"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Lukmendes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lukmendes » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Miracles wrote:Also, Do you think Goku was in MSSB against Kale? I don't think so from the way Freeza was able to kick Goku out of blue so easily when supposedly saving him from Kale?
There was no reason for him to not do it, since MSSB is both stronger and wastes less stamina than normal Blue, you can see that he has no aura too.

After Freeza kicks Goku you can see in a panel that Goku is still with Blue before landing, plus he doesn't actualy look hurt, so maybe he consciously chose to stop using Blue, maybe because if he was just gonna scream at Freeza he didn't think Blue was needed.

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1741
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Son-Kakaroto wrote: The dbs manga traits:
Bad writing
Boring villians
Weak villians
Unimagintive art
sewage-water power scailing
poor character use (Kuririn, 18, trunks, piccolo etc
What about the writing is bad?
In what way are the villains boring?
What do you mean when you say the villains are weak, and why is it bad?
What makes the manga's power scaling bad? Why is power scaling in specific instances important to you?
What about the side character use to you find poor?
terrible pacing
Just curious, do you find the pacing of the DBS anime to be good?
unimaginative art
Poor page layout
Just because you watched a couple of YouTube videos that said this, it doesn't mean you can just state this as fact.
unpopular in the fandom, TNM, Geekdom
Aside from the fact that Geekdom and TNM should not be considered authorities on Dragon Ball imo, using another persons beliefs to back up your point is incredibly weak evidence. Their opinions are no more valid than any random Kanzenshuu poster.

The majority of the English speaking fandom also considers the DBZ dub to be superior to the Japanese version, so let's not use what you believe to be fan concensus as evidence, either.
toyotaro apologist
The fact that you use terminology like this but are unable to provide a shred of evidence for any of your assertions is extremely hypocritical.

Posting sassy reaction gifs is not in the spirit of posting on Kanzenshuu.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1840
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Son-Kakaroto wrote: Bad writing
What is so bad in manga writing that doesn't apply to anime as well?
Son-Kakaroto wrote: Boring villians
Weak villians
Yeah, except manga has the same villains as anime. And the ones exclusive to anime (Copy-Vegeta and Watagash) are so bad they didn't appear anywhere since their debut including Heroes and pretty much no one talk about them. And i don't see how execution in manga was so different except for Fused Zamasu actually being a badass in place of anime crybaby that turned into purple slime. Jiren has no personality in both. Golden Frieza arc didn't even appear in manga.
Son-Kakaroto wrote: sewage-water power scailing
Yeah because Goku needing SSJ Blue to beat Gohan and his attacks being blocked by 18 makes much more sense.
The only big issue manga has compared to anime is how weak Kefla was.
Son-Kakaroto wrote: Unpopular among the famdon (look at totally not mark, geekdom, etc)
Who cares about them? Look at me lol.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
TKA
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TKA » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:01 pm

Miracles wrote: Also, Do you think Goku was in MSSB against Kale? I don't think so from the way Freeza was able to kick Goku out of blue so easily when supposedly saving him from Kale?
I don't think it really... uhm... matters, I guess.

The point of the scene was that Kale was overpowering fighters that should be able to beat her because they were underestimating her (and the next chapter backs this up with Vegeta saying the same thing).

But if you take narrative intent away and look at this all really mechanically: Kale was attacking a lot while Goku was dodging her pretty easily, and then she finally got 1 shot through. If we're generous, that means Kale got 1/10 attacks through. That, to me, says Goku could easily beat her if he was to fight serious and focus on her.

Also, it's worth reading Rebel Instinct's posts on the matter. They're very good and very well-thought-out
supersaiyanZero wrote:I have no problem with the series' #1 prodigy, since the very first arc of Z, going toe to toe with Kefla. The only travesty is that the fight happened off screen and thus executed very poorly.
See, I wouldn't mind it as much if it was just "executed very poorly". At least then we would've gotten something. As it is, it wasn't executed at all, which is worse.
Last edited by TKA on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder


http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Batman is out there busting his ass to avenge Goku and you won't even go see him do it?!

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Son-Kakaroto wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
It should be obvious to everyone involved that the way that was handled was blatantly inconsistent scaling. If he decides not to argue with manga apologists about it, then so be it. I don't blame him for it one bit.
The dbs manga traits:
Bad writing
Boring villians
Weak villians
Unimagintive art
sewage-water power scailing
poor character use (Kuririn, 18, trunks, piccolo etc)
Goku and Vegeta wank (but even still, they are a joke in power compared to their anime counterparts LOOOOL)
poor page layout
Unpopular among the famdon (look at totally not mark, geekdom, etc)
Terrible pacing

I try talking to the toyotaro apologist but he would just deflect and say "well, toyotaro couldn't do better".
You know what's obvious? That you don't have a single good argument to back up your statements and are nothing short of bark and no bite. This reeks of a YouTube comment.

