"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

SquadronGOD
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:22 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by SquadronGOD » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:09 pm

They need to get a hold of the dragon balls and wish for the super namekian back to fuse with piccolo. Then moori commits suicide to destroy the dragon balls. Lol

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 2483
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:50 pm
So, after seeing Ssj Caulifla holding her own against Golden Freeza, Ssj Berserker Kale slaughtering half the fighters during the ToP and then losing to the weakest Pride Troopers, Ssj Kefla losing to Gohan and freaking Muten Roshi dodging freaking Jiren's punches, we have a new low, ladies and gentlemen:

Good Buu, the weakest version of Majin Buu, beating the crap out of somebody who was trading blows with Ssj God Vegeta way before absorbing his ki.

:thumbup:
Did you not read where Moro asked Buu/Dai Kai how he came to such strength at the end of the chapter? Making Buu's surprise power a mystery still? I'll answer that for you , you didn't. I also recommend you go back and read the former things you tried to criticize cause you are wrong on those too.
Last edited by Miracles on Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."~Psalm 14:1

Thani
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Thani » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:16 pm

Was it strength or abilities, Miracles? Because if the latter, it makes sense since Daikaioshin had nothing resembling Buu's regeneration or "infinite" stamina, to be fair. Strength would make sense as well, considering we're all surprised by Buu's performance (although also to be fair, Moro tore straight through Buu's belly without effort, so I think there is supposed to be a difference in raw power). Only asking because in the translation I've read, Moro used the word abilities, and I assumed it was in regards to Buu's usual powers that Daikaioshin lacked.

Now, I agree. Caulifla did NOT held her own against Golden Freeza, Kale's defeat by the hands of the weaker Troopers was explained in a way that made sense as well. Even Roshi's performance is understandable since, as Jiren put, he never wastes movements - using full strength/speed on someone he KNOWS wouldn't be able to survive them would be a massive waste, indeed. The Gohan/Kefla thing is the one thing I'm iffy about, but I disliked the manga ToP overall anyway so I don't dwell over it.

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 2483
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:42 pm

Thani wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:16 pm
Was it strength or abilities, Miracles? Because if the latter, it makes sense since Daikaioshin had nothing resembling Buu's regeneration or "infinite" stamina, to be fair. Strength would make sense as well, considering we're all surprised by Buu's performance (although also to be fair, Moro tore straight through Buu's belly without effort, so I think there is supposed to be a difference in raw power). Only asking because in the translation I've read, Moro used the word abilities, and I assumed it was in regards to Buu's usual powers that Daikaioshin lacked.
Abilities can mean all of the above. However, if we look at context, I think Moro already knows Dai Kai's ability from the past. So there should be no need to ask about what he already knows. Buu was physically dominating Moro while regenerating from an attack. Those abilities are most likely new to Dai Kai's arsenal. I don't believe Moro's magic being ineffective against Dai Kai is a surprise to him since the plot already stated Dai Kai is needed to seal him again.
Last edited by Miracles on Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."~Psalm 14:1

Thani
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Thani » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:00 pm

Yeah, you're right. It could be any or all of them, alright, but no way to know for sure other than wait the next chapter.

User avatar
TKA
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TKA » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:20 pm

I think it's as simple as Buu being far stronger than the Grand Supreme Kai was.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder


http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Batman is out there busting his ass to avenge Goku and you won't even go see him do it?!

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2203
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:32 pm

That was fun.

Goku and Vegeta had some nice character moments, and Majin Buu kicking ass is a pleasant surprise.

Looking forward to seeing how this will turn out.

User avatar
Zamasu55
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1585
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Zamasu55 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:05 am

Miracles wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:11 pm
Zamasu55 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:50 pm
So, after seeing Ssj Caulifla holding her own against Golden Freeza, Ssj Berserker Kale slaughtering half the fighters during the ToP and then losing to the weakest Pride Troopers, Ssj Kefla losing to Gohan and freaking Muten Roshi dodging freaking Jiren's punches, we have a new low, ladies and gentlemen:

Good Buu, the weakest version of Majin Buu, beating the crap out of somebody who was trading blows with Ssj God Vegeta way before absorbing his ki.

:thumbup:
Did you not read where Moro asked Buu/Dai Kai how he came to such strength at the end of the chapter? Making Buu's surprise power a mystery still? I'll answer that for you , you didn't. I also recommend you go back and read the former things you tried to criticize cause you are wrong on those too.
And how did he get stronger? Was it explained? No.

User avatar
supersaiyangodgogeta
Regular
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by supersaiyangodgogeta » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Moro doesn't realize that Boo is a separate entity from the Grand Kaioshin. Boo>Grand Kaioshin in terms of strength. That's all that means.

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 2483
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:24 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:05 am
Miracles wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:11 pm
Zamasu55 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:50 pm
So, after seeing Ssj Caulifla holding her own against Golden Freeza, Ssj Berserker Kale slaughtering half the fighters during the ToP and then losing to the weakest Pride Troopers, Ssj Kefla losing to Gohan and freaking Muten Roshi dodging freaking Jiren's punches, we have a new low, ladies and gentlemen:

Good Buu, the weakest version of Majin Buu, beating the crap out of somebody who was trading blows with Ssj God Vegeta way before absorbing his ki.

