"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:16 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:45 pm I don't remember if anyone posted about it (at least, I didn't see anyone talking about it), but it seems that for some reason just now an interview with Toyotaro by '' The Journal of Mickey '' (published in May) has been released.

https://twitter.com/Oshinsu/status/1156168951656828928

- When he's inspired, he finishes 10 pages a day (what does he do the rest of the month then?)
Dude only gets 6 hours a night...He always has long work hours. There's much more to "finishing up" when you draw a comic.

Edit: I'm too busy to translate now but here is your answer :
JDM : Combien d’heures travailes-tu par semaine ?

Toyotaro : Les mangakas passent beaucoup de temps devant leur table à dessin. Je dors six heures par nuit. Le reste du temps, je suis au bureau. Je réfléchis à des scènes, je dessine, j’encre mes personnages. Je travaille beaucoup, mais, pour réussir à rendre quarante-cinq pages par mois, j’ai besoin d’assistants qui s’occupent des décors. Créer Dragon Ball Super est un travail d’équipe.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:53 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:16 am
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:45 pm I don't remember if anyone posted about it (at least, I didn't see anyone talking about it), but it seems that for some reason just now an interview with Toyotaro by '' The Journal of Mickey '' (published in May) has been released.

- When he's inspired, he finishes 10 pages a day (what does he do the rest of the month then?)
Dude only gets 6 hours a night...He always has long work hours. There's much more to "finishing up" when you draw a comic.

Toyotaro : Les mangakas passent beaucoup de temps devant leur table à dessin. Je dors six heures par nuit. Le reste du temps, je suis au bureau. Je réfléchis à des scènes, je dessine, j’encre mes personnages. Je travaille beaucoup, mais, pour réussir à rendre quarante-cinq pages par mois, j’ai besoin d’assistants qui s’occupent des décors. Créer Dragon Ball Super est un travail d’équipe.
Yes, I had not seen the full answers (just key moments of the interview). He only sleeps 6 hours and spends the rest of his time working in the office, that's hard (even though it's a monthly manga). He draw things for various other media too like Toriyama did (JUMP Victory Carnival for example)

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:18 pm

It seems that in DBS manga volume 10, we have a special chapter telling the story of Cranberry.

He was one of Freeza's soldiers who went to Namekusei to get the Dragon Balls. He was killed with a kick from Zarbon , but was resurrected with Popo's wish for Porunga, fled Namekusei's explosion with Vegeta's ship and was eventually arrested by the Galactic Patrol.

And some new images of this volume

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:13 pm

That's awesome, love it. Hope it doesn't cause any plot holes.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:40 pm

nato25 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:13 pm That's awesome, love it. Hope it doesn't cause any plot holes.
The Cranberry backstory seems to be fully consistent with the original manga. The only thing that seems a bit strange is that after fleeing Namek he never discarded his broken helmet, but I guess he had his reasons (and it has its uses), and you don't always have to explain absolutely everything.
The story has brought renewed interest in the "Who was resurrected by Popo's wish to Shenron" question, with people asking "What about Nappa" again, for example, but as far as I can tell it doesn't provide any new answers or disprove any old answers.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:22 pm

The story already explained all that when the Namekians Vegeta killed didn’t get revived. He was acting squarely in his own interest from his introduction.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:00 pm

TKA wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:22 pm The story already explained all that when the Namekians Vegeta killed didn’t get revived. He was acting squarely in his own interest from his introduction.
Yeah, Vegeta went to Earth so he could use the Dragon Balls to obtain immortality, which we later learned he intended to beat Freeza with.

But that's actually a moot point - when Popo makes the wish to Shenron, he actually references Namek - not by name, by referring to those killed by Freeza and his men on "a planet far away". And then when Shenron grants the wish, he outright says he resurrected the people on Namek slain by Freeza and his men.

Nobody on Earth would have been revived even if Vegeta and Nappa were considered Freeza's men (and we see that Ten isn't brought back by this).
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:49 pm

Gosh, I really hope Vegeta is going to learn something better than IT on Yardrat... I mean why we need other character to have Goku's signature technique? Vegeta said on the manga that the Yardrat people have plenty of other weird techniques, I hope he's looking for these and not just freaking teleportation.
ankokudaishogun wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:29 pm 2. Goku reverting to SS3 atuomatically after SSGod fails, like God were a power-up of SS3.
This seems more like a Toyotaro fluff. I bet if he had the context to draw Goku using showing all his transformations at once, he would do it. But, stupid enough he doesn't grasp the fact that SS1-3 are not related to God-Blue.
AnimeNation101 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:10 am So Kid Buu got a larger percentage of the Daikaioshin’s godly power potential than Majin Buu. I’m going to assume this extends to Uub. So now Uub has a large godly-powered potential.
Well, that kinda fix the Goku's interest for a reincarnated character that he so long had surpassed. I can buy it.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:06 pm

I find it interesting that Vegeta was able to discern the unperceivable internal nuances of Earth's fighters reading ki without devices and then copy it in the following arc but now apparently there's discussions as to whether it's just the same teleportation technique he's seen time and time again that he'll be learning from the Yardratians. Surely it's not all that more complicated than the former.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:42 pm

I feel like Merus is going to die during the final battle against Moro and Jaco will head to Planet Vampa and recruit Broly as a new Elite galactic Patrolmen

I just see that happening along down the road in Super

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:32 am

Lionel wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:06 pm I find it interesting that Vegeta was able to discern the unperceivable internal nuances of Earth's fighters reading ki without devices and then copy it in the following arc but now apparently there's discussions as to whether it's just the same teleportation technique he's seen time and time again that he'll be learning from the Yardratians. Surely it's not all that more complicated than the former.
There's a clear difference in tier. The first is an uncommon technique, which doesn't seem to have any special requirements(Namekian children could do it).
The later is a worst version of a technique only some Gods/Attendants use. That's like a hand of people in the whole Universe.

