"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:14 pm

Noah wrote:
batistabus wrote:The design of the escaped prisoner has been revealed on the V-Jump website.
How are we supposed to take this seriously? This guy looks like a freaking HOBO! Now they're going to pretend that a homeless is somehow strong as Jiren and Broly? Toyotaro is LOST!
This is what bugs me about most DB fans is that they want every new bad guy to be some big and buff up character. You don't need a character to be big and buff up like Broli and Jiren to be powerful. That's what I hated the most about the old DBZ movies and GT is that a lot of characters were just big and buff up characters that we didn't give us anything special. I remember when Beerus was announced and people here hated his design. People thought he was too thin and didn't think he would be powerful enough to be a threat to Goku. Now Beerus has become apart of the franchise and has a big fanbase.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Noah wrote:
batistabus wrote:The design of the escaped prisoner has been revealed on the V-Jump website.
How are we supposed to take this seriously? This guy looks like a freaking HOBO! Now they're going to pretend that a homeless is somehow strong as Jiren and Broly? Toyotaro is LOST!
This is what bugs me about most DB fans is that they want every new bad guy to be some big and buff up character. You don't need a character to be big and buff up like Broli and Jiren to be powerful. That's what I hated the most about the old DBZ movies and GT is that a lot of characters were just big and buff up characters that we didn't give us anything special. I remember when Beerus was announced and people here hated his design. People thought he was too thin and didn't think he would be powerful enough to be a threat to Goku. Now Beerus has become apart of the franchise and has a big fanbase.
Idk why you are throwing GT and dbz movies under the bus, their villians all were unique and had some awesome designs.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:53 pm

BrolySSJL wrote:
Tai Lung wrote:well zamasu and black were created by toriyama although others said the opposite in this case may then reveal more of this new character in later interviews
A lot of Black arc were ideas of Toyo.
In interviews with Toriyama. Toyo's idea was to bring back Vegito and Vegeta learning SSG but zamasu and black were created by toriyama he said it himself

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Noah wrote:
Its not that people want a buff guy all the time.

Its that people want more original an unique designs. I mean, i kinda agree. I wish we would stop getting characters that look like animals exclusive to Earth. People want more unique designs like Janemba, Piccolo, Buu, etc. The people dont have to be buff. Just make them more unique. And anthropomorphic animals are not that unique.

That said, i still enjoy this prisoner’s goat design
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:03 pm

After the actual English version came out, I mostly knew what happened already but there were a few tidbits I wasn't aware of that I found interesting:

-When they made the comment about Jiren's master not being able to be revived, it wasnt through the Dragon Balls like people had said, it was revival through the Angel's power that they were referring to.
-I really enjoyed the conversation with Belmod and Jiren at the end, and I just like how we actually get to hear Jiren call the guy his "master" where we didnt in the anime. You could sense the feelings he had for his deceased master, and I liked how Belmod was prying the information out of the shell that is Jiren.
-Freeza ripped Goku for being a brawler and not strategizing.
-Daishinkan tells Kaioshin that our Universe moved up in the rankings at the end.
-Vegeta calls 17 "our Universe's savior." I thought the line was a little out of character for Vegeta, I was not a fan of it.
-Merus says "Goku and Vegeta? THE Goku and Vegeta?" I didnt know he had hyped up Goku and Vegeta or were familiar with the names.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:25 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Noah wrote:
I think it is a good design and something completely new. Dragon Ball needs new after Frieza, Goku Black and Broly. People will get over and used to designs unlike power levels.

