"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:49 am

P O W E R

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:04 am

Never would have thought that Toyotarou would be using BOTH the anime and the DB Online (AKA Toriyama's) designs! :lol:

viewtopic.php?p=1611065#p1611065

What a way to play with the fans. :clap:
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:18 am

I'm genuinely surprised that the entire raw chapter got leaked this time before its official release in NA, as opposed to just a handful of clipped smartphone-looking pages. I thought Japan was cracking down harder on leakers but hmm...
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:52 am

Liquir wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:55 am Rough translation of the chapter:
Thank you for the rough translation and hope you can continue to provide these in the near future you make the events that unfold in the chapter more interesting than it seems

So now it's Whis > Merus > Goku > Beerus (people who know or have used UI in U7)

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:22 am

How long till we get Spirit Saiyans as new transformations. Gotta sell those toys.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:30 am

Rakurai wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:04 am Never would have thought that Toyotarou would be using BOTH the anime and the DB Online (AKA Toriyama's) designs! :lol:
Do we know what's the explanation on this? Are the anime!Yardrats a different generation from the DBO ones?

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:10 am

Xeogran wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:30 am
Rakurai wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:04 am Never would have thought that Toyotarou would be using BOTH the anime and the DB Online (AKA Toriyama's) designs! :lol:
Do we know what's the explanation on this? Are the anime!Yardrats a different generation from the DBO ones?
Seems like the DBO ones are the elders/leaders.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:25 am

batistabus wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:18 pm Yardrat designs revealed...

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1174854118768177152
Looks like it's about to be 'Attack of Killer Yardrats'
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:38 am

why didn't piccolo just kill those minions?

also vegeta is going to learn IT but how does that help against moro?

also why wasn't meerus in the TOP if he knows UI now lol .

I wanted to see something linking moro frieza and beerus

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:23 am

Seeing as the manga is finally doing something interesting with the lore, it seems that it's time for me to give some thoughts.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:08 am

Xeogran wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:30 am
It's simple here you have two subspecies of the planet Yardrat like there is different species on planet earth. Look at Dragon Ball earth you have Yamcha that is an Human earthling and you have the King of earth that is Anthropomorphic dog. Evolution granted planet Yardrat two have two sentients species.

And big kudo to Toyotaro to have made my wish comes true _
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:39 am

Lots of interesting stuff in this chapter, wow. The two Yardrat types, this Spirit Control, the Bootleg Time Chamber, whatever the hell Merus is up to... well, that last one has been teased from the start, but still, it all definitely leaves me wanting more.
It's also great to see Piccolo in action. I'm (almost) always a fan of giving the non-Goku and Vegeta cast something to do.
Seeing the Yardrat copy himself and then Vegeta wanting to learn their skills makes me think of this one Japanese Broly meme video where Vegeta does that exact thing and then fights Broly. So if we end up seeing like 50 Vegetas versus Moro... well, you know.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:01 pm

So it was stated that the Ginyu Force were actually attacking Yardrat. In Z, it was assumed that Yardrat was their next target since the ship was programmed to go there. With this new info, I'm guessing the Ginyu Force were already in the middle of destroying Yardrat, but were called off by Freeza to come to Namek instead. They would've likely returned after handling the tasks on Namek.

Good chapter.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm a simple man... I see Piccolo I check the chapter out...
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:11 pm

So what is Merus?

1. A fallen angel (possibly from one of the erased universes)
2. Whis's predecessor
3. another race where UI is natural to them
4. Avatar being for Whis/Beerus ..... next step to helping Goku train
5. Makaioshin ...... the true villain of the arc

*****sidenote, wonder what his ears look like? If they are pointy, is he a Kaioshin?*****

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:12 pm

jplaya2023 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:38 am why didn't piccolo just kill those minions?

Piccolo is way softer than in Dragon Ball remember. He didn't even quickly kill gero remember.

Vegeta learning new techniques is what will help, not just IT. Saying that, the chapter just makes it seem like spirit is literally another word for ki/Chi so I'm a bit confused there honestly.

Merus obviously doesn't want to show his power, hence using that new time chamber looking place.

And for the link you're talking about it still very well may come, but Moro was way before Freeza's time and I can't be sure on the time line with Beerus but I'd say he was before his time as well.

