"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:04 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:48 pm Why would Goku even spare Moro? This is a pure evil monster who wants to devour the entire universe and even challenged the Gods. Don't give me the "Goku doesn't want to kill people" argument, because he is more than willing to kill those that he perceives as beyond redemption. In the Future Trunks arc, he decides that Zamasu is beyond his redemption and must be defeated at all costs if the world is to be at peace. And Zamasu at least had redeeming qualities, Moro is pure evil, there's no way Goku spares him.
Maybe he wants to spare Moro because of the talk he had with Merus?
Only way I see it happening

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:20 pm

TheNingen wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:00 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:48 pm Why would Goku even spare Moro? This is a pure evil monster who wants to devour the entire universe and even challenged the Gods. Don't give me the "Goku doesn't want to kill people" argument, because he is more than willing to kill those that he perceives as beyond redemption. In the Future Trunks arc, he decides that Zamasu is beyond his redemption and must be defeated at all costs if the world is to be at peace. And Zamasu at least had redeeming qualities, Moro is pure evil, there's no way Goku spares him.
The same argument could be made for why would he spare Freeza? Which was essentially Space Hitler and did far worse damage to Goku than Moro has. Both with the genocide of his race (even if he didn't care about it) but also killing Krillin, nearly killing Piccolo and Gohan, etc. Yet Goku let him live.

If Toyo wasn't setting up Goku sparing Moro, then it wouldn't make sense for Goku to quit the Galactic Patrol after asking Jaco if Moro still had the death penalty, and Jaco confirming that. Also Beerus' "I don't have a good feeling about it." It's not a choice I agree with or one I'm defending mind you, just what appears to be the current plot point being set up.
And then he killed Frieza in RoF once he realized he's beyond redemption and must be stopped for the sake of the Earth. Frieza committed worse crimes than Moro simply because Moro was imprisoned for eons, if Moro is allowed to do whatever he wants then the entire universe literally dies.

If that's what's going on it's such a stupid decision that it doesn't surprise me Beerus is like "wtf are u doing Goku".

I still think it's a horrible idea to spare Moro, he is a monster who wants to consume the universe and represents a clear threat to the Gods of Universe 7, it's too risky to let him live. Plus he already broke free from the Galactic Patrol once, so clearly these people can't be trusted to do their job.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:48 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:04 pm
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:42 pm
Kinokima wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:28 pmAnd if the above is true it sounds totally irresponsible for Goku to do something that dumb with someone so dangerous
Well, it really depends on exactly why he's doing it - if it's for the reasons Merus reflects on in Chapter 63, then it's perhaps naive, but it would be characteristic. However, we won't be getting an answer on that in this Chapter.
Perhaps that was a bit of foreshadowing now that you mention but only putting it a chapter before feels like cheating a little.

It’s very possible Goku can still win with this change but Ill find it disappointing like he is being rewarded for a bad decision.
Eh, I don't know if I would say 'cheating'; it only re-presents what we already know to be true of Goku in a single conversation.

The "maybe they'll join the good side" is something I don't think Goku's ever flat-out said before (though, at least, Vegeta has supposed it in his own case - "as if you knew all along I would learn to have a soul..."), but I doubt he's thinking of reforming Moro right now.
I think, as with many plot points, it depends on the way it plays out as much as anything - I've lost count of the number of times I've seen commenters here freak out over a plot detail as a plot detail, only to find it lands better as a fully-depicted story beat - but I surely wouldn't get too hung up on what might happen in Chapter 65 when we haven't even read Chapter 64 yet...

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:34 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:48 pm
Kinokima wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:04 pm
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:42 pm

Well, it really depends on exactly why he's doing it - if it's for the reasons Merus reflects on in Chapter 63, then it's perhaps naive, but it would be characteristic. However, we won't be getting an answer on that in this Chapter.
Perhaps that was a bit of foreshadowing now that you mention but only putting it a chapter before feels like cheating a little.

It’s very possible Goku can still win with this change but Ill find it disappointing like he is being rewarded for a bad decision.
Eh, I don't know if I would say 'cheating'; it only re-presents what we already know to be true of Goku in a single conversation.

The "maybe they'll join the good side" is something I don't think Goku's ever flat-out said before (though, at least, Vegeta has supposed it in his own case - "as if you knew all along I would learn to have a soul..."), but I doubt he's thinking of reforming Moro right now.

While I don’t think it is out of character for Goku to not want to kill his opponents I think even he knows when someone is too dangerous to just leave on their own.

Moro isn’t even really a true warrior that Goku should want to fight again. He literally steals power & feeds off others.

I know I always say don’t judge until you see the chapter and I am doing that now it’s just where it seems to be leading bothers me.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:47 pm

Kinokima wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:34 pm Moro isn’t even really a true warrior that Goku should want to fight again. He literally steals power & feeds off others.
What you say here raises an interesting possibility - Moro mentioned back in Chapter 50 that he "detests the sort of peace that you people [the Galactic Patrol] want to preserve on this planet and others. All those who would strive for such nonsense...should be eradicated."

