"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7694
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:50 am

Man, what the F*** I just read? Like many said before, the reason why Toyotaro was being so rushed with this arc it was because he wanted to get into Broly as fast as possible, but no! He skipped that arc to introduce a new one!

Although I think it's nice for the manga to have an original content, it irks me how ToP was nothing but a schedule for Toyotaro, something that he had to do, even though not willing much, to finally please his fetish of being ahead of the anime for once! He knows of course than when Super comes back it will (unfortunately) retell the events of Broly movie and not get straight to this Galactic whatever thing.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cetra » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:51 am

BrolyKale wrote:
Cetra wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

Classic Spongebob is pretty good. :mrgreen:

I like that new Brolli isn't like old Brolli though. I like that he and Gokû could be friends.
I think he could be friends with him even WITH a touch of old Broly. That is what I was missing in his LSSJ form in this new movie, as that wild not so un-saiyan-like sadistic enjoying side (apparently) is completely gone.
I agree. The old Broly could be friends with Goku if only he managed to control himself.
I mean, he DID control himself in his first movie. He just needed to be less of an ass. Like Gohan SSJ2.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:09 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by shadowfox87 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:54 am

Well the translations are out of the new chapter 42. I gotta say that I loved that Freeza and #17 planned the entire situation with #17 hiding because nobody can sense his ki. This also makes a bit sense of Grand Priest, who in the anime and manga, announced that #17 was gone. It's also awesome that #17 acknowledged that he couldn't blow himself even if he wanted to since he didn't have the bomb inside of him. In all, it wasn't probably as exciting as the anime with Goku and Freeza teaming up, but I also liked this version because it provided more logical explanations for what happened.

The new arc looks exciting. I predicted correctly that the Dai Kaioshin was shown as a flashback who sealed this unknown prisoner millions of years ago. Now, the Galactic Patrol seeks him out again to get his help to seal the prisoner. Those anesthesia guns were pretty funny. If they had these guns all along, why didn't they use it against Freeza when he was the emperor of the universe? I always thought that the reason the Galactic Patrol never faced Freeza was because he was out of their league. Not sure why Jaco didn't have one or use it during the RoF arc. Bulma should definitely get one.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7935
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:55 am

Kinokima wrote:
Shaddy wrote:So much for that whole "they're rushing the ToP because of Broly" defense, huh? This is why we don't make excuses for poor work.
If the TOP had been as long as the anime it could have gone on for over a year. If anyone wants to see the exact same story with minor changes for that long I just don’t understand why.

Personally I think they should have skipped the TOP arc all together in the manga but making it as short as possible was the next best thing they could have done.

Again we are comparing a weekly anime with a monthly manga. The anime just had more time and a lot of what we got in the anime could have been cut in my opinion.
There is a different between telling the same story as the anime, and rushing it to the point that it feels less like a story and more like an outline. I'm not sure why when everyone points out the rush pace of the manga the default response is to mention the anime.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:56 am

Cetra wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
Cetra wrote:
I think he could be friends with him even WITH a touch of old Broly. That is what I was missing in his LSSJ form in this new movie, as that wild not so un-saiyan-like sadistic enjoying side (apparently) is completely gone.
I agree. The old Broly could be friends with Goku if only he managed to control himself.
I mean, he DID control himself in his first movie. He just needed to be less of an ass. Like Gohan SSJ2.
I was talking about the second movie, but that's true, in the first movie Broly just needed a reason to act kind and he had none.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

User avatar
IM21
Banned
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Hell

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by IM21 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:01 am

well, just like in the anime, Goku can't go UI after the ToP. This form was really just for selling toys.

Kinokima
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kinokima » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:04 am

HeroR wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Shaddy wrote:So much for that whole "they're rushing the ToP because of Broly" defense, huh? This is why we don't make excuses for poor work.
If the TOP had been as long as the anime it could have gone on for over a year. If anyone wants to see the exact same story with minor changes for that long I just don’t understand why.