Jiren is all muscled up but would never be designed by most fans for their fanfiction as he is too plain, not tall enough and not monster like.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:16 pm

Great ending I.m.o .
I have to say that my perception towards JIREN changed totally to the point he’s my favorite character in this T.o.P arc .
After watched the anime it was 17 by far , i really loved him on the screen , may be I’m biased because we knew the outcome. Here in the manga he was smarter and not just a lucky guy saying “ ups I survived my own bomb “ , but I missed more fights with him ,like when he ripped jiren clothes or anizara elimination , those were cool to me .
I liked jiren whereabouts and his brute strength that u.i wasn’t able to put him on his knees, being eliminated just by a well played strategy, but still showing him like the TOP guy . “ they couldn’t put a dent on him”.
My interpretation of Gokû comment about 17 strength is different as many of the ones I read in this forum , he was just referring to how strong guys can appear around and some of them don’t need to much training to have a decent level to be a threat, so they better keep on training hard , the same level is just a humble way to talk I don’t take that as a “fact”.
I don’t think this arc was rushed.
I really dig how ultra instinct was perform.
And hype defines my thoughts about the new arc , is looking good , Merus hasn’t a nice design, I’ll fit better same looking style but a woman I.m.o .
About the goat .. we will see , seems a risky design but I think it’s time to take risks , I hope he’s got awesome abilities and it’s connected to something else than the hunt and the fight
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:16 pm

It's been a hot second since I've last posted on this fourm but I've caught up to the recent chapter. This and the previous chapter were just alright, overall I found Toyo's version TOP to be pretty mediocre. But even though I didn't care much for the manga TOP arc I am interested in this new one. And thank god the prisoner isn't some rehash of Bojack or Cooler like some people were suggesting. Really like the design of what I'm assuming is the main antagonist of the new arc and can't wait to see him in action. I am surprised though that Toyo isn't adapting the Broly movie as I'll admit I did think that was part of the reason why he was rushing through the tournament. But in a way I am glad that we are getting a new arc instead.

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ronin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:38 pm

One of the best chapters in the manga, if you ask me. I think Toyotaro's getting better at showing intensity in fights and having the characters and the environment look more battle-worn. There are at least a couple cringey moments in a lot of the chapters, but this one was solid. However, I don't like Goku and Vegeta's on-going fan service-y bromance. They spend way too much time training together when doing so feels so out of character to me. Goku might not mind it, but I don't think Vegeta would. I also wish they would put more spotlight on some other characters. Like have Gohan and Videl be at Mr. Satan's house when Boo gets kidnapped and maybe have Goten there too. Then it will be Gohan and Goten who get knocked out and taken with Boo instead. Or have more people show up to help Goku and Vegeta. Surely both of them and Boo getting knocked out and kidnapped by some strangers in a spaceship would be alarming news. I just hope fighting a new enemy feels more like a group effort instead of the Goku and Vegeta show again. Before Super, some of the weaker characters played important roles even if they couldn't fight. Hopefully something like that will happen again, if nothing else.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Ronin wrote:One of the best chapters in the manga, if you ask me. I think Toyotaro's getting better at showing intensity in fights and having the characters and the environment look more battle-worn. There are at least a couple cringey moments in a lot of the chapters, but this one was solid. However, I don't like Goku and Vegeta's on-going fan service-y bromance. They spend way too much time training together when doing so feels so out of character to me. Goku might not mind it, but I don't think Vegeta would. I also wish they would put more spotlight on some other characters. Like have Gohan and Videl be at Mr. Satan's house when Boo gets kidnapped and maybe have Goten there too. Then it will be Gohan and Goten who get knocked out and taken with Boo instead. Or have more people show up to help Goku and Vegeta. Surely both of them and Boo getting knocked out and kidnapped by some strangers in a spaceship would be alarming news. I just hope fighting a new enemy feels more like a group effort instead of the Goku and Vegeta show again. Before Super, some of the weaker characters played important roles even if they couldn't fight. Hopefully something like that will happen again, if nothing else.
Agree . At least Satan going to the head quarters of GP will be great . I’m afraid buu is gonna be sleeping all the time , but looks like he is the only one bullet to shine out of the overused vegeta n Gokû ( talking about the main cast ) .. well we have JAco , a guy that i recently start to like after reading his series .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ronin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:25 pm

