politely and realize at the end of the day, all of our views are subjective.

Every single person including me, it's all subjective.
Yeah you're right, anime vs manga battles are about as heated as democrats vs rebulican debates. If people stop dissing toyotaro and giving him a bunch of trash EVERY SINGLE MONTH ( AND ITS THE SAME PEOPLE. REDDIT, YOUTUBE, KENSENSHUU ALL THEM-usually the same users come and take a fart on toyotaros manga every month WHILE IN THE PROCESS DEFNEDING EVERYTHING IN TOEIS ANIME. And then these same groups of people also go and start trashing Z, and GT and dragon ball in general just so people can give kudos to dbs anime. Like with the phrases "db has never been a serious anime, it's not meant to be taking so seriously. Power scailing is stupid. Og DrAgOn BaLl nEvER hAd PowEr sCaiLinG" they create alternative facts, and trash many things I love about dragon ball just to proect the supers anime. Then...oh my goodness.. PEOLLE FROM ANIME FRANCHISES start to come in and join them by saying dragon ball always sucked and is basically like dbs. You're being blinded by NosTalGia. Other animes are better (which is fine if you think that other animes/mangas are better but those who defend dbs and trash all other db works just to promote their anime because of the EMBARRASSMENT of dbs is what really gives me problems)

MODS. PLEASE, IF YOU ARE READING THIS FKR REVIEW. DONT TAKE DOWN TTIS POST. I'm ONLY GOING TO TALK ABKUT THIS ONCE HERE SO PEOPLE CAN UNDERSTAND WHY I SPEAK AGAINST DBS ANIME TV SHOW. PLEASE, let me post live!

I can't stand it! And I won't tolerate watching my community of a show that influcendd my childhood be looked at as something of only for like a "stupid fun battle show that's not serious at all". I won't tolerate narratives like that, which is the sentiment I sense for those who trash toyotaro. It's why when people do such things, I DRAW OUT MY SWORD AND I GO TO DEBATE! (I don't cuss at people but if people are just going to like puke at toyotaro, I'm going to defend him and stab at toei with RUTHLESS FORCE! Even if it may appear to an bystander as to much)To prevent my community to becoming a joke and shell of what it once was.

And to keep this in subject....um.... Dbs manga 38 was good because kale was awesome, there I stayed relevant on topic. Don't remove my comment, pretty please :)

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:15 pm

DANG YALL!? I guess my last comment really BROUGHT THE HOUSE DOWN... Get it?.. :lol: .....*Crickets*.....
EHEM,

Um... What's your guys opinion of goku character portrayal in the manga vs anime?

prince212
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by prince212 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:40 pm

1345521 wrote:
I'm not much of an manga reader, the only real manga I've read is dbs. So I really don't know, the reason I like his art because I find easier to make out what's going on. In other manga (one peice) I have to squint to even make out what the heck is happening, while for toyotaro it's much more simplistic. Plus his color coding is GERGOUS! Though I do think I agree and say his battle dynamic are a little to plain. .
Yeap toyotaro is simplistic compare to one piece or one punch man ( both of them I collect ) , that simplicity is inhereted of the original art of dragon ball , it’s good and I like it to keep it , otherwise toyos manga won’t have dragon ball essence.
I love Oda and MUrata,s art panels for their series , I consider them genius and I understand when you said sometimes is hard to understand what’s going on .
For dragon ball super Toyotaro is the best professional we can have if we want to keep old days appeal.
Most of the times is easier to be a genius doing something that you created than something that was already created .
I said professional yes , because some people like to call him an amateur and that’s not truth , starting with him being paid by Shueisha and choose by them and Toriyama , who are personalities that want the best for his product .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

prince212
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by prince212 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:48 pm

1345521 wrote:
Um... What's your guys opinion of goku character portrayal in the manga vs anime?
I don’t like both of them characterizations , but as an example of future trunks arc. I rather zamasu stealing the senzu beans to goku than goku forgeting them in the toilet. Mangas goku seems to have little more brains .

