"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:38 am

Of course Merus sacrifice still has consequences.
Goku mastering MUI is a great consequence.
Fact is true people come back from the death in DB all the time.
But that does not automatically mean Merus has to be brought back 'with a finger snap' at the ending of this arc.

It would have been more impactful to my taste if he had stayed 'dead' just for a little longer, leaving the reader with a question mark for future content, for him to come back in a later arc with a better explaination than just the GP's finger snap to accomplish it now already: 'here guys, look who is back'.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:28 am

Chuquita wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:12 pm I agree!

Re: Granolah and tsufru.
I'm more interested in seeing the world Granolah came from (even though the odds are low). I'd love to see Goku and company take the adventure to Granolah's home planet. I want to see the characters in a new atmosphere.
Hopefully they will move on from Earth in this arc. I want it to be set on a new Planet. I want new scenarios.

That’s one of the main reasons why I wanted (and still want) to see a Sadala arc, or even a short training on Vampa between Goku and Broly.
In fact the Yardrat part was one of my favorites of the GPP arc.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:14 pm

I've noticed a trend in Super, and surely the most smart users here did too before me.
Enemies come out from nothing, no root with MC background.
I dunno why they do so, but they did the whole time, so I'll not bet on this arc tapping to any previous lore - having 7-3 any role in the arc is ALREADY news of continuity and probably (assuming Super trend) the most you'll have of common ground.
I'm quite sure this arc will expand on new lore, not touching ANYTHING that we already knows. No Tsufurians, no past universes, no 'traits d'union'. At least, that's what happened so far - and again the reason (TO ME) they don't know if such stuff will be animated ever the way it is.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:42 pm

emperior wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:28 am
Chuquita wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:12 pm I agree!

Re: Granolah and tsufru.
I'm more interested in seeing the world Granolah came from (even though the odds are low). I'd love to see Goku and company take the adventure to Granolah's home planet. I want to see the characters in a new atmosphere.
Hopefully they will move on from Earth in this arc. I want it to be set on a new Planet. I want new scenarios.

That’s one of the main reasons why I wanted (and still want) to see a Sadala arc, or even a short training on Vampa between Goku and Broly.
In fact the Yardrat part was one of my favorites of the GPP arc.

I really wish they had done something with Planet Sadala (I want to see that road trip so badly) and I hope Vampa hasn't been forgotten.

I wonder if they're avoiding going to new planets because they think it'll make people think too much of GT...but other parts of the franchise do plenty with GT so I don't know.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:47 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:14 pm I've noticed a trend in Super, and surely the most smart users here did too before me.
Err... not trying to defend Super as for me is a average series at most, but Goku Black had a background with a main character and Majin Boo came out of nowhere in Z.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:28 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:47 pm
ChronoTwigger wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:14 pm I've noticed a trend in Super, and surely the most smart users here did too before me.
Err... not trying to defend Super as for me is a average series at most, but Goku Black had a background with a main character and Majin Boo came out of nowhere in Z.
Sorry if my incredibly poor english is unable to convey the shade of meanings everyone here can.
Many past opponents totally hook on past lore to justify their presence. Cell was a consequence, for example. Without Babidy, the grudge on Kaioshins and other lore, MajinBuu can't be justified. He doesn't appear 'randomly'.
Zamasu hook is "one day, Goku meet Zamasu and Zamasu is a freak". The same justification happen out of nowhere.
Moro prison break is not justified by the lore. It just happen.
So my guess this new arc will follow the same rule. Is not something that create a bridge of continuity, but "something that happen just now".
I dunno how to correctly spell the thing. Maybe someone will do.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:19 pm

Super manga:

Zamasu becomes Black after witnessing Goku and the Super Dragon Balls in Universe 6-7 Invitational Tournament footage.

The presence of a second Zeno, and the two of them discussing frustrations with their game, is what ultimately leads to the idea to erase certain universes and the Tournament of Power.

Broly is perhaps a bit more circumstantial, but still discovered and brought to Earth as the result of Freeza's revival at the end of the previous arc.

Moro is the first, and thus far only, story in Super to not directly depend on the events of the previous. Most just haven't referenced the previous so directly and heavily at their starts.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:44 pm

I also brought this up a while ago. I'm surprised it's still such a widespread misconception. I guess it's because of the fanbase's familiarity with the anime, where almost every story is disconnected.

