"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:17 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 pmOk, Not gonna lie. It kinda sounds like you’ve grown out of Dragon Ball. I don’t think there is anything left for you here.
It could be the case, I myself thought that once, but then I remembered the video-games (well, more specifically Xenoverse and Heroes) are doing precisely what I expect from modern Dragon Ball. Instead of following the same old formula, why not at least modernize it? Multiverse (or in the case of Dragon Ball, different dimension) is now a popular theme. Explore it. It's time, in fact, to explain, in-universe, these movies and OVAs and Dragon Ball GT... The audience will understand it (or at least more than time travel, which is more complicated). I do like this theme, I like the possibilities, I like the interaction, I like the reaction, all the wonders that this subject can bring. So if there is a portion of the franchise that is doing something I like, that means the series has to have something for me too. Dragon Ball is basically a Japanese Marvel/DC, just fully embrace it already. If that's not possible, there's still Dragon Ball Online content to be adapted and expanded.

I can only gasp at the idea that the games have become more interesting than the series. I don't know if this is supposed to be the case, but there we have it.
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 pmWhat always has me scratching my head is the amount of praise fans give Toriyama when the movie is more or less just 3 older stories rewritten to work as one. Shouldn't we be giving Koyama the credit, as he's who came up with those stories to begin with ?
Yeah, we probably should. Without him, none of this would probably exist anyway, might as well start putting "Based on a Koyama story" in the credits too.
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 pmThe standards have gotten so low with some fans that Toriyama's name is the only requirement for something to be good now. I can guarantee you that these new stories would be ripped to shreds if they were written by someone else.
You can guarantee and I will believe you, because we already have examples that that's the case. Just take look at Dragon Ball Heroes. Since there is no "Story by Akira Toriyama" attached to it, the commentaries are wild. I can also guarantee you that if it had Toriyama's name, all these new stories would be held in high regard.

If even a game is ripped to shreds, I can only imagine there are works/series out there *coughs*dragonballgt*coughs* that gets the very same treatment. GT Goku meeting Super Goku? No, no. That's nuts. Goku recoloring his hair yet again? Pure orgasm. :roll:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:49 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:33 pmI think most fans can agree that DB would be better off without Resurrection F and Minus, with a good amount adding Super to that. Do you honestly believe that DB is currently being utilized to its full potential by Toriyama ?
I did hate RoF and Minus but enjoyed BoG and Broly so I feel Toriyama's involvement has been hit or miss. I'm not sure if the revival would've been any better or realized more of it's potential without him though. There were apparently many ideas Toriyama rejected before deciding on Broly. If you think RoF was a bad idea, these suggestions must've been even worse for him to decline using them.

I wouldn't blame Toriyama and I think it has more to do with where DB is at this point. It's unlikely any studio would consider bringing back a franchise this decades after it ended because someone came up with a great story to take it to its full potential. Based on some of ideas that were suggested to Toriyama, Toei would've likely focused on bringing back popular characters, fan service, and call backs if they had continued on their own. The benefit of having Toriyama involved is that the stories would have his style and sense of humor (most of the time anyway).

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:57 am

The problem I have with current Toriyama is that he's not committed to the franchise, and with that I don't expect to have him be 100% on or 70% or even 50% committed but for me he is more like a 5-10%

he gives vague outlines here and there and may give toyotaro a half assed advice, but is it really worth it?
For me Toriyama is great when he actually puts some effort and on top of that when he has someone to tell him "no" once in awhile

Having the franchise depend on this half assed version of toriyama may be worse than actually finding someone qualified
to replace him.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Well, shit.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:15 pm

God. I love that page.

Lord these next two days can't pass by quick enough.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:15 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Well, shit.
Well Goku basically got sliced into. Fuck....
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:16 pm

Well then I saw the two pages and damn that's not what I expected and now I can't wait for the release of the chapter

It's a oof moment all I'll say. :silent:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:18 pm

Somebody is having a bad time

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:19 pm

This chapter might as well get called, 'Moro owns everybody with minimal effort and pretty much decimates the Z fighters'.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:20 pm

So much for MUI saving the day.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:20 pm So much for MUI saving the day.
This looks like a job for Beerus getting off his ass and doing the one thing he's good at! Since clearly Moro isn't going to be killed by the Z fighters....

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:22 pm

No worries, he will find a way to survive.

So Moro can now also regenerate... Not sure out of which asshole he pulled that from.

Didn't Piccolo's powers already diminish from 73?
P O W E R

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:26 pm

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:21 pmThis looks like a job for Beerus getting off his ass and doing the one thing he's good at! Since clearly Moro isn't going to be killed by the Z fighters....
I think by the time he gets to earth half the Z fighters will be dead while the other half will be close to dead.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:26 pm

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:22 pm No worries, he will find a way to survive.

So Moro can now also regenerate... Not sure out of which asshole he pulled that from.
7-3 can regenerate...and he absorbed/fused with him. So that's going to be problem, another Cell!

Thankfully, Goku has main character power, meaning that unless Moro kills on the spot he'll somehow not die of blood loss from his injuries.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:26 pm
Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:22 pm No worries, he will find a way to survive.

7-3 can regenerate...and he absorbed/fused with him. So that's going to be problem, another Cell!

Thankfully, Goku has main character power, meaning that unless Moro kills on the spot he'll somehow not die of blood loss from his injuries.
Many had Vegeta for dead with Black. Surprise surprise, he was OK and was chilling on the ground until he had a senzu.

But I want to see something different this time. How would this Vegeta react to Goku dying? It's not like in the android saga and how he then was killed by the androids in the future timeline. Cell saga also plays into that.

Now things are different.
P O W E R

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:31 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:26 pm
Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:21 pmThis looks like a job for Beerus getting off his ass and doing the one thing he's good at! Since clearly Moro isn't going to be killed by the Z fighters....
I think by the time he gets to earth half the Z fighters will be dead while the other half will be close to dead.
Yeah honestly, the best bet the Z fighters have is stalling Moro long enough for Beerus to go and zoom to earth. Beerus will probably see the damage Moro's caused and reluctantly decide to haul ass to the battle field.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:31 pm

Didn't Piccolo's powers already diminish from 73?
That's why I'm questioning the legitimacy of these scans (In certain panels characters like Piccolo & Jaco look different than how Toyo draws them)

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:26 pmThankfully, Goku has main character power.
I don't think that'll protect him from having his heart ripped to pieces. It wasn't a small attack, he literally put his arm through his entire chest, the chances of him not getting his heart are slim to none.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:34 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:32 pm
Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:26 pmThankfully, Goku has main character power.
I don't think that'll protect him from having his heart ripped to pieces. It wasn't a small attack, he literally put his arm through his entire chest, the chances of him not getting his heart are slim to none.
Well he did nab the right side of his chest, not the left.

Even then, that's like, at least a whole decimated lung or something.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:35 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:32 pm
I agree, but even then, I doubt they'll just let Goku die at this point. I'll be surprised if they do, and even then its kinda obvious that this isn't a threat Goku and Vegeta can deal with.

By the way, where the fuck are the senzu beans? Did they run out or something?