"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lukmendes
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:58 pm

Rakurai wrote:Is that even a villain? He has the Galactic Patrol insignia and he says that he'll carry out his own brand of justice. Though I guess that's something villains would say... he might just be an anti-hero.

Also you should post this in the appropriate thread.
Carrying his own brand of justice is what Zamasu was doing too, so he could end up being Zamasu 2.0 lol.

Anyways, that Moro guy, his power can be seen as either an evil genki dama, or a faster and better version of the tree of fruit might, since he absorbs the living force of the planet and its living creatures then eats it, the scene showing him doing so was pretty cool, hope he stays interesting like this.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:06 pm

I hope it's revealed this guy is eating genki instead of just ki. Would make him a significant threat in a reasonable manner.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Well if you wanted a logical way for a villain to be stronger then Goku, Broly and Jiren at this point, having him devour entire planets Genki the way Cell drank people is a pretty good way to do it.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Well if you wanted a logical way for a villain to be stronger then Goku, Broly and Jiren at this point, having him devour entire planets Genki the way Cell drank people is a pretty good way to do it.
He doesn't need to be stronger than Jiren or Broly, since Jiren could only be beaten via UI, and Broly only via fusion, so he could easily be below them, but still stronger than Goku and Vegeta.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Lukmendes wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:Well if you wanted a logical way for a villain to be stronger then Goku, Broly and Jiren at this point, having him devour entire planets Genki the way Cell drank people is a pretty good way to do it.
He doesn't need to be stronger than Jiren or Broly, since Jiren could only be beaten via UI, and Broly only via fusion, so he could easily be below them, but still stronger than Goku and Vegeta.
As much as I would like a villain to play by a different set of rules, this is DB and we all know how the power creep works. If he's not already stronger, he's going to be by the end of the arc.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:
Lukmendes wrote:
As much as I would like a villain to play by a different set of rules, this is DB and we all know how the power creep works. If he's not already stronger, he's going to be by the end of the arc.
DB has "rules" of how the arcs are supposed to be play out, but they aren't obligatory, Freeza returned after Beerus was an opponent, and Beerus hilariously outclasses him, so something like that can be done with Moro, another kind of "rule" that can be broken is the characters beating the villain when they're at their strongest form, since Vegeta in saiyan saga wasn't beaten while in Oozaru form, neither was Boo in his strongest form when he was beaten, and usualy in DB the characters beat the villains when they're at their strongest, so if those "rules" can be broken, then, maybe, just maybe, Moro won't be stronger than Jiren or Broly, and maybe he won't be beaten while he's at his strongest, it's very unlikely one or both will happen, but it's a possibility.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:09 pm

HeroR wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I have it save on my computer, but I’m on my phone at the moment. I will post it when I get home.
No problem. Thanks.
Sorry for the wait:

https://imgur.com/0k7oRGl

If you're wondering about the French, it's because they're the ones who did the original translation.
Ah. I remember that.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:13 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:New leaks
Wow, I'm actually kind of hyped. It's nice to see Toei sitting on the sidelines with this one, they've done enough damage "interpreting" Toriyama's notes in the Super.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:36 pm

All I can say is that I'm excited for this new enemy, he has a really cool design, and this ability to absorb genki is interesting.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Lukmendes wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:
Lukmendes wrote:
DB has "rules" of how the arcs are supposed to be play out, but they aren't obligatory, Freeza returned after Beerus was an opponent, and Beerus hilariously outclasses him, so something like that can be done with Moro, another kind of "rule" that can be broken is the characters beating the villain when they're at their strongest form, since Vegeta in saiyan saga wasn't beaten while in Oozaru form, neither was Boo in his strongest form when he was beaten, and usualy in DB the characters beat the villains when they're at their strongest, so if those "rules" can be broken, then, maybe, just maybe, Moro won't be stronger than Jiren or Broly, and maybe he won't be beaten while he's at his strongest, it's very unlikely one or both will happen, but it's a possibility.
I would very much like that to be the case. I want Moro to be an intelligent villain who can beat the heroes though his command of abilities they simple cannot counter rather then just punching or blasting them into submission.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Hey, is that Toyotaro almost letting his drawings breathe for once? If so, I might actually start to enjoy reading this thing. Hope this pattern continues and isn't just a fluke, but I've been burned enough into almost-liking this series enough to not get my hopes higher than what's reasonable.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:11 pm

Ok been thinking about thats the leaks have said and I think Goku and Vegeta may end up loosing their God Power after this arc.

