"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DiscountDabi » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:42 pm

emperior wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:35 pm I wouldn’t mind if it turns out he was a survivor from the Tsufuru. The fact he uses weapons, has a sort of scouter similar to the old models used by Paragas in the movie, the clothing and his seemingly connection with 73 which has been created by advanced technology could all be hints that he is indeed a Tsufuru.
I didn’t even consider that. Nice Catch!

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:13 pm

Is it possible that Granola is a bounty hunter or assassin?
Maybe he is going in to stop the evil scheme by that alien organization from creating an army of 7-3s?
Unless somebody can understand what is being said in the final panel that clearly states that he is there to unleash the 7-3s.
Last edited by Super Murjin on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:21 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:31 pm
Kanassa wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:15 pmIt's not rush judgment, it's "I have a bad feeling about this." I don't know what will specifically happen, I don't know how far it will be carried, I do know that the manga making a point that 73 is still alive and the later page following that with 'Oh no, an army of 73's' in a set up for these points to be important puts me at the opposite of interest.
Now I may be mistaken, but this statement seems to say that you're currently of the opinion that you're not going to be interested in/you will actively dislike an arc that you haven't read yet, because of isolated plot points you happen to know about.

How is that not a rush to judgement?
The statement says that the direction the plot seems to be going in isn't one that fills me with hope based on previous disappointment with Toyo's writing and what's presented here. I'm not judging the whole arc before it's released, I'm saying I'm not hopeful for the arc which is a difference; otherwise, it'd lead to the logic that we shouldn't comment on anything at all until the entire manga's finished. It's like how people are seeing the army of 73's and getting hyped, are they making a rush judgment of an arc that they haven't read yet?
I'm sure you have your reasons - everybody does (and you're hardly unique, I should say - It's not my intention to single you out; you're just 'here for it' right now). But it really does seem like you've made the conclusion an inevitability here, no matter what actually happens.
B-but my mommy told me I was unique!

In all seriousness, I think you're taking my words with a harsher tone than intended. My intention wasn't to go "Welp, this arc is ruined before it began", it was just to add reasoning to why a specific moment makes me worry with a joke statement about me groaning because I don't like 73, don't see such a nothing character adding much and that it adds onto a present flaw in the Moro arc. I had a similar reaction way back when I first watched the Frieza Saga and saw Vegeta get brought back to life.

On this peculation front: I call that Granola is just a really enthusiastic health nut here to teach the saiyans about a more nutritious diet. He's the villain becasue that diet does not include meat!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:52 pm

Kanassa wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:21 pmThe statement says that the direction the plot seems to be going in isn't one that fills me with hope based on previous disappointment with Toyo's writing and what's presented here. I'm not judging the whole arc before it's released, I'm saying I'm not hopeful for the arc which is a difference;
I accept that there is at least a difference in principle, but I've generally found that once someone voices a sentiment of that order, it's a given that further sentiments will be issued in the established vein; particularly in a serialisation, one can form a habit of justifying one's previous opinions by doubling down on them as things go on.

It's not really my intention to simply be down on you for expressing your difficulties with what you've seen so far - all my comments are really aimed at is to prod people here to keep an open mind until we've at least seen something really substantial out of the arc. The only thing I think can really be said with certainty is that there will be good things and bad things about the arc, and whether it ends up "good" overall or not depends on specifically how the plot unfolds and hangs together, which can only really be determined in proper (fuller) context.
Kanassa wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:21 pmotherwise, it'd lead to the logic that we shouldn't comment on anything at all until the entire manga's finished.
I don't know that it does unless one is intent on pushing it there (arcs, for instance, serve as basically self-contained stories that can be readily subjected to such a judgement), but I certainly do think that a retrospective approach has definite advantages over incrementally-gathered impressions, yes.
Kanassa wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:21 pmIt's like how people are seeing the army of 73's and getting hyped, are they making a rush judgment of an arc that they haven't read yet?
I'd say no, because the 'hype' is that they like and enjoy that beat, and are intrigued by it. Which, as the hook at the end of the Chapter, is what it's actually designed to do, which just means the beat has served its purpose. That it fails to do that for you is fair enough: one cannot please everybody. I'm just cautioning about how far we should judge its significance, when considering the whole, as ultimately it'll be the whole story that really counts.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:33 pm

I am not judging the story of this arc, as we know very little yet.
But i was hoping we would FINALLY go to some other universe(s) again and explore other worlds.
For the time being it does not seem to point towards that direction.
Toriyama created all these opportunities for storytelling in new worlds during the first part of Super.
It would be a shame to not use those opportunities and keep dribbling in U7 for arcs to come.

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:46 pm

I hope what happens is that it will be kinda like what we saw in the Indiana Jones movies.