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:49 pm

prince212 wrote:
1345521 wrote:
I'm not much of an manga reader, the only real manga I've read is dbs. So I really don't know, the reason I like his art because I find easier to make out what's going on. In other manga (one peice) I have to squint to even make out what the heck is happening, while for toyotaro it's much more simplistic. Plus his color coding is GERGOUS! Though I do think I agree and say his battle dynamic are a little to plain. .
Yeap toyotaro is simplistic compare to one piece or one punch man ( both of them I collect ) , that simplicity is inhereted of the original art of dragon ball , it’s good and I like it to keep it , otherwise toyos manga won’t have dragon ball essence.
I love Oda and MUrata,s art panels for their series , I consider them genius and I understand when you said sometimes is hard to understand what’s going on .
For dragon ball super Toyotaro is the best professional we can have if we want to keep old days appeal.
Most of the times is easier to be a genius doing something that you created than something that was already created .
I said professional yes , because some people like to call him an amateur and that’s not truth , starting with him being paid by Shueisha and choose by them and Toriyama , who are personalities that want the best for his product .
Exactly, why can't super anime be like how super manga was for OG db manga and follow after Z. KEEP THE ARTSTYLE, yammuro screwed up dbs. And yeah deifntionly, one peice and one lunch mangas do deserve their respect and I'd guess are greater artist then toyotaro. I just find toyos art and that simplistic and distinct dragon ball art style more then these more edgier and artistic complex mangas.

Oh really I like gokus character in the manga. Manga goku reminds me of ...spongebob. Like, he's a goofball and man child but sometimes can get serious and show why he's an adult. I love how toyotaro gives goku edge as well, like when goku was learning the mafuba and Roshi said for goku to take him to like some brothel. Goku just looked at him with blank silence which tells me goku knew what he was referring too but didn't know what to say. Idk, I like how toyotaro shows child goku but also serious goku. Especially these last chapters, goku has been aware and diplomatic. When he butted in to help Frieza so he can take out kale, or told jiren he can go help his team we will continue fight afterwards (anime goku would be excited to fight someone like kale and just goof around and then not even think about jirens teamates and just want to fight jiren because he's strong)

Anime goku kinda likes any character. He's very shallow, he's to dumb and has so much character regression from Z it's laughable. He's way to cheerful all the time, and unsympathetic, he's not an leader AT ALL. It's very cringe having him with goten because he's evenness mature then goten which is why toei barley ever shows him with goten. He looks like he's mental because of how much character he lacks. He's just boring and un interesting other then he's always smiling and is really strong which I guess turns on the pre teens. Plus he's drawn much younger then what we was in Z which further shows how weird his anime character is. And then he tears up at Roshi...and cries? Oh my goodness...his character sucks ball sack in the anime? The amount of character regression is just deflating.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:08 am

Doctor. wrote:Apparently that's the only thing that matters in Dragon Ball now.

Dragon Ball was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.
This made me lol...Iove your bluntness, I always did. :lol:

Don't get too salty Doctor.

This is what Dragonball is all about!
Last edited by Miracles on Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."~Psalm 14:1

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by Bergamo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:01 am

Doctor. wrote:
1345521 wrote:Manga is focusing on the big players so we can have epic fights.
Apparently that's the only thing that matters in Dragon Ball now.

What else is there to focus on in a tournament arc? Don't forget that epic fights and tournament arcs are what made Dragon Ball popular to begin with.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:50 am

prince212 wrote:
1345521 wrote:
I am not only talking about art style.A better example would be one.Murata usually only expands the action scene,every other panel is story boarded by one himself and his art style,lets just say isn’t the greatest.But take a look at panelling of one punch man and dbs.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:49 am

1345521 wrote:And then he tears up at Roshi...and cries?
Oh boy... please do tell us why this is bad.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:49 am

Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
1345521 wrote:Manga is focusing on the big players so we can have epic fights.
Apparently that's the only thing that matters in Dragon Ball now.

What else is there to focus on in a tournament arc? Don't forget that epic fights and tournament arcs are what made Dragon Ball popular to begin with.
The characters? Dynamics? Emotion? You know, the things we have to be invested in to care about the fights?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:58 am

alakazam^ wrote:
I also felt that it was a little bit off for Goku to cry. I mean, look at Z Goku. When Krillin died he didn't even shed a tear. Even when his sons died when Buu destroyed the Earth too. Sure, he felt angry, sad and also showed some kind of regret for letting this happen, but he didn't cry. I understand that crying on such occasions is absolutely normal, but in my point of view not for Goku.

