"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:48 pm

Brettjr25 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:41 pmIt may not be a big of an asspull than dragon fist which has became a stable in db community.

So where do we go from Ultimate Mastered UI with kaiju mode?
Isn't the Dragon in that attack more of an image, kind of like the great ape that appeared behind Goku while he went through king Piccolo ? I don't think it is an actual dragon that comes out of nowhere.

They'll figure something out, as no one can come up with more bullsh*t than DB's current writers.
YamiGoku wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:42 pm I think this is what Goku is doing
We see his giant clone pushing Moro back while he stands in the middle of it, so this is an accurate comparison.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:33 pm I like how they're going through all this trouble to basically do what Merus died doing, break the crystal in Moro's head.
Kepiaschkz wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:29 pmIt is the true Goku in his true-sized, normal scale. He was just engulfed in the head of the huge Ki version of himself.
I took another look at it, and you're right. Still though, it's a very odd thing to do. How is this Goku...clone thing pushing back Moro ? is it a solid being ?
It looks like he has taken full control of his ki and is able to control it as an extension of himself instead of just turning it into a ball and throwing it like he usually does.

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:52 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:42 pm I think this is what Goku is doing
That's the concept yes. And it's not an asspull. You know how to materialize your Ki outside your body? You know how to give it a random shape ( ball, disc, drill bit)? So you have the basis to make huge anthropomorphic Ki attack. It just need more practice, experience and concentration. And certainly a lot more quantity/volume of Ki.

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:55 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:52 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:33 pm I like how they're going through all this trouble to basically do what Merus died doing, break the crystal in Moro's head.
Kepiaschkz wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:29 pmIt is the true Goku in his true-sized, normal scale. He was just engulfed in the head of the huge Ki version of himself.
I took another look at it, and you're right. Still though, it's a very odd thing to do. How is this Goku...clone thing pushing back Moro ? is it a solid being ?
It looks like he has taken full control of his ki and is able to control it as an extension of himself instead of just turning it into a ball and throwing it like he usually does.
This. I couldn't have explained it better.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:56 pm

Shock aside, there is enough precedent of 1)DB using popular elements 2)Ki-shaping techniques, including Ki-blades and Kamikaze Ghosts. It does seem sudden, but lets wait to see it in context.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Kepiaschkz wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:52 pmYou know how to materialize your Ki outside your body? You know how to give it a random shape ( ball, disc, drill bit)? So you have the basis to make huge anthropomorphic Ki attack. It just need more practice, experience and concentration. And certainly a lot more quantity/volume of Ki.
This explanation makes sense, but I'm still not a fan of it. It's such a random and (potentially) very overpowered move to have.

Triggered Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by Triggered Vegeta » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:59 pm

This is actually pretty dope. I know some people may dislike this. Ok with me :clap:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:00 pm

The manifestation of someone's ki can be shaped in different ways. Zamasu shaped his ki like a blade, Black took it to the next level and shaped it like a scythe, many can shape it like a disk, I suppose it's also possible to shape it after yourself.

Rethinking about it, this doesn't remind of Fused Zamasu's attack too much because his "avatar" was actually sentient, as it groaned. I doubt that whatever Goku summons will do that. It's a mere manifestation of his internal ki, and not an actual "summoned entity".

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:04 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:57 pm
Kepiaschkz wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:52 pmYou know how to materialize your Ki outside your body? You know how to give it a random shape ( ball, disc, drill bit)? So you have the basis to make huge anthropomorphic Ki attack. It just need more practice, experience and concentration. And certainly a lot more quantity/volume of Ki.
This explanation makes sense, but I'm still not a fan of it. It's such a random and (potentially) very overpowered move to have.
Dragon Ball does have a lot of random ass pulls but this doesn't seem like one. This new technique is the logical conclusion of mastering ki control, and since he is in a mastered state right now it makes sense.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:06 pm

Borrows too much from Naruto for me.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:08 pm

