"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bergamo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:28 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Perhaps the former Kaioshin's caught him, which is why Daikaioh is here? They were all strong enough to kill Freeza in a single blow before he came back in Super, and most likely would have given everyone trouble had the villains after not been dependant on regeneration.

For all we know these guys may have taken ALL the kais to take down, and thus, been at least around god/blue level
If it took all of the Kais, then that would make him at best SS2 level. Remember that Buu is SS3 level and he mercilessly beat the 5 Kais.
I dont know if I'd agree completely. The anime filler makes t quite apparent Buu only became a serious threat to them aftr he absorbed their strongest member, becoming huge buu. After that he turned into fat buu and becomes tamer. Huge Buu was stronger than Super Bu and Kid Buu as proved by comments from Goku and Vegeta, who then proceed to struggle against a lesser for. Goku as a super saiyan 3 and Vegeta as a super saiyan 2 struggling makes it look likely a strong enough foe to need all the kai's at once means they would need to be stronger than the kid buu fight versions of Goku and Vegeta , or have to have something so utterly overpowered that he cant be beaten by raw strength alone.

makes me kind of wish this was Majin Ozotto, using his BS shapeshifting to copy enemy strength but say he can only do it one person at a time and thus loses when he's ganged up on

Id also like to point out Majin Buu was hacked into pieces by Daikaioh and continuously recieved serious injuries in on screen fights he only survives because of his regeneration. He wins a lot of his fights not because of raw power, but because he can BS his way out of dying and just absorb people the moment he is torn to ribbons. He's literally everything I despise about this kind of a villain.

Other than the anime stuff though, we dont see anything in the manga as far as I recall, so its hard to say
Well in the manga Kid Buu is implied to be stronger than or equal to Steroids Buu.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:16 am

prince212 wrote:
theTUN wrote:I'm intrigued, but honestly I'm just expecting this to be the manga's equivalent of the Copy Vegeta mini-arc.
Was it stated to be a mini-arc ?
That's how I've heard people refer to it.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:28 am

theTUN wrote: That's how I've heard people refer to it.
I'm pretty sure those claims are unsubstantiated. Other than the name, we know almost nothing about the new arc.

Even based on what little information we have, I'd hardly liken it to the Copy Vegeta arc in triviality if there's supposedly some kind of connection to Dai Kaioshin.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:11 am

Bergamo wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: If it took all of the Kais, then that would make him at best SS2 level. Remember that Buu is SS3 level and he mercilessly beat the 5 Kais.
I dont know if I'd agree completely. The anime filler makes t quite apparent Buu only became a serious threat to them aftr he absorbed their strongest member, becoming huge buu. After that he turned into fat buu and becomes tamer. Huge Buu was stronger than Super Bu and Kid Buu as proved by comments from Goku and Vegeta, who then proceed to struggle against a lesser for. Goku as a super saiyan 3 and Vegeta as a super saiyan 2 struggling makes it look likely a strong enough foe to need all the kai's at once means they would need to be stronger than the kid buu fight versions of Goku and Vegeta , or have to have something so utterly overpowered that he cant be beaten by raw strength alone.

makes me kind of wish this was Majin Ozotto, using his BS shapeshifting to copy enemy strength but say he can only do it one person at a time and thus loses when he's ganged up on

Id also like to point out Majin Buu was hacked into pieces by Daikaioh and continuously recieved serious injuries in on screen fights he only survives because of his regeneration. He wins a lot of his fights not because of raw power, but because he can BS his way out of dying and just absorb people the moment he is torn to ribbons. He's literally everything I despise about this kind of a villain.

Other than the anime stuff though, we dont see anything in the manga as far as I recall, so its hard to say
Well in the manga Kid Buu is implied to be stronger than or equal to Steroids Buu.
Id like a link to this because Kid Buu was stated to have gotten stronger from turning into Steroids Buu. Kid Buu isn't his strongest form, just his most unpredictable due to the lack of restraint or sanity the other forms gave him due to absorbing people.

Even still, All that does is show that if it needed all the Kai's to take an enemy and Kid Buu beat them in succession, a Buu who was Super Saiyan 3 Goku and ss2 Vegeta level at the same time, plus a spirit bomb, I'd imagine this other person would be on a similar level.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:50 am

WittyUsername wrote:but it also had Kale eliminate a good chunk of fighters within a single chapter, which just comes across as laziness.
It's only "lazy" if you come into the tournament with expectations set up from the anime. The manga never once pretended the other universes are important. Their only purpose was to show off why Universes 6, 7 and 11 were so special. This is pretty basic as far as storytelling tropes go. Extras exist to show why your main cast is extraordinary.
The earlier assumption was that the reason the manga version of the Tournament of Power went by so quickly was because Toyatoro was in a hurry to get to Broly, but since that’s apparently not the case, it just makes it even more difficult to give it a pass.
The assumption from me was that it was just well-paced storytelling. Like I said previously, if this were adapted into an anime, it would only be about 10 episodes. That's the ideal length for an arc with a premise like this.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

GokuDragonBall

Post by GokuDragonBall » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:51 am

So a French website leaked the whole chapter in japanese thanks to another fan who received the next issue of V-jump.
https://www.db-z.com/dragon-ball-super- ... 2-complet/

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:59 am

GokuDragonBall wrote:So a French website leaked the whole chapter in japanese thanks to another fan who received the next issue of V-jump.
https://www.db-z.com/dragon-ball-super- ... 2-complet/
Oh wow, that's awesome. A like how toyotaro made the ending simple and logical. But I'm really excited for the newvpatrol arc, seems pretty interesting.
Honestly, this new arc is going to make Toyotaro's Manga Great Again!