At the start of each Indy movie there was always a mini-adventure prior to the main storyline of the film.

Temple of Doom - had Dr. Jones trying to get Murhachi's remains from Lao Che
Raiders of the Lost Ark - Dr. Jones was in South America trying to steal the idol from within the hidden temple
Last Crusade - Dr. Jones was trying to get back the Cross relic from the man in the white hat
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Dr. Jones was trying to escape from Area 51

Maybe, just maybe they can do the same for this new arc.

Intro is basically the introduction of Granola .... we think he is evil .... and then maybe the twist is that he is out to destroy the 7-3 clones.
This may not even be the main plot of this arc, just an introduction to show what he is capable of.

I don't think 7-3 becoming the next threat sounds too intriguing. We literally just saw him fused with Moro, the greatest threat ever, a chapter ago. Might as well just continue calling it the Galactic Prisoner Arc if that whole 7-3 thing ain't done yet.

My only hope for this is that this could be a call back to the start of the Android Arc. Remember Frieza and King Cold come to Earth and then face off against Future Trunks. I wonder what fans thought back then. Oh Frieza is back already....guess it will be a 20 plus chapter adventure of Frieza and his dad killing earthlings and fighting this new Trunks guy and then maybe Goku comes back and after a long battle with the two of them he eventually wins. If they ever thought that, they were wrong cause it wrapped up fairly quickly and then moved onto the Android segment with Future Trunks warning them of the future threat, etc.

I would like something like this to happen for the Granola Arc.
Last edited by Super Murjin on Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:48 pm

If this actually turns out to be similar to Baby, it would have been neat if it was set in universe 6. Sadala, anyone?

Heck, even U11 to throw us a curveball and not go for the obvious Sadala.

I can't wait to see what's actually going on.

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:51 pm

ZodiacBeast wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:48 pm If this actually turns out to be similar to Baby, it would have been neat if it was set in universe 6. Sadala, anyone?

Maybe something like that would be the main plot point....after Ganola defeats the 7-3 clone army.
Assuming that is the reason he is there, to kill them off.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:55 pm

ZodiacBeast wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:48 pm If this actually turns out to be similar to Baby, it would have been neat if it was set in universe 6. Sadala, anyone?

Heroes already used the "machine mutants in universe 6 taking over Saiyans" concept, and Tsufruians aren't native to U11.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:01 pm

Yuji wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:55 pm

Heroes already used the "machine mutants in universe 6 taking over Saiyans" concept, and Tsufruians aren't native to U11.
I know it's not likely, but it could still happen.

Maybe

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:02 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:52 pm I accept that there is at least a difference in principle, but I've generally found that once someone voices a sentiment of that order, it's a given that further sentiments will be issued in the established vein; particularly in a serialisation, one can form a habit of justifying one's previous opinions by doubling down on them as things go on.
I mean, couldn't you technically say you're participating in that right now, just instead of it being towards a story, you're insinuating what I will be saying about the story?
I'd say no, because the 'hype' is that they like and enjoy that beat, and are intrigued by it. Which, as the hook at the end of the Chapter, is what it's actually designed to do, which just means the beat has served its purpose. That it fails to do that for you is fair enough: one cannot please everybody. I'm just cautioning about how far we should judge its significance, when considering the whole, as ultimately it'll be the whole story that really counts.
So, your only issue with my statement isn't actually that you felt it was an unfair judgment or preemptive, it's that it's negative?

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:39 pm

I'm hearing that..
..was a mistranslation, Is that true?

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:41 pm

shadd21 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:39 pm I'm hearing that..
I’ve heard the same apparently it was supposed to say

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:42 pm

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:46 pm

I think other universes will be involved. I don't see new battles on Earth and Namek this time around. I can see universe 6 in the plot thanks to the Super Dragon Balls which must be currently active.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:00 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:41 pm
I’ve heard the same apparently it was supposed to say
To be fair, the reaction could be a more "That guy gets to go partying while I'm being treated like a squeaky toy? He screwed the pooch as much as me!" exclamation of surprise.

Kanassa wrote:

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:32 pm

It was translated by Herms so I don't see way around it

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:11 pm

Maybe Merus is brought back by the Dragon Balls? I don't see why he couldn't be.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:42 pm

head_cha_la wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:46 pmI can see universe 6 in the plot thanks to the Super Dragon Balls which must be currently active.
Did they mention if one year already passed?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:19 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:42 pm
head_cha_la wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:46 pmI can see universe 6 in the plot thanks to the Super Dragon Balls which must be currently active.
Did they mention if one year already passed?
I don't know how much time has passed, but I imagine we are not far from the 12 months since the tournament. The Super Dragon Balls will necessarily be involved.