"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Block88 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:04 pm

So is it me or does anyone feel like the 28 planet thing was recton....

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 pm

Block88 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:04 pm So is it me or does anyone feel like the 28 planet thing was recton....
Depends if you think that every single character is from a different planet

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:01 pm

Block88 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:49 pm Moro wish is lame and stupid considering he could’ve done it himself
Regardless there’s better be something worth about the fodder prisoners cause without Moro there nothing
Yeah I thought that as well, like it was a bit of a waste of a wish. Maybe we're underestimating galactic patrol as a whole unit though, Moro probably can't use his energy drain techniques on a metal prison (even though at this point probably wouldn't need too).

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Kanassa wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:39 pm How did the prisoners get to Namek instantly?
It wasn't instantly. Didn't they steal the little galactic patrol guys spaceship?

And whoever mentioned Toyotaro writing the arc is probably right. Is it bad I was surprised to see toriyamas name credited with writing. He just seems very removed from the Manga and anime at this point, unlike say when he rewrote BoG himself. I guess that's fine though, definitely don't want him working on the series if he's not passionate to do so and Toei is just pestering him to continue.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:22 pm

nato25 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 pm
Kanassa wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:39 pm How did the prisoners get to Namek instantly?
It wasn't instantly. Didn't they steal the little galactic patrol guys spaceship?
At best, it was a few minutes, which is far quicker than other Galactic Patrol guys got there. If they had this super fast ship, why didn't the Patrol use it to get to New Namek in the first place? How did the prisoners even know where to go?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:39 pm

It would have been cool if they added Bojack as one of the Galactic Control Prisoners. It would be a cool way to add him into the lore of Toriyama similar how they rebooted Broli for the Super movie.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:51 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 pm
Block88 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:04 pm So is it me or does anyone feel like the 28 planet thing was recton....
Depends if you think that every single character is from a different planet
Given Moro mentioned how the universe was brimming with life with wouldn’t be possible if there’s barely any planets left of civilization and beginning to think it was recton
Plus it was shin who mentioned it who not remotely reliable he’ll he was unaware of magetta species existing in u7

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:25 pm

I'm personally just enjoying how different this story is playing out. The situation is so unique and different. It's not just same formula repeated over and over and over again ad nauseam. I really like that. It's very rough around the edges, but there's so many ways to go with this kind of conundrum. While Moro isn't really all that great, the challenge he poses is really intriguing and fun. Being more powerful means jack shit when he can take that away. Empowering mooks which actually makes them worth a damn is also really cool. It already beats the shit out of the pointless mook stuff from Resurrection F.

Yeah there is plenty of things I don't like too here...but I'm just feeling too optimistic and refreshed from how different this is. How out of their element Goku and Vegeta are. It's so much more interesting than "Damn this brick wall is so strong, we just gotta hit it harder." I'm already far more interested here than the dull Tournament of Power, especially the Manga's version. This is very flawed, but very new too. I feel that honestly helps the shortcomings Super always had which are still here. A new angle to tackle things.

I'd love for Gaffer Tape/Mistarefusion to leave a comment. Especially with how he found Super to tread water pretty much. Would he like this new angle at least to put the heroes in a different conundrum?
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:19 pm

It's a relief that the wish was not immortality, but this wish is stupid ... to leave it as a mystery for the next chapter is so annoying ....
Was it really necessary? ... he was able to free them with his current magic.
Why vegeta does not just kill all the prisoners at least he does not have the problem of killing his enemies.
the designs do not matter to me ... but the fact that it's just guys without any apparent ability. it's boring almost as much as moro is
I can only be interested in the mention of vegeta in the end panel
from the previous arc toyotaro has tried to disappoint me.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:23 pm

dbzfan7 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:25 pm I'm personally just enjoying how different this story is playing out. The situation is so unique and different. It's not just same formula repeated over and over and over again ad nauseam. I really like that. It's very rough around the edges, but there's so many ways to go with this kind of conundrum. While Moro isn't really all that great, the challenge he poses is really intriguing and fun. Being more powerful means jack shit when he can take that away. Empowering mooks which actually makes them worth a damn is also really cool. It already beats the shit out of the pointless mook stuff from Resurrection F.

