"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Triggered Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Triggered Vegeta » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:57 am

Wait can Vegeta drain ki from opponent's now or just souls? Both?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:58 am

I don't really want Beers to intervene. Give him his own arc where he has to face someone from a planet that he destroyed who is now seeking revenge on him.

Really hoping the others just hold Moro back while Vegeta splits him from Seven-Three and deals a final blow. Let's depict the idea of the others now trusting Vegeta. Re-enforce what Piccolo said in this chapter by having the whole gang lend him a hand to finish Moro off for good. There's no reason this battle has to continue past the next chapter.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:13 pm

TheMikado wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 am
Draconic wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:11 am Considering Vegeta trained with this ability by using it on the Yardratians and everybody has Spirit, not just Ki, this doesn't mean the technique is only good for Moro. It will probably work on anyone, but it's just very effective here.
Androids probably don’t have spirit, so this fusion will likely mean Vegeta’s new technique that he spent so much time developing just for the sake of beating Moro is probably immediately neutered in the end fight and didn’t even last and entire chapter.

Yeah Vegeta fans are just going to looooove that....
I don't see why Androids shouldn't have Spirit. At least those like 17 and 18 and possibly 7-3 too.

Thinking about it, though, no one uses it, so who knows the extent that would affect somebody else other than Moro... it might not affect them at all, or very little.

But I think that's fine. Vegeta learned this technique at this specific moment to defeat Moro. Later on he can still use it, but it's good he doesn't get something that could just end every fight anytime he fights, like UI feels. Keeps things more interesting.

Also, man, I haven't seen you in so long lol
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:16 pm

Was it really necessary to show Moro eating 73? Couldn't it be, you know, off panel? How funny that Toyo off-panels the Kefla vs Gohan fight, but not this one tiny scene that I don't think that many people wanted to see, no offense to those who like vore.

I hope 17 and 18 will fuse into Android 35.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:20 pm

The panel where Piccolo states Vegeta has never been one to misread an opponent's strength...What is Piccolo talking about?

...that's what Vegeta's done exclusively to anyone who isn't Beerus throughout the entire series. It's almost his most defining trait.

Good chapter though. Can't Vegeta's new ability just seperate this new form though? He mentioned it splits fusions so this transformation doesn't really add any tension. Money is still on Goku getting the win despite everything though.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:30 pm

Vegeta's new move can split anything that's the result of fusion or absorption, Vegeta even tells Piccolo he can split him, Kami, and Nail, meaning he'll be able to split up Moro and 7-3.

So the reason Moro got so strong was because he stored a copy of his powers within 7-3, he can't just eat anyone and get strong.
Akyon wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:20 pmCan't Vegeta's new ability just seperate this new form though? He mentioned it splits fusions so this transformation doesn't really add any tension.

Money is still on Goku getting the win despite everything though.
He goes as far as to ask Piccolo if he wants him to split Kami and Nail from him, so he'll definitely separate Moro and 7-3. The question is, how will he get close enough to do it ?

I doubt it, especially with Piccolo's little speech to Goku. I do however think Goku's role will be crucial in allowing Vegeta to split those 2. Once that happens it'll be 2 on 2, with Goku taking care of 7-3 while Vegeta finishes Moro off.
Last edited by Matches Malone on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:33 pm

Well this move sounds more broken than I initially thought off. Big question is : can it undo Metamoran and potara fusions?

Another point to make is that 7-3 is the one who got the power up out of nowhere. But him giving all this strength to Moro may be due to the latter's affinity to his magic+moves. I don't think he is superior to his Prime tho, only the same in power, with just 7-3's ability added to his arsenal.

A complete copy is what he made. No need to suddenly grow stronger by that. So there is still hope. Moro probably stored some spirit with his magic inside 7-3, prompting Vegeta to use his technique a bit. I doubt that he will share an android physiology now.

Not much else to say ig. The spoilers covered me.
P O W E R

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:35 pm

I think it will have other applications, definitely not so op as this one for this specific enemy, of course.

Also, I don't think so, but just a thought: Maybe Vegeta can't fuse now? It would work with something like that separate the spirits requires to consolidate the spirit and that prevents fusion; that, and that the technique has other cool applications.
Michsi wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:36 am But there is one scene in this chapter that made me stop short and that is when he turns to Piccolo and asks him very pointedly (or maybe sarcastically? ) if he'd like to be separated from the Namekians he fused with which makes Piccolo react.

