"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:58 am

Well to me it feels really right, it's heavily built upon DB mythology, there is an actual threat from a REAL villain (long time no see, last was Zamas...), I am really hoping that they take the opportunity to dig on Genki Dama's lore further, Moro could very well be capable of doing an "Evil Genki Dama" for all we know, that would be amazing. Vegeta got his ass kicked that's a classic but so did Goku and that happens less often, I found it great that they couldn't use their power it puts some stakes back in again, even if they Gogeta it will be useless I love that,
I even got goosebumps when Goku said the chi wasn't very strong but felt ominous, that Moro could feel him looking for him too, I seriously dig all that,
Goku also feels like Goku this time so thumbs up there too, only beef I have left is Beerus and Whis are really a handicap to the story since every time they need to justify that they don't intervene

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:26 am

PsionicWarrior wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:58 am Well to me it feels really right, it's heavily built upon DB mythology, there is an actual threat from a REAL villain (long time no see, last was Zamas...)
I don't think you can say long time no see when 'one arc' is the long time...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:47 am

Kanassa wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:26 am
PsionicWarrior wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:58 am Well to me it feels really right, it's heavily built upon DB mythology, there is an actual threat from a REAL villain (long time no see, last was Zamas...)
And when was the last time before Zamas? The majority of Super has no real villain

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:03 am

PsionicWarrior wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:47 am
Kanassa wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:26 am
And when was the last time before Zamas? The majority of Super has no real villain
Freeza in the retelling of Resurrection 'F'. When then have Freeza again and Broly's dad in the Broly movie. So Super went no villain (Beerus), villain (Freeza), no villain (Champa), villain (Zamasu and Black), no villain, and villain (Freeza and Broly's dad).
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:16 am

You're missing some like Hit or Jiren,
Didn't think of counting Freeza in this thread but ok

Piccolo_Daima
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Piccolo_Daima » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:44 am

Rumors say that the Super Namekian who got beat by Moro isn't dead, that could mean that he's gonna fuse with Piccolo and we'll have the Super Namekian God.

I can't wait.

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 am

Piccolo_Daima wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:44 am Rumors say that the Super Namekian who got beat by Moro isn't dead, that could mean that he's gonna fuse with Piccolo and we'll have the Super Namekian God.

I can't wait.
I won't lie when I say that made me laugh harder than I thought I would. It reminds me of early speculation when the Universe 6 arc started and many were saying how Piccolo is going to get a God boost.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:11 am

PsionicWarrior wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:16 am You're missing some like Hit or Jiren,
How? They mentioned the Champa arc and the TOP Arc.

And if we're not counting the retellings then it's 'NO Villain, Villain, No Villain, Villain'. So, the point still stands.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Piccolo_Daima
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Piccolo_Daima » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:20 am

SaiyanTarzan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 am
Piccolo_Daima wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:44 am Rumors say that the Super Namekian who got beat by Moro isn't dead, that could mean that he's gonna fuse with Piccolo and we'll have the Super Namekian God.

I can't wait.
I won't lie when I say that made me laugh harder than I thought I would. It reminds me of early speculation when the Universe 6 arc started and many were saying how Piccolo is going to get a God boost.
This time is different, the arc is taking place on Namek, they talked about a Legendary Namekian and Goku and Vegeta are hurt so they can't fight. All the roads lead to Piccolo becoming in the Super Namekian God

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:28 am

But there's no legendary Namekian. Tsuburi is basically what Saonel and Pirina were in the TOP.

That Piccolo might end up fusing with this fellow, I dunno, maybe? If this is supposed to be Namek arc 2.0, yes, that might happen. But I doubt it will result in anything other than a somewhat stronger Piccolo. The "god" power up isn't about strength or ki amount.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Piccolo_Daima wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:20 am
SaiyanTarzan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 am

I can't wait.
This time is different, the arc is taking place on Namek, they talked about a Legendary Namekian and Goku and Vegeta are hurt so they can't fight. All the roads lead to Piccolo becoming in the Super Namekian God
The roads lead to nothing. The Namekian is most likely dead, and he wasn’t called “legendary”.
And I say this as a Piccolo fan who would welcome a power-boost for Piccolo. But I’m not getting my hopes up.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:40 pm

That would be laughable. They literally did the same thing with Nail (right down for being beaten & left for dead by the villain before Piccolo finds them), it would be a blatant retread just to give Piccolo a power up. And he's not even in this arc right now, nor does he have any reason to get involved.

