"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Rakurai wrote:Have people seen the poll results for this btw? It's a poll for Goku's best battles in the manga:

https://twitter.com/V_Jump/status/1066922147216449536

Majin Vegeta in 3rd place?

That battle was like... eight pages long in total. It was basically a filler event compared to the other battles Goku's fought. You could even say it was skipped over like Gohan vs Kefla. I can't believe this got 3rd place in comparison to actual important (and better choreographed!!) battles like Goku vs Muten Roshi, Goku vs Vegeta, Goku vs Piccolo, or Goku vs Zamasu.

If this was anime, I could understand. But this is clearly manga-only, since vs Golden Frieza is excluded from the poll. This just proves to me that people are always thinking about the anime, especially for DB/Z. This is a clear example of how the anime distorts the public perception of the manga. It's fine to like the anime better than the manga, but this is why it's bad practice to judge the standard of one by the other because it creates these misconceptions and pre-emptive expectations. It's like when people criticize Toyotarou for not making battles or not giving characters moments to shine because of anime standards.
Wow, I voted for Goku vs Vegeta from the Saiyan arc, I never expected their rematch to be so high.

Also, Goku vs Jiren was second? That's good, I liked the fight a lot and it is, along with Goku vs Zamasu, my favorite fight from the Super manga. I think it epitomizes the fighting styles for Goku and Jiren very well, with Goku fighting nonchalantly while trying to adapt to UI and Jiren fighting with brute strength and getting annoyed by how relaxed Goku is looking. A truly great fight.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:58 pm

I'm assuming the Goku vs Majin Vegeta battle is top three, because the anime had very good fight scenes for it. Especially Yamamuro's fight scene, really good choreography in that final fight.
I'm also suspecting the Jiren vs Ultra Instinct Goku bout was due to the anime too. I think the clash was forcefully visually impacting over the manga.
Yeah, is anyone surprised that Freeza and Goku fight is number one? This is why Freeza is still relevant to this day.

LimitbreakerKrillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LimitbreakerKrillin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:33 pm

Re-reading chapter 42 its kinda ambiguous weither or not the new galactic patrol arc takes place before or after the Broly movie. Like they talk about Ultra instinct and team work like it was something not too long ago, and there was nothing exciting happening between ToP and this arc

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:55 pm

LimitbreakerKrillin wrote:Re-reading chapter 42 its kinda ambiguous weither or not the new galactic patrol arc takes place before or after the Broly movie. Like they talk about Ultra instinct and team work like it was something not too long ago, and there was nothing exciting happening between ToP and this arc
Aside from the fact that the manga says "Broly happens...moving on..."

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:37 pm

IM21 wrote:
LimitbreakerKrillin wrote:
IM21 wrote:Broly mini manga was made by Toyo it seems. It comes in Saikyo jump.
Really? Any idea on how many pages it would have?
no idea. The issue will be out in the next couple of days, so info will arrive soon. I think it's not the whole movie, but just some small things, like the RoF promo manga. The movie still won't be out when this manga is released, so I guess Toyo won't be revealing the whole thing.
Just read in a couple of websites that it will be done by Naho Ooishi and Yoshitaka Nagayama
https://dragonballsuper-france.fr/drago ... ikyo-jump/
batistabus wrote:From Saikyo Jump, we have what appears to be Merus' character design. Looks like Toyotaro's work to me.
Merus design is awesome
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:01 pm

prince212 wrote: Just read in a couple of websites that it will be done by Naho Ooishi and Yoshitaka Nagayama
https://dragonballsuper-france.fr/drago ... ikyo-jump/
yea, just saw this. hmmm idk. I am not a fan of those two's art. Hope for the best.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Besides Goku vs Freeza on Namek and maybe Goku vs Vegeta first round -- which only constituted half of the overall battle in the first place -- most of my choices would likely be rooted in the original Dragon Ball. There was more emphasis on hand-to-hand combat while the ki usage was still relatively subdued back then. Goku battling Cell is a notable battle but not one that I feel quite reaches the topmost quality standards, in my opinion.