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:40 am

Goku and Vegeta as they are now, getting taken out by a simple shotgun (even if it is a paralyzing move or a special type poison) is just laughable.

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:46 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:Goku and Vegeta as they are now, getting taken out by a simple shotgun (even if it is a paralyzing move or a special type poison) is just laughable.
Not really, goku and vegeta aren't immunable gods like superman is.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:07 am

I'd rather cooler than bojack because it'd help canonize xenoverse for me. All movie villians are not referenced as canon whereas they implied cooler could be.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:07 am

Someone (french dude) translated some parts of this new chapter after the tournament of power :
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:19 am

I can finally say for sure that ToP is a lot better in manga (as pretty much all the arcs were). Even Jiren's defeat was so much better than in anime.
I can't say much about new arc, it doesn't seem to be interesting at all for now. Let's see what future brings.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:29 am

My thoughts on the new info.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:06 am

New arc sounds interesting but if it's also the next anime arc then... we're still stuck in the 10-year gap? For heaven's sake...

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:14 am

The ToP ending was kinda meh and pretty quick. I expected more pages out of it. I am fine with the Broly movie being skipped, cause 4 or more chapters of that would bring us nothing we don't already know. New arc looks interesting, but lets wait and see how will it be executed. I hope it's not just a 2 or 3 chapter filler.

overall i am pretty disappointed with the ToP arc in the manga and it was the weakest one for me. idk, id give it a 4.5/10. I don't have a rating for the Beerus arc, cause it was too quick. U6 gets a 6 and Trunks gets an 8. I feel similar with the anime, even tho I think the Trunks arc was a little weaker there. Oh, and RoF gets a 2.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 am

Looking at those pages with Goku and Vegeta training, it confirms what I thought Toyotaro would do - After the tournament was over, outside of that intense moment, Goku couldn't use UI again.

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:17 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:I can finally say for sure that ToP is a lot better in manga (as pretty much all the arcs were). Even Jiren's defeat was so much better than in anime.
I can't say much about new arc, it doesn't seem to be interesting at all for now. Let's see what future brings.
The BoG arc in the anime was far better then whatever excuse of an arc it was in the manga, and I did enjoy the Universe 6 arc more in the anime then in the manga. But for all the other arcs, excluding RoF, I agree. Though, the ToP arc in the manga was very disappointing. But I'm happy it's done and was rapped up very quickly. I'm looking forward to this arc, since finally toyotaro gets to put out new stuff, hopefully toei adapts his work when they come back.
IM21 wrote:
I agree with all of those (rate BoG arc more of a 5) but I think you rated the top manga too low. I have for one been saying toyotaro really dropped the ball these last chapters in the ToP, but his recruitment arc for the ToP was awesome, plus the ToP did produce some great chapters like 33,34,37 and I also enjoyed 35,36 and 38. And the only thing hindering these last chapters was the poor story telling and atrocious power scaling and lack of creativity. But the art was some of the best he's drawn in those chapters of 39-42, the characterization was amazing as well...plus it had blood which is always a little surplus. Overall, I give this 7.5. You forgot the goku black arc in the anime, and universe 6 arc for both mediums BTW. For me:
Goku black arc - 5.5/10
goku black arc (manga) - 8/10
Universe 6 arc (anime) - 7/10
universe 6 arc (manga) - 6.5/10
Last edited by Son-Kakaroto on Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:21 am

Oh, interesting that Gicchin and Belmod used to be best friends. I find it funny how Belmod hated Gicchin's way of thinking so much that he became a GoD as well lol. Explains why he knows Jiren so well. Also nice that he still comforted Jiren in the end. I've grown to like Belmod more thanks to these moments.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:22 am

Son-Kakaroto wrote:The BoG arc in the anime was far better then whatever excuse of an arc it was in the manga, and I did enjoy the Universe 6 arc more in the anime then in the manga. But for all the other arcs, excluding RoF, I agree. Though, the ToP arc in the manga was very disappointing. But I'm happy it's done and was rapped up very quickly. I'm looking forward to this arc, since finally toyotaro gets to put out new stuff, hopefully toei adapts his work when they come back.
I actually enjoyed the BoGs arc in the manga more. It does assume the reader already watched the movie, but it adds quite a few scenes tying it into the upcoming Champa arc and even leading into RoF (by making it so Champa was the one who destroyed some of the strongest commanders of the remnants of Freeza's forces).

The one arc I ended up liking more in the anime than the manga was the ToP. The manga had a better exhibition match and Jiren, and I liked the idea behind tying UI to Goku's entire history, but everything else, including the UI battles themselves, ended up with better execution in the anime.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:23 am

I'm glad they skipped Broly's arc, it's basically
a movie is more than enough.

This new arc looks interesting, can't wait to learn more about it.
Last edited by BrolyKale on Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu