"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:21 am

shadowfox87 wrote:
Noah wrote: How are we supposed to take this seriously? This guy looks like a freaking HOBO! Now they're going to pretend that a homeless is somehow strong as Jiren and Broly? Toyotaro is LOST!
You realize that currently, the most powerful being in all 12 universe is Zeno right? Toriyama is known for breaking people's assumptions and expectations. People who seem strong are weak while people who seem weak are strong.
Yeah, but you missed my point... Sheep Man doesn't look weak as Monaka, actually he looks tough! My problem is considering this series is about power creep, this guy to be considered problem enough to both Goku and Vegeta has at least to be strong as Jiren or Broly and that's annoying.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:30 am

Noah wrote:
shadowfox87 wrote:
Noah wrote: How are we supposed to take this seriously? This guy looks like a freaking HOBO! Now they're going to pretend that a homeless is somehow strong as Jiren and Broly? Toyotaro is LOST!
You realize that currently, the most powerful being in all 12 universe is Zeno right? Toriyama is known for breaking people's assumptions and expectations. People who seem strong are weak while people who seem weak are strong.
Yeah, but you missed my point... Sheep Man doesn't look weak as Monaka, actually he looks tough! My problem is considering this series is about power creep, this guy to be considered problem enough to both Goku and Vegeta has at least to be strong as Jiren or Broly and that's annoying.
He could also be into sorcery of sorts that could also be a probelm for goku and vegeta. He may not be strong, but could be powerful.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:52 am

watching people try to judge based on appearances when Kid Buu, Beerus, Champa, Zeno etc are a thing is hilarious.

Goat literally just got out of jail for millions of years in probably unpleasant conditions let him go home and scrub up before we slag off his design

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:03 am

Noah wrote:
shadowfox87 wrote:
They need the help of Grand Supreme Kai to defeat him, so it's pretty clear he's not the physical type but has magical/mystic powers.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:05 am

And I would say it is high time for a combat using magical/mystic powers. It is a different approach of Dragon Ball usually does, and is exactly what it needs: different approach.

Which is why I eagerly await for Dai Kaioshin's return. Hopefully we get to see more of him, and as a bonus, he actually introduces more concepts and even bring some story about Kaioshins.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:57 am

PFM18 wrote:-Merus says "Goku and Vegeta? THE Goku and Vegeta?" I didnt know he had hyped up Goku and Vegeta or were familiar with the names.
Doesn't RoF say that Freeza's force avoided to go to Earth because Goku is known for defeating Boo? The info could've spread, specialy if Goku defeating Freeza again and Vegeta slapping him around spread, since Jaco could've done so, not far fetched for them to be known.

Either way, about the new villain, if he's just a generic strong guy, he can still be below Broly, since Goku and Vegeta had to rely on fusion to beat him, and he's just strong, hopefuly he has some different attacks (As in, something more than generic ki blasts or generic beam attack), although I'd preffer if he's a wizard or something like that.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:27 pm

I very much hope that this new character is a magic oriented antagonist. We've had scarce few of that variety since the original Dragon Ball and they're generally interpreted as distasteful gimmicky sideshows meant to entertain briefly before the main event. Magic can be incredibly dangerous and pose as a legitimate threat if written properly.

Do I expect this to happen? No, probably not. We don't even know if this character uses magic -- only that he seems unorthodox next to all the bulky athletes from the rogue's gallery.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:04 pm

Lionel wrote:I very much hope that this new character is a magic oriented antagonist. We've had scarce few of that variety since the original Dragon Ball and they're generally interpreted as distasteful gimmicky sideshows meant to entertain briefly before the main event. Magic can be incredibly dangerous and pose as a legitimate threat if written properly.

Do I expect this to happen? No, probably not. We don't even know if this character uses magic -- only that he seems unorthodox next to all the bulky athletes from the rogue's gallery.
Zamasu in the manga was entirely a magic-based threat. Goku Black was the one with the power. Zamasu gave Goku a decent enough fight, but was outmatched.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:14 pm

