"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:52 pm

TKA wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:14 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:30 pm
This would be OK if it wasn't Freeza, one of the franchise's greatest villains. If you want a story where the villain isn't that big of a threat, then introduce someone new who fits that idea, not Freeza. The other issue is that it was following BOG. If you're going to follow up such a great movie, then you better bring your A game to the table, something RF wasn't.
I profoundly disagree.

Check my Broly review in my sig to see exactly why I think Minus, as adapted in the Broly movie, is leagues beyond the original Bardock tv special. The tl;dr version of that is Minus presents a better character and grounds the story of Goku's parentage more.

As for Res F, I prefer it to Trunks and the Tournament of Power. I prefer Super to be low stakes because the time after Buu is supposed to be peaceful. Res F is also honest. It doesn't try to convince you that this new villain is the end of the universe like the typical filler arc or movie does. At this point, I'm too old (over 25, under 29) to fall for that kinda thing.
I think seeing it animated certainly improved my opinion of Minus somewhat, mainly since the original comic was little more than a footnote, barely a story at all. I guess it was always intended to be part of a larger narrative. However, reading Toriyama's manga take on Trunks: The Story, it seems that he generally doesn't do too well with stories set in the past. He just kind of rushes through everything with no real causality between events. Like a grandpa in front of an open fire rushing through a bedtime story so he can get back to his brandy and cigar and sit in peace.

I still prefer the TV special version of Bardock but I don't have an overblown loathing for Toriyama's version like some people do. I'm more or less ambivalent. I always liked the detail about Toriyama's Bardock genuinely being an unexceptional nobody in Saiyan society, but rewatching the Bardock special, I think that theme is retained in that version as well. In the special, they establish that Bardock is only as strong as he is because he constantly throws himself into the thick of battle and comes back half dead, exploiting the Saiyans' natural capacity to come back stronger with each life-threatening injury. He was naturally weak and his strength ultimately came from hard work just like Goku's, but he's nevertheless kept in the bottom class -- a slightly higher rung but still considered a low class simian, showing that Saiyan society is full of shit. But Bardock's still blind to it all, and he's bought into his toxic culture hook, line and sinker, to the point where he dismisses his own son. Him gaining psychic powers is a bit... contrived, but it puts Bardock in a Cassandra-like role, pitifully unable to defy fate. In the end, all he can muster is a pathetic little football-sized energy blast and he dies for nothing.

But what I like most about Toei's original Bardock is that he's genuinely an asshole. Outside of the Funimation dub, they don't sugarcoat his shitty personality at all. Even though it's not what Toriyama would've done, I certainly appreciate Toei for having the balls to depict a character like this in a protagonist role.

I think what I like most about Toriyama's Bardock however is that he's intelligent. He deduces everything going on with Frieza's plan through simple logical observations. However, even though Saiyan society is broader in Toriyama's vision, his opinion isn't valued because he's just a Saiyan grunt. He's not expected to be intelligent and certainly not caring towards his sons. But overall I find him less interesting.

I've seen this argument that Toriyama's change of Bardock somehow ruined Goku's entire character which I just don't get. Even though Minus does kinda peg on Superman a bit too much, it doesn't fundamentally change anything about Goku's character or journey.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 pm

Spoilers are beginning to drop for chapter 62.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:53 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 pm Spoilers are beginning to drop for chapter 62.
Please be Beerus, please be Beerus, please be Beerus....
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 pm

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:53 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 pm Spoilers are beginning to drop for chapter 62.
I have a bad feeling that it's Merus, as characters not introduced by the original author tend to be removed from the overall story by the end. with them establishing he'll be erased if he gets involved, and him wanting to get involved, I think there's a high possibility that's what will happen.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:23 pm
Miracles wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 pmResurrection F movie was fine. It was the retelling that was bad [TOEI].
No, the movie was just as crap. There's nothing really interesting going on for it.
Miracles wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 pmDragonball minus was a simple one time reveal of Goku's backstory. It accomplished what it needed to.
The only thing it accomplished was destroying a 24-year-old of established masterpiece (and to give me Gine, but obviously and unfortunately she wasn't enough to make the work itself good).
Miracles wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 pmBroly was a good DB movie. To the point and concise. That's good DB by Toriyama and boosts the franchise.
More like to more flashy fights that may cause diziness packed by another unnecessary villain coming back. If that's good Dragon Ball by modern Toriyama, then holy hell... And I don't see what that movie could possibly boost, but anyway.
Miracles wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 pmAs far as Super goes. TOEI/Toyotaro failed to execute it. Toriyama isn't the one making different variations to god forms or adding techniques to it.
No, but he is the one coming up with the foundations for these "different variations to god forms". Add that to he's the one who decided to make two tournaments in a row, an average saga that had potential to be so much more...
Miracles wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 pmToriyama was the one who had to rewrite TOEI's entire BoG script since it wasn't Dragonball. My God, we would of had Lizard Beerus in TOEI's hands.
Not a fan of lizard? I don't see the problem, we got cat Beerus anyway, which is just as good or bad idea. Whatever animal Beerus could be based on, it wouldn't be a big deal.
Ok, Not gonna lie. It kinda sounds like you’ve grown out of Dragon Ball. I don’t think there is anything left for you here. Thats not just me being like “Well if you don’t like it don’t watch it”. I’m giving you a genuine suggestion to ease your mind on the topic. I hope you take my words into consideration and reflect on yourself because I don’t want your emotional attachment to the franchise to be soured because you’ve just moved on.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:06 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 pm
Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:53 pm
I have a bad feeling that it's Merus, as characters not introduced by the original author tend to be removed from the overall story by the end. with them establishing he'll be erased if he gets involved, and him wanting to get involved, I think there's a high possibility that's what will happen.
But Whis is standing right behind him? How the hell is Merus going to do anything while Whis is there? Whis has been running a marathon trying to keep Merus out of trouble, he even went so far as to make himself Merus's protector after the Grand Priest gave him the okay to reel in Merus. Whis would look like a massive idiot allowing Merus to die, especially since its going to fall on his shoulders.

Merus dying would be on Whis, why would he allow Merus to die when Beerus is there, having expressed interest in seeing Earth?
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:23 pmMore like to more flashy fights that may cause diziness packed by another unnecessary villain coming back.
What always has me scratching my head is the amount of praise fans give Toriyama when the movie is more or less just 3 older stories rewritten to work as one. Shouldn't we be giving Koyama the credit, as he's who came up with those stories to begin with ?
Grimlock wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:23 pmIf that's good Dragon Ball by modern Toriyama, then holy hell.
The standards have gotten so low with some fans that Toriyama's name is the only requirement for something to be good now. I can guarantee you that these new stories would be ripped to shreds if they were written by someone else.
DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 pmOk, Not gonna lie. It kinda sounds like you’ve grown out of Dragon Ball. I don’t think there is anything left for you here. Thats not just me being like “Well if you don’t like it don’t watch it”.
I'm not sure what's worse, the "don't watch it" cop out or the "you've grown out of it" excuse, as both basically just try to cover up the fact that the writing is lacking in care compared to before. This has nothing to do with anyone "growing out" of DB, we're simply holding it to the standards it set for itself in its original run and the standards set by other shows within the same genre. Contrary to popular belief among the Toriyama fans boys (not saying you're one of them), having standards is not a bad thing.
Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:06 pmMerus dying would be on Whis, why would he allow Merus to die when Beerus is there, having expressed interest in seeing Earth?
Whoever it is only shows up at the very end it seems, so we'll have to wait a whole other month to find out. They can just say he slipped away when Whis wasn't looking or something.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:53 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 pm
DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 pmOk, Not gonna lie. It kinda sounds like you’ve grown out of Dragon Ball. I don’t think there is anything left for you here. Thats not just me being like “Well if you don’t like it don’t watch it”.
I'm not sure what's worse, the "don't watch it" cop out or the "you've grown out of it" excuse, as both basically just try to cover up the fact that the writing is lacking in care compared to before. This has nothing to do with anyone "growing out" of DB, we're simply holding it to the standards it set for itself in its original run and the standards set by other shows within the same genre. Contrary to popular belief among the Toriyama fans boys (not saying you're one of them), having standards is not a bad thing.
I agree that it can be a cop out. But honestly with the way he talks it sounds to me that nothing will satisfy him. I hate of 90% of Super. Hell I’m one of the few fans who don’t put Z on a pedestal and can see the flaws (Not saying you’re one of these) , but even I can see when someone doesn’t want to like something.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:12 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:53 pmI’m one of the few fans who don’t put Z on a pedestal and can see the flaws (Not saying you’re one of these).
I'm one of them actually, as before Kai, the Saiyan-Buu arcs were practically unwatchable for me. Kai has its own issues obviously, but at least it has normal pacing that's close to OG DB and other anime.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:59 am

