"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:44 am

I've seen those spoiler pages. I'm gonna wait until the full chapter comes out (maybe get my hands on the new V-Jump if it's not sold out right away like it usually is) to give my full thoughts on the story, but tbh I could care less about old gang round-ups or characters like Yamcha/Chaotzu getting redeemed if it's anything like how it happened in RoF.

Right now, I'm more interested in seeing the fruits of Goku & Vegeta's training, as well as where Whis has taken Merus now.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:12 am

I don’t know about you guys, and it might be completely random😂 But i absolutely LOVE the designs of these random aliens Goku encounters during space! Totally Toriyama/Toyotaro like! Love it.! The way it’s drawn is just really beautiful and artistic, yet very simple at the same time! Really cute and unique lol I also think Goku is being drawn really well since he ended his training.

Buutenks and Buuhan!😎

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:31 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:12 am I don’t know about you guys, and it might be completely random😂 But i absolutely LOVE the designs of these random aliens Goku encounters during space! Totally Toriyama/Toyotaro like! Love it.! The way it’s drawn is just really beautiful and artistic, yet very simple at the same time!
I really love their design! :thumbup:
My favourite part of the new chapter.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:18 pm

Damn, I just really enjoyed this chapter.. maybe it's not for some, but I just loved the characters interactions and showings. So glad to see Yamcha not being shit all over. Damn it's refreshing. Yeah I get it's annoying waiting another month for something to happen with Goku and Vegeta, but I just loved seeing these characters do their thing. Looks like it's now time for Moro to trash everybody. Let's see how good 17 truly is after the tourney.. we never really got a concrete showing in the manga.

Also that last scene with Goku gave me strong kid Goku vibes..loved it.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:36 pm

Very good chapter. Perfectly shows how much DBS was lacking without all these characters.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 pm

Why didn't the Z-fighters have Yamcha guard 17's island while Goten and Trunks fight Moro's goons? It really is starting to seem like the writers have no interest in the kid saiyans despite them being some of the strongest fighters.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 pm

Good chapter but I do have a problem with how some of the characters are written, particularly Android 18. What's with her only fighting when money is involved? She fought with Beerus and was willing to fight with Frieza, all for free. Makes no sense that she's like this right now when the earth is in danger. Chiaotzu's unsure if he can still fight or not? What does this guy even do all day long? Wash Tien's clothes?
Bergamo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 pm Why didn't the Z-fighters have Yamcha guard 17's island while Goten and Trunks fight Moro's goons? It really is starting to seem like the writers have no interest in the kid saiyans despite them being some of the strongest fighters.
You think Yamcha would be able to handle the Cell Jrs that are living on 17's island? Highly doubt he would.
Last edited by DestructoDisc on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 pm

You have to love the mutual cause and effort everyone has in participating here. It's just grunt work but they're each doing what they can to mitigate damage caused to the people and planet. Yamcha especially has been exemplary so far simply because it's the first time in ages where he's been involved in a fight, let alone one where he wasn't humiliated badly by a grossly superior opponent. Here's hoping the fights aren't just skimmed over because we may not get another opportunity like this for years.

Did Gohan and Piccolo train together throughout the 2 month respite? It's really impressive to see them coordinating their attacks together and capitalising on one another's abilities. Something that hasn't really been brought up is the new technique Gohan displayed. It's some type of dim electrified shield that can be geometrically altered and repositioned. Where and how do you suppose Gohan acquired that technique? Hopefully this lends some credence to Gohan's ingenuity.

Also, is this the first time we've witnessed Piccolo use the Special Beam Cannon in the manga? Its use has been largely relegated to the anime until now.

I hope Vegeta and Goku don't arrive onto the scene too quickly. They would predictably take everyone down and the conflict would just quickly transition over to the final climax against Moro. Whatever technique Vegeta is straining to grasp and Goku's peculiar difficulty in locating Earth to teleport at can keep them preoccupied for another 2 chapters maybe.