I get why people want a power up for Piccolo (even if I disagree) but I have to say this would be one of the worst ways to go about it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Kanassa wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:11 am
PsionicWarrior wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:16 am You're missing some like Hit or Jiren,
How? They mentioned the Champa arc and the TOP Arc.

And if we're not counting the retellings then it's 'NO Villain, Villain, No Villain, Villain'. So, the point still stands.
Beerus, Champa, Hit, Jiren... Zamasu and Freeza. I guess Freeza doesn't give me much impression here on this aspect because we know him for so long, also he grew diplomatic
I also consider Broly is in the grey area, Paragus... I mean he's just in the background

It's not really important though lol

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 pm

Hit and Jiren are not 'villains', they're antagonists. That and you said that Super had no villains except Zamasu, except Freeza would technical count. That and Broly's dad since he's the reason why Broly is so messed up in the head and would have attacked Vegeta regardless of Freeza. So he really isn't a background character in that regard.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31 pm

Saiga wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:40 pm nor does he have any reason to get involved.

I understand the criticism regarding the Namek arc/Nail similarities, but no reason to get involved?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Michsi wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31 pm
Saiga wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:40 pm nor does he have any reason to get involved.

I understand the criticism regarding the Namek arc/Nail similarities, but no reason to get involved?
He hasn't been involved in a meaningful fashion for a long time. Why would he suddenly come into play now?

In-universe, he also doesn't even know what's going on and New Name is kind of hidden away. It'd be pretty illogical for him to show up here.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 am

Saiga wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:53 pm
Michsi wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31 pm

He hasn't been involved in a meaningful fashion for a long time. Why would he suddenly come into play now?

In-universe, he also doesn't even know what's going on and New Name is kind of hidden away. It'd be pretty illogical for him to show up here.
Since when did that stop Dragon Ball before? We already know Bulma has been informed of what's going on and Dende knows where New Namek is. Capsule Corp has had ships that could reach old Namek in a couple of days for years, I imagine it wouldn't be complicated for them to make their way there if they wanted to.

As for Piccolo, it's Namek! That's all the reason he needs. He's been shoved into arcs with no other intent than to remind us of his presence and because he's popular, but you'd find it odd that they'd look for a way to involve him here? Dende is even further out of his league here and has a responsibility on Earth and I still wouldn't be surprised or hold it against him if he wanted to lend a hand.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:13 am

HeroR wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 pm Hit and Jiren are not 'villains', they're antagonists.

Precisely, we saw more antagonists than villains in Super, not saying this as a critic to keep in mind
That and you said that Super had no villains except Zamasu, except Freeza would technical count. That and Broly's dad since he's the reason why Broly is so messed up in the head and would have attacked Vegeta regardless of Freeza. So he really isn't a background character in that regard.
Even if he has purpose he still is a background character, and by himself is not much of a threat

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:17 am

PsionicWarrior wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:13 am
HeroR wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 pm Hit and Jiren are not 'villains', they're antagonists.

Precisely, we saw more antagonists than villains in Super, not saying this as a critic to keep in mind
That and you said that Super had no villains except Zamasu, except Freeza would technical count. That and Broly's dad since he's the reason why Broly is so messed up in the head and would have attacked Vegeta regardless of Freeza. So he really isn't a background character in that regard.
Even if he has purpose he still is a background character, and by himself is not much of a threat
Personally don't mind since the antagonists have been more interesting that villains who are evil just cause that populated Z. Even Freeza has an extra layer to him now other than being 'Evil Emperor'.

Broly's father isn't a background character since he's literally the reason why Broly is the way that he is, an unstable man child who Freeza easily manipulated. Certain things simply wouldn't have happened in the Broly movie if it wasn't for him.
Kanassa wrote:

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:25 am

HeroR wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:17 am Broly's father isn't a background character since he's literally the reason why Broly is the way that he is, an unstable man child who Freeza easily manipulated. Certain things simply wouldn't have happened in the Broly movie if it wasn't for him.
I don't disagree with you but he still is a background character in the sense he doesn't give the chills, he can get killed so easily by the main cast and that is exactly what happened