I know, I know, this is Vegeta's moment, and here I am with my Piccolo-loving ass over-analyzing what may as well be a throwaway line like the Namekian Book of Legends, but ever since we had Esca specifically mention that Namekians cannot split up- something we all know Piccolo and Kami did - I had hoped this would lead to something down the line.

Again, this might all be cake dressing that's just there to fill in some character moments, but dammit, it got me excited.
I thought so too, but I think is just a sarcastic comment, maybe it's mentioned as a precedent to separate Buu and the “namekian savior”.
Last edited by pepd on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:33 pmI don't think he is superior to his Prime tho, only the same in power, with just 7-3's ability added to his arsenal.
He has the same power he did before fighting Vegeta on top of 7-3's power and ability.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:43 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:37 pm
Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:33 pmI don't think he is superior to his Prime tho, only the same in power, with just 7-3's ability added to his arsenal.
He has the same power he did before fighting Vegeta on top of 7-3's power and ability.
Nice, good to know others believe the same when some things are up to interpretation.

I think that I would enjoy it more if Moro engages with the Team and Buu arrives and turns the tables once more. A parallel to the battle of Namek. Which will result in victory ofc.

And Beerus casually arrives. But it also shows that he cared and was about to get there, so nothing wrong with that. Merus should sleep relaxed then lol
P O W E R

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:48 pm

With this idea of a backup and the whole 'how is absorbing Seven-Three better than 2 months of absorbing planets?!?!' could it just be that from every planet he went to he stored a bit of that absorbed energy within him. We've seen him power up his goons before, maybe an infinite energy android is the perfect vessel for storage of his stolen Ki.

Also no chance of a fusion happening based ono Vegeta's speech to Moro about stolen/fusions etc.

Also Vegeta's technique should be able to work on this fusion?

And he will be able to separate buu and Dai Kai

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:49 pm

There's certainly a lot to digest/discuss this month.

I liked most of Vegeta's character moments, but I can already see some criticism leveled at some of the dialogue from those who tend to overanalyze it. For example, Vegeta's line about going to hell is probably going to ruffle some feathers, but even if heaven is his intended destination in the afterlife, given the themes of Vegeta's redemption, he's not the kind of character who would anticipate or admit to that. His interaction with Moro here is fantastic because it furthers what the arc has been building to while also re-establishing his parallels with the antagonist.

Between Vegeta wearing Moro down with Spirit Fission, restoring New Namek, having his growth as a character emphasized, and Moro using Seven-Three as a backup and defeating Vegeta, there's a ton of story progression to chew on here. In stark contrast, almost nothing happened in Goku's fight, which took up two whole chapters -- one more than it needed to.

If that doesn't underline Vegeta's importance, I don't know what does. Goku is still a major character, but this is Vegeta's arc. His thematic/narrative significance shouldn't stop with this chapter.

I'm not really a fan of Moro's new character design; it's generic as hell and seems to rely on the old DB trope of bad guys like Cell or Boo getting humanoid faces. Still, I very much appreciated the actual plan of Moro absorbing Seven-Three to get his strength back and acquire new abilities. This should, in theory, add a new layer of strategy to the ongoing conflict.

I thoroughly disagree with those claiming that Spirit Fission is little more than a one-time "filler" technique. The dialogue itself makes a case for Vegeta having some new measure of utility against opponents that would rely on absorption or fusion. Time will tell if future villains incorporate those gimmicks, but it's far from useless in-universe at least.

Very solid chapter overall. This is (finally) tension and pacing done right.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:50 pm

I agree that the whole dialog between Goku and Piccolo left a lot to be desired in terms of what I think it wanted to achieve. It was not well put together.

Basically , they constantly want their cake and eat it, too. What makes Vegeta popular as a character is his fiery, proud, obstinate personality but from a narrative perspective growth implies leaving all those traits behind.

So you end up going back and forth between with his development , but here they actually tried to cram both into the same chapter and present them simultaneously . One on had you have Vegeta behaving like his cocky Cell arc persona with lines like "I am more talented than you" and then we have Piccolo complimenting his growth.

Now, I guess looking at if more carefully, it's not as bad as it seems.
One thing Vegeta never really expressed before was remorse for what he's done. Yes, in Buu Saga he already knew he was heading for hell but that was more about him accepting it then thinking he deserved it.

Him stating it here outright means he understands the consequences of his past actions and that having helped save lives a couple of times and even defeating Moro won't change that. Wiping the slate clean starting anew doesn't mean you are no longer accountable for your past actions. I think it's an important thing to address and not quite a repetition of what we've seen in the Buu Saga.

Now having said that: it is kinda funny that all day I've seen Vegeta trending while people only had a couple of leaks to go by and thought his new power meant he'd win and then....yeah...
Last edited by Michsi on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:52 pm

The Undying wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:49 pm There's certainly a lot to digest/discuss this month.

I liked most of Vegeta's character moments, but I can already see some criticism leveled at some of the dialogue from those who tend to overanalyze it. For example, Vegeta's line about going to hell is probably going to ruffle some feathers, but even if heaven is his intended destination in the afterlife, given the themes of Vegeta's redemption, he's not the kind of character who would anticipate or admit to that. His interaction with Moro here is fantastic because it furthers what the arc has been building to while also re-establishing his parallels with the antagonist.

Between Vegeta wearing Moro down with Spirit Fission, restoring New Namek, having his growth as a character emphasized, and Moro using Seven-Three as a backup and defeating Vegeta, there's a ton of story progression to chew on here. In stark contrast, almost nothing happened in Goku's fight, which took up two whole chapters -- one more than it needed to.

If that doesn't underline Vegeta's importance, I don't know what does. Goku is still a major character, but this is Vegeta's arc. His thematic/narrative significance shouldn't stop with this chapter.

I'm not really a fan of Moro's new character design; it's generic as hell and seems to rely on the old DB trope of bad guys like Cell or Boo getting humanoid faces. Still, I very much appreciated the actual plan of Moro absorbing Seven-Three to get his strength back and acquire new abilities. This should, in theory, add a new layer of strategy to the ongoing conflict.

I thoroughly disagree with those claiming that Spirit Fission is little more than a one-time "filler" technique. The dialogue itself makes a case for Vegeta having some new measure of utility against opponents that would rely on absorption or fusion. Time will tell if future villains incorporate those gimmicks, but it's far from useless in-universe at least.

Very solid chapter overall. This is (finally) tension and pacing done right.
My immediate thought was : "Vegeta can solo Merged Zamasu" lol
P O W E R

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Krillin1994 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:48 pmNo chance of a fusion happening based ono Vegeta's speech to Moro about stolen/fusions etc.

Vegeta's technique should be able to work on this fusion?

And he will be able to separate buu and Dai Kai
I agree with this, it's clear they have no intention of using fusion here.

Of course it will, otherwise there'd be no reason to mention such an ability. I think the question is, how will Vegeta get close enough to use it, cause breaking up a fusion might be harder than separating energy.

This makes a lot of sense, and I can't wait to see the dynamic between him and the 2 Kais and Kibito.
Michsi wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:50 pmIt is kinda funny that all day I've seen Vegeta trending while people only had a couple of leaks to go by and thought his new power meant he'd win and then....yeah...
He won the initial fight, and based on what Piccolo told Goku and what Vegeta told Moro, it's safe to say he'll kill Moro, while Goku takes care of 7-3.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Oh duh, it's simply the 7-3 matching the physical power of who he absorbs as well as just the techniques, at the same time do the Z warriors just need to wait out half an hour now until it's over.

/ he may still have Piccolo and Gohan's abilities too if half an hour hasn't passed, so in theory regeneration and zenkai boosting?
Last edited by Krillin1994 on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:58 pm

You guys have to admit though. Vegito or Gogeta with spirit control and autonomous ultra instinct would be pretty cool.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:58 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:16 pm Was it really necessary to show Moro eating 73? Couldn't it be, you know, off panel? How funny that Toyo off-panels the Kefla vs Gohan fight, but not this one tiny scene that I don't think that many people wanted to see, no offense to those who like vore.

I hope 17 and 18 will fuse into Android 35.
I'm not into vore but I don't really see the issue in this case? It's too subtle or young kids to get and it isn't like people with other fetishes don't get off on Dragon Ball.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:01 pm

Dunno, but I for one, did not feel disturbed at the slightest. Remember what Buu was doing back in the day? Also, it's not like you can find much weirder stuff on the internet. Pros and Cons of the web ig. And that, does relate to dragon ball, since I'm pretty sure most of us are using VIZ to take a look at the new chapters.
P O W E R

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:02 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:37 am
TheMikado wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:52 amNo GT Vegeta was much better. If you’re a true Vegeta fan then you would understand him being a stubborn prideful Maverick is much more central to the character than any empty win or new technique.
I have no issues with the way he's written character wise in GT, but you can't have someone that important either not fight or constantly get defeated.

I can’t speak for everyone but I don’t like Vegeta because he wins, I like him because he marches to his own drum and never gives up. Goku is the protagonist of Dragonball, not Vegeta. Winning is his job function.