prince212 wrote:
Ronin wrote:One of the best chapters in the manga, if you ask me. I think Toyotaro's getting better at showing intensity in fights and having the characters and the environment look more battle-worn. There are at least a couple cringey moments in a lot of the chapters, but this one was solid. However, I don't like Goku and Vegeta's on-going fan service-y bromance. They spend way too much time training together when doing so feels so out of character to me. Goku might not mind it, but I don't think Vegeta would. I also wish they would put more spotlight on some other characters. Like have Gohan and Videl be at Mr. Satan's house when Boo gets kidnapped and maybe have Goten there too. Then it will be Gohan and Goten who get knocked out and taken with Boo instead. Or have more people show up to help Goku and Vegeta. Surely both of them and Boo getting knocked out and kidnapped by some strangers in a spaceship would be alarming news. I just hope fighting a new enemy feels more like a group effort instead of the Goku and Vegeta show again. Before Super, some of the weaker characters played important roles even if they couldn't fight. Hopefully something like that will happen again, if nothing else.
Agree . At least Satan going to the head quarters of GP will be great . I’m afraid buu is gonna be sleeping all the time , but looks like he is the only one bullet to shine out of the overused vegeta n Gokû ( talking about the main cast ) .. well we have JAco , a guy that i recently start to like after reading his series .
Mr. Satan going could be pretty funny. They could force him to go because they think he knows how to get Dai Kaioshin out or something. Him going back and forth with Jaco would be great. :lol:

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Ronin wrote:
prince212 wrote:
Mr. Satan going could be pretty funny. They could force him to go because they think he knows how to get Dai Kaioshin out or something. Him going back and forth with Jaco would be great. :lol:
GOODNESS! You've been on this community for 4 years, and only posted 16 COMMENTS!? dam...

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:55 pm

The whole chapter was nothing the anime did better

The ToP just showed that the strongest beings in universe 7 are all live on Earth, if this dude is so powerful why didn't they recruit him? :lol:

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:05 pm

The Finale

I liked:

-The art, especially the 2-page spread.
-Vermoud's role in the story, especially compared to the anime.
-Strategy.
-No. 18 could tell that No. 17 was lying.
-Vegeta saying something surprisingly nice to No. 17.
-The pace.

I've said this before, but Episode 131 is by far my favorite episode of the DBS anime in every single way. The pace was great, the animation and directing were top notch, the music was utilized perfectly (for once), and it was just a lot of fun. I think I like this chapter just as much, but in different ways. I liked how the anime made the tournament Zeno's test on humanity, but I also like that they didn't do that here. I liked the way No. 17, Goku, and Freeza teamed up in the anime, but I liked the strategy we saw here. I think both are excellent endings.

Overall, I think Toyotaro has shown growth in his ability to write and tie things together. I think the premise of the arc was inherently challenging, but I think he should be quite proud of the end result. The ToP isn't my favorite arc in the history of Dragon Ball, but I did have fun with it. It was certainly unique, anyway. That being said, I'm glad we're moving on to the next adventure.

Fukkatsu no B

I'm SO FREAKING GLAD that Broly was "flown down here". A manga adaptation of a film that Toriyama has put a lot of effort into is as needed as an anime retelling. It can only be worse. I read Terez' detailed synopsis of the film on Redit, and I might already be prepared to say it's better than Battle of Gods.

Galactic Patrol Prisoner Arc

I could be wrong, but based on what we've seen so far in terms of character designs and premise, I have a feeling Toyotaro is taking the creative lead with this arc. I'm cautiously optimistic about that! If the following were to happen, things could get quite interesting:

Toriyama works on a new film with as many people from the Broly film as possible. > In the meantime, Toyotaro takes creative control of a new arc that takes place in-universe after the events of the most recent film. Toriyama comes up with a vague premise and a few details, but Toyotaro does the rest. Toriyama continues to closely supervise the manga like he has been doing up to this point. > The film is released around the same that the arc ends. > Toyotaro starts a new arc, and Toriyama gets to work on a new film. > The cycle continues. In the meantime, the anime adapts the manga ONLY.

While I certainly don't want Toriyama less involved in the story of Super, and I don't think Toyotaro is quite ready to take full-reign of the DBS continuity, this is my wildcard prediction. That way we can get Tori's full effort for a theater-level production while still getting some non-DB Heroes content in the meantime. With fewer creative restrictions, Toyotaro can continue to grow as a mangaka. With a solid foundation to work with, the anime can add padding as the directors see fit. Everybody wins.

