"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:25 pm

Block88 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:39 pm Pretty much
If the casts was gonna do something regardless of how small it is folks would praise it like hot cakes.
That what happens when the show been goku and Vegeta dependent you take what you would get
You're missing the other half of that. True we're grateful that the insignificant four(Tenshinhan, Krillin, Yamcha, and Chiaotzu) get to do something because they've been jobbers for so long but we're also just grateful to be getting a break from GokuxVegeta show. That's not me saying I don't like those characters, it's just... they've been doing the same plot with them since Cell. Remember "are they still on Namek?" Well that's where a lot of people are with VegetaxGoku except it's "is Vegeta still trying to catch up with Goku?"
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:33 pm

This chapter has Yamcha doing something without looking useless so this is automatically a great chapter to me.

I doubt this will be an easy fight for the Androids against 73 just simply because he was getting his arse kicked in this chapter so it happening 2 chapters in a row will be a bit rubbish. Moro's gang has to fight back surely?

I wonder what Piccolo and Gohan will do now. Will they take on Moro first when he arrives or against a stronger threat in Moro's gang? If they fight together again it needs to be like this chapter. If they mix up the teamups between characters it would be great as well.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:25 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:25 pm
Block88 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:39 pm Pretty much
If the casts was gonna do something regardless of how small it is folks would praise it like hot cakes.
That what happens when the show been goku and Vegeta dependent you take what you would get
You're missing the other half of that. True we're grateful that the insignificant four(Tenshinhan, Krillin, Yamcha, and Chiaotzu) get to do something because they've been jobbers for so long but we're also just grateful to be getting a break from GokuxVegeta show. That's not me saying I don't like those characters, it's just... they've been doing the same plot with them since Cell. Remember "are they still on Namek?" Well that's where a lot of people are with VegetaxGoku except it's "is Vegeta still trying to catch up with Goku?"
I like this two as well and your not wrong regarding those two characters there’s not much interest between them besides what brand of hair color going to get

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:36 pm

I'm really liking the Moro arc thus far

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:54 pm

-Chapter 56-

This is how I wanted ROF to be! More Z-Fighters fighting and the henchmen spreading across the Earth. It makes the situation more chaotic and fun.

Toyotaro is so on-fire that even Chaozu and Yamcha finally came to the frontlines for the first time, since Saiyan arc / Cell arc respectively.
I don't care about Chaozu, but Yamcha is more than welcome. He should already have been there in ROF. I never like the idea of bringing Roshi back.

I'm still expecting Trunks to fight Saganbo, since Vegeta said even Trunks could beat him if he didn't have Moro's help and hopefully that turns out to be foreshadowing. I will trust Toyotaro since he's been on a roll.

Seems like Moro or some of his troops coming across Freeza won't happen though.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:56 pm

Everyone excited for the fan service where Yamcha reenters the martial world but the result is just Toyotaro immediately copying a panel from the Saiyan arc and Yamcha performing a single kick.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 pm

Makaioshin wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:56 pm Everyone excited for the fan service where Yamcha reenters the martial world but the result is just Toyotaro immediately copying a panel from the Saiyan arc and Yamcha performing a single kick.
It's because Yamcha doing something cool is new in this era. Toyotaro copying panels happens every time.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:48 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 pm It's because Yamcha doing something cool is new in this era. Toyotaro copying panels happens every time.
That is what I mean. Is he doing something cool or is it just the idea that he could be doing something cool just by being there? And Toyotaro doing it every time...that is just lowered expectations then.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:53 pm

Why are people in this thread shitting on other people being happy about the chapter because they like Yamcha? Lmao, what the fuck.

Personally the reason why this chapter is the only one so far in this arc that has me excited is because of the return of Yamcha and Chaozu. I grew up with the original cast (was 5 or 6 when I was introduced to episode 1 of Dragon Ball) so obviously with the couple of reruns of Dragon Ball on RTL II prior to Z, I became pretty attached to the earthlings. Unlike people who grew up with the dub, I was a devastated kid during the Saiyan saga when they were murdered. Fast forward 20 years and Yamcha's been the living meme of Dragon Ball for many years. When DBS returned and the earthlings returned in RoF, Yamcha was replaced by Muten Roshi, of all people. Furthermore, in the ToP he was seen as a joke by his own friends, something that hasn't happened before but is happening now because of his meme status IRL. Two times he could (and probably should) have been included as a fighter in DBS, he was shafted. Obviously because I'm a Dragon Ball fan, I still enjoyed DBS. Still, those decisions did piss me off.

So far this arc had been alright. Goku & Vegeta vs an enemy, same old same old. Occasionally, Krillin and Piccolo are there to help. Then out of nowhere, Yamcha AND Chaozu, two of the OG Z-Fighters are right there, alongside Piccolo, Roshi, Tenshinhan and Krillin. Sure, he had one kick if you want to put it that way. But come the fuck on. Both of them are back as FIGHTERS and so far in the chapter, Yamcha was pretty cool. That's more than enough reason for me to like this chapter. As someone who likes Yamcha and the earthlings, I definitely needed this in Dragon Ball Super, even if it's just for a couple of chapters.

NormalHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NormalHero » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:58 pm

i really want to know the original name of the masenko and makankosappo combined attack.. i think.. masenkosappo?

anyway i love the return of yamcha.
I think trunks and goten will return in the future. For now the isn't need of more saiyans and super saiyans.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:18 pm

Nice. That was a really well-executed chapter.

Strong opening. Three and a half pages without talking that somehow managed to set the stage, build drama, and get a solid laugh out of me. The character acting here was really impressive, and I think it speaks to Toyotaro's ability as a comic artist.

Really loved the two-page spread. What a crew. Glad to see Jaco (reluctantly) standing among them, where he's earned his spot at this point. I think the fact that Yamcha and Chaotzu are present for this but not RoF makes sense given that they were given two months to polish their abilities.

Boo is back on earth. I read someone's thought that perhaps, if things get rough, they might put him in the RoSaT until he wakes up. I could see that happening.

Having the Dragon Team defend Earth's citizens and treasures around the globe is a perfect role for them. There's no illusion that any of them would be able to stop Moro, but they can at least play their part in minimizing the damages until Goku and Vegeta get there.

I hope we get more of Tenshinhan/Chaotzu vs Quoitur next month...purely for fanservice reasons. Ten is one of my favorites from the original cast, and I have a soft spot for Magetta.

It's been said to death at this point, but it's good to have you back, Yamcha. He seems especially well-suited to his role in this. I'm talking about his dynamic with the Galactic Patrol. It felt like a Jedi leading troopers in the Clone Wars.

I'm cautiously interested in seeing what happens next with Kame-sen'nin....and I like his "pretending to be strict to hide his true motives" attitude (like we saw when they found out flying was prohibited during the ToP).

Gohan vs Piccolo was such a treat. I don't think I really have anything new to add to this conversation, although I am grateful we didn't get a blatant line about how Gohan is smart because he's a scholar or that Piccolo is a genius tactician. Their actions spoke for themselves.

Excited to see how long No. 17 and 18 stay in this.

Goku lost in space asking for directions is hilarious.

In the Jaco the Galactic Patrolman manga, Jaco states that there are 38 members of the Galactic Patrol. I'm not feeling up to counting at the moment, but I wonder if Toyotaro has adhered to this? This counts all of the non-combatants at HQ and Merus. Even if the number were higher than 38, the number could certainly have changed since the events of JtGP.

Speaking of patrolmen, this one appears to be based off of Stitch from Lilo & Stitch. Toyotaro's a huge Disney fan, and so am I, so I got a kick out of this:

As for Goten and Trunks...I think people need to take it easy and understand why the adults don't want them to participate. When Goku set Gotenks into motion, it was literally their only option, and it mostly backfired specifically because the kids weren't mature enough. If they would ever be strong or useful enough to make a difference, they would probably be brought in. They still very well might show up in this arc.
FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:54 pm I'm still expecting Trunks to fight Saganbo, since Vegeta said even Trunks could beat him if he didn't have Moro's help and hopefully that turns out to be foreshadowing. I will trust Toyotaro since he's been on a roll.
Haha, that'd be great. I wouldn't be surprised at this point...pretty much all that appeared to be foreshadowing in this arc was, including a joke about not inviting Yamcha...

