"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Draconic
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Draconic » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:21 am

Goku gave him a Senzu to let Vegeta defuse Moro and 7-3 and the just kill Moro, while allowing 7-3 back to prison.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:24 am

Goku is officially retarded haha, imagine saving the life of a universal threat. I hope Beerus destroys him after this. Fuck the Earth and all its people, they have endangered the cosmos way too many times. If I were Beerus, I would straight up destroy Moro and the rest of that accursed planet, there's only so much stupidity I can tolerate.

Come on Beerus, do it! Be our hero!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:47 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:52 am I've no idea how anyone didn't see this coming; we just had a lengthy discussion like 8 pages ago about how likely and in-character this would be. It's almost like people would rather pretend like that's not true so that they can get angry about it when it happens... :roll:
Discussing that it could happen and actually seeing it happen are two different things. Yes, it was not outside the realm of possibilities.

I would LOVE for the full chapter to be able to sell me this decision. I've been wrong before.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:25 am

Toyo really doesn't want to end this saga already, does he?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:35 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:25 am Toyo really doesn't want to end this saga already, does he?
I thought it'd end next month, but I think it'll be a lot longer than that.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:49 am

What if in the next panel, realizing Moro can't change, one punches him to death, ending the story :think:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:52 am

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:49 am What if in the next panel, realizing Moro can't change, one punches him to death, ending the story :think:
You joke, but that's genuinely how this beat reads?

Goku doesn't execute downed, begging opponents, so he gives Moro the chance to go down fighting, essentially. Just in case there's a one-in-a-million shot he actually will reform, he gives him the offer, but it really reads like Goku being so confident he's mostly just out to give Moro the chance to go down less pathetically, never actually expecting him to take him up on the peaceful resolution. Now he can put him down without regret, as a fighter.

Expecting it to backfire somehow because DB climax (and because it feels like Vegeta needs to come back for the actual finale), but I don't think there's anything wild about the character beat here on Goku's part.

Prediction that probably won't come true: Now that we've been reminded of it, will we see Hakai come out one more time this chapter, if Goku is now determined (and now feels justified by his own personal standards) to kill Moro mid-fight?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:08 am

Cipher wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:52 am
mute_proxy wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:49 am What if in the next panel, realizing Moro can't change, one punches him to death, ending the story :think:
You joke, but that's genuinely how this beat reads?

Goku doesn't execute downed, begging opponents, so he gives Moro the chance to go down fighting, essentially. Just in case there's a one-in-a-million shot he actually will reform, he gives him the offer, but it really reads like Goku being so confident he's mostly just out to give Moro the chance to go down less pathetically, never actually expecting him to take him up on the peaceful resolution. Now he can put him down without regret, as a fighter.

Expecting it to backfire somehow because DB climax (and because it feels like Vegeta needs to come back for the actual finale), but I don't think there's anything wild about the character beat here on Goku's part.

Prediction that probably won't come true: Now that we've been reminded of it, will we see Hakai come out one more time this chapter, if Goku is now determined (and now feels justified by his own personal standards) to kill Moro mid-fight?
So what you are saying he'd rather kill him à la Cell, as in while Moro is standing and fighting instead of kneeling and begging because Goku couldn't stomach doing someone in like that? I mean that is perfectly in-character for Goku and I could definitely see that being his reason instead something like him hoping to prolong a good fight. This interpretation sure is more palatable, but the long list of unnecessary call-backs have made me wary of such moments.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:18 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:08 amSo what you are saying he'd rather kill him à la Cell, as in while Moro is standing and fighting instead of kneeling and begging because Goku couldn't stomach doing someone in like that? I mean that is perfectly in-character for Goku and I could definitely see that being his reason instead something like him hoping to prolong a good fight. This interpretation sure is more palatable, but the long list of unnecessary call-backs have made me wary of such moments.
I think what Goku would rather do would be to have Moro take him up on his offer of a peaceful resolution, but I don't believe he sincerely expects that.

Given what we have so far (I could always be wrong), my reading is that Goku simply wants to defeat Moro as a fighter rather than an executioner, especially given the latter was down and pleading. He created a scenario in which--if he's taken up on the offer, great!--but in the far more likely case he isn't, Moro can be put down without regret and while fighting. His total control over the situation allows him to make that move, whereas previous cases in which he's gone for or encouraged either executionary or unsportsman-like kills (Cell, Zamasu), he was very much not in control and desperately needed to end the situation when he could.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:35 am

Cipher wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:18 am
Michsi wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:08 amSo what you are saying he'd rather kill him à la Cell, as in while Moro is standing and fighting instead of kneeling and begging because Goku couldn't stomach doing someone in like that? I mean that is perfectly in-character for Goku and I could definitely see that being his reason instead something like him hoping to prolong a good fight. This interpretation sure is more palatable, but the long list of unnecessary call-backs have made me wary of such moments.
I think what Goku would rather do would be to have Moro take him up on his offer of a peaceful resolution, but I don't believe he sincerely expects that.