Moro may not be a warrior, but Goku fundamentally is. Goku no doubt considers protecting Earth to be a very important point, but there's this other possible consequence to not wanting to fight as a Galactic Patrolman - namely, that he isn't fighting to preserve any kind of peace as such, but rather he wants to fight as an Earthling warrior, for its own sake.

That's very 'Goku' too, and might at least have the advantage of making Moro look at what Goku is doing from a different angle, rather than just assuming he's a typical Galactic Patrol type that he needs to try to eradicate. So this plot beat may not end up being about what Goku thinks, but about what Moro thinks (just feeding back into Goku's conversation with Merus from Chapter 63, as well). But then again, Moro's up against it; he may just look for any way out he can get, now.
Kinokima wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:34 pmI know I always say don’t judge until you see the chapter and I am doing that now it’s just where it seems to be leading bothers me.
It may play out in the most straightforward way possible. Toyotarou considers Dragon Ball (and comics generally) to be for kids first and foremost, so he may not feel the need to be 'clever' about it. Or, it might not. There's enough in play that's open right now that it could go down in a few ways.

But hey. I consider the openness of any story's possibilities to be among the most enjoyable things about it as it unfolds - I'd say letting yourself get bothered about one particular possibility, especially this far out, robs you of the enjoyment of anticipation and of the story itself once it's unfolded.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:06 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:48 pm Why would Goku even spare Moro?
Is not for MORO, is a thing about the death penalty from Galactic Patrol.
Goku refuse to kill a stunned defenseless opponent.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:18 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:06 pm
After the shit Moro pulled, him being defenceless should be considered a gift from the heavens.

Is he just going to wait until Moro stands up and pulls some magic trick to even the playing field for another chapter or two before they off him? Because I tire of Moro's presence and I don't fancy someone sparing him AGAIN after this interaction happens.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:21 pm

He is defenseless after Goku beat him in combat, a fight that Moro started because he wants to devour the entire universe.

Goku sentimentalism is touching and all, but if he doesnt have the guts to deal the final blow, I hope Beerus does. At this point Moro is a universal threat, if he wins he can literally feast on everything and everyone, so Beerus needs to deal with him before he goes unchecked and becomes a problem for the entire multiverse.

Triggered Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by Triggered Vegeta » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:52 pm

Let's say he steals Senzu from Krillin, would that heal all his crystals? Or what if he ate the arm Merus ripped off? Could that restore him?

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:03 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:21 pm
He is defenseless after Goku beat him in combat, a fight that Moro started because he wants to devour the entire universe.

Goku sentimentalism is touching and all, but if he doesn't have the guts to deal the final blow, I hope Beerus does. At this point Moro is a universal threat, if he wins he can literally feast on everything and everyone, so Beerus needs to deal with him before he goes unchecked and becomes a problem for the entire multiverse.
Yeah honestly, Moro is someone who should be killed. It'd be dumb as hell for him to be alive. It'd be suicide for him to stay alive after this arc, especially since it'd make Merus's death seem even more pointless given he legit weakened him enough for Goku to kill him and he failed to do that. Merus's death would be for nothing and I already hate how they went with it and the reactions to it. Don't let Merus's stupid death be completely worthless by not being able to kill the fucker in his weakened state.

Merus's death was written in a way that left a bad taste in my mouth, but if they actually kept his psycho alive after all the bs he's pulled I'd think the writers have gone mad. Moro can't stay alive, he's too risky to keep around. He'll eat the galaxy and everyone dies.

Honestly, can I ask why Moro hasn't killed anyone Goku and Vegeta care about though? He's killed more his henchmen then people Goku and Vegeta are about.(Merus doesn't count, he killed himself and Moro didn't really have any control over that). I'm impressed Moro hasn't decided to be a sadistic fuck and snap someone's neck by now.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Gosh, this is so boring... can't Toyotaro see that we are already predicting what he intent to do? The only thing that he could really do to impress us if he actually had the balls to have Moro facing Beerus in a final death match.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:50 pm

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:03 pmHonestly, can I ask why Moro hasn't killed anyone Goku and Vegeta care about though?
They really don't want to kill anyone from the main cast in this post Buu-pre EoZ period. Yeah there was Piccolo in anime's adaptation of RoF but that was so brief I doubt it will ever be acknowledged, not to mention only anime version had it and probably not Toriyama approved at all.

I wish Super took more risks with character deaths, it's not like they wouldn't be wished back anyway.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:32 pm

So...

This chapter went down as I hoped and predicted... MUI Goku annihilated Full Power Moro with zero difficulty, and I think that's as should have been expected. Personally, I thought Omen should have been more than a match for less than full power Moro quite a few chapters ago, but that's gone with the wind. Full Power Moro stands no chance against Goku, and Goku gives it to him, no quarter, beats the shit out of him, makes him look pathetic. Alright. So far so predictable.

