"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Block88 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:33 pm I find it annoying how toyo keeps treating Moro energy drain ability as magic where it just him absorbing you at a very fast rate.
Wouldn’t hurt to actually have Moro do actual magic.
You mean like the Pyrokinesis, Telekinesis, and Mind Reading he has already done. And last I checked most characters can't absorb energy using their own power ( Excluding Goku and Piccolo.) And no, the androids don't count since that is using technology to do so.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:09 am

Many ways I think this arc is just par the course for DBS manga, and in other ways I think it's definitely worse. While Toyo does have some interesting ideas, they're often half baked, are executed poorly and end up having no real substance to them. I'm unsure if following Toriyama's script makes the stories better or worse, because at least Toriyama has a few good jokes and gags added into the story, while this arc is devoid of any humour.

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:39 am

Additional/Extra pages of the DBS manga, shown at Jump Victory Carnival 2019.
Translation by twitter account @Cipher_db:

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:49 am

Gog wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:09 am Many ways I think this arc is just par the course for DBS manga, and in other ways I think it's definitely worse. While Toyo does have some interesting ideas, they're often half baked, are executed poorly and end up having no real substance to them. I'm unsure if following Toriyama's script makes the stories better or worse, because at least Toriyama has a few good jokes and gags added into the story, while this arc is devoid of any humour.
There's been humor every chapter, I think this is the first one that didn't have any jokes. Jaco usually does a gag every chapter. The Boo fight was pretty much a gag for instance

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:07 am

OLKv3 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:49 am
Gog wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:09 am Many ways I think this arc is just par the course for DBS manga, and in other ways I think it's definitely worse. While Toyo does have some interesting ideas, they're often half baked, are executed poorly and end up having no real substance to them. I'm unsure if following Toriyama's script makes the stories better or worse, because at least Toriyama has a few good jokes and gags added into the story, while this arc is devoid of any humour.
There's been humor every chapter, I think this is the first one that didn't have any jokes. Jaco usually does a gag every chapter. The Boo fight was pretty much a gag for instance
Teleporting to Galactic King's bathroom was funny.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:22 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:43 pm
Block88 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:33 pm I find it annoying how toyo keeps treating Moro energy drain ability as magic where it just him absorbing you at a very fast rate.
You mean like the Pyrokinesis, Telekinesis, and Mind Reading he has already done. And last I checked most characters can't absorb energy using their own power ( Excluding Goku and Piccolo.) And no, the androids don't count since that is using technology to do so.
Telekinesis is something freeza and Zamasu and everybody else done mindreading was something goku did on namek, yakon was absorbing energy as well and yes androids count cause surprise they absorb energy as well, difference is moro is on steroids.
Show me actual magic

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:34 am

I remember there was a fake spoiler where Moro could play with their minds and make people see things that weren’t there. I actually thought that would have been kind of cool

Although the rest of this spoiler sounded really bad lol

I mean I do get the complaint so far nothing Moro has done seems really “magical” but like I said I do like that Goku and Vegeta are so out of their element here and so far this story seems to be against formula. I just hope it’s ending is too

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:49 am

Block88 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:22 am Show me actual magic
Locate the Dragon Balls without Radar or Scouter?
Last edited by Sani007 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Sani007 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:49 am
Locate the Dragon Balls without Radar or Schuster?
Talking about in combat

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:19 pm

Block88 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:22 am
Telekinesis is something freeza and Zamasu and everybody else done mindreading was something goku did on namek, yakon was absorbing energy as well and yes androids count cause surprise they absorb energy as well, difference is moro is on steroids.
Show me actual magic
You deciding that because other characters have used this ability that its not magic is misguided simply by the fact that even if he did things like reality warp of create objects by your own logic its still not magic because other characters have done it before. I'm not sure what your asking for.

Also my reasoning for why the androids don't count is still sound. Let me give you an example. Anyone can pick up a car using technology, say a fork lift or magnets. But if you see someone pick up a car with no difficult with their own strength, that would be pretty impressive.
Block88 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:11 pm
Talking about in combat
Talk about moving the goal post.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:29 pm

This chapter mostly felt to me like anime filler, you know with fights that seem to be there just to help get to the 20-minute-run. Forgettable moments and all. And the uselessness of Blue is starting to show up in the manga, which I don't like. Two Blues should've dealt with the fodder in two seconds at most, even supressed. Especially knowing their ki, with Moro around, might have a time limit.

The wish was kind of a let down and I feel there are just two ways to go with the U6 lookalikes: either they are fodder and serve to stall a little more this already stalled arc, or they are actually like their U6 counterparts and at least our Hit would be much more interesting than Moro, by what I've seen from Moro until now at least. I'd prefer the latter, not a useless Hit, even though he would be treated as a secondary character when he has everything going for him to get his own little arc or something not that big.
And I didn't like that Saganbo man using laserguns, what kind of threat is he suppose to be?