Really cool chapter, I am hoping this gets adapted into anime after all.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:18 pm

I would go wild if we happen to have a new Super Saiyan transformation based on the Spirit thingy and more so if the colour is whte lmao. :lol:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Super Murjin wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:11 pm So what is Merus?

1. A fallen angel (possibly from one of the erased universes)
2. Whis's predecessor
3. another race where UI is natural to them
4. Avatar being for Whis/Beerus ..... next step to helping Goku train
5. Makaioshin ...... the true villain of the arc

*****sidenote, wonder what his ears look like? If they are pointy, is he a Kaioshin?*****
Avatar Idea reminds me of what DragonGarowlee did in the Yamcha reincarnation storyline

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Random and scattered thoughts of Chapter 52:

- The Yardrat reveal caught me off guard BIG TIME. Fantastic to see that the lore of Dragon Ball Online has integrated into official material.
- Very intrigued with the introduction of Spirit Control. Fingers crossed Vegeta uses that mechanic in more than just a "I can hit harder than before capacity". Although some of the gimmicks possible with Spirit Control aren't new, I still have hope that it can lead to broadening Vegeta's fighting style.
- Piccolo getting involved in the plot was just what was needed, as it provides another perspective for the narrative to evolve.
- Bulma getting involved is also a major plus and doesn't feel shoehorned in.
- I don't know why, but Mr Satan being around just to hold Bra made me laugh
- The dynamic between Meerus and Goku was training was great. You really got the vibe of two experienced martial artists exchanging their knowledge of combat with each other, and it was all wonderfully weaved into moving the plot forward, while also subtly developing Meerus' character. Great stuff.
- The reveal of their being another Room Of Spirit and Time was stellar. And it works even better than how it was offhandedly introduced in the original story because of how Goku's interactions with Meerus result in him trusting Goku more to give him the extra resources he will need to tackle Moro. Character development leading to intriguing plot revelations is how all good storytelling should be.
- I'm not sure how to feel about Meerus knowing Ultra Instinct. On one hand, this reveal, couple with Meerus stating he's going to fight at full power is a wonderful hook to keep you invested in the next chapter. On the other hand, this will further fuel the idea that Meerus is perhaps a descendant of an Angel or some shit like. And I would hate for that to be the case. Just let Meerus be an exceptionally competent martial artist.
- The character writing for, well, everyone, was fantastic.

This chapter is by leaps and bounds Toyotaro's best work on Dragon Ball ever. This chapter had great expansion of lore, wonderfully nuanced character writing, great usage of cast, and a damn good cliffhanger.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:57 pm

nato25 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:12 pm
jplaya2023 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:38 am why didn't piccolo just kill those minions?

Piccolo is way softer than in Dragon Ball remember. He didn't even quickly kill gero remember.

Vegeta learning new techniques is what will help, not just IT. Saying that, the chapter just makes it seem like spirit is literally another word for ki/Chi so I'm a bit confused there honestly.

Merus obviously doesn't want to show his power, hence using that new time chamber looking place.

And for the link you're talking about it still very well may come, but Moro was way before Freeza's time and I can't be sure on the time line with Beerus but I'd say he was before his time as well.

Really cool chapter, I am hoping this gets adapted into anime after all.
I am fairly certain that Moro isn't that old. He did face the Grand Supreme Kai, but remember that he was still of the same generation (that's what's supposed to be imo) with Shin, the Eastern Supreme Kai. And even if he was a generation or 2 older, he wouldn't be as old as Elder Supreme Kai. 15 generations prior. Seeing Shin's initials hock, one can assume that he is damn old, older than the Daikaioshin too. And he was sealed by Beerus all that time ago.

GoDs are meant to be more permanent I assume. And as for the life link (despite U7 having the case of multiple Supreme Kais) one can assume that each Supreme Kai received a Supreme Kai Apprentice sometime before they retired and trained them in the ways of the Creation Gods, promoting them to the position before retiring, thus the GoD remains active. The case with Zamasu and Gowasu is a good example of such a relationship.

Anyway, a link between all 3 would be very nice, truly. Another one of Cold's stories, the prisoner Moro, who is strong but not an immediate threat like Beerus or Majin Buu. (cough, let Cooler be introduced in the Canon to link all these pieces, cough).
P O W E R