Yeah there is plenty of things I don't like too here...but I'm just feeling too optimistic and refreshed from how different this is. How out of their element Goku and Vegeta are. It's so much more interesting than "Damn this brick wall is so strong, we just gotta hit it harder." I'm already far more interested here than the dull Tournament of Power, especially the Manga's version. This is very flawed, but very new too. I feel that honestly helps the shortcomings Super always had which are still here. A new angle to tackle things.

I'd love for Gaffer Tape/Mistarefusion to leave a comment. Especially with how he found Super to tread water pretty much. Would he like this new angle at least to put the heroes in a different conundrum?

You summed up my thoughts on this arc really well . It’s not so much that I think Moro is a great villain. On the surface he is as run of a mill as they come but I like the sense or urgency and drama that this arc brings

Goku and Vegeta are completely out of their element here. Usually the bad guy powers up and then the good guys power up and beat them. But that doesn’t work here because Moro can just steal Goku & Vegeta’s energy.

And while I don’t think the wish itself was that exciting the idea that Moro has left all these dangerous criminals on the loose who normally wouldn’t pose any threat to Goku & Vegeta but here they really did. I guess Goku & Vegeta had confidence they could take out Moro by himself quickly before he absorbed their energy again. They didn’t underestimate him. But just like we didn’t guess Moro’s wish they didn't either. The amount of powered up prisoners or fodder if you like was too much for them to take while Moro was also stealing their energy.

So I agree with you Goku & Vegeta can’t just hit harder and get out of this. This has especially frustrated Vegeta as we see in this chapter because it’s what he best understands as a warrior. I’ll be interesting to see what he is thinking about going to Yardrat. He says he doesn’t want to rely on “magic and tricks” and yet he is headed to the planet known for this.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:54 pm

magic in general is something they are not used to but stealing/absorb energy is an entirely old resource and the worst thing is that it feels tired to see the same resource of Moro used in Goku and vegeta at all times.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:00 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Can Goku stop acting surprised every single time? He seems a coward in the manga. That’s not how Goku ever acted in front of a threatening situation.
He should be more like he was in the movie when Broly and Freeza reached Earth.
Toyotaro is forgetting that Goku is supposed to be stoic. He’s no Deku, even though Toyotaro drew him in a style similar to MHA’s in a side shot when Goku turned Blue in this very chapter.
It’s irritating to see the main character being written and handled so badly in the manga.
How's Deku a coward if he risk his life more than once and I really don't see any similarities with this chapter artwork with MHA unless I'm missing something.

This chapter was interesting and kinda dull at the same time.

I'm glad we're getting a group of villain, too bad their designs sucks but nonetheless this could lead to some interesting matches.

Moro wish is very cool, I wonder how the heroes gonna countered that, this is way more creative than Youth.
Mostly active on discord.

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:52 pm

Special Project: Toyotarō Drew It!!” Image #20
Toyotaro draws Zarbon!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:00 am

Everyone's complaining about the prisoner designs and here I am HYPED to finally see Yardrats on manga for the first time!

Will they look like Toei Yardrats?

Or Toriyama Yardrats?

I think we will finally get an answer as to whether that U2 Toei Yardrat-looking fodder in the manga is actually a U2 Yardrat.
--

As for the prisoner designs, I think they're fine, nothing bad by the standards of DB in general. This group especially looks tight and clean af:

Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:20 am

The gr wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:00 pm
emperior wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Can Goku stop acting surprised every single time? He seems a coward in the manga. That’s not how Goku ever acted in front of a threatening situation.
He should be more like he was in the movie when Broly and Freeza reached Earth.
Toyotaro is forgetting that Goku is supposed to be stoic. He’s no Deku, even though Toyotaro drew him in a style similar to MHA’s in a side shot when Goku turned Blue in this very chapter.
It’s irritating to see the main character being written and handled so badly in the manga.
How's Deku a coward if he risk his life more than once and I really don't see any similarities with this chapter artwork with MHA unless I'm missing something.

This chapter was interesting and kinda dull at the same time.