It seems the Super anime tried to give Goku some typical shounen characteristics, but it kinda felt awkward for him to have them. However, the scene with Roshi and Goku was nonetheless very touching and made me tear up a little, so props to Toei for that.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

TKA
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by TKA » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:33 am

Kanassa wrote:The characters? Dynamics? Emotion? You know, the things we have to be invested in to care about the fights?
I like that stuff as much as the next guy, and strongly prefer it to just wanton violence, but it's kind of provable that this series only became popular due to the tournaments. We know Toriyama made the conscious decision to include them in order to boost popularity.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Batman is out there busting his ass to avenge Goku and you won't even go see him do it?!

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:52 am

TKA wrote:
Kanassa wrote:The characters? Dynamics? Emotion? You know, the things we have to be invested in to care about the fights?
I like that stuff as much as the next guy, and strongly prefer it to just wanton violence, but it's kind of provable that this series only became popular due to the tournaments. We know Toriyama made the conscious decision to include them in order to boost popularity.
Yes, and the tournaments had those stuff, otherwise, they'd be nothing more than flash without substance. "This fight looks cool, but why should I give a shit?"

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:58 am

MyNiggaGoku wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:
I also felt that it was a little bit off for Goku to cry. I mean, look at Z Goku. When Krillin died he didn't even shed a tear. Even when his sons died when Buu destroyed the Earth too. Sure, he felt angry, sad and also showed some kind of regret for letting this happen, but he didn't cry. I understand that crying on such occasions is absolutely normal, but in my point of view not for Goku.

It seems the Super anime tried to give Goku some typical shounen characteristics, but it kinda felt awkward for him to have them. However, the scene with Roshi and Goku was nonetheless very touching and made me tear up a little, so props to Toei for that.
I don't find it inappropriate for Goku to shed some tears in that scenario. Roshi has known Goku for decades and was one of the first friends he ever made. And considering how much Roshi has taught Goku, how much that proved to be a significant in Goku path to power, and how much of father figure he was to Goku after Grandpa Gohan was dead, I think Goku as every right to be as emotional as he was. I mean, Goku cried when Krillin died for the first time.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:12 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
MyNiggaGoku wrote:
alakazam^ wrote: Oh boy... please do tell us why this is bad.

I don't find it inappropriate for Goku to shed some tears in that scenario. Roshi has known Goku for decades and was one of the first friends he ever made. And considering how much Roshi has taught Goku, how much that proved to be a significant in Goku path to power, and how much of father figure he was to Goku after Grandpa Gohan was dead, I think Goku as every right to be as emotional as he was. I mean, Goku cried when Krillin died for the first time.
Let's also think about the situations themselves:
Krillin's death on Namek - The fucker who did it was right there laughing in Goku's face and Goku was transforming for the first time
Roshi seemingly dying - Roshi did this to himself after yelling a heartfelt speech to his students and Goku doesn't have anyone disturbing the moment, letting it peacefully sink in that his second father figure was seemingly dead in his arms. Let's not also forget that Roshi, in his speech, said 'YOU TWO TAUGHT ME TO DO THIS!' so Goku could also be feeling guilt there/

Kanassa wrote:

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:19 am

MyNiggaGoku wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:

Your dragon ball canon is 100% accurate. Though you do realize Z contradicts db minus (flbardock - Father of goku) and dbs manga contradicts BoG and RoF movies somewhat. Mainly in just the power scailing department.

And I dissagree. I was not emotional at all, I was facepalming and cringing so hard. Goku crying? C'mon. And then Kuririn even crying more like a girl? Oh gosh, it was a joke. The scene wasn't emotional because to me that scene dosent even exist since I don't take the anime of super as canon. Goku has seen Kuririn die, his friends did against nappa. Against buu (VEGETA AND GOHAN DIED AND GOKU TOOK IT ON LIKE. True warrior! He told the. Families with that serious goku look and even told trunks and goten to stop crying, he saw buu DESOTRY PLANET EARTH WITH ROSHI WHO ACTUALLY DIED) and you're telling me now when Roshi is weak (you already know he's not going to die as an audience. Because it's a kid show and they aren't going to do that like they would in Z, db and GT), goku starts crying? Hahahah, that scene was. A JOKE. Hm...forgot what else I was going to say.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by prince212 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:16 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
prince212 wrote:
1345521 wrote:
I am not only talking about art style.A better example would be one.Murata usually only expands the action scene,every other panel is story boarded by one himself and his art style,lets just say isn’t the greatest.But take a look at panelling of one punch man and dbs.
I told you I’m a fig fan of one punch , art , paneling etc .
I’m not placing toyo at his level , I just said he’s not an amateur and my explanation was on my previous message