I enjoyed that the wish wasn't the same boring routine, I enjoyed Vegeta very much and I hope he learns something else from the Yadratians, not just IT.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:00 pm

Now that we're complaining that there aren't enough jokes? Really? Well that's patently, provably false, but even if there wasn't any humor, would that be a bad thing? Would it be a bad thing that the author is differentiating from Toriyama and finally pouring some of himself in the story?

This, to me, reads like someone trying to find something to hate, but not being able to find anything substantial. Look harder, because this arc is full of things to use to rip it apart that actually have merit.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:41 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:19 pm
Block88 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:22 am

Show me actual magic
You deciding that because other characters have used this ability that its not magic is misguided simply by the fact that even if he did things like reality warp of create objects by your own logic its still not magic because other characters have done it before. I'm not sure what your asking for.

Also my reasoning for why the androids don't count is still sound. Let me give you an example. Anyone can pick up a car using technology, say a fork lift or magnets. But if you see someone pick up a car with no difficult with their own strength, that would be pretty impressive.
Block88 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Talking about in combat
Talk about moving the goal post.
And you still don’t get it I want to see shit to make Moro feel unique and not just oh wow something I seen before but on steroid.
And nothing Moro done is unique outside of what airbending part of the planet half his stuff is shit we seen before without making feel new and fresh his energy drain is unique the only difference is that his is faster and doesn’t need to touch you.
He haven’t done anything unique to make him feel fresh besides the whole he’s not punch harder like most characters in this series.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:19 pm

People complaining they haven't seen anything diverse with Moro's magic yet simply don't understand the setup. Moro isn't going all out in battle is he? All he has been doing is focusing on his goal while showing glimpses of his ability. We simply have to wait until the final battle to see Moro's full hardware.
Liquir wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:39 am Additional/Extra pages of the DBS manga, shown at Jump Victory Carnival 2019.
Translation by twitter account @Cipher_db:
Nice.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Miracles wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:19 pm People complaining they haven't seen anything diverse with Moro's magic yet simply don't understand the setup. Moro isn't going all out in battle is he? All he has been doing is focusing on his goal while showing glimpses of his ability. We simply have to wait until the final battle to see Moro's full hardware.
Has any of the previous villains interpreted by Toyotaro surprised you with diversity in any way by the end of the battle?

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:40 pm

Block88 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:41 pm And you still don’t get it I want to see shit to make Moro feel unique and not just oh wow something I seen before but on steroid.
And nothing Moro done is unique outside of what airbending part of the planet half his stuff is shit we seen before without making feel new and fresh his energy drain is unique the only difference is that his is faster and doesn’t need to touch you.
He haven’t done anything unique to make him feel fresh besides the whole he’s not punch harder like most characters in this series.
You seem like the kind of person who will complain when Moro does use more versatile magic and call it an ass-pull even if its not. You just strike me as that kind of person.

And I see no reason for why Moro's magic needs to be go beyond this one technique. In fact, him showing off reality warping or illusionarry magic would make his absorption magic seem nearly useless in comparison, and would create an imbalance in the writing since why use absorption magic when you could just warp reality or trick them with illusions.

It plays into the narrative of the arc, so I see no need to fluff him up with unnecessary magic.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:58 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:37 pm
Miracles wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:19 pm People complaining they haven't seen anything diverse with Moro's magic yet simply don't understand the setup. Moro isn't going all out in battle is he? All he has been doing is focusing on his goal while showing glimpses of his ability. We simply have to wait until the final battle to see Moro's full hardware.
Has any of the previous villains interpreted by Toyotaro surprised you with diversity in any way by the end of the battle?
No. The previous villains were just muscle based. Moro's foundation is suppose to be magic. So Toyotaro has more room to play with this character.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:25 pm

If creativity was the primary interest of magic's emphasis this arc then why not get Piccolo involved or have Dai Kaioshin put his in-depth understanding of creation to use by using material sorcery? I don't mean by creating geometrical Katchin alloy blocks to fling at Moro. Manipulate the physics of the spacial region around Moro, encompass him with an airborne chemical agent, block photons from reaching his body somehow, and so on.

You know if Toyotaro is going to be bringing back the Yardratians in order to teach Vegeta some new techniques then that's leaving a precedent for more, isn't it?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:35 pm

Miracles wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:58 pm
No. The previous villains were just muscle based. Moro's foundation is suppose to be magic. So Toyotaro has more room to play with this character.
Zamasu wasn't just muscle based, he did a lot of flashy godly things on TV too, but in the manga he was reduced. There's a high chance Toyotaro's lack of imagination might slip him again

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:44 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:35 pm
Miracles wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:58 pm

Zamasu wasn't just muscle based, he did a lot of flashy godly things on TV too, but in the manga he was reduced. There's a high chance Toyotaro's lack of imagination might slip him again
Very possible. However, I believe due to the makeup of Moro's character, being magic based, Toyotaro has a chance to show if he is creative or not.
Last edited by Miracles on Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.