As for the designs of the new characters themselves, I like them. I don't think they're Toriyama designs (again, I could be wrong), but they look pretty good. Aside from the horns, I think the escaped prisoner looks more like a moose than a goat/ram...just throwing that out there.

I don't really have anything to say about 1/3 of a chapter, but I'm excited to see where this goes! With the Broly film about to release, the DBS manga starting a new arc, and the DB FighterZ scene going strong, it's a good time to be a Dragon Ball fan!

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:14 pm

The Monkey King wrote:The whole chapter was nothing the anime did better

The ToP just showed that the strongest beings in universe 7 are all live on Earth, if this dude is so powerful why didn't they recruit him? :lol:
yea, thats probably cause Shin is not good at knowing his own universe. Broly and Paragus could make the team, but I guess they were not planned when the ToP was starting. Also Tarble is canon to the manga so he could also be in there. Same goes for his opponents Abo and Cado from the DBZ special. So yea, that would make it look like not everyone except Frieza is from Earth.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:30 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Yes, I read Chapter 28. I distinctly remember that in that chapter Zeno(s) where playing chess and then arbitrarily decide to get rid of some of the universes because... reasons. After that decision was made, Zeno(s) then asked Grand Priest what the mortal levels were of the 12 universes, and after Grand Priest gave him the update on where the universes rank from one another and how they are developing, it was then decided how many universes would be wiped out.
And they were about to erase them when Goku appeared, right?

I'm surprised no one mentioned the obvious plot armor in the chapter: So, Geran eliminates Vegeeta and takes his time with Goku for some reason. Not only he can't toss him off the stage despite grabbing him but the no-energy Goku manages to hold him in place for Freeza to attack. Then, Geran deflects the Death Ball with some effort and has the time to breathe hard instead of quickly elbowing Goku off the stage, who is no longer touching him.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:03 am

alakazam^ wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Yes, I read Chapter 28. I distinctly remember that in that chapter Zeno(s) where playing chess and then arbitrarily decide to get rid of some of the universes because... reasons. After that decision was made, Zeno(s) then asked Grand Priest what the mortal levels were of the 12 universes, and after Grand Priest gave him the update on where the universes rank from one another and how they are developing, it was then decided how many universes would be wiped out.
And they were about to erase them when Goku appeared, right?

I'm surprised no one mentioned the obvious plot armor in the chapter: So, Geran eliminates Vegeeta and takes his time with Goku for some reason. Not only he can't toss him off the stage despite grabbing him but the no-energy Goku manages to hold him in place for Freeza to attack. Then, Geran deflects the Death Ball with some effort and has the time to breathe hard instead of quickly elbowing Goku off the stage, who is no longer touching him.
Yeah thats a little suss but you could easily interpret the line as Goku saying he has no strength to win the fight anymore but he'll hold in there as long as he can. He was still resisting Jiren's attack and not like he was getting completely kicked around.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:36 am

nato25 wrote:Yeah thats a little suss but you could easily interpret the line as Goku saying he has no strength to win the fight anymore but he'll hold in there as long as he can. He was still resisting Jiren's attack and not like he was getting completely kicked around.
There's no line like that, though. Vegeeta tells Goku not to hold back and Goku says he'll use all his ki in the attack.

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:29 am

alakazam^ wrote:
nato25 wrote:Yeah thats a little suss but you could easily interpret the line as Goku saying he has no strength to win the fight anymore but he'll hold in there as long as he can. He was still resisting Jiren's attack and not like he was getting completely kicked around.
There's no line like that, though. Vegeeta tells Goku not to hold back and Goku says he'll use all his ki in the attack.
The power scaling was pretty trashy, the writing was good. This is a good example of good writing, but lousy power scailing. It would have made more sense if goku and vegeta were in their mssj blue forms.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:07 am

alakazam^ wrote:
Stop being overly literal if he used all his Ki he'd be dead.

He obviously had a scrap left to wrestle Jiren because that's what happened. It's not several volumes later when the author might have forgotten a previous line of dialogue.. It was right after.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.