Does anyone else get the impression that #17 and #18 are making an appearance in large part to be served up as demonstration fodder for Moro? Right now I'm more interested in how Toyotaro intends for them to taken down outside of the obvious "Moro observed energy from enough people to overpower them through straightforward means". Also the attitude quirk of #17 about his not wanting to see Earth devastated yet being absent from the fighting up until the TOP, where even then he only participated as a gesture of obligational integrity for Krillin removing his self-destruct bomb, has me wondering if that event caused him to develop a protective appreciation for the larger world.

It was a good chapter all in all. I just hope the follow-up goes into more detail about the humans' respective fights.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:48 pm

A decent chapter. Not much happened, which is expected at this point as the manga is going at a much slower pace compared to its previous arcs (for the better or worse, you decide).

Pros:
- Yamcha finally getting some action is nice to see. After being treated like a complete joke for quite some time, him being able to participate in the battle in a way that makes sense for both him and the story (fighting fodder) is great.

- The Gohan and Piccolo team-up and combos were also great as well, love when they do stuff like that.

- 17 and 18 being immune to Moro's (or in this case Seven-Three's) energy absorption technique was clever, and I am interested on what they can do when they actually face Moro himself.

Cons:
- Toyotaro is still consistently reusing panels, to the point that it's so obviously noticeable. This isn't anything new, but it is somewhat tiresome to continue seeing them over and over again.

- A lot of the designs for Moro and his troops are still meh, especially Seven-Three; it's a really bad looking design. I think i'd be more fine with Toriyama being the one who continues to design characters tbh. Toyo can design some good characters here and there, but it's usually hit or miss.

- Goten and Trunks being away from battle comes off as no surprise to me, given that modern Dragon Ball just doesn't want them to be doing anything of any importance for some strange reason. The last time they were even relevant in a fight was against Beerus, and that was barely anything, so you might as well just say Boo Arc or the 2008 special.

But yeah, this arc is still pretty good for the most part.

mrsilentq

Post by mrsilentq » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:53 pm

Really enjoying this arc still, but I do agree with some of the issues above. Seems lazy/unnecessary/wrong to write off Goten & Trunks. They should be just as prominent in Super as Gohan was throughout Z. And yeah Android 18 is very shallow lately.
With that said, I'm still very entertained and am excited to see what Vegeta's new ability will be! I'm guessing it will somehow compliment Ultra Instinct very nicely, but can't fathom specifically what it is yet.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Even though I understand why they need 17 and 18 I was disappointed in no Goten and Trunks

I think they should have written out Roshi. Have him watch the island. Having him want to fight the female warriors again just gets old.

As for the 18 thing that I don’t mind as much. I am absolutely sure she would fight for Earth for money. I think a character like 18 will say one thing but not really mean it. Though Bulma paying her probably also isn’t a big deal for Bulma.

But my favorite part was definitely the team work between Gohan and Piccolo in this chapter

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:59 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:36 pm Very good chapter. Perfectly shows how much DBS was lacking without all these characters.
This. We really needed this.
I'm really happy for yamcha too. It's great to see him again in action :D

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:11 pm

Random and scattered thoughts of Chapter 56:

- As I expected, Moro's cronies are practically no threat at all. Toyotaro did a terrible job of building them up as threat, bar OG73-I.
- Gohan and Piccolo teaming up has become old hat. It may make some fans creams their pants in excitement, but I don't care for it anymore in the same way I don't care for Goku and Vegeta teaming up... it's been done to death and has lost its lustre.
- Nice to see Yamcha fight for the fist time in what feels like forever.
- #18 continuing her trend of only fighting for money is annoying. I'm glad #17 called her out on it (kinda).
- Poor Goten and Trunks. You know how far they've fallen, when even the find a way for Yamcha can get in on the action and not them. Why can't the Cell Jrs that #17 tamed looked after the island instead of them?
- Goku getting lost was a funny gag.

Overall thoughts... this chapter kind of felt like a waste of time.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:45 pm

After being ignored in RoF and humiliated by his own friends in the ToP arc, Yamcha finally gets to join the crew and fight! THANK YOU Toyotaro!!!! After him not being included in the U7 team, I thought for sure that was it for him in DBS. So happy seeing him and Chaozu fight with the others.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:02 pm

Eh kind of a 'nothing chapter", which honestly can be said about a lot of this arc but i'm still enjoying it for the most part, its hasn't been an absolute blast at all but there have been worse.