I'm glad we're getting a group of villain, too bad their designs sucks but nonetheless this could lead to some interesting matches.

Moro wish is very cool, I wonder how the heroes gonna countered that, this is way more creative than Youth.
I mean he “feels” like Deku due to how un-stoic his behavior is starting to feel like. And I joked about how in just one specific panel Goku looked like he was drawn in a MHA style.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:58 am

I quite liked the chapter. I'm glad that the wish wasn't immortality, and it was something I never predicted. It's a fine wish in itself as Moro seems invincible with a super powerful army that draw out a battle with his enemies whilst he stands around absorbing their energy. It's actually OP, and strange to see such a ruthless tactic. It also makes sense as we were told last chapter that either Goku or Vegeta could defeat Moro, so this wish allowed him to survive a little longer, and add miles to the story, and more opportunities.
I loved Vegeta's tantrum at the end, and it fills me with a little bit of hope that it might lead to something more in the future. Then there's Yardrat, that could lead to many things and leaves me awaiting the next chapter.

Damn, this has been so refreshing, there are plenty of issues but that's been Super as a whole. My biggest gripe with this story actually hasn't been Moro as a character, but instead it's been the way his powers have been handled, it's a perfect counter to this issue of "Goku and Vegeta are too strong", but by making a villains ability the perfect counter to that lacks creativity, and a little annoying. It's great in the sense it highlights a real issue with them relying too much on power and having no defence to this sort of stuff, but just making super strong characters weaker is too simple of a way to deal with this. It also only works when the villain is still truly powerful, which Moro clearly was at the start, and still is now. So at the same time this is refreshing, it leaves me wanting more due to the the missed opportunities in regards to the magic.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:11 am

Kinokima wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:23 pm
dbzfan7 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:25 pm I'm personally just enjoying how different this story is playing out. The situation is so unique and different. It's not just same formula repeated over and over and over again ad nauseam. I really like that. It's very rough around the edges, but there's so many ways to go with this kind of conundrum. While Moro isn't really all that great, the challenge he poses is really intriguing and fun. Being more powerful means jack shit when he can take that away. Empowering mooks which actually makes them worth a damn is also really cool. It already beats the shit out of the pointless mook stuff from Resurrection F.

You summed up my thoughts on this arc really well . It’s not so much that I think Moro is a great villain. On the surface he is as run of a mill as they come but I like the sense or urgency and drama that this arc brings

Goku and Vegeta are completely out of their element here. Usually the bad guy powers up and then the good guys power up and beat them. But that doesn’t work here because Moro can just steal Goku & Vegeta’s energy.

And while I don’t think the wish itself was that exciting the idea that Moro has left all these dangerous criminals on the loose who normally wouldn’t pose any threat to Goku & Vegeta but here they really did. I guess Goku & Vegeta had confidence they could take out Moro by himself quickly before he absorbed their energy again. They didn’t underestimate him. But just like we didn’t guess Moro’s wish they didn't either. The amount of powered up prisoners or fodder if you like was too much for them to take while Moro was also stealing their energy.

So I agree with you Goku & Vegeta can’t just hit harder and get out of this. This has especially frustrated Vegeta as we see in this chapter because it’s what he best understands as a warrior. I’ll be interesting to see what he is thinking about going to Yardrat. He says he doesn’t want to rely on “magic and tricks” and yet he is headed to the planet known for this.
I think Vegeta is pissed that he knows learning tricks like that are gonna be the only answer to leveling the playing field. So yeah he's mad at Moro for all the magic stuff but moreso that he is gonna have to learn some stuff like that too.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:52 am

Everything in the prison happened "one ment" before they arrived on Namek, so it actually took them "one ment" to get there.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:16 am

It took them almost two chapters to get to Namek, I don't think that counts as instantly

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:10 am

TKA wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:52 am Everything in the prison happened "one ment" before they arrived on Namek, so it actually took them "one ment" to get there.
OLKv3 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:16 am It took them almost two chapters to get to Namek, I don't think that counts as instantly
And in those two chapters, not much time has been able to pass. Plus, Moro's wish apparently took the form of some vague shape that had to travel to the prison in the first place.

And again, how did they even know where to go?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017