"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:45 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Where my leaks at? :think:
This is not the thread you're looking for.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Lionel wrote:Zamasu actually calls out Goku and Vegeta for the saturation of their innate strength with the might and devices of the gods. When you get to the kernel of their life's journeys, you'll find that they have in fact been subsuming their pursuits with the influence of higher celestial forces' power. Goku has been doing this since the beginning with deities such as Karin and by inadvertently benefiting from their training through the likes of Roshi. Vegeta ironically continued to maintain the sterility of his power up until he requested training from Whis. You then have the occasions where they employed the Potara Earrings, accessories intended to act as the martial trump card of the gods, being taken advantage of for the Saiyans' own purposes.

Sure, Goku and Vegeta are able to shatter Zamasu's pretenses of unerring authority and might, but it can't be denied that their means for doing so were compromised with artificial power from realms above. If you want to look at a strictly uncompromised bearer of mortal power and mortal power alone then some better examples would be Freeza and Hit.

Putting aside Zamasu's lack of comparable raw power, I don't see why he should have been panicking in that scene from the manga. Your psychic abilities are so efficient that they're able to halt SSJG Goku in his tracks. What's stopping you from pretzeling Goku's limbs into a hideous knot then blocking his airways with your hand? Get those powers of yours to be used qualitatively.
SSG Goku was fast enough to move out of the way before getting hit by Zamas's telekinesis. Also, the airway thing is like asking why Goku doesn't instant transmission Jiren out of the ring.
That's true. I imagine Zamasu would likely have to devise some kind of two or even multi-pronged strategy utilising variations of his telekinesis in order to outplay his opponent. It's difficult but achievable, I think.

Goku doesn't use such a cut-and-dry tactic because he can't? Is that the implication? Well I would agree for the most part. Grabbing hold of Jiren and then having enough time to execute an exit strategy teleportation would require more time than I imagine Goku has available. Chances are there would have to be some type of diversionary tactic employed that's able to disorientate Jiren long enough for Goku to teleport next to him. The Taiyoken is an obvious possibility. Circumferential sensing confusion via projectiles might be another. The question there would be can Goku teleport underneath someone in the earth itself? Little bit hackneyed but I'm curious to know if it would work here.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:44 am

Lionel wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Lionel wrote:Zamasu actually calls out Goku and Vegeta for the saturation of their innate strength with the might and devices of the gods. When you get to the kernel of their life's journeys, you'll find that they have in fact been subsuming their pursuits with the influence of higher celestial forces' power. Goku has been doing this since the beginning with deities such as Karin and by inadvertently benefiting from their training through the likes of Roshi. Vegeta ironically continued to maintain the sterility of his power up until he requested training from Whis. You then have the occasions where they employed the Potara Earrings, accessories intended to act as the martial trump card of the gods, being taken advantage of for the Saiyans' own purposes.

Sure, Goku and Vegeta are able to shatter Zamasu's pretenses of unerring authority and might, but it can't be denied that their means for doing so were compromised with artificial power from realms above. If you want to look at a strictly uncompromised bearer of mortal power and mortal power alone then some better examples would be Freeza and Hit.

Putting aside Zamasu's lack of comparable raw power, I don't see why he should have been panicking in that scene from the manga. Your psychic abilities are so efficient that they're able to halt SSJG Goku in his tracks. What's stopping you from pretzeling Goku's limbs into a hideous knot then blocking his airways with your hand? Get those powers of yours to be used qualitatively.
SSG Goku was fast enough to move out of the way before getting hit by Zamas's telekinesis. Also, the airway thing is like asking why Goku doesn't instant transmission Jiren out of the ring.
That's true. I imagine Zamasu would likely have to devise some kind of two or even multi-pronged strategy utilising variations of his telekinesis in order to outplay his opponent. It's difficult but achievable, I think.

Goku doesn't use such a cut-and-dry tactic because he can't? Is that the implication? Well I would agree for the most part. Grabbing hold of Jiren and then having enough time to execute an exit strategy teleportation would require more time than I imagine Goku has available. Chances are there would have to be some type of diversionary tactic employed that's able to disorientate Jiren long enough for Goku to teleport next to him. The Taiyoken is an obvious possibility. Circumferential sensing confusion via projectiles might be another. The question there would be can Goku teleport underneath someone in the earth itself? Little bit hackneyed but I'm curious to know if it would work here.
The point is that they are both avenues that the author has no intention of exploring. Zamas can't use telekinesis to insta-kill his foes because that would be stupid writing so the author won't do it. There are also too many examples of fighters using telekinesis without crushing vital organs, so it can be assumed it is impossible to do so.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:55 am

Bergamo wrote:
Lionel wrote:
Bergamo wrote: SSG Goku was fast enough to move out of the way before getting hit by Zamas's telekinesis. Also, the airway thing is like asking why Goku doesn't instant transmission Jiren out of the ring.

The point is that they are both avenues that the author has no intention of exploring. Zamas can't use telekinesis to insta-kill his foes because that would be stupid writing so the author won't do it. There are also too many examples of fighters using telekinesis without crushing vital organs, so it can be assumed it is impossible to do so.
Actually, one example of telekinesis used involved a character, Chaozu, inducing a stomach ache. Blue's seemed to involve the transmission of his power through the optic nerve. Biologics can play a role in using psychic abilities. If the mechanics of paralysis involves the physical overburdening of a character then I don't see how such physical impulsion couldn't be used to reposition and contort the posture of a victim's limbs. Nevermind if the intent is to halt a person's body then why would their internal functions be any different?

