"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Thu May 21, 2020 12:38 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:03 pm Trying to copy the reckless abandon with which Toriyama writes is foolhardy. It works for Toriyama because he truly has no shits to give.
I just busted out :lol:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:08 pm Of all of Super so far, this arc is easily the closest to the feel of Dragon Ball Z.
I mean, the arc is basically a highlight reel of Z, so it should feel somewhat like Z.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:32 am

Either way, I believe that it is a bit too early for us to jump to conclusions. Although we are technically reaching the peak and finale of the Arc, it should be noted that Toyotaro has every right to extend the story more if he wishes to.

Then again, having us wait all this time to deliver these chapters would probably mean that we will not be getting any additional chapters. But if 7-3 truly comes back, I can definitely see a chapter or 2 with the earthlings fighting against him, while Moro evaluates the former's performance and loyalty.

That said, we can definitely agree on the fact that Toyotaro has left several hints about the progress of the Arc in the future (as in Merus breaking the law "then steal some more") but we are left into the shadows as to what is going to happen after Vegeta's fight for the most part, since there is a high possibility that it will not end Moro.

One month to go!
P O W E R

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu May 21, 2020 4:42 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:42 pm
Captain Awesome wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:32 pmI read Vegeta's refusal to use instantaneous movement again as a way to keep the status quo. This arc reads like Toyotaro was allowed to come up with an idea entirely on his own, provided it didn't have any long term ramifications on future projects.
He didn't come up with it on his own, as he said multiple times, Toriyama also has a hand in writing it and even correcting the art. Vegeta not wanting to use it is very in character, as his pride won't allow him to use someone else's technique. There's also the fact that he has his own technique that will most likely be used in future arcs. There's a good chance future arcs moving forward will be written like this one, between Toriyama and Toyotaro.
Toriyama's "involvement" is almost meaningless because we have no idea to what extent he is involved. Sure in the collected volumes we've seen corrected panels but to defend the arc on that basis is speculative. My point stands, take a step back from this arc and the status quo remains relatively unchanged.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu May 21, 2020 4:47 am

Kanassa wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 amI mean, the arc is basically a highlight reel of Z, so it should feel somewhat like Z.
Pretty much, the reuse of Namek, the violence, the lack of a Tournament featuring characters from another Universe, having the secondary characters appear to do something while we wait for the main two, the fight on an empty wasteland etc.

This is pretty much a generic Dragon Ball Z type story.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu May 21, 2020 5:14 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:47 am
Kanassa wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 amI mean, the arc is basically a highlight reel of Z, so it should feel somewhat like Z.
Pretty much, the reuse of Namek, the violence, the lack of a Tournament featuring characters from another Universe, having the secondary characters appear to do something while we wait for the main two, the fight on an empty wasteland etc.

This is pretty much a generic Dragon Ball Z type story.
It’s even paced as such! :lol:

This arc would be so extremely popular if they adapted it as is in TV format, keeping the same violence and imitating DBZ’s direction.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu May 21, 2020 5:43 am

emperior wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:14 amIt’s even paced as such! :lol:
It is because the Resurrection F arc was very Dragon Ball Zish but it was a movie so it didn't have the proper pacing.

This actually does, it's the longest saga now. It's about the equivalent of 37 Dragon Ball Z chapters which is longer than the Saiyan Sagas 36 chapters and it's up there with a bunch of others and it's not finish yet.

The other arcs were pretty short so didn't feel the same.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 21, 2020 6:39 am

Captain Awesome wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:42 amToriyama's "involvement" is almost meaningless because we have no idea to what extent he is involved.

My point stands, take a step back from this arc and the status quo remains relatively unchanged.
We also don't know how involved he was with Super, so I guess that's meaningless too.

Same applies to RF, and to a degree the Black arc.
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:43 amIt's the longest saga now. It's about the equivalent of 37 Dragon Ball Z chapters which is longer than the Saiyan Sagas 36 chapters.
It's actually the equivalent of 50+ chapters at this point, and the Saiyan arc was 50 or so.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Thu May 21, 2020 6:56 am

I have something telling me that for some dumb reason, the writers will find a way for Beerus to decide not to intervene. Like they'll have Vegeta doing circles around Moro and for some dumbass reason Beerus will go like 'Hm! Seems like Vegeta's handling the mess himself. Perhaps we're not needed after all in one saiyan can do it. I thought you two were concerned over something serious.'

Merus will get irritated by this nonsense and will want to do something...the only issue is Whis is legit hovering over his shoulder and reminding him and saying stuff like ,' I promised Father to keep you safe, I do not plan on going back on it...'
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 21, 2020 6:59 am

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:56 amI have something telling me that for some dumb reason, the writers will find a way for Beerus to decide not to intervene.
If he doesn't get involved, it allows there to be actual tension because earth's on its own, especially when 7-3 decided to mess things up. On the other hand, there being some history between Moro and Beerus could be very interesting. Either way, I really hope we get a satisfying ending.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:03 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:59 am
Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:56 amI have something telling me that for some dumb reason, the writers will find a way for Beerus to decide not to intervene.
If he doesn't get involved, it allows there to be actual tension because earth's on its own, especially when 7-3 decided to mess things up. On the other hand, there being some history between Moro and Beerus could be very interesting. Either way, I really hope we get a satisfying ending.
A satisfying ending is what we all want.