The fandom is not dictated by ppl like Totally Not Mark or clowns like Geekdom. The latter who creates knee-jerk reactions on chapters before they are released in English, in a language he can't even speak. Good thing the DBS manga sales imply otherwise.

But of course you are going to call me a manga or Toyotarou apologist as if you had any other argument in the first place.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Lukmendes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lukmendes » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:33 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:Yeah, except manga has the same villains as anime. And the ones exclusive to anime (Copy-Vegeta and Watagash) are so bad they didn't appear anywhere since their debut including Heroes and pretty much no one talk about them. And i don't see how execution in manga was so different except for Fused Zamasu actually being a badass in place of anime crybaby that turned into purple slime. Jiren has no personality in both. Golden Frieza arc didn't even appear in manga.
There's Black too, anime and manga versions are like night and day, even on how the saiyan traits affect their personalities.
TKA wrote:But if you take narrative intent away and look at this all really mechanically: Kale was attacking a lot while Goku was dodging her pretty easily, and then she finally got 1 shot through. If we're generous, that means Kale got 1/10 attacks through. That, to me, says Goku could easily beat her if he was to fight serious and focus on her.
Goku didn't dodge her at all, she threw a punch at him which he easily blocked, but when she started to attack him again, her power increase was clearly pushing him to the point she overwhelmed him, not saying this means she'd ultimately win, just that their brief scuffle got in her favor pretty quick

User avatar
OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:44 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:43 pm

The worst part about “power scaling” discussions are that, more often than not, weaker characters damaging stronger character simply cannot be accepted. Kuririn and Gohan both manage to hurt Freeza, someone far stronger than them, by fighting intelligently or gaining a brief upper hand in the Namek arc.

It’s totally possible for Kale to overwhelm Goku momentarily without it being “inconsistent power scaling” or other such nonsense.
Check out my video game & Dragon Ball write-ups here: https://www.goombastomp.com/author/renan-fontes/

User avatar
prince212
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: wild west

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by prince212 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:56 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:The worst part about “power scaling” discussions are that, more often than not, weaker characters damaging stronger character simply cannot be accepted. Kuririn and Gohan both manage to hurt Freeza, someone far stronger than them, by fighting intelligently or gaining a brief upper hand in the Namek arc.

It’s totally possible for Kale to overwhelm Goku momentarily without it being “inconsistent power scaling” or other such nonsense.
Right . If weaker characters couldn’t damage stronger by luck, surprise or better played movements , the series will be boring as hell . It’s weird that any of those “lucky” moments by weaker fighters its being criticized, when they are the moments that dress the salad .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

User avatar
YamiGoku
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:53 pm

You guys can like the manga more than the anime, but calling the DBS manga "bad" is not just an opinion but it's a fact.

cramming every page with like 80 panels, putting walls of unnecessary text on each page and filling the pages of every fighting scenes with tons of panels of people reacting to them, that's not how a good manga is composed.

Toriyama himself basically told this to toyotaro on an interview, and toyo said "I keep that it in mind" he sure did...

you can like this version of the story, thats fine, but you all defend the manga like it was a masterpiece and its just as flawed as the anime (a lot more in my opinion).

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:59 pm

YamiGoku wrote:You guys can like the manga more than the anime, but calling the DBS manga "bad" is not just an opinion but it's a fact.
And that's where your credibility stops.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:09 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by shadowfox87 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:03 pm

Rakurai wrote:
YamiGoku wrote:You guys can like the manga more than the anime, but calling the DBS manga "bad" is not just an opinion but it's a fact.
And that's where your credibility stops.
It's amazing how people call opinions fact at their own whim.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

User avatar
IM21
Banned
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Hell

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by IM21 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:17 pm

I love it when people are like "well, the youtuber doesn't like it so its shit". Why not make up your own mind. Also stop with "thats a fact". On the end of the day some people will like it and some won't. Just make the reasons clear and dont mention youtubers that know just as much as anyone here.

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:18 pm

shadowfox87 wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
YamiGoku wrote:You guys can like the manga more than the anime, but calling the DBS manga "bad" is not just an opinion but it's a fact.
And that's where your credibility stops.
It's amazing how people call opinions fact at their own whim.
I can never understand how people can consider a franchise as "bad" to be fact. Even majority opinion doesn't make it fact.

We can discuss facts within the context of what occurred in the manga. But when it comes to opinions about writing, story, characterization, etc., there's only the good and the bad. And even then these things are never unambiguously agreed upon either.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:22 pm

IM21 wrote:I love it when people are like "well, the youtuber doesn't like it so its shit". Why not make up your own mind. Also stop with "thats a fact". On the end of the day some people will like it and some won't. Just make the reasons clear and dont mention youtubers that know just as much as anyone here.
I've personally had a friend to tell me to open up my own DB YouTube channel because he thinks I know as much as the DB YouTubers + I have most of the guidebooks + I can read Japanese fairly well. I'm sure many people here can do the same too, with the difference that we all have our own opinions about different parts of the franchise. But that's not how most of us can make our living, or even want to for that matter.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
YamiGoku
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:37 pm

Rakurai wrote:
YamiGoku wrote:You guys can like the manga more than the anime, but calling the DBS manga "bad" is not just an opinion but it's a fact.
And that's where your credibility stops.
you can say the manga is better than the anime, and thats a valid opinion, you can say the story it's better, you can say the characters are better, etc

but the manga is factually badly composed

you don't need to go far, just grab a page from the DBZ or DB manga (witch are good), and compare it to the DBS manga, its like day and night

one is going to look way too cramed with panels and text, the other one is going to look simple, more to the point and will end with a hook on the last panel to make you want to keep reading.

User avatar
IM21
Banned
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Hell

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by IM21 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:57 pm

YamiGoku wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
YamiGoku wrote:You guys can like the manga more than the anime, but calling the DBS manga "bad" is not just an opinion but it's a fact.
And that's where your credibility stops.
you can say the manga is better than the anime, and thats a valid opinion, you can say the story it's better, you can say the characters are better, etc

but the manga is factually badly composed

you don't need to go far, just grab a page from the DBZ or DB manga (witch are good), and compare it to the DBS manga, its like day and night

one is going to look way too cramed with panels and text, the other one is going to look simple, more to the point and will end with a hook on the last panel to make you want to keep reading.
Why would anyone even compare Toyo to probably the best action mangaka of all time. Prime Toriyama pretty much destroys any action manga.

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 3218
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:59 pm

TKA wrote:
Miracles wrote: Also, Do you think Goku was in MSSB against Kale? I don't think so from the way Freeza was able to kick Goku out of blue so easily when supposedly saving him from Kale?
I don't think it really... uhm... matters, I guess.

The point of the scene was that Kale was overpowering fighters that should be able to beat her because they were underestimating her (and the next chapter backs this up with Vegeta saying the same thing).

But if you take narrative intent away and look at this all really mechanically: Kale was attacking a lot while Goku was dodging her pretty easily, and then she finally got 1 shot through. If we're generous, that means Kale got 1/10 attacks through. That, to me, says Goku could easily beat her if he was to fight serious and focus on her.

Also, it's worth reading Rebel Instinct's posts on the matter. They're very good and very well-thought-out.
I Appreciate it.

User avatar
YamiGoku
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:08 pm

IM21 wrote:
YamiGoku wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
And that's where your credibility stops.
you can say the manga is better than the anime, and thats a valid opinion, you can say the story it's better, you can say the characters are better, etc

but the manga is factually badly composed

you don't need to go far, just grab a page from the DBZ or DB manga (witch are good), and compare it to the DBS manga, its like day and night

one is going to look way too cramed with panels and text, the other one is going to look simple, more to the point and will end with a hook on the last panel to make you want to keep reading.
Why would anyone even compare Toyo to probably the best action mangaka of all time. Prime Toriyama pretty much destroys any action manga.
I dont expect him to be on the level of "prime toriyama", but he could try to be more close to his quality, he likes to do so many "homages" he could also try to copy the composition part and not just character poses, even more after toriyama himself told him what he needed to do.

User avatar
Dragon Wukong
Regular
Posts: 627
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:06 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:21 pm

I mean, art-wise Toyotaro is better than Buu-saga Toriyama, IMO.

I'm prepared for the incoming replies telling me I'm wrong, but Buu-saga Toriyama wasn't polished at all.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by PFM18 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:30 pm

YamiGoku wrote:You guys can like the manga more than the anime, but calling the DBS manga "bad" is not just an opinion but it's a fact.
Yeah that's not how opinions work my dude. You calling the manga bad is your opinion, and nothing more. Sure, I'm also not a fan of the manga but that's just my opinion and if other people get enjoyment out of it, then more power to them.
Dragon Wukong wrote:I mean, art-wise Toyotaro is better than Buu-saga Toriyama, IMO.

I'm prepared for the incoming replies telling me I'm wrong, but Buu-saga Toriyama wasn't polished at all.
The Buu arc is complete trash so the art being bad shouodn't be surprising.
Last edited by PFM18 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply