I really don’t see the problem with characters/villains not being “original”. Why is that even needed? Why so much emphasis on that? Because the opposite of originality somehow implies “laziness” on the writers’ part? So what? Who cares. I like villains that have a lot of in common with previous ones. Especially one that has a lot in common with nearly all of them such as Moro. Because it’s fun. It gives me something to compare him to and to speculate more. It is absolutely true that Moro has traits of King Piccolo, Android 19, 20, Cell, Buu, Bibidi, Babidi, and even Frieza, to a certain extent. And you know what? That’s perfectly fine and i like it. Now it would be a completely different thing if he was totally based of on a single already existing character (such as 7-3 looking almost identical to Hit), or Pikon to Piccolo. But that’s a completely different situation.
• Also, i like Mechikabura..
• And i have no problem with Moro’s “personality” or “ideals” either. Yes, he seems to be a simple villain, who just wants to consume beings and worlds. So what? He’s a villain! And not “every” villain needs to have a deeper personality like Zamasu (which i enjoyed too!) The point is, we needed a new villain for Goku and Vegeta to fight against, learn from, and overcome. How his exact personality is, is irrelevant to that issue. Although, to argue against the point made earlier, Moro’s shown personality DOES seem consistent with what he’s supposed to be. He has been introduced as an ancient and evil Wizard that eats planets and wants to have fun that way. That’s what the character is supposed to be, and so far his shown attitude and personality has been consistent with that.
So lets take a look at Moro’s similairities to previous villains, shall we? Something fun!
• He is similair to King Piccolo, in that he was introduced in his older form, kicked Goku’s ass in that older form, causing Goku to almost die and to retreat and train to obtain a new power-up. Moro, just like King Piccolo, gets a wish granted from the Dragon Balls to get young again and get his full power back. They are both based on demons.
(King Piccolo also got sealed up prior, Moro was imprisoned).
• Android 19, 20, and Cell. Just like them, he steals energy from others to make himself stronger. Starts out weak, gets stronger, they even have him emerge and float out of the water/sea after being hit by his opponent, just like Imperfect Cell!
• Majin Buu. Just like Buu, Moro is an ANCIENT, Evil, Magical, Being that attacks planets and has absorbing capabilities. And just like Buu, he fought against the Supreme Kais millions of years prior and got his magic sealed away (Buu himself got sealed aswell).
• Babidi and Bibidi. Just like them, Moro is an ancient WIZARD. A mage, with great magical capabilities.
• Frieza. You know, having minions and all, and traveling spaceships to attack the galaxies, and also for backstabbing his loyal minions after they have run out of usefulness. They both arrive at and attack Namek for the Dragon Balls.
And i like all of that!
Furthermore, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with him having another humanoid animal design. That’s a really bad criticism. First of all, i like antromorphic animal designs such as Beerus and the rest of the Gods of Destruction. This yet another bad example of attacking “unoriginality”. If the design looks cool, that’s it. That’s enough. I happen to like his animalistic “Goat” design. And you may not. That’s perfectly fine. But to attack the entire character for that is unfair. Beerus looks super cool. So do Liquir, Gine, and Rumsshi. I perfectly welcome an animal zoo of characters. Buutenks and Buuhan looked cool aswell. Which i fully agree with. They were not based on animals.
• Oh, and Cell and Buu were obviously NOT random aliens like Jiren. Cell was a biologically created android made from several of the greatest fighters that ever walked the earth. Not “natural” at all, like Frieza and Jiren. Cell is a being that could survive anything like Frieza, regenerate like the Namekians, and has Zenkais like the Saiyans. He is not human. Majin Buu likewise, and even much more so. He’s an ancient demonic genie with endless magical capabilities and regeneration. He’s immortal, and definitely not a random being, a normal alien... Like... Jiren. You literally explained what they were yourself in the same sentence where you said “What’s the difference?”.
That is extremely ironic. But okay, i’ll leave it at this for now.
“The fool looks for God outside him. The wise understands that God is within him.”