But then Goku just... what? Decides to... not? What the fuck is Goku planning now? Is he literally going to voluntarily "power down" from MUI to fight Moro as, well, whatever "an Earthling" even means? Is this supposed to somehow tie into wherever Gohan's development is going to (if not six feet under the ground)? Is Goku going to fight him in base form or something? I mean, sure, Moro's so whipped, a boulder has bested him at this point. Roshi could come a give him a Coup de Grace, I'd think, albeit, perhaps dangerously.

Where is this going now? Toyo, what exactly are you playing at? I didn't expect the W in this chapter, but... that ending is... odd. Beerus, I think, has plenty of right to be concerned, because, GoD, so do I.
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:49 pm

Ziegander wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:32 pm So...

This chapter went down as I hoped and predicted... MUI Goku annihilated Full Power Moro with zero difficulty, and I think that's as should have been expected. Personally, I thought Omen should have been more than a match for less than full power Moro quite a few chapters ago, but that's gone with the wind. Full Power Moro stands no chance against Goku, and Goku gives it to him, no quarter, beats the shit out of him, makes him look pathetic. Alright. So far so predictable.

But then Goku just... what? Decides to... not? What the fuck is Goku planning now? Is he literally going to voluntarily "power down" from MUI to fight Moro as, well, whatever "an Earthling" even means? Is this supposed to somehow tie into wherever Gohan's development is going to (if not six feet under the ground)? Is Goku going to fight him in base form or something? I mean, sure, Moro's so whipped, a boulder has bested him at this point. Roshi could come a give him a Coup de Grace, I'd think, albeit, perhaps dangerously.

Where is this going now? Toyo, what exactly are you playing at? I didn't expect the W in this chapter, but... that ending is... odd. Beerus, I think, has plenty of right to be concerned, because, GoD, so do I.
Yeah, I don't understand what the plan is here. This ending is a bit odd. Unless Moro somehow heals himself or steal the senzu beans, Goku legit should kill him even in his base form. Even Krillin should be able to kill Moro with how battered and weak he is. I don't see how Moro could fight Goku at this point other than getting healed, because as it stands, Moro is pretty much near death.

Beerus is probably worried Goku is going to do something stupid like not kill him automatically and toy with him, which will bite everyone in the ass I assure at some point next chapter.

Honestly, I kinda hope they let Moro kill one of the cast, because Moro has yet to kill anyone directly in a while. If they're going to have Moro come back and have this bite them, might as well have him kill someone eventually.

FishermanJohnWest
Beyond Newbie

Post by FishermanJohnWest » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:38 pm

This last 6 chapters is nothing but a Cell saga rip off

Merus is android 16

Vegeta vs Moro = Vegeta vs Semi Cell, Moro goes into his perfect form lol

Moro fighting MUI and goes FP, and he still loses, just like SSj2 Gohan vs Cell

Goku can't win against Moro with Omen, just like he couldn't win against Cell 1 v 1

Moro henchmen vs Goku to save them, just like Gohan one-shotting the Cell jr cause the Z fighters couldn't handle them

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 pm

I am willing to be that this arc will probably end in November, just in time for Jump Festa so they can Either announce the next arc or the return of the Anime. So My Guess is we have two more chapters left and Honestly I don’t think the ending will be able to tie up all the loose ends the arc has built up in two chapters without either being rushed and cluttered or just ignoring some parts. I mean Krillin is still coming with the Senzu Beans so something Is bound to happen but thats my official stance on when this arc will come to an end.

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:24 am

What if Vegeta comes in and takes the kill from Goku?

Krillin shows up, gives a senzu to Vegeta, and whammie.

They could even have a call back to the Resurrection arc and Vegeta says they are even. That way Vegeta gets his win, and they don't make Ultra Instinct lose somehow.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:08 am

Moro got dealt some good karma. Now let's see how they drag this out

Omgzord
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omgzord » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:29 am

Man this arc has been hot garbage ever since Goku arrived at the scene with his shitty Ultra Instinct.

Moro doesn't even use 90% of his abilities anymore and he's reduced to a much lamer Cell RipOff. The idea behind this arc was how magic and haxx overcome pure strength and how need more than just big arms to win a battle, it's shown with how Moro wipe the floor with Goku and Vegeta despite being weaker than them.

Toyotaro had to recton Moro's magic because writing more than two dudes punching each other seems to be beyond his abilities. I am still wondering why UI is even in this arc. Logically Moro could have solo'ed hard with his magic but because this is DBS we must have a PIS at every turn.

UI Should have been saved for his rematch with Beerus which would have worked much better narratively, Moro should have been changed by Buu and the Supreme Kai more

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:44 am

Ziegander wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:32 pm So...

Indeed, this is one of the few times Beerus is actually caring about his job and concerned about the protection of the cosmos, and for that I respect him. Let's hope Beerus just erases Moro and frees us from this arc. I am 100% rooting for him.