As much as I enjoyed the Bardack special, it goes in the category of the DB content that made me think, as a kid that just enjoyed DB, that something was off, it just didn't felt that DB, and I think Minus adapted it well to DB. Now, that special was of the best Toriyamaless Dragon Ball, just think on the other content without his involvement.
Sure, it would be great if Toriyama decided to get more involvement, but apart from that, I think the best thing DB can get is someone that understands DB and can adapt and expand on his outlines and scripts, and the next, a nice funeral.
On that note, and more on topic, I think Toyotaro is doing a good job (not amazing, and not without it's falls, but a good job)

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:08 am

pepd wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:59 amOn that note, and more on topic, I think Toyotaro is doing a good job (not amazing, and not without it's falls, but a good job)
I agree, it may be flawed, but this arc is taking things in the right direction, and hopefully things will just improve as time goes on.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:12 am
DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:53 pmI’m one of the few fans who don’t put Z on a pedestal and can see the flaws (Not saying you’re one of these).
I'm one of them actually, as before Kai, the Saiyan-Buu arcs were practically unwatchable for me. Kai has its own issues obviously, but at least it has normal pacing that's close to OG DB and other anime.
If you didn't like any of the 4 Z arcs I'm sad to tell you but your likely never going to like DB again

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:43 am

Ryokuta translation guys.

Apparently the chapter ends with “someone’s arrival.” Can’t say we didn’t see that one coming! It’s either Beerus or Merus..!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:40 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 amIf you didn't like any of the 4 Z arcs I'm sad to tell you but your likely never going to like DB again
Not the arcs themselves, the pacing issues within the anime. Not only do I consider the Saiyan and Freeza arcs the best in DB, but Shonen as a whole.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:34 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:43 am Ryokuta translation guys.

Apparently the chapter ends with “someone’s arrival.” Can’t say we didn’t see that one coming! It’s either Beerus or Merus..!
or Broly, cheelai and Lemo that'd be a cool twist lol

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:40 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:34 am
GodVegetto91 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:43 am Ryokuta translation guys.

or Broly, cheelai and Lemo that'd be a cool twist lol
I know it's a joke, but that would be awesome! :thumbup:

FishermanJohnWest
Beyond Newbie

Post by FishermanJohnWest » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:44 am

If it's Beerus then good, Beerus needs to do something in DBS cause he is downright lazy and pathetic

If it's Merus then that's stupid and predictable

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:47 am

FishermanJohnWest wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:44 am If it's Beerus then good, Beerus needs to do something in DBS cause he is downright lazy and pathetic

Super is predictable lol

FishermanJohnWest
Beyond Newbie

Post by FishermanJohnWest » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:48 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:47 am
FishermanJohnWest wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:44 am If it's Beerus then good, Beerus needs to do something in DBS cause he is downright lazy and pathetic

Super is predictable lol
Well yes that is true

but Beerus getting involved is one of them moments that is predictable but a good thing as well

caire
Not-So-Newbie

Post by caire » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:44 am

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:06 pm
But Whis is standing right behind him? How the hell is Merus going to do anything while Whis is there? Whis has been running a marathon trying to keep Merus out of trouble, he even went so far as to make himself Merus's protector after the Grand Priest gave him the okay to reel in Merus. Whis would look like a massive idiot allowing Merus to die, especially since its going to fall on his shoulders.

Merus dying would be on Whis, why would he allow Merus to die when Beerus is there, having expressed interest in seeing Earth?
I think it may be Whis and Beerus. Maybe they're trusting Merus to stay there? It's a bit of a risk for Whis, but he has been lecturing Merus on the "duty of angels" since chapter 55. Maybe he's hoping Merus has finally internalised that and he's going to stay put. Or Whis is going to take Beerus there and then head straight back to Beerus' planet. Sadly though, I still think this arc is going to end with the death of Merus. Especially if actual GoDs and divine beings are having to get involved to this extent.