"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6615
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:24 pm

So there will be a new Super arc in the manga that's not Broly? Do we know anything about it?

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:31 pm

People really complaining about stun guns?

Let's not forget the fact that Gero, a human scientist, turned a couple of average humans to SSJ level warriors. Created a cell organism that could reach strength far beyond that just by absorbing said warriors.

A stun gun that can paralyze Goku & Vegeta, and created by a technologically advanced galactic race, is well within the realm of possibility in this universe.

Only power level enthusiasts who keep personal tier headcanons will have an issue with details like these.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzk1999 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:03 pm

Rakurai wrote:People really complaining about stun guns?

Let's not forget the fact that Gero, a human scientist, turned a couple of average humans to SSJ level warriors. Created a cell organism that could reach strength far beyond that just by absorbing said warriors.

A stun gun that can paralyze Goku & Vegeta, and created by a technologically advanced galactic race, is well within the realm of possibility in this universe.

Only power level enthusiasts who keep personal tier headcanons will have an issue with details like these.
You say that as though people haven’t had a problem with the bolded, which, from what I remember, a crap ton of people do.
Until the Battle is Won.

- WEST POINT, 2021

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:14 pm

sangofe wrote:So there will be a new Super arc in the manga that's not Broly? Do we know anything about it?
We know its called the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc. And the last 12 pages of the manga are the introduction of the arc. And it starts with Goku
.

Herms translated the details of the 12 pages.

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1064152482094317568
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1670
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote: You say that as though people haven’t had a problem with the bolded, which, from what I remember, a crap ton of people do.
From a story that is largely based on martial arts intersecting with technology, I find it funny that someone would accept a person getting physically strong enough to destroy a planet, but consider it too much of a stretch to invent technology that could destroy a planet.

Even so, everyone has their own preferences. In that case, I'd wonder why someone would be that put off by Dr. Gero's creations, but still be around long enough to talk about Super.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzk1999 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:41 pm

batistabus wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote: You say that as though people haven’t had a problem with the bolded, which, from what I remember, a crap ton of people do.
From a story that is largely based on martial arts intersecting with technology, I find it funny that someone would accept a person getting physically strong enough to destroy a planet, but consider it too much of a stretch to invent technology that could destroy a planet.

Even so, everyone has their own preferences. In that case, I'd wonder why someone would be that put off by Dr. Gero's creations, but still be around long enough to talk about Super.
It’s not the destroying a planet part some people have a problem with, it’s the fact that he made them so powerful based only on a certain point of time in the series (I.e the saiyan arc) that people have a problem with.

So yeah, for some people, that specific thing would be a bit of a stretch
Until the Battle is Won.

- WEST POINT, 2021

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by theTUN » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:10 pm

If Goku post-Namek is vulnerable to heart disease, I wouldn't say it's unreasonable for him to be affected by anesthesia.

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by theTUN » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:11 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
theTUN wrote: That's how I've heard people refer to it.
I'm pretty sure those claims are unsubstantiated. Other than the name, we know almost nothing about the new arc.

Even based on what little information we have, I'd hardly liken it to the Copy Vegeta arc in triviality if there's supposedly some kind of connection to Dai Kaioshin.
I'm referring to the Copy Vegeta arc, as in, I've heard people refer to it as a mini-arc. I don't have any evidence that this new arc will be short as well, call it a hunch.

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1670
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:23 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:It’s not the destroying a planet part some people have a problem with, it’s the fact that he made them so powerful based only on a certain point of time in the series (I.e the saiyan arc) that people have a problem with.
The progression of technology and the progression of martial arts are not limited by each other. Gero was gauging their strength and applying predictive analysts to determine how strong he would need to make his creations. Just because he can try and predict where they'll be at a certain point, that doesn't mean that's the limit of what he's able to invent. Even so, he got it wrong when it came to No. 19 and No. 20. He thought No. 16, 17, and 18 would be more than necessary. Cell was created by an artificial intelligence from post-Namek arc cells.

Dragon Ball features impressive bodies and impressive minds. The focus is obviously on the martial aspect, but the technological aspect has remained relevant. That's why Bulma has continued to be useful since the beginning.

Anyway, this is off topic, so that's the last I'll say about it.

User avatar
Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:24 pm

Power levels aren't gonna give you immunity to technology that affects the nervous system. Goku and Vegeta aren't above getting caught off-guard or even outsped by an elite patrolman in their base forms.

No idea why this needs to be said.

Lukmendes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:Power levels aren't gonna give you immunity to technology that affects the nervous system. Goku and Vegeta aren't above getting caught off-guard or even outsped by an elite patrolman in their base forms.

No idea why this needs to be said.
The problem I have with that guy is that it just ignores how Goku and Vegeta have been training to react better, and they just get caught like that off guard, and that's specialy bad for Vegeta since he saw Goku being knocked down and he was still shocked long enough to get shot too, instead of, y'know, being ready for whatever that guy's gonna try, makes those so called fighting geniuses look like amateurs.

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 3136
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:47 pm

ssj3kakarot wrote:I’m a little annoyed that Goku and Vegeta we’re paralyzed by a freaking pistol.

......what really annoys me is that they were speed blitz.

Now I don’t know who this bowl-cut powder puff is, but come on!

Just garbage.
Well lets keep every chapter in context of Dragonball Super's story shall we...
Supposedly it was a top level patrolman who blitzed Vegeta and Kakarot. That means the guy is possibly a strong future opponent...
Also, no matter how strong one is, being caught off guard can get you wrecked, Whis stated so in RoF.

If the DB fandom would be more in tuned with the narrative instead of number stacking it wouldn't have these troubles.

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8834
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:26 pm

Miracles wrote:If the DB fandom would be more in tuned with the narrative instead of number stacking it wouldn't have these troubles.
Phrased it better than I could have, but this, so much this.

I haven't read the new chapter myself yet, but I'm already excited to see where this new arc goes. It's opening premise already seems different from things we've had before, so that alone has me intrigued.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6615
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:39 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
sangofe wrote:So there will be a new Super arc in the manga that's not Broly? Do we know anything about it?
We know its called the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc. And the last 12 pages of the manga are the introduction of the arc. And it starts with Goku
.

Herms translated the details of the 12 pages.

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1064152482094317568
So probably something to do with Jaco?

User avatar
prince212
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: wild west

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by prince212 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Rakurai wrote:
prince212 wrote: I read somewhere that may be bonus chapter about broly for the Saiko jump early in December ?


Don't know anything about a bonus chapter tho.

.
Like I month ago was said to be a mini manga about broly on December 1st , don’t know if that keeps on going or was fake

https://mobile.twitter.com/DBSChronicle ... 3479370752
https://www.db-z.com/dragon-ball-super- ... a-special/
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 3136
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Miracles wrote:If the DB fandom would be more in tuned with the narrative instead of number stacking it wouldn't have these troubles.
Phrased it better than I could have, but this, so much this.

I haven't read the new chapter myself yet, but I'm already excited to see where this new arc goes. It's opening premise already seems different from things we've had before, so that alone has me intrigued.
Yeah, talking about a Kaioshin again lets us explore deeper into the universe, especially in the god realm hierarchy even more.
Last edited by Miracles on Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1642
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu/East District

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:Power levels aren't gonna give you immunity to technology that affects the nervous system. Goku and Vegeta aren't above getting caught off-guard or even outsped by an elite patrolman in their base forms.

No idea why this needs to be said.
Because people don't understand that power scaling is only destructive output and not an all around stat for the characters at all times, ignoring that characters have to power up in order to raise their strength. Still, people tend to take their own calculations as fact, and argue as if what they come to is what their base strengths are at all times. Thus getting angry. Despite it just being in base.

Though they could have just specified that the technology was designed for characters like Goku & Vegeta or some Ki nullifying taser or something.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:07 pm

The manga makes it seem like Gitchen and Vermoud had the same kind of relationship as Jiren if he valued teamwork and Toppo.

It’s just an assumption but to me, it seems as though Vermoud and Gitchen were also around the same power too. Which would explain why the training Jiren got from Gitchen made him so strong.

So that also means the Demon who killed Gitchen and defeated Jiren AND his comrades is pretty powerful. And the fact that in neither the manga nor the anime they’ve told us what happened to the evil doer, means that there is always the chance we could have the Demon as a future antagonist
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 3136
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:08 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:The manga makes it seem like Gitchen and Vermoud had the same kind of relationship as Jiren if he valued teamwork and Toppo.

It’s just an assumption but to me, it seems as though Vermoud and Gitchen were also around the same power too. Which would explain why the training Jiren got from Gitchen made him so strong.

So that also means the Demon who killed Gitchen and defeated Jiren AND his comrades is pretty powerful. And the fact that in neither the manga nor the anime they’ve told us what happened to the evil doer, means that there is always the chance we could have the Demon as a future antagonist
Dabura's infamous "Demon realm" arc incoming...

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Miracles wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:The manga makes it seem like Gitchen and Vermoud had the same kind of relationship as Jiren if he valued teamwork and Toppo.

It’s just an assumption but to me, it seems as though Vermoud and Gitchen were also around the same power too. Which would explain why the training Jiren got from Gitchen made him so strong.

So that also means the Demon who killed Gitchen and defeated Jiren AND his comrades is pretty powerful. And the fact that in neither the manga nor the anime they’ve told us what happened to the evil doer, means that there is always the chance we could have the Demon as a future antagonist
Dabura's infamous "Demon realm" arc incoming...
Technically every universe should have a demon realm. Thats where demons live and where evil hearted entities are sent and sealed if not killed. Sure, Dabura could be one of the strongest demons in U7’s demon realm but its completely possible the demons are much stronger or weaker in other Universes.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Post Reply