So in your words, it's an avenue that Toriyama won't explore? That's a plausible explanation, yeah. I would be interested to see how he goes about helping Goku to navigate his way through overcoming this psychic manipulation of his body (beyond just overpoweing his opponent's hold or whatever).

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:45 am

Psychic powers and such things in Dragon Ball always seemed to be underwhelming if the opponent is far stronger than you.

Zamasu here seems to be doing the same as Kaioshin who was able to immobilize a SSJ2 Gohan, unfortunately seems that's all it can do. Seems to be far superior to what Chiaotzu does but it's lackluster and a move who would only work in a team effort.

I guess Guldo almost pulled it off but he lost is head. However this seems like another category of special powers.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:25 am

Last call for predictions! V-jump comes out a day early this month so I imagine we'll get the translated chapter a bit early too.

I figure we'll get into the meat and potatoes of Goku vs Jiren this month but I'm not expecting too much in the way of big twists or surprises.
LightBing wrote:Psychic powers and such things in Dragon Ball always seemed to be underwhelming if the opponent is far stronger than you.
I think Frieza has one of the better displays of psychic powers. He uses them to throw things at people. Still not all that great but it gives him a little extra versatility.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:28 am

Mattias_
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mattias_ » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:29 am

POWER LEVELS: (Updated / Restored / Leveled / No multiplier nor daizenshuu wrong info)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14197&p=1519362#p1519362 Check it out if you want some information.

POWER LEVELS:

Jaco the Patrolman vol. I - XI
Dragon Ball Minus
Dragon Ball vol. I - XLII
Dragon Ball Super manga cap. 1 - ???

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:30 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:Last call for predictions! V-jump comes out a day early this month so I imagine we'll get the translated chapter a bit early too.

I figure we'll get into the meat and potatoes of Goku vs Jiren this month but I'm not expecting too much in the way of big twists or surprises.
LightBing wrote:Psychic powers and such things in Dragon Ball always seemed to be underwhelming if the opponent is far stronger than you.
I think Frieza has one of the better displays of psychic powers. He uses them to throw things at people. Still not all that great but it gives him a little extra versatility.
Has he used that in the tournament. Because the only time Frieza used them that I can recall was in DBZ where that stuff was still kind of prevalent. Also where Goku was also randomly given random psychic powers.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:35 am

kemuri07 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Last call for predictions! V-jump comes out a day early this month so I imagine we'll get the translated chapter a bit early too.

Has he used that in the tournament. Because the only time Frieza used them that I can recall was in DBZ where that stuff was still kind of prevalent. Also where Goku was also randomly given random psychic powers.
Eurgh forgot that DB had some shitty writing even before the Android arc.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 am

kemuri07 wrote:

He used them to hit Toppo with some rocks in the anime and I think Jiren too. Didn't he also use them a few chapters back? I'm having a total brain fart. :lol:

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:09 pm

kemuri07 wrote:Has he used that in the tournament. Because the only time Frieza used them that I can recall was in DBZ where that stuff was still kind of prevalent. Also where Goku was also randomly given random psychic powers.
I don't think he did, can't remember. Are you talking about mind-reading in the Namek Arc? Because Goku never had psychic powers outside of anime filler.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:20 pm

LightBing wrote:
kemuri07 wrote:Has he used that in the tournament. Because the only time Frieza used them that I can recall was in DBZ where that stuff was still kind of prevalent. Also where Goku was also randomly given random psychic powers.
I don't think he did, can't remember. Are you talking about mind-reading in the Namek Arc? Because Goku never had psychic powers outside of anime filler.
I've only watched the anime version of that arc. So I didn't know that it was filler-only material.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:32 pm

Just saw some scans.
Looks like Toyotaro lack of creativity, or should I say "homages", will never go away.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 pm

kemuri07 wrote:
LightBing wrote:
I've only watched the anime version of that arc. So I didn't know that it was filler-only material.
You mean that time he read Kuririn's mind?
Or are you referring to that time he sort of ki pushed Freeza near the beginning of the fight?

Either way, both those things happened in the manga...

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Getting this comment in here before the thread gets locked.
RecolorSaiyan wrote:
It was the end of the chapter? Figures. Guessing most of the chapter is Jiren wrecking Vegeta. Despite the ToP being Toyotaro's worst arc in my opinion (he's done so much better in the past arcs... this arc is like I'm watching the anime ToP all over again in terms of quality), still curious to see how he shakes/fucks/mucks/changes it up. Also, your profile name is awesome btw :lol: :lol: :lol:

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:46 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:
Oh. Oop. Never mind then. This is slightly more intriguing...
Kanassa wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Where my leaks at? :think:
This is not the thread you're looking for.
:p

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:32 pm

The full chapter summary is already out (originally in Spanish, also translated to French).
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Seems Manga Jiren unleashes a blast that the Angels even try to avoid. Mabye they are acting too pompous as to take the direct blast, so they dodge instead. Gonna have to wait and see the panels first. If Angels looks concerned about the attack, wouldn't that imply that Jiren and people around that level are much closer to Angels then originally thought?
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku