"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:29 am

Just popping in to ask if this DBH thing has been in any way confirmed because I see so much discussion about it. Someone said manga-original, so that could mean it's not related to DBH, right?

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:40 am

Michsi wrote:Just popping in to ask if this DBH thing has been in any way confirmed because I see so much discussion about it. Someone said manga-original, so that could mean it's not related to DBH, right?
Right , seems some kind of brain paranoid because a coincidence of words , but we will see .. soon I guess
DBH prison stuff looks a totally different thing than super ,I just saw 3 anime episodes and didn’t find it interesting , also it has his own manga , so I really can’t see DBS Manga related to that ..
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:50 am

Zephyr wrote:What's not for me to decide?
The role a character has. If I'm told there's gong to be a tournament with 80 contestants and I'm shown a page spread of every team, I'm not going to think that the majority of them won't even do anything. I don't care if they're used to hype others, that doesn't tell me anything about them. Heck, they're named characters but you'd hardly know that going by the manga.
Bergamo wrote:In what way are they not the same? It's not like the 80 fighters in the ToP overcame some sort of trial to earn their spot as a competitor. In the ToP the vetting process that seperates the fodder from the high level participants is a natural one rather than forced through brackets.

You can't just say. "Nuh-uh," without backing up your claim. A one sentence response is hardly ever worthwhile.
By the mere fact they're the team members that represent their Universe. They were already chosen among millions of beings by their Gods, they don't have to further prove they qualify, which is what a preliminary is for.

I write as much as I need to. I'm not stretching a sentence just because it's "prettier" seeing two lines of text if what I want to say is perfectly conveyed in just one. Focus on the message and not on how the mensager looks like.

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:57 am

alakazam^ wrote:
The role a character has. If I'm told there's gong to be a tournament with 80 contestants and I'm shown a page spread of every team, I'm not going to think that the majority of them won't even do anything. I don't care if they're used to hype others, that doesn't tell me anything about them. Heck, they're named characters but you'd hardly know that going by the manga.
Bergamo wrote:In what way are they not the same? It's not like the 80 fighters in the ToP overcame some sort of trial to earn their spot as a competitor. In the ToP the vetting process that seperates the fodder from the high level participants is a natural one rather than forced through brackets.

You can't just say. "Nuh-uh," without backing up your claim. A one sentence response is hardly ever worthwhile.
By the mere fact they're the team members that represent their Universe. They were already chosen among millions of beings by their Gods, they don't have to further prove they qualify, which is what a preliminary is for.

I write as much as I need to. I'm not stretching a sentence just because it's "prettier" seeing two lines of text if what I want to say is perfectly conveyed in just one. Focus on the message and not on how the mensager looks like.
You do realize beings like Buu, Freeza, cold would have been representatives for universe 7 just about 50 years ago? This notion that just because they are representatives means they have to be god tier character is so lazy. Now I do think think toyotaro didn't utilize some of the fodder enough, especially the fodder that lasted well into the tourney, but this ToP didn't need to be some huge grandiose arc where every universe is as strong as god goku and vegeta.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:28 am

Miracles wrote: Actually have some type of significant plot like Zamas arc?
That's the hope.

Fights without plot is just a video game.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:26 am

TKA wrote:
Miracles wrote: Actually have some type of significant plot like Zamas arc?
That's the hope.

Fights without plot is just a video game.
:lol:

This is true. It gives the battles more meaning and sense of urgency. Also pulls the audience in more.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:59 am

Xeztin wrote:So you guys think the full broly movie will be drew in the promontional manga? Or a cliff hanger non conclusion? I really wanted to see the arc complete in manga format

The Minus-part does already have a manga-version. I don't think we are going to see a lot of the "past" in the promotional stuff, maybe a few panels in a short flashback.
I guess it would mainly focuss on the battle with Broly, but maybe not everything, they could leave the final part with Gogeta for the movie itself, like they did with the ROF-promotional manga.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:39 am

Son-Kakaroto wrote:You do realize beings like Buu, Freeza, cold would have been representatives for universe 7 just about 50 years ago? This notion that just because they are representatives means they have to be god tier character is so lazy. Now I do think think toyotaro didn't utilize some of the fodder enough, especially the fodder that lasted well into the tourney, but this ToP didn't need to be some huge grandiose arc where every universe is as strong as god goku and vegeta.
I never implied such.

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:47 am

alakazam^ wrote:
Son-Kakaroto wrote:You do realize beings like Buu, Freeza, cold would have been representatives for universe 7 just about 50 years ago? This notion that just because they are representatives means they have to be god tier character is so lazy. Now I do think think toyotaro didn't utilize some of the fodder enough, especially the fodder that lasted well into the tourney, but this ToP didn't need to be some huge grandiose arc where every universe is as strong as god goku and vegeta.
I never implied such.
Then I guess your point was to make the rest of the fodder universes more interesting? if that's your complaint about the ToP arc in manga, I agree.

... however when he tried doing that in chapter 36, you guys called it a "Boring" chapter if i'm not mistaken...

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:00 am

Oh, so Toyotaro won't waste time retelling the movie, that's a step in the right direction. :thumbup: And what is best, the next saga won't be another crap tournament without story. That is two steps in the right direction.

Looking forward to it then.
TKA wrote:Fights without plot is just Dragon Ball Super.
Fixed that for you.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:14 am

alakazam^ wrote:

Give me a reason they are different from a narrative point of view. Also, being chosen doesn't mean a thing. Remember Panputto?
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:48 am

Bergamo wrote:Give me a reason they are different from a narrative point of view. Also, being chosen doesn't mean a thing. Remember Panputto?
The context is the difference. The preliminaries aren't the main event, so unless you're being set up as a rival, everyone is dealt with either off-screen or easily. The Tournament of Power is the main event and they are blank slates so they can be fleshed out however the mangaka sees fit, and give them whatever role they want.

Yes, I remember him. In fact, he is one of the examples I was thinking about, given that he has a name, got an introduction and a chapter dedicated to his fight. He was "fodder" and Goku learned nothing from that fight and he still got more than most of these guys in the manga.
Last edited by alakazam^ on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:52 am

Grimlock wrote:
Fixed that for you.
You didn't fix anything.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:58 am

alakazam^ wrote:
Bergamo wrote:Give me a reason they are different from a narrative point of view. Also, being chosen doesn't mean a thing. Remember Panputto?
The context is the difference. The preliminaries aren't the main event, so unless you're being set up as a rival, everyone is dealt with either off-screen or easily. The Tournament of Power is the main event and they are blank slates so they can be fleshed out however the mangaka sees fit, and give them whatever role they want.

Yes, I remember him. In fact, he is one of the examples I was thinking about, given that he has a name, got an introduction and a chapter dedicated to his fight. He was still "fodder" and Goku learned nothing from that fight and he still got more than most of these guys in the manga.
There are some preliminary fighters that were a bit important like Krillin's Bullies, King Chappa, and Yajirobe, and then there were fighters like Panputto who were even less memorable than some of the preliminary fighters. No character is owed any type of performance no matter the quantity they occur in, but you have to consider the pacing of the story. If every fighter got their own chapter like Hit, then the ToP would go for 6+ years. Some fighters will get short character moments like Obuni, and others will get nothing, and that's okay.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:03 am

Lord Beerus wrote:You didn't fix anything.
Pretty sure I did.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:04 am

Grimlock wrote:
Fixed that for you.
I'd rather you not edit my posts and quote me while doing so.

The Tournament of Power is largely just one big, perpetual fight scene. I strongly disliked it in the anime because it went on for 35 episodes (and to be clear, I'm ignoring all the episodes that were leading up to the tournament, only counting from where everyone arrived in the null world to fight). A typical anime episode adapting a 17 page manga uses 2.5-3 chapters. Dragonball Super manga comes out to about 45 pages every month, or the equivalent of 2.6 chapters of said 17-page manga. If the Super manga was adapted into an anime at the aforementioned 1 chapter:1 episode ratio, it would be 9 episodes long.

That is proper pacing, and remedies the problem inherent in the arc—that of it just being a lengthy fight. It keeps things brisk, characters get to be characters and it's impactful from start to finish instead of long slogs of people firing ki blasts, stopping to talk and legnthy cutaways to the peanut gallery.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:06 am

Grimlock wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:You didn't fix anything.
Pretty sure I did.
I'm not entirely convinced that you have an absolute grasp of what constitutes for a plot, but this isn't a thread to have that discussion, so I'll just leave it at that.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:08 am

TKA wrote:The Tournament of Power is largely just one big, perpetual fight scene. I strongly disliked it in the anime because it went on for 35 episodes (and to be clear, I'm ignoring all the episodes that were leading up to the tournament, only counting from where everyone arrived in the null world to fight). A typical anime episode adapting a 17 page manga uses 2.5-3 chapters. Dragonball Super manga comes out to about 45 pages every month, or the equivalent of 2.6 chapters of said 17-page manga. If the Super manga was adapted into an anime at the aforementioned 1 chapter:1 episode ratio, it would be 9 episodes long.

That is proper pacing, and remedies the problem inherent in the arc—that of it just being a lengthy fight. It keeps things brisk, characters get to be characters and it's impactful from start to finish instead of long slogs of people firing ki blasts, stopping to talk and legnthy cutaways to the peanut gallery.
Universe Survival saga is just one big, perpetual fight scene without story/plot indeed, and the same goes to Universe 6 saga. Pretty sure I've seen games with a proper story other than "just one big fight".

~ War of the Dinobots ~

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:13 am

Bergamo wrote:There are some preliminary fighters that were a bit important like Krillin's Bullies, King Chappa, and Yajirobe, and then there were fighters like Panputto who were even less memorable than some of the preliminary fighters. No character is owed any type of performance no matter the quantity they occur in, but you have to consider the pacing of the story. If every fighter got their own chapter like Hit, then the ToP would go for 6+ years. Some fighters will get short character moments like Obuni, and others will get nothing, and that's okay.
Yes, that's okay but there's a middle ground between giving them nothing and focusing on everyone. There's a reason most people weren't pleased with how Toyotarou dealt with most of the fighters, even when they gave him a pass because it was thought he had to rush to get to Broli.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:30 am

alakazam^ wrote:
Bergamo wrote:There are some preliminary fighters that were a bit important like Krillin's Bullies, King Chappa, and Yajirobe, and then there were fighters like Panputto who were even less memorable than some of the preliminary fighters. No character is owed any type of performance no matter the quantity they occur in, but you have to consider the pacing of the story. If every fighter got their own chapter like Hit, then the ToP would go for 6+ years. Some fighters will get short character moments like Obuni, and others will get nothing, and that's okay.
Yes, that's okay but there's a middle ground between giving them nothing and focusing on everyone. There's a reason most people weren't pleased with how Toyotarou dealt with most of the fighters, even when they gave him a pass because it was thought he had to rush to get to Broli.
I don't know if, "most people," really do think that. I think that Toyotaro did fine with his utilization of characters, although I do admit he shafted some characters that were obviously intended to do something.