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:26 pm

Jaetinh wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:53 pm Why are people in this thread shitting on other people being happy about the chapter because they like Yamcha? Lmao, what the fuck.
Because the majority of the fandom sees the DB era characters as a waste of time. It's unfortunate but that's really the bottom line. To borrow a bit from pro wrestling, most DB fans are here to see Hogan vs Zeus and don't care that the Hart Foundation is facing off against The Brain Busters in the undercard.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:46 pm

I had to do a double take when I saw this chapter...Yamcha fighting again?

I never cared for Chiautzo, but Yamcha getting some action was surprisingly pleasant.

I was hoping Piccolo got his own fight, frustrating that he's always linked to Gohan.

17 and 18 made a badass entrance. Buu still sleeping is getting old and annoying.

Never cared much for Goten since he's really just a bland kid that is a carbon copy of his dad at the same age, but they should really give him and Trunks some action. Whatever happened to depending on them back in the Buu arc?

Overall pretty good chapter.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:56 pm

Xeztin wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:56 am Does anyone else cringe when seeing Seven-Three? Everyone else’s designs are fine, his screams Hitto with horns and black eyes.
I agree, it's like they want to make fun of the tournament and it's the reason I won't learn his name ...

Nightbane

Post by Nightbane » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:32 pm

Omfg, I'm so happy I'm crying right now. All the Z-Fighters joining up together is so incredible, 10/10 best chapter in Super and one of the best in Dragon Ball history. I actually feel bad for people who don't get excited over this, literally have no souls and must have a incredibly boring life.

Raimundo

Post by Raimundo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:33 am

Overall decent to meh chapter I guess. Nice seeing these guys again after so long tho I can’t say I find this all too interesting when it’s just grunts with very little substance to them. Unfortunate Goten and Trunks have been shelved until further notice. They’re not very interesting characters but lack of screen time to develop them won’t change that.

Gohan’s thought process on contacting 17 and 18 was smart. Kinda lame Piccolo is once again tied to Gohan.

While I like the idea of giving these other characters something I don’t personally care much for it as their opponents are very shallow and unmemorable. Goku getting lost in space was funny but besides that I really don’t care too much for Goku or Vegeta either.

The Boo chapters remain my favorite chapters this arc. Overall the arc has been pretty boring to me

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:59 am

It was a decent set up chapter for the backup dancers.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:04 am

Raimundo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:33 am Gohan’s thought process on contacting 17 and 18 was smart. Kinda lame Piccolo is once again tied to Gohan.
It's the most economical way to use them. Maybe if Videl hadn't been made boring after getting knocked up and they could canonize the Saiya-woman gimmick, there'd be a chance to have Piccolo do his own thing. But as is, with Goku and Vegeta locked in as the only characters who matter, some characters are going to need to be paired up to make sure there's enough screentime to go around

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:37 am

Raimundo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:33 am Gohan’s thought process on contacting 17 and 18 was smart. Kinda lame Piccolo is once again tied to Gohan.
It was Piccolo who contacted them, not Gohan. And yeah I agree Piccolo being tied to Gohan is lame. I hope in the next chapter we will see some different team-ups like Piccolo & 17 and Gohan & 18 :D

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:29 am

I agree with whoever mentioned that we as human fans have to take what we can get. Past the ROF incident, these characters haven't been actively involved on a battlefield all together like this since the Saiyan arc. Most of them had their own progressional martial arts sub-stories dating back to Dragon Ball. Plus, when you look back over some of the comments made by the characters as they were training under King Kai as well as the example set by Piccolo when he first reappeared in the world of the living on Namek, it's like the fruits of their labour were never explored. Was it relevant at that point? No, probably not. It doesn't mean some of us don't harbour interest in their own development.

Personally, I do hope that Buu is given an opportunity to make his own contribution in this fight. Frequently throughout the early segment of this arc his Dai Kaioshin alter-ego and his abilities were hailed as being the critical piece to this whole puzzle. I don't want his involvement to get discreetly brushed under the carpet now just because Goku and Vegeta are off training.