Personally I think they should have skipped the TOP arc all together in the manga but making it as short as possible was the next best thing they could have done.

Again we are comparing a weekly anime with a monthly manga. The anime just had more time and a lot of what we got in the anime could have been cut in my opinion.
There is a different between telling the same story as the anime, and rushing it to the point that it feels less like a story and more like an outline. I'm not sure why when everyone points out the rush pace of the manga the default response is to mention the anime.

Because to make the manga as long as the anime you have to make the manga twice as long. The manga is monthly. The anime is weekly. That means if the manga had as much stuff and was dragged out as the anime it could have gone on for years.


You think I am comparing the manga to the anime. There were things I liked about both but overall I didn’t like the arc in either. Yes the manga was way too rushed in comparison to the anime but the anime was the opposite way too drawn out with too much pointless stuff. And unlike most people I didn’t like the anime ending so that makes the dragged out arc even worse for me (actually think even though it was rushed the manga ending was better although still not anything great)


Someone just pointed out between the anime & manga the TOP arc lasted 22 months. Thank god it’s finally over.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7935
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:05 am

Cursemark505 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Dang, so it does take place after the Broli arc. At the very least, I hope this means the Broli arc will be recreated in the next series. I'm also hoping looking forward to seeing how this arc pans out since it'll come out before any animated adaption.
I still don't understand why everybody still thinks the anime will do a retelling or why anybody would want it.

Super had to do retellings of BoG & RoF because they weren't a part of Super's continuity and they had to change/add stuff. The broly film is already a part of Super's continuity. What would be the point of even doing the movie in the first place if they were just going to redo it again immediately after, only with inferior animation and dragged out pacing?
That wasn't the reason. The reason why was because Toriyama wanted everyone to be caught if they didn't watch the movies since DVDs in Japan are a novelty. Not because 'the movies were Dragon Ball Z'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
TheSaiyanGod
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1524
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:09 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:08 am

Noah wrote:Man, what the F*** I just read? Like many said before, the reason why Toyotaro was being so rushed with this arc it was because he wanted to get into Broly as fast as possible, but no! He skipped that arc to introduce a new one!

Although I think it's nice for the manga to have an original content, it irks me how ToP was nothing but a schedule for Toyotaro, something that he had to do, even though not willing much, to finally please his fetish of being ahead of the anime for once! He knows of course than when Super comes back it will (unfortunately) retell the events of Broly movie and not get straight to this Galactic whatever thing.
I think it is very strange to say that making such an important decision as to accelerate the development of a saga written by Toriyama only for supposed personal desires comp "being ahead of the anime" is one of Toyotaro's responsibility. I believe he is more of an employee who follows orders than someone to decide these things

Particularly, I would like to see an adaptation of the film in the manga, but if it is for Toyotaro to spend months telling something we already know, then it is better to continue with a new saga itself (maybe some differences would be cool)

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:35 am

Really appreciated how 17's quirks were properly used to give U7 the win. Also love his remark of not letting the Zenos getting their way, I've always hated the little pipsqueaks too.

This was a satisfying ending to the ToP. I like Belmod more too, and it explains why he knows Jiren so well.

Even more interesting is the fact that the DBs cannot resurrect those killed by demons. I'm getting Makaishin vibes here and I love it. Also surprised but nice that he showed Jiya here. Toyotarou really knows his shit.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:36 am

IM21 wrote:well, just like in the anime, Goku can't go UI after the ToP. This form was really just for selling toys.
OR, how about this?

They dont want it to be the next SSB where Goku uses the form for everything but instead want to keep it special.

Which, imo, is the best decision they’ve made for a transformation in a while.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:40 am

Rakurai wrote:Really appreciated how 17's quirks were properly used to give U7 the win. Also love his remark of not letting the Zenos getting their way, I've always hated the little pipsqueaks too.

This was a satisfying ending to the ToP. I like Belmod more too, and it explains why he knows Jiren so well.

Even more interesting is the fact that the DBs cannot resurrect those killed by demons. I'm getting Makaishin vibes here and I love it. Also surprised but nice that he showed Jiya here. Toyotarou really knows his shit.
Thats not Jiya
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

superfan2024
Regular
Posts: 660
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:40 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
IM21 wrote:well, just like in the anime, Goku can't go UI after the ToP. This form was really just for selling toys.
OR, how about this?

They dont want it to be the next SSB where Goku uses the form for everything but instead want to keep it special.

Which, imo, is the best decision they’ve made for a transformation in a while.
I agree completely.

User avatar
LimitbreakerKrillin
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:23 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LimitbreakerKrillin » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:45 am

I'm kinda bummed out that we wont get a manga adaption of Toriyama's 3 hour long Broly movie script

GokuDragonBall
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by GokuDragonBall » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:46 am

So impatient to see that Jaco and the Galactic Patrol are being explored more in this arc and also for Buu to become (hopefully) relevant again. I also love detective-type stories so it will be interesting to see to he handle this mystery in the manga. I imagine there will be an anime version of this arc after they do the Broly adaptation.

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:56 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Thats not Jiya
Really? I thought Cipher said he was. I don't know what Jiya looks like so I assumed he just was.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1033
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 am
Location: Destiny Islands

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:57 am

I’m actually really excited by this arc. I can’t wait to see where it’s actually going to go. Finally, something in Super that adknowledges the previous Kaioshin, and we might actually get some lore surrounding the Kaioshin too. Colour me interested.

User avatar
shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:09 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by shadowfox87 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:05 pm

LimitbreakerKrillin wrote:I'm kinda bummed out that we wont get a manga adaption of Toriyama's 3 hour long Broly movie script
I am too but we'll probably get the 3-hour version in the anime. Though it seems to me that the movie is consistent with the manga so if the manga goes by the movie, then it can skip it and go straight to the next arc.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Lukmendes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Bergamo wrote:Well in the manga Kid Buu is implied to be stronger than or equal to Steroids Buu.
How so? As far as I remember, Goku and Vegeta commented on buff Boo being really strong, but once he becomes smaller they become confident they can take him on.
IM21 wrote:17's ''sacrifice'' was a plan by him and Frieza. Ok, that's what I like more here than in the anime.
Man, 17 and Freeza working together is weirdly enough the best thing of ToP manga... Did they explain if other characters in the audience noticed it too? Specificaly 18, since she didn't react to 17 self destructing.
Rakurai wrote:Really appreciated how 17's quirks were properly used to give U7 the win. Also love his remark of not letting the Zenos getting their way, I've always hated the little pipsqueaks too.
He really says something like that? That's kinda awesome, and suicidal lol.
Even more interesting is the fact that the DBs cannot resurrect those killed by demons. I'm getting Makaishin vibes here and I love it. Also surprised but nice that he showed Jiya here. Toyotarou really knows his shit.
The dragon balls were able to resurrect those killed by King Piccolo and his sons though, so that's smelling like a dumb retcon.

Anyways, of this new arc, it's weird that galactic patrolmen know about the kaioshin so well, or that they managed to use that gun on Goku and Vegeta, I don't actualy mind some sedative working on them, just that they were dumb enough to let their guards down that much... Couldn't the guy just explain himself instead? Lol

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7935
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:16 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
IM21 wrote:well, just like in the anime, Goku can't go UI after the ToP. This form was really just for selling toys.
OR, how about this?

They dont want it to be the next SSB where Goku uses the form for everything but instead want to keep it special.

Which, imo, is the best decision they’ve made for a transformation in a while.
More like too overpowered to used on a regular basics like fusion. Forms remaining 'special' isn't really a thing since Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is super popular and beloved to the point that they can't stop making toys of it.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Post Reply