Daikaioshin beat Moro by sacrificing his godly power, Goku and Vegeta may have to do the same...

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Ok been thinking about thats the leaks have said and I think Goku and Vegeta may end up loosing their God Power after this arc.

Daikaioshin beat Moro by sacrificing his godly power, Goku and Vegeta may have to do the same...
I would absolutely love this type of drama and sacrifice in the series. I guarantee you it won’t happen though.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:25 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:New leaks
GokuDragonBall wrote:Interesting titbits about the leaks.
https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/10 ... 9474286593
Anyone mention how that is some good art going on there? Moro seems very interesting, he was imprisoned more than 10 million years and even been alive longer...
"Even without his magic [which is the reason why they want Dai Kai to seal it again]," his battle power is formidable." Woah, he even noticed Goku was sensing him.
This guy just Genki dama'd a planet and popped it like a pill. Looks like Broly is already yesterdays news.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:05 pm

Shaddy wrote:Hey, is that Toyotaro almost letting his drawings breathe for once? If so, I might actually start to enjoy reading this thing. Hope this pattern continues and isn't just a fluke, but I've been burned enough into almost-liking this series enough to not get my hopes higher than what's reasonable.
Ikr
this chapter is so much better than 90% of the chapters from the TOP arc.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Not going to lie, this looks really interesting.

I think I'm going to be completely down for this. GOAT man seems really menacing, hope that menace and intrigue continues.

Can't believe I'm actually hyped for the manga after the TOP sort of killed it for me.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:24 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
Shineman wrote: While those are interesting interviews, I failed to see an concrete connection that Caulifla and Kale's existence is align with the interest of oversea fans.
Dragon Ball Room oversees the continuation of the franchise. In that first interview, its section chief specifically mentions that Broly is more popular overseas than in Japan.

In the second interview, Toei confirms that Kale's creation was based on Broly's popularity.

I don't know what you consider a concrete connection, but it's not a stretch to connect those dots. If Kale isn't directly influenced by the sensibilities of foreign audiences, she's at least "aligned" with them by Room's standards.
1. The 1st interview never said that Broly was more popular in the West (it never even brought up the West in particular, just places outside of Japan in general), only the he had an exceptionally large overseas fanbase compared to most characters.

2. Nowhere in the 2nd interview are overseas fans even mention involving Kale, so are just projecting and making baseless assumptions.

If Broly was more popular in the West than in Japan, there would be far more Broly products officially released over here. Logic 101

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:29 pm

batistabus wrote:
zarmack wrote:1234
1. Most DB merchandise doesn't get released overseas, not just Broly.

Look, I never said Broly is in reality more popular outside of Japan. Those are words directly from Toei, and no matter how much I may dislike or disagree with that assessment, it matters.

2/3. If you don't consider Latin America part of the West, I'm not going to get into debating civilization with you. I consider it so, and was including them in my original point. You're nitpicking my word choice more than addressing my actual point. Regardless, maybe we should just chalk this one up to mismatched terminology.

4. Again, I'd love to see any statistic that supports your point. If you're just going with "popular", how's this?

Anyway, I've said what I need to say about this. Marlowe89 is right, I'm just connecting the dots based on evidence. It's just a small fraction of my problem with the anime and reason to prefer the manga.
Shineman wrote:snip
I'd be happy to take this to the DMs, but I'd rather keep the conversation here geared towards the new chapter.
1. Latin America is generally not considered a part of the West by most businesses and cultural geographers.

2. None of the 10 countries listed in your link are North America or European. So you basically debunked yourself with that link.

3. The West was never even brought you in either interview, so both you and Marlowe89 are clearly wrong.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Okay Toyotaro.
I'm not getting my hopes up, but you have my attention.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:34 pm

HeroR wrote:I just want to add, ‘Broly being more popular in the West’ isn’t really true. In a V-Jump poll taking recently Broly was #2 behind Freeza. He beat Black, Buu, and Jiren (yes, Jiren scored high on that same poll beating Black).
Exactly. Its just another dumb Western fan myth like "the series was meant to end at the Namek saga but Toriyama was forced to contiune it" or "Toriyama was forced to make Goku the hero again in the Buu arc" or "Vegeta is only super-popular in the West" (which is even more wrong and even stupider than the Broly myth), etc.