"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Shineman » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:45 pm

Cipher wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:14 am
By the way, does anyone have an insight of how Merus is pronounced? I have an idea... but I'm pretty sure I'm 100% wrong on its pronunciation.
His name is a joint pun on the Japanese surume--dried, shredded squid--keeping in line with other seafood names within the Galactic Patrol, and mezcal, keeping in line with the alcohol-based names for angels.

Either way, the anglicized name of "Merus" (off of the Japanese Merusu) would be pronounced "Meh-rus," if one wanted to preserve his puns.
Ahh, thank you for answering! Yeah, I definitely said his name wrong for the last couple of months :lol:.

And for the coloring pages, aren't they colored by Toyotaro, or done by another colorist just like the Dragon Ball colored manga a few years back? Either way, I'm surprised at the colors for some characters, neutral on it or just indifference.

As for the discussion on Moro, I prefer the goat-design compared to his 73 one; makes him stand out way more.
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

I run a general discussion site: https://cosmiccitycrews.com/index.php

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:55 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:35 am I just want Moro to be given justice next chapter.
He's a character, not a person. His role is to serve the plot, not to be served by the plot.

There is no "justice" to give. What I want Moro to be given is some goddamn character development or anything to make him even moderately interesting.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:44 am

BagetaSama wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:02 pmI mean that's pretty fair. You think it's too slow? Or too fast?
It's been too slow for a monthly manga. I don't mind pacing issues on weekly manga, because if a chapter is slow then it's just a week wait until the next one. The problem here is that a fight will be set up, such as Omen Goku vs Moro, only to be told at the end it wasn't the "real" fight, and that we'll have to wait yet another month for it. They also spent too much time with the side characters and Moro's men. This won't be an issue once it's animated, as the wait between episodes will just be a week, but it's definitely an issue for monthly reading.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:21 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:44 am
BagetaSama wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:02 pmI mean that's pretty fair. You think it's too slow? Or too fast?
It's been too slow for a monthly manga. I don't mind pacing issues on weekly manga, because if a chapter is slow then it's just a week wait until the next one. The problem here is that a fight will be set up, such as Omen Goku vs Moro, only to be told at the end it wasn't the "real" fight, and that we'll have to wait yet another month for it. They also spent too much time with the side characters and Moro's men. This won't be an issue once it's animated, as the wait between episodes will just be a week, but it's definitely an issue for monthly reading.
I agree with you. But don’t seem to realize just how long a month really is. Especially when the waiting occurs EVERY month again. If the manga was weekly, it would have been so much more satisfying.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:44 am

TKA wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:55 pm
Xeogran wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:35 am I just want Moro to be given justice next chapter.
He's a character, not a person. His role is to serve the plot, not to be served by the plot.

There is no "justice" to give. What I want Moro to be given is some goddamn character development or anything to make him even moderately interesting.
DB franchise sadly isn't known for it's backstories, which is why they barely ever happen. I would love a chapter at least half spent on Moro's past (and not him fighting Grand Kaioshin, but who he even is and where he comes from, why is he evil?)

But since they like never happen, many readers would think it to be more prolonging and "waste of a month", which is why Toyotaro is afraid of doing them :thumbdown:

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:05 am

I've seen the chapter ... does this feel much shorter or is it my idea?
annyway I will praise the drawing and the new design of goku UI much more muscular ... the previous design of the top I did not sincerely like

I can't say much there was nothing more than just the main fight ...
I will only say that the drama and the dialogues do not have the "weight" that they should have ... because We do not know to Merus, which planets he helped or because he cares about mortals in any case it is not his universe ... at least with Zamasu he gave time to show the viewer why he hated them in anime and manga but anyway I will have to complain about the same ones that others have already said toyotaro lacks creativity when it comes to showing fights and skills outside of some "brutal" scene with holes in the stomach ... does not take advantage of all the potential that Moro has as a magician ... and although it sounds strange, Merus' fight felt much better and more interesting, it is not necessary to clarify that it does not seem like a final fight

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:45 am

Shineman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:45 pmAnd for the coloring pages, aren't they colored by Toyotaro, or done by another colorist just like the Dragon Ball colored manga a few years back? Either way, I'm surprised at the colors for some characters, neutral on it or just indifference.
The color Super volumes are done by uncredited colorist teams (?), just like all of Shueisha's other colored Jump manga lines. (DB, JoJo, One Piece, Naruto, etc.)

Since there are spots that deviate from the artists' own coloring, including in Super, it's unlikely the original artists get much or any say in them (or choose not to have much do to busy schedules; I'm not privy to what the workflow is).

All of their colored manga lines do tend to reference the original artists' coloration style and coloring choices though, even if there are deviations. While Super takes some cues from the anime, there's also a general attempt to privilege consistency with Toyotaro's own colored illustrations and especially volume covers. In general (again, there are exceptions), their reference/privilege order seems to be 1. Toyotaro's cover illustrations, and where no reference in those exists, 2. the anime. (Sometimes Toyotaro himself isn't consistent as well; he has color illustrations with both pink- and tan-armed Piccolo, for example.)

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:17 pm

Drafts are out

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1315821438562004992
https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1315821674806165504

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:21 pm

The spoilers are worse than I imagined lol

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:35 pm

Oh my God... talk about artificially extending the plot...

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Afraid to analyze anything out in the open here without it being some sort of spoiler or implication of one-- so on to the tag.
I don't want to jump to conclusions too fast though. Maybe it'll go somewhere good.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:43 pm

Sweet jumping jackle lanterns, Gokuu better straight up kill Moro in this chapter so this fight can be done with.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:13 pm

Time for the usual complaints about the drafts which tend to be addressed by the full chapter, I guess.
Though I have to say that I'm having a bit of an "I told you so" moment with a certain plot point in these drafts. (I don't remember if I said it here, though.) I'll avoid mentioning it directly due to spoilers, but put simply, Toyotaro didn't set it up in order to not use it, and there you go, now he's using it.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:27 pm

Alruneia wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:13 pm Time for the usual complaints about the drafts which tend to be addressed by the full chapter, I guess.
Though I have to say that I'm having a bit of an "I told you so" moment with a certain plot point in these drafts. (I don't remember if I said it here, though.) I'll avoid mentioning it directly due to spoilers, but put simply, Toyotaro didn't set it up in order to not use it, and there you go, now he's using it.
Here is the thing no matter how it turns out (whether Goku wins or loses) its disappointing to me so the draft pages are very much enough for me to judge because what comes next doesn’t matter.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:31 pm

Can someone explained what happened? I don't understand by looking at the pics...What did Goku give him?
Last edited by Femme Fatale Kikaza on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:32 pm

Can they fire him already please?

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:33 pm

Cool thing to see Goku use hakai on that rock, I dig it. I thought the fact that Goku knows that technique was going to be ignored forever.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:37 pm

Wait was that a senzu bean he gave Moro? UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!! We're repeating the same mistake! Is Goku incapable of learning from things?
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:45 pm

HulkTySSJ4

Post by HulkTySSJ4 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:53 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:45 pm
Too good to be true...