:thumbup:
Did you not read where Moro asked Buu/Dai Kai how he came to such strength at the end of the chapter? Making Buu's surprise power a mystery still? I'll answer that for you , you didn't. I also recommend you go back and read the former things you tried to criticize cause you are wrong on those too.
And how did he get stronger? Was it explained? No.
That's cause Moro asked the question at the end of the chapter.
You better read carefully.
TKA wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:20 pm
I think it's as simple as Buu being far stronger than the Grand Supreme Kai was.
Yeah, pretty much.
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."~Psalm 14:1

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8658
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:22 pm

There's also the fact that it outright states Moro's energy drain isn't working on Boo. Vegeta notes it, but it's uncertain if Moro himself has really noticed it yet. So between Boo being way stronger than Dai Kaioshin was, and his draining magic not working on him like it should, those two factors are certainly enough to keep Moro more on his toes than he otherwise would need to be.

That said though, I'd be surprised if this is already the climax of the arc. I'm betting something will go wrong in regards to Boo, or Moro will have a trick up his sleeve to counter these new problems. I am wondering though if the Namekian Dragon Balls will end up not being an issue though. It would seem like a pretty smart plan on Moori's part to very quickly steal back the ones Moro has, make three super simple wishes to use them all up (or...can...can you wish for them to enter their inactive period actually? We've never had an occasion for that to happen, but here it might not be such a bad idea) so Moro can't have them. Part of the reason I think this? Moro seems to be able to sense the Dragon Balls directly for some reason, he's basically a living Dragon Radar. So, I wouldn't put it past Toriyama/Toyotaro for the Namekian Dragon Balls to just be an initial goal, only for them to get taken out of the picture somehow or another, and then Moro senses that there are more of them out there in the universe. Whether this leads him to Earth's Dragon Balls, or to the Super Dragon Balls, I can't guess too certainly, but I'm betting on this game-changer coming up somehow or another.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5946
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:25 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:22 pm
That said though, I'd be surprised if this is already the climax of the arc.
Yeah, doesn't really seem like the set up for the climax. I'm betting Moro does get his wish or, at the very least, the Dragon is summoned before Moro is defeated.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1187
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kinokima » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:32 pm

I also can’t see this being the end of the arc. And as cool as it is to see Buu having a moment. I think it would be a bit too easy for the good guys to already win. So yeah I am also thinking there will be some twist with the Dragon Balls.

It’s also good that the Dragon Balls aren’t just there to get Goku and co out of Jams but they can be dangerous if someone evil gets them. I like that reminder. So I hope that IS how the story goes.

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1548
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:10 pm

TKA wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:54 am
Every Toei movie is "Bad guy shows up, the heroes fight, there's some hijinks and gags, final fight"

That's boring. That's the same formula here. I'd rather more chapters without fighting while both sides do other things, and that way the anticipation of when they come to blows will grow and grow until the crescendo.

There needs to be more going on. As is, this is all too straightforward.

Mind you, this is even ignoring the fact that this arc doesn't seem to have a theme. This is the part that's the biggest missing piece for me as well.
To me, the formula you described isn't what makes the Toei movies so bad. I dislike them because they're soulless, inconsequential, and they often misrepresent characters. RoF and Broly also follow that formula, and you could certainly describe aspects of those films as inconsequential, but I still find those films charming and entertaining. So far in this arc, I feel genuine enthusiasm from the author, spot-on character writing, and plot points that are both consequential for individual characters and the lore at large.

I'd also be more inclined to see your point of view if I had any sense that the arc were ending soon. To me, it seems like we're still in the early stages of the arc. I expect that we will be getting more of the scenes you're hoping for. I hope for them as well, but I've been entertained up to this point at least.

As for the lack of a theme, again, I think it's too soon to tell. Up until this point, Toriyama has laid out his themes for Super arcs in relatively straightforward ways - compared to the original run of Dragon Ball - due to the nature of his contributions (submitting a full outline at once) and his modern sensibilities. If we're still without something meaningful and cohesive at the end of this, I may end up agreeing with you.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7685
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:51 am

Kanassa wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:25 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:22 pm
That said though, I'd be surprised if this is already the climax of the arc.
Yeah, doesn't really seem like the set up for the climax. I'm betting Moro does get his wish or, at the very least, the Dragon is summoned before Moro is defeated.
I don't think he knows Namekian.....but given how Moro seems to be getting New Powers as the Plot Demands, maybe he just knows Namekian the same way he can just sense Dragon Balls now.

Seriously, what was he doing for three days?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4293
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:06 am

HeroR wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:51 am
Kanassa wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:25 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:22 pm
That said though, I'd be surprised if this is already the climax of the arc.
Yeah, doesn't really seem like the set up for the climax. I'm betting Moro does get his wish or, at the very least, the Dragon is summoned before Moro is defeated.
I don't think he knows Namekian.....but given how Moro seems to be getting New Powers as the Plot Demands, maybe he just knows Namekian the same way he can just sense Dragon Balls now.

Seriously, what was he doing for three days?
Duh, studying Namekian.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7685
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:09 am

Michsi wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:06 am

Duh, studying Namekian.
From the Namekian Book of Legends?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4293
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:13 am

HeroR wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:09 am
Michsi wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:06 am

Duh, studying Namekian.
From the Namekian Book of Legends?
Nah, from the people screaming in terror in their native language.

I wouldn't be surprised though if they'll write something like him also being able to absorb memories and knowledge or a random thing like that.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5946
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:24 am

HeroR wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:51 am
Seriously, what was he doing for three days?
Getting his krunk on.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1548
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:36 pm

HeroR wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:51 am
Seriously, what was he doing for three days?
I really think he was learning how to sense the Dragon Balls. It takes him a moment to figure out where the one hidden in that village was, and it doesn't seem that he would've known how to sense them before arriving on New Namek.

Post Reply