Son-Kakaroto wrote: Idk why you are throwing GT and dbz movies under the bus, their villians all were unique and had some awesome designs.
I brought them up because they use the typical powerful big buff up form and some even big and beefy looking like Yi Xing Long. I do get sick of the big muscular characters that DB has because you don't need to be big and buff up to be powerful. That's why I like Beerus because he didn't need to be buffed up and have a transformation to be powerful. I still remember when people thought Beerus looked awful and how he didn't look very strong. Some people thought he would have a transformation but didn't. I look forward to the Goat villain because he could be something fresh and new. Hopefully, I won't be letdown.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Well looks clear that the escaped prisoner is not about strength, isn’t it .
At least that’s the premise, they just need assistance from great lords of lords, meaning he’s the one who supposedly knows how to imprison him , so looks about sealing techniques , antidotes or something like that .
Of course he will fail
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Lionel wrote:I very much hope that this new character is a magic oriented antagonist. We've had scarce few of that variety since the original Dragon Ball and they're generally interpreted as distasteful gimmicky sideshows meant to entertain briefly before the main event. Magic can be incredibly dangerous and pose as a legitimate threat if written properly.

I get serious magical vibes from him. Hopefully we could finally get a powerful magical user. It would be cool to see how they’d combat somebody like that.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Mr. Goat has this cape / coat that's typical for wizards in fiction. I bet he's an ancient sorcerer of some kind. I don't think he is or was a God of Destruction.
Better stated: i HOPE he is not but something different. Far more original.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:46 pm

I liked the chapter; I may have minor nitpicks but they're not worth going over, especially since they have to do with general trends of modern DB that I've already complained about already. Although I prefer the spectacle of the anime during its last episode, the plan is far more coherent here (and Toyotaro covers some of the holes left by Toriyama's plot with his knowledge of the series); they're both equally good renditions of the final minute, luckily. As for the entire ToP, I thought it had a great start and a great ending, a shame the middle was a mess.

I'm intrigued by the new arc. More of Boo is always a good thing. Seems like something far more interesting than the upcoming movie.
Last edited by Doctor. on Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:I liked the chapter; I may have minor nitpicks but they're not worth going over. Although I prefer the spectacle of the anime during its last episode, the plan is far more coherent here (and Toyotaro covers some of the holes left by Toriyama's plot with his knowledge of the series); they're both equally good renditions of the final minute, luckily.As for the entire ToP, I thought it had a great start and a great ending, a shame the middle was a mess.

I'm intrigued by the new arc. More of Boo is always a good thing. Seems like something far more interesting than the upcoming movie.
I'm mostly thankful to have something else to talk about besides fucking Broly after months on end.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:06 pm

TobyS wrote:Stop being overly literal if he used all his Ki he'd be dead.

He obviously had a scrap left to wrestle Jiren because that's what happened. It's not several volumes later when the author might have forgotten a previous line of dialogue.. It was right after.
Nice excuse but that doesn't work because Geran wasn't weakened so he very much could ring him out in a second.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:27 am

There's such a thing as dramatic timing.

This is some "they ruined the consistency of my choreography-derived feats!" level nitpicking, and I am surprised it took someone this long to resort to it.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:12 am

alakazam^ wrote: Nice excuse but that doesn't work because Geran wasn't weakened so he very much could ring him out in a second.
Except for the part where Vegeta specifically mentioned that Jiren was weakened.

I'd advise quitting while you're ahead because this is a whole other level of straw-grasping.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:17 am

Think this chapter was fine.

Didn't particularly care for it personally, but I could see why some people would really like it, for me, it just really did nothing however.

If I do have any complaints, is that the introduction into the next arc feels a bit sudden, though thats to be expected considering how much needed to be covered.

Will be interested to see where this arc goes narratively in the manga.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:20 am

Doctor. wrote:More of Boo is always a good thing. Seems like something far more interesting than the upcoming movie.
Can definitely disagree about that. Buu is an extremely boring character and generally the less of him the better IMO. In this case, he functions as a vessel for Dai Kaioshin so it still works as being really interesting though.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:08 am

PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:More of Boo is always a good thing. Seems like something far more interesting than the upcoming movie.
Can definitely disagree about that. Buu is an extremely boring character and generally the less of him the better IMO. In this case, he functions as a vessel for Dai Kaioshin so it still works as being really interesting though.
Good Boo pre-super wasn’t boring at all for me , his inner fight create by the love for a dog was fantastic.
Super made out of him a sleeping gag , I wish this will improve in this upcoming arc , at least make different Gags .
Yes more boo is a good thing .
Yes this arc is more interesting than broly movie , we don’t know what’s gonna happen before is even released
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....