No matter what, Goku does tend to get the best quality fights and what seems like the most even-sided ones. It's understandable given his role as the protagonist. Still, I could go for more collaboration efforts that provide more varied dynamics to the fighting using other characters -- this recent confrontation with Jiren was a good example.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:30 pm

Lionel wrote:Besides Goku vs Freeza on Namek and maybe Goku vs Vegeta first round -- which only constituted half of the overall battle in the first place -- most of my choices would likely be rooted in the original Dragon Ball. There was more emphasis on hand-to-hand combat while the ki usage was still relatively subdued back then. Goku battling Cell is a notable battle but not one that I feel quite reaches the topmost quality standards, in my opinion.

No matter what, Goku does tend to get the best quality fights and what seems like the most even-sided ones. It's understandable given his role as the protagonist. Still, I could go for more collaboration efforts that provide more varied dynamics to the fighting using other characters -- this recent confrontation with Jiren was a good example.
I agree. I voted for Goku vs Jackie Chun. I also liked Goku vs Tao Pai Pai and Goku vs Tenshinhan.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:37 pm

So the DBS Broly movie is getting a manga retelling. Perhaps the higher ups at Shueisha didn't want Toyotaro to waste his time on the Broly movie and focus on more original content to promote the Super manga specifically.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:So the DBS Broly movie is getting a manga retelling. Perhaps the higher ups at Shueisha didn't want Toyotaro to waste his time on the Broly movie and focus on more original content to promote the Super manga specifically.
Naho Ooishi already did the ''Yo! Son Goku and his friends return!'' and ''Episode of Bardock'' adaptation so this could be just like that. But I don't expect the whole thing to come in this Saikyo Jump, just cause people still didn't see the movie and it would spoil it. If it's the whole movie adaptation it will be 2 or 3 mini mangas, I think.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:11 pm

IM21 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:So the DBS Broly movie is getting a manga retelling. Perhaps the higher ups at Shueisha didn't want Toyotaro to waste his time on the Broly movie and focus on more original content to promote the Super manga specifically.
Naho Ooishi already did the ''Yo! Son Goku and his friends return!'' and ''Episode of Bardock'' adaptation so this could be just like that. But I don't expect the whole thing to come in this Saikyo Jump, just cause people still didn't see the movie and it would spoil it. If it's the whole movie adaptation it will be 2 or 3 mini mangas, I think.
It’s weird 2 artist credited for this . Looking forward,
Ooishi episode of bardock was cool , and she played a big role in the story , am I right ?
The superheroes artist is fine too I guess , I just read 2 chapters of dark demon realm ..

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:24 pm

prince212 wrote: It’s weird 2 artist credited for this . Looking forward,
Ooishi episode of bardock was cool , and she played a big role in the story , am I right ?
The superheroes artist is fine too I guess , I just read 2 chapters of dark demon realm ..
Idk if they will both be drawing it or what's the deal with it.
Yea, as far as I know she wrote it and drew the series for V-Jump. I actualy didn't know the movie special was the adaptation of the manga.
I like the story in the SuperDBHeroes manga. I mean it's not a masterpiece, but it's fine. It's just the art that I am not the biggest fan of.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:43 pm

IM21 wrote: I like the story in the SuperDBHeroes manga. I mean it's not a masterpiece, but it's fine. It's just the art that I am not the biggest fan of.
Yeap that’s what I’m thinking, the story is really good for now ... just start reading , and the art is good too , just goku and trunks feel strange a bit :
May be I choose one of the weirdest pages to show , there’s awesome ones of characters that I never saw on manga

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:52 pm

prince212 wrote:,just goku and trunks feel strange a bit
What is strange about it?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:57 pm

Grimlock wrote:
prince212 wrote:,just goku and trunks feel strange a bit
What is strange about it?
Kind of inconsistent face in goku , may be I’m not used to it and that’s it , didn’t you check the pic that I attached?
Weird to me

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 pm

Naho Ooishi gets to do the Brolli movie manga!? She's finally escaped SD! Congrats! I like her art. Happy she gets to do something fresh and new with Dragon Ball for a change.

Re: Goku and Trunks in that DBH manga image

Whoever drew it has Goku's hair facing the wrong way in that top panel. The direction his head faces is always supposed to be the direction the bigger portion of his hair spikes face. It's a Mickey Mouse Astro Boy type situation that the artist ignored or forgot.
Last edited by Chuquita on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 pm

prince212 wrote:Kind of inconsistent face in goku , may be I’m not used to it and that’s it , didn’t you check the pic that I attached?
Weird to me
Oh, you are talking artstyle-wise, thought it was story-wise. Nevermind me. :)
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 pm

Chuquita wrote:Naho Ooishi gets to do the Brolli movie manga!? She's finally escaped SD! Congrats! I like her art. Happy she gets to do something fresh and new with Dragon Ball for a change.

I don't think she's done with SD. This is just some side job.

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shineman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:08 pm

Exline wrote:Wait is that really what happened? I thought the Majin Buu ordeal was set up for the Broly Arc? Wow. It's probably for the best another mangaka handle it too.

And Idk, I feel Toyotaro wasn't even trying. It was much clearer in those two chapters centered around Kale that he just wanted to get rid of the fighters as fast possible. Any capable writer is able to make a plausible story out of this arc, Toyotaro chose not to. We've seen what he can do in the previous arcs that were much better.

I also agree with your criticisms on the entirety of the arc. Toyotaro reuses a lot of panels and martial art choreography that it gets ridiculously repetitive. Toyotaro chose not to give it his all this arc.
Sorry if I did not respond to you in a timely manner, this thread moves fast sometimes when the back and forth nuh huh and yuh huh rears its head in here.

It seems that I might had spoken too soon; it seems that the promotional Broly manga is mostly going to still Toyotaro. A grave disappointment and a miss opportunity to have some fresh blood in here; all is well.

EDIT: OOPS! SPOKEN TOO SOON AGAIN. Naho Ooishi and Yoshitaka Nagayama is doing the promotional manga; now I'm actually looking forward for this.

Of course, any plausible writer can make a competent story block, and sometimes, it works wonders, depending on the mangaka’s experience on dealing with those type of arcs. Toyotaro’s issues, personally, is that he could not handle the load of many characters at once. The first chapter that started the tournament of power was a good start; afterwards, the supposed “chaotic feeling” of a battle royale vanished with more and more focus on one-to-one fights and a bunch of uninterested fluff in between. One of those fluffs is, as you phrase it, repetitive panels, reactions shots, punches, weird kicks and the sort. I was not expecting anything like Yuusuke Murata or ONE level of choreography, paneling and composition but I expected a bit more considering that he drawn for a very long, long time—he moved on from these things.

There were a few things that I thought “hey, that’s kind of cool”, but it essentially digging through a field of turds just to find gems. The Frost and Freeza ordeal was interesting, but the time-lag concept, in my eyes, dumb. Perhaps it is because I do not have some basic books on understanding this, but if someone’s time slowed to the point that they are unable to do anything since everything else moves super-fast, then regardless if they are holding back or not, it should not speed up their time… whatever that means; but hey, what can you do? Of course, these are just few examples out of a bunch that I thought was weird, awkward and just plain “well, perhaps there should have been another way of doing this; I know what he’s doing, but the execution does not seem to match his intentions well enough.”

I hoping that Toyotaro steps it up in this “Galactic Patrol Arc”; this will be the first time for the promotional manga to be ahead of the anime, so I expecting some huge highlights since everyone’s eyes is now narrowly focus on his content now more than ever, rather than occasional quips here and there.
alakazam^ wrote:That's exactly it, thanks for paying attention to the chapter.
It is no problem, I am glad that someone actually pointed that weird scene.

I mean, one can make an interpretation that everyone was happening so fast that the characters just did not think straight or could not react in a timely fashion, but the way the panels are structure, I have my doubts. I mean, Jiren could have have dispatch Goku, then gone after Vegeta (or just blow them away at the same time since they are losing their shit that despite Jiren being bruised up, he is still walking). It definitely feels like plot armor, haha. It is not exactly story breaking, personally, just a jarring moment that make you go “Huh…”
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

I run a general discussion site: https://cosmiccitycrews.com/index.php

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:24 am

IM21 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Naho Ooishi gets to do the Brolli movie manga!? She's finally escaped SD! Congrats! I like her art. Happy she gets to do something fresh and new with Dragon Ball for a change.

I don't think she's done with SD. This is just some side job.
I'm just happy to see her get to do something DB that's not just SD. Even if it's only a side job.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!