One thing I wish Toei and Toyotaro would be more discrete with is the overt Fan Service, having the gang all line up like that, was supposed to be a "HELL YEAH" moment but for me was just like, cool he's trying to shut everyone up by giving majority of the characters "Shine Time", yet I still see folks complaining about Goten and Trunks lol.. I'm sure we'll see them at some point, the convicts are spreading across the planet.

I also wish Toyo, would spend less time on minute details that don't matter, we didn't need 8 panels of Gohan dodging 73's energy blasts, 3 or 4 is plenty to get the point across, it leaves a bit more room for exposition.

I do like that Vegeta isn't rushing off just cuz he's aware of whats happening, he wants to master the new technique as much as possible before rushing to save the day.. Mean while Goku is still stuck.

I have a feeling it'll be at least two more months before we seen how the Gods are handling Merus' meddling.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:15 pm

I loved this chapter, this whole arc has been great. I'm hoping to see the Z fighters remain members of the GP permanently, maybe we'll get a Galactic Patrol Z spin off series.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:17 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 pm
Bergamo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 pm Why didn't the Z-fighters have Yamcha guard 17's island while Goten and Trunks fight Moro's goons? It really is starting to seem like the writers have no interest in the kid saiyans despite them being some of the strongest fighters.
You think Yamcha would be able to handle the Cell Jrs that are living on 17's island? Highly doubt he would.
Yeah, those cell jrs don't need to rest or sleep so they can spend all day training. Just imagine how strong that makes them
goku the krump dancer wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:02 pm One thing I wish Toei and Toyotaro would be more discrete with is the overt Fan Service, having the gang all line up like that, was supposed to be a "HELL YEAH" moment but for me was just like, cool he's trying to shut everyone up by giving majority of the characters "Shine Time", yet I still see folks complaining about Goten and Trunks lol.. I'm sure we'll see them at some point, the convicts are spreading across the planet.
What TOEI should do is establish that PTSD exists in the DB Universe and retroactively use that as an excuse to trim the cast down to like four people and perma bench the kids
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:53 pm

There are a many people online saying that this was one of the best chapters in the arc so far, and... I just can't understand that opinion at all. Aside from Yamcha's reappearance (where all he did was take down fodder for a few panels) and maybe Gohan and Piccolo's combo moves, what was really special about this chapter?

This arc is pretty good yes, but this chapter wasn't amazing in the slightest.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:19 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:53 pm There are a many people online saying that this was one of the best chapters in the arc so far, and... I just can't understand that opinion at all. Aside from Yamcha's reappearance (where all he did was take down fodder for a few panels) and maybe Gohan and Piccolo's combo moves, what was really special about this chapter?

Some Dragon Ball fans are suckers for the supporting earthling cast getting to beat up people. Even if it's just stalling for time. One of the aspects that is universally praised about Resurrection F was the supporting earthling cast getting do something. It was the same deal with the Universal Survival arc.

I honestly think the chapter was a waste of time as it added nothing to to plot, even if the action was serviceable to a degree. But if you give some Dragon Ball fans an inch, they will take a fucking mile and praise it as being one of the best things ever.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:19 pm
superfan2024 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:53 pm There are a many people online saying that this was one of the best chapters in the arc so far, and... I just can't understand that opinion at all. Aside from Yamcha's reappearance (where all he did was take down fodder for a few panels) and maybe Gohan and Piccolo's combo moves, what was really special about this chapter?

Some Dragon Ball fans are suckers for the supporting earthling cast getting to beat up people. Even if it's just stalling for time. One of the aspects that is universally praised about Resurrection F was the supporting earthling cast getting do something. It was the same deal with the Universal Survival arc.

I honestly think the chapter was a waste of time as it added nothing to to plot, even if the action was serviceable to a degree. But if you give some Dragon Ball fans an inch, they will take a fucking mile and praise it as being one of the best things ever.
:lol:
Pretty much
If the casts was gonna do something regardless of how small it is folks would praise it like hot cakes.
That what happens when the show been goku and Vegeta dependent you take what you would get