Given what we have so far (I could always be wrong), my reading is that Goku simply wants to defeat Moro as a fighter rather than an executioner, especially given the latter was down and pleading. He created a scenario in which--if he's taken up on the offer, great!--but in the far more likely case he isn't, Moro can be put down without regret and while fighting. His total control over the situation allows him to make that move, whereas previous cases in which he's gone for or encouraged either executionary or unsportsman-like kills (Cell, Zamasu), he was very much not in control and desperately needed to end the situation when he could.
Yeah, I actually agree with all of this. I suppose it all depends on whether or not he truly is as in control of the situation as he thinks. If Moro has another ace up his sleeve and it all goes south this will end up making him look pretty bad. It's still too similar to what he pulled with Cell, where he was equally as confident about the outcome.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:10 am

I rarely ever be negative on this forum, because I don't really like negativity, I'm more of a positivity type of guy, I'll give a few criticisms here or there, but never go on big rants or anything... but this... this is... one of the only exceptions... there is absolutely nothing positive about what's going down right now in the manga... and is very rant worthy...

Goku...

What...

THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

(Please excuse the profanity, I'm just really mad right now)
Caulifla best girl! :)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:12 am

This is classic Goku.

Remember that it’s the same guy who back on Namek was willing to leave the fight with Freeza cause he proved his superiority. And Freeza was still standing and had killed Krillin just a few minutes earlier.

By Goku’s perspective, compared to Namek Freeza Moro is a nice guy. He hasn’t killed anyone valuable to Goku.
Also Goku has now achieved UI, the ultimate power. He is very confident that no matter what, Moro can’t do anything against him.

But yeah, most likely Moro will have some other ace up his sleeve.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:32 am

I would absolutely love it if this brain-dead act of idiocy comes back to bite Goku in the ass. Hard.

I doubt it will, because Goku is Goku, and he has to get the win in the end, but it'd be a most welcome development.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:44 am

emperior wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:12 am This is classic Goku.

Remember that it’s the same guy who back on Namek was willing to leave the fight with Freeza cause he proved his superiority. And Freeza was still standing and had killed Krillin just a few minutes earlier.
Yeah, it's why i'm not a huge fan of Z Goku. Oh well, at least he's hot.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:00 am

I don't often read the drafts for fear of spoiling myself but for this I made an exception, seeing as everyone already felt intent on spoiling it anyway...

What are you doing, step-Son?

I love Krillin and Jaco's utterly exasperated reactions to this development. That's clearly the intended reaction with this. While the scenario is totally in-character for Goku, it's pretty flippin' unoriginal, let's be honest. This arc can be fairly described as "so let's just do the same shit... again", not so different to how the early Z movies would recreate beats from the anime line-for-line.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:17 am

Moro in general is somewhat of a rip-off of Cell when you think about it

Both eat people
Both ate an android in order to transform
Both have very little personality
Their final forms have the same face basically
Both looked better in the forms they debuted with
Both got a senzu from Goku
The author had to make the other characters make dumb decisions in order for Cell/Moro to not die.
The author had to introduce a new character for the saga (16/Merus) and then kill them so that the main protagonist (Gohan/Goku) can get a power boost.

What's next, Moro will blow himself up?

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 am

This is the cell arc but 100x worse. Someone kill Moro now before he achieves some ultimate form that fucks everyone over or on the off chance MUI drains itself out.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:31 am

This is not Cell and I don't think this is is even Freeza.

The former came from over confidence in his son, the latter came from pure pity.

This seems like Goku is purposely baiting.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:35 am

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:49 amWhat if in the next panel, realizing Moro can't change, one punches him to death, ending the story :think:
I really hope this happens, as I'm beyond ready for this arc to end. That's not going to happen though, as Vegeta still needs a round 2, Beerus needs to fight, and maybe Buu for good measure. That's a good 6 months of chapters.

Another issue I have with Goku's decision is that we know for a fact he won't pay for it. When Goku pulled this with Cell, he died and was gone for 7 years. It completely changed the path of DB's story. Here though, no one's going to hold him accountable, not the characters and definitely not the writers. There's also the fact that Merus DIED to give him this chance...only for him to throw it away ? not only did he throw it away, he went out of his way to help him. So much for being angry over his teacher's death a chapter ago. Just when I think Modern Goku can't be written any more dis-likable, I'm proven wrong.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:50 am

DevilKing99 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:35 pm This is the worst chapter of any Dragon Ball product ever.

This shall go down as the worst received dragon ball chapter ever.

I never saw as much hate for Ichigo, Naruto, and Luffy as I see for Goku for what he did in this chapter.
This is the first time I've seen "Goku" trend on Twitter due to the manga. I'll wait to see what happens, but this aint lookin' too good ...
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-