"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phLH0cW ... e=youtu.be

Toyo’s impression on Moro Arc:

“Unlike the TOP Arc, no one knew what was going on so it was very intimidating, but at the same time it was a lot of fun to draw! There's been many trial & error while I was drawing this but I think this was the best story I could express.”

This isn't a good sign for the franchise's future.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6169
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:08 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:04 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phLH0cW ... e=youtu.be

Toyo’s impression on Moro Arc:

“Unlike the TOP Arc, no one knew what was going on so it was very intimidating, but at the same time it was a lot of fun to draw! There's been many trial & error while I was drawing this but I think this was the best story I could express.”

This isn't a good sign for the franchise's future.
Does this really mean anything? Do you expect him to honestly go "I didn't think the arc was that good, it could have been better"? No matter how a creator in an industry feels, their answer is gonna be some variation of "Did the best I can and I'm proud of my work" unless it gets severe backlash for the most part.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:09 am

Image
Kanassa wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:08 am
Do you expect him to honestly go "I didn't think the arc was that good, it could have been better"?
No, but something along the lines of "We're overall happy with how it turned out, but there were mistakes I plan on avoiding in the future". Saying it's his best work doesn't make me confident about the franchise's future under him. Toriyama had no issues being critical of his own work back in the day. GT's staff were also critical of their show.

Image

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1908
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:45 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:09 am
Image
Well it looks like he's not a former angel after all, unless they can have green hair.

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:47 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:45 am
Well it looks like he's not a former angel after all, unless they can have green hair.
Do you think he could be a Tuffle ? that's what people on social media think.

User avatar
DiscountDabi
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:05 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:45 am
Matches Malone wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:09 am
Image
Well it looks like he's not a former angel after all, unless they can have green hair.
Getting Major Tuffle Vibes here

User avatar
GodVegetto91
I Live Here
Posts: 2745
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:12 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:04 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phLH0cW ... e=youtu.be

Toyo’s impression on Moro Arc:

“Unlike the TOP Arc, no one knew what was going on so it was very intimidating, but at the same time it was a lot of fun to draw! There's been many trial & error while I was drawing this but I think this was the best story I could express.”

This isn't a good sign for the franchise's future.
You do realize that that’s only in HIS opinion and view right?

For all we know the next story arc by him could be something that he is far less proud of than at the Moro arc, yet will turn out to be objectively much better in our eyes...
“The fool looks for God outside him. The wise understands that God is within him.”

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:16 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:12 am
You do realize that that’s only in HIS opinion and view right?

For all we know the next story arc by him could be something that he is far less proud of than at the Moro arc, yet will turn out to be objectively much better in our eyes...
I wouldn't expect too much if I were you. That's not to say it can't be good or won't have good elements, but the previous arc and Super as a whole say it'll more than likely be disappointing in one way or another.

User avatar
DiscountDabi
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:27 am

Image

According to this, The Granola arc was drafted by Toriyama. Hopefully that will mean a more air tight story with less wiggle room than the Moro arc had post namek but only time will tell.

superfan2024
Regular
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:45 am

DiscountDabi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:27 am
Image

According to this, The Granola arc was drafted by Toriyama. Hopefully that will mean a more air tight story with less wiggle room than the Moro arc had post namek but only time will tell.
So I see we're back to the usual with Toriyama drafting arcs again since it seemed like Moro arc was more of a collaborative draft between Toyo and Tori than what we were used to.

This throws the "If the Super-anime returns it won't adapt Moro" theory completely out the window.

Interested to see where this new arc goes. Still wish we were at EoZ already though.

User avatar
Trek405
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Trek405 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:56 am

It hasn't been confirmed oatmil/granola are tuffles but it's not a bad theory at this point.

Assuming they are this could end up having some dr raichi/hatchiyak vibes.

Physically weak scientist holding a grudge against the saiyans and building a super warrior machine to eliminate them

Obviously a reach atm tho

User avatar
DiscountDabi
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:29 am

Trek405 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:56 am
It hasn't been confirmed oatmil/granola are tuffles but it's not a bad theory at this point.

Assuming they are this could end up having some dr raichi/hatchiyak vibes.

Physically weak scientist holding a grudge against the saiyans and building a super warrior machine to eliminate them

Obviously a reach atm tho
I have almost entirely abandoned the idea of Granola being a tuffle for one main reason. His name. Tsufurijin translates to Fruit. And given Toriyama has never abandoned his naming schemes, if Granola was going to be a tuffle he would have had a Fruit pun name.

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:58 am

superfan2024 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:45 am
Still wish we were at EoZ already though.
We're a lot closer than we ever were due to Uub's contribution to Moro's defeat. We'll definitely get there, maybe sooner than later.

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:25 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kepiaschkz » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:08 am

DiscountDabi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:29 am
Trek405 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:56 am
It hasn't been confirmed oatmil/granola are tuffles but it's not a bad theory at this point.

Assuming they are this could end up having some dr raichi/hatchiyak vibes.