There's also the fact that Goku, an ultra prodigy, was only able to be taught this technique in the year he spent there. A whole year, just for that. In less time he learned both the Kaioken and Genki Dama.

It's much more complicated and unless you're a freak of nature(Pure Boo), something not learn able just by observing.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:30 am

Lionel wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:06 pm I find it interesting that Vegeta was able to discern the unperceivable internal nuances of Earth's fighters reading ki without devices and then copy it in the following arc but now apparently there's discussions as to whether it's just the same teleportation technique he's seen time and time again that he'll be learning from the Yardratians. Surely it's not all that more complicated than the former.
Goku literally dematerializes and travels through another dimension. It's definitely not as simple as being in tune enough to read other's ki lol

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:04 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:16 am

That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:18 pm

So...who wants to wager that Freeza will come into play at some point and recruit Moro's gang into his army after he's been defeated

also is Merus secretly in cahoots with Moro or does he know the Time -skip technique or one more advanced than that one?

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:45 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:49 pm
ankokudaishogun wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:29 pm 2. Goku reverting to SS3 atuomatically after SSGod fails, like God were a power-up of SS3.
This seems more like a Toyotaro fluff. I bet if he had the context to draw Goku using showing all his transformations at once, he would do it. But, stupid enough he doesn't grasp the fact that SS1-3 are not related to God-Blue.
My personal head cannon was that since they were trying to stay transformed while loosing energy, their body just went to the next available transformation as far as power consumption goes.

This is just my head cannon, although if there is ever a guidebook (which let’s be honest there will be guidebooks)
this is probably what they will go with.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:09 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:45 pm
Noah wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:49 pm
My personal head cannon was that since they were trying to stay transformed while loosing energy, their body just went to the next available transformation as far as power consumption goes.

This is just my head cannon, although if there is ever a guidebook (which let’s be honest there will be guidebooks)
this is probably what they will go with.
I agree. It's the only explanation that makes sense. People are just manufacturing dumb reasons to dislike the manga or are stupid and can't understand things unless they are explicitly spelled out like they are 5 year olds. (Although hypocritically there's an overlap on the Venn diagram with these people also claiming to hate exposition dumps or too many word balloons.)
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:18 am

I like the confirmation that SS3 burns less energy than SSG/SSB.

All the SS3 haters be like "WELL IT BURNS TOO MUCH STAMINA" as a reason to hate the form, as though that'd still be an issue at this point.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:53 am

Dragon Wukong wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:18 am I like the confirmation that SS3 burns less energy than SSG/SSB.

All the SS3 haters be like "WELL IT BURNS TOO MUCH STAMINA" as a reason to hate the form, as though that'd still be an issue at this point.
That's like saying it's a confirmation that SSGod is the next level (ala ss4) in the SS lineup because of how Goku went from SS3 to God against Toppo :roll:
It's not a confirmation of anything, it's just to emphasize the progress in power/order of the forms. What Toyo did shouldn't even be a thing, SSG has no relation to SS3

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:06 am

Dragon Wukong wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:18 am I like the confirmation that SS3 burns less energy than SSG/SSB.

As much as I love the form, (perhaps my favorite form with SSJG and SSJ4 being the next two), SSJ3 is the most forced increase in power that you can possibly have, resulting in use of 100% of your potential (at least your standard potential, as hidden potential plays a major role in the series, with examples of Ultimate and SSJ4).

It is tiring, and burns your energy, but damn does it look cool. Which is also why I loved the fact that Cumber kinda introduced a new SSJ3 variant and stickied to that path instead of using SSJ4 or some unique Evil Saiyan form.

And I also believe that since SSJ3 and SSJ4 have received the least power-ups, a new variant like "Mastered" or "Empowered" SSJ3, perhaps even a "Super Full Power" variant superior to Cumber's "Full Power" SSJ3 needs to be created. Just like there is Max Power SSJ4 (indirectly it exists and is stronger than regular SSJ4) and Ultra Full Power SSJ4.

I can go on talking about SSJ3 for days. Broly might be able to attain these forms. They aren't OP like the God forms and they look good on him (Legendary variants of Z Broly). I mean 8×Full Power Super Saiyan Broly, wouldn't mean much against fusions of strong beings.
P O W E R

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:58 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:53 am

That's like saying it's a confirmation that SSGod is the next level (ala ss4) in the SS lineup because of how Goku went from SS3 to God against Toppo :roll:
It's not a confirmation of anything, it's just to emphasize the progress in power/order of the forms. What Toyo did shouldn't even be a thing, SSG has no relation to SS3
His body was literally going down in forms that consume less energy because the energy was being drained from his body. If that's not confirmation that SS3 uses less energy than SSG I don't know what is.

Why do people want SS3 to be unusable? The stamina isn't an issue as an SS3 anymore for Goku, especially since SSB was outright stated to have a ridiculous stamina toll in the manga, and he managed to overcome that too.