To explain why I'm not a fan of it as it currently stands, this kind of energy manipulation with your own ki, along with gigantification, is perfect for someone who's been training to use Spirit Control... in other words, this would be a perfect thing for Vegeta to do. It doesn't sit right with me that something like this, which works so well with Vegeta's training in this arc, is given to Goku instead, when Goku already fully regained UI (or at least Sign). He really does not need to get everything for free just because he's the main character. Which is why I'm waiting for the full chapter to come out so that we can see everything in context and maybe have some things be explained to us.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Alruneia wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:08 pm Which is why I'm waiting for the full chapter to come out so that we can see everything in context and maybe have some things be explained to us.
Would you be fine if it turns out that Vegeta gave his Spirit Energy to Goku? It would still be an asspull (as Goku never completed the Yardrat training) but also at least explain what the giant reflection is.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Alruneia wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:08 pmHe really does not need to get everything for free just because he's the main character.
This has been an issue since RF, as characters are constantly being given power ups and techniques they didn't earn.

Trek405

Post by Trek405 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:27 pm

Alruneia wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:08 pm To explain why I'm not a fan of it as it currently stands, this kind of energy manipulation with your own ki, along with gigantification, is perfect for someone who's been training to use Spirit Control... in other words, this would be a perfect thing for Vegeta to do.
This is my biggest issue right now and unfortunately I saw it coming a mile away. I'm going to wait for the full chapter but it feels like vegeta's training was built up only to contribute almost nothing.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:27 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:14 pm
Alruneia wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:08 pm Which is why I'm waiting for the full chapter to come out so that we can see everything in context and maybe have some things be explained to us.
Would you be fine if it turns out that Vegeta gave his Spirit Energy to Goku? It would still be an asspull (as Goku never completed the Yardrat training) but also at least explain what the giant reflection is.
As long as it doesn't turn out that Goku's able to do this with little to no reason, it'll probably be relatively fine. Some kind of transfer (of energy or knowledge or whatever else) from Vegeta to Goku would be a pretty interesting way to have Goku become able to do it, actually.
Matches Malone wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:21 pm
Alruneia wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:08 pmHe really does not need to get everything for free just because he's the main character.
This has been an issue since RF, as characters are constantly being given power ups and techniques they didn't earn.
I don't think they've all been as egregious as this, though... This one certainly feels more extreme, at least. (Once again, this is based on incomplete leaks, so take it with a grain of salt.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Alruneia wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:08 pm To explain why I'm not a fan of it as it currently stands, this kind of energy manipulation with your own ki, along with gigantification, is perfect for someone who's been training to use Spirit Control... in other words, this would be a perfect thing for Vegeta to do. It doesn't sit right with me that something like this, which works so well with Vegeta's training in this arc, is given to Goku instead, when Goku already fully regained UI (or at least Sign). He really does not need to get everything for free just because he's the main character. Which is why I'm waiting for the full chapter to come out so that we can see everything in context and maybe have some things be explained to us.
Yep....All the built up with Vegeta seems to come to absolutely nothing. He brought the Namekians back to life which was given little fanfare and which I argue could also have been done with Dragon Balls

They might as well have written out all the scenes with Vegeta with what they amounted too. Nothing!

Obviously this is only based on what we know so far. Maybe there is something more. But I am not getting my hopes up.

I knew they wouldn’t go with Vegeta taking Moro out of Earth. They rather go with a twist instead lol

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:38 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:28 pmI knew they wouldn’t go with Vegeta taking Moro out of Earth. They rather go with a twist instead lol
A plot twist is something that should make sense given the context of the story, what we're getting is just random shock moments for the sake of getting people talking.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:42 pm

So this is just like Gotenks making exploding sentient ghost clone.
...Well done...

The art is still off . Are they supposed to be reaching cloud ? Yet there are visible trees on the ground

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:27 am It looks like Goku can...whatever the hell this is.
Ah, our usual DB leaks without context. Gotta love them.
From the little we know, I agree with the people that say this would fit Vegeta better due to his yardrat training than Goku though.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:43 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:38 pm
Kinokima wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:28 pmI knew they wouldn’t go with Vegeta taking Moro out of Earth. They rather go with a twist instead lol
A plot twist is something that should make sense given the context of the story, what we're getting is just random shock moments for the sake of getting people talking.
You mean a good plot twist :)