But for Beerus to not intervene for stupid/random reasons takes away from the story.

I personally won't feel any stakes in a fight where Beerus can enter anytime, but chooses not to because of some awful reasoning.

That would take away from the storytelling of the Arc a lot.
P O W E R

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:03 am
Matches Malone wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:59 am
A satisfying ending is what we all want.

But for Beerus to not intervene for stupid/random reasons takes away from the story.

I personally won't feel any stakes in a fight where Beerus can enter anytime, but chooses not to because of some awful reasoning.

That would take away from the storytelling of the Arc a lot.
Just have Beerus assume that since Earth has powerful warriors they should be able to defend itself without the help of the gods, since they aren't saviors or whatever. He sees Vegeta clashing against Moro and assumes that Earth should be fine and that Whis and Merus should stop worrying and that mortals can handle themselves just fine.

If Beerus isn't going to interfere, please make the reason not STUPID as hell, because it really makes everyone look like a bunch of idiots when the GoD can easily do something but he's a jerk so he won't.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Thu May 21, 2020 7:13 am

I can understand people being nervous about this arc's conclusion, whatever it may be. I feel like Dragon Ball, and shonen in general is actually quite a bit like professional wrestling. What do I mean? I mean that you can put up with unsatisfying fight endings as long as when the main event comes around it delivers a satisfying conclusion. This modern version of Dragon Ball hasn't delivered much of that. Honestly, it's a major flaw that was also frequently present in Naruto. I do feel like they nailed the ToP ending though so maybe it's turning around.

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:31 am

One thing's certain: Vegeta will not beat Moro.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Thu May 21, 2020 8:44 am

Zamasu55 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:31 am One thing's certain: Vegeta will not beat Moro.
People are being a bit too hyped if they think the writers will allow Vegeta to win. Vegeta will probably come close to winning before 7-3 ruins everything and sets things back at square one for the Z gang.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 21, 2020 9:27 am

Kodoshin wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:13 amI can understand people being nervous about this arc's conclusion, whatever it may be.
Considering RF and Zamasu's endings, there's plenty of ways for them to completely mess this up.
Zamasu55 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:31 am One thing's certain: Vegeta will not beat Moro.
Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:44 amVegeta will probably come close to winning before 7-3 ruins everything and sets things back at square one for the Z gang.
I think the ending will be very similar to the TOP. Vegeta will beat Moro, but won't be able to kill him, just as Goku beat Jiren but couldn't knock him out. And like Goku needing help to deliver the finishing blow to Jiren from Freeza and 17, I think Goku and Buu will get involved again to help Vegeta finish things.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 21, 2020 9:36 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:27 am
Kodoshin wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:13 amI can understand people being nervous about this arc's conclusion, whatever it may be.
Considering RF and Zamasu's endings, there's plenty of ways for them to completely mess this up.
Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:44 amVegeta will probably come close to winning before 7-3 ruins everything and sets things back at square one for the Z gang.
I think the ending will be very similar to the TOP. Vegeta will beat Moro, but won't be able to kill him, just as Goku beat Jiren but couldn't knock him out. And like Goku needing help to deliver the finishing blow to Jiren from Freeza and 17, I think Goku and Buu will get involved again to help Vegeta finish things.
I have a feeling Frieza has something coming. I don't know why but I get the sense we might see Moro press his foot on Vegeta's chest near the end of an even fight and just before Moro finishes him we see like a death beam pierce through Moro's shoulder or something. Then Vegeta finishes him or something. I feel Frieza has been strangely very absent from the story and I think there is a reason

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:10 am

Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:36 am
Matches Malone wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:27 am
I have a feeling Frieza has something coming. I don't know why but I get the sense we might see Moro press his foot on Vegeta's chest near the end of an even fight and just before Moro finishes him we see like a death beam pierce through Moro's shoulder or something. Then Vegeta finishes him or something. I feel Frieza has been strangely very absent from the story and I think there is a reason
Truth be told, when you are the Emperor of the Universe, ruling countless planets and having vast armies to command your subjects, the last thing you would like to have is for a delusional wizard with the powers of gods to go around with his minions and lay waste/take over worlds.

Freeza should feel threatened. So he probably is somehow watching the fight with Moro. Kinda comical if you ask me. We don't have Beerus looking over the things, but Freeza does. That would make for an interesting plot point.

Also, despite the fact that the Galactic Patrol did not recognize most of the Empire's actions, I believe that they felt better with some extremely strong individuals being in charge of all these worlds that could cause wars (like the Saiyans eliminating the Tsufurians)
P O W E R

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 21, 2020 11:38 am

Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:36 amI have a feeling Frieza has something coming.
Freeza will be in one of the previous chapters in the collected edition. In it, Freeza says he doesn't want to get involved because he doesn't want to deal with criminals, as he sees himself as a businessman. Only Freeza could kill so many yet look at himself as the good guy. :lol:

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Thu May 21, 2020 11:41 am

To be honest, I kinda thought that Vegeta would have just told Yardratians that Shunkaido just isn't the kind of tehnique he could learn, and he simply decided to hold his breath, and fly himself as fast as he can to the Earth.