Physically weak scientist holding a grudge against the saiyans and building a super warrior machine to eliminate them

Obviously a reach atm tho
I have almost entirely abandoned the idea of Granola being a tuffle for one main reason. His name. Tsufurijin translates to Fruit. And given Toriyama has never abandoned his naming schemes, if Granola was going to be a tuffle he would have had a Fruit pun name.
It may be an alias though.

User avatar
Xeogran
I Live Here
Posts: 2277
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:12 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:58 am
superfan2024 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:45 am
Still wish we were at EoZ already though.
We're a lot closer than we ever were due to Uub's contribution to Moro's defeat. We'll definitely get there, maybe sooner than later.
It doesn't really change anything, people say that every arc. Uub was shown in Manga ToP yet here we are 2 (or 3 if you count Broly) arcs later still not at EoZ. And Granola's saga will last for years too.

User avatar
Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:39 am

Why does everyone wants us to rush to the EoZ? Is it preference? Is it nostalgia? You do realize that currently Toriyama and Toyo may want to fill the 'time skip' with stories because the EoZ will be the finale of Dragon Ball right? All things have to come to an end, and with no gurantee that the story will continue after EoZ I'd prefer to see 10 more arcs before it.

Anyway, if Granola is indeed a tuffle and we got this whole 7-3 crystal thing going on, I wouldn't be surprised if a 'repurposed' Hatchiyak-type of figure get introduced. Issue being, it gotta be a bit more original than 7-3 and not share many parallels with Anilaza (Like absorbing his creator). A wild theory if you may :lol:
P O W E R

User avatar
Liquir
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:27 pm
Location: Dystopia

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Liquir » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:22 am

Herms translation Of Toyotaro's Q&A:

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:27 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:39 am
Why does everyone wants us to rush to the EoZ? Is it preference? Is it nostalgia? You do realize that currently Toriyama and Toyo may want to fill the 'time skip' with stories because the EoZ will be the finale of Dragon Ball right? All things have to come to an end, and with no gurantee that the story will continue after EoZ I'd prefer to see 10 more arcs before it.

Anyway, if Granola is indeed a tuffle and we got this whole 7-3 crystal thing going on, I wouldn't be surprised if a 'repurposed' Hatchiyak-type of figure get introduced. Issue being, it gotta be a bit more original than 7-3 and not share many parallels with Anilaza (Like absorbing his creator). A wild theory if you may :lol:
That's all well and good. But it appears many would like to see arcs after the EOZ time period as well.
As for this new arc, I'd rather Granola be something completely different. But I'd be happier if he were some kind of Tuffle survivor instead of an angel like some people assume he is based off previous comments here.
I like Granola's apparent design, I prefer simplistic human like/humanoid designs like his.
Last edited by Ilikepictures-meh on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 4157
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:39 am

Now that we have the colored drawing of Granola, it’s obvious how he won’t be an Angel. And considering the Tsufurus are named after fruits it’s safe to assume he won’t be from that race either.

This means that Granola will most likely be yet another alien from an unnamed race, unless some twists happen.

I must say I really dig his design and am anxious to know more about him, his goals etcetera.

The fact this arc is based on a Toriyama’s original draft hypes me up. While I liked Moro, I felt like Toriyama wasn’t very involved in the writing besides a few

What I am most interested in is to see what they have in mind as for the future improvements of Goku and Vegeta. Especially for Goku, where the heck can he go from there? That will be interesting to see how Ultra Instinct will be handled now that Goku has fully mastered it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

User avatar
wertham
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:37 pm
Location: Spain

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by wertham » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:40 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:39 am
Why does everyone wants us to rush to the EoZ? Is it preference? Is it nostalgia? You do realize that currently Toriyama and Toyo may want to fill the 'time skip' with stories because the EoZ will be the finale of Dragon Ball right? All things have to come to an end, and with no gurantee that the story will continue after EoZ I'd prefer to see 10 more arcs before it.
The main argument is because Bulma and Goku hadn't seen each other in five years or so at the time of EoZ, and because there has to be "a period of peace" at some point to make sense of some of Goku's dialogues at the end of the original manga. That and the fact that all the main characters and the setting on Earth can't be altered in essence until we get past EoZ. Getting past EoZ means also that Goten and Trunks can grow up and be useful again (they are underused in Super, I assume, because in EoZ Goku and Vegeta said that they were weaker than before), that Pan and Uub can be important characters, that Goku can finally change his gi to the blue one (that could happen anyway, I know), etc.

It would take away the flavor of "side story" that Super have sometimes. Also, original Dragon Ball never got shy of going forward in time to make characters grow and change. Super is going forward at a slower pace than the original manga did, and it's keeping the same character models for too long. We are in a situation right now where almost more has happened in the "ten years of peace" between Buu and Uub than in any other period in the original manga :crazy:

I understand your point, but I think that getting past EoZ would benefit Super a lot, mainly because it could make it more relevant and daring than it is now.

Post Reply