I'd further add that the GPP arc seems to imply the seal on Moro's magic broke when Pure Boo died, so there's another connection, although it's not directly tied to the previous arc.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:54 pm

The Undying wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:44 pm I'd further add that the GPP arc seems to imply the seal on Moro's magic broke when Pure Boo died, so there's another connection, although it's not directly tied to the previous arc.
I'd ... never thought about that. I'm not sure how much the story actually implies that, but I like that it could allow for Moro to not escape in Trunks' new timeline.

Come to think of it, Moro should have escaped much earlier in Trunks' timeline anyway, so maybe he just doesn't for that or some other reason.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:20 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:28 pm
Moro prison break is not justified by the lore. It just happen.
While it is never explicitly stated, it is implied Moro recovered his magic when Kid Buu was killed and the divine energy inherited by absorbing the Daikaioshin, that was keeping his magic at bay, disappeared with him.
Moro escaping so long (although it probably were like 2-4 years or so) after the fact, might be because it took him that long to grow strong enough to break free. So Moro is more linked to Z than Super.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:47 pm

I posted this last time we had this discussion, but here's the relevant page:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:00 am

I hadn't forgotten that he said it took his magic a few years to recover to the point where he could escape, but for some reason I never put two and two together on "a few years ago" being when the evil Boo would have been killed.

There isn't much other reason to include a detail like that, so ... hm, yeah. That probably is the intended implication.

Huh!

I guess I can stop wondering about the Trunks+Trunks timeline then!

...It also feels kind of strange to think about the Boo arc still just being "a few years ago" at this point in Super.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:35 am

To me it always sounds like some folks don't like the manga and keep thinking convoluted ways to justify it never being animated. Toei animated two movies which were already animated.

Oh but nothing important happens! Really? With a straight face you tell me Uub, Ultra Instinct, Angel laws, Vegeta's New Powers and an Arc coming directly right after it aren't important?

Toyo is the future of this franchise and the longer you act like kids who either love something or hate it with no in between, the longer you'll keep coming back to read a product you won't ever be happy with. Maybe you should move on to other stuff, this is Dragon Ball and your headcannon won't be considered. Toriyama is on board with what's happening, this will keep going as it is.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:58 am

The Undying wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:44 pm I also brought this up a while ago. I'm surprised it's still such a widespread misconception. I guess it's because of the fanbase's familiarity with the anime, where almost every story is disconnected.

I'd further add that the GPP arc seems to imply the seal on Moro's magic broke when Pure Boo died, so there's another connection, although it's not directly tied to the previous arc.
Lol it's identical in the anime, I think that some people around here forget that anime and manga ultimately tell the same story. Certain characters might have different design and abilities, but the basic plot points are the same.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:47 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:58 am Lol it's identical in the anime
Not even close.

None of the scenes I mentioned regarding Champa are shown, and Zeno decides to annihilate lower-ranked universes after being reminded of the multiverse tournament rather than through casual conversation with the other Zeno; hence no connection to the Future Trunks arc.

The only bridge that can be said to be "identical" (though not quite) is Zamasu learning of Goku's divine power and the Super Dragon Balls after seeing Godtube. Otherwise, the catalyst for the conflict/threat of every other arc happens within the arc itself, not as an effect of the previous one. If there are any ties at all, none of them are made clear to the viewer.
Formerly Marlowe89.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:01 am

The Undying wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:47 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:58 am Lol it's identical in the anime
Not even close. None of the scenes I mentioned regarding Champa are shown, and Zeno decides to annihilate lower-ranked universes after being reminded of the multiverse tournament rather than through casual conversation with the other Zeno.

The only bridge that can be said to be "identical" (though not quite) is Zamasu learning of Goku's divine power and the Super Dragon Balls after seeing Godtube. Otherwise, the catalyst for the conflict/threat of every other arc happens within the arc itself, not as an effect of the previous one. If there are any ties at all, none of them are made clear to the viewer.
Champa first appears in the Golden Frieza arc, where him and Vados are seen wondering the U7 for some "unknown" purpose, destroying worlds in the process. In this arc, Sorbet's flagship is damaged by Vados' warping while Sorbet decides to revive Frieza after learning that most of the army was wiped out.

Zamasu learns about the Super Dragon Ball from watching the U6 vs. U7 Tournament. The Super Dragon Balls are the crux of his plan. The arc further ties into Z, as Trunks' meddling with time in the Cell arc is one of the main reasons why Zamasu hates mortals.

The presence of two Zenos convinces Zeno to hold an Exhibition Match to show the Future Zeno how tournaments work, and in this Exhibition Match the rivalry between U7 and U11 is first established. As well it's from watching the U6 vs. U7 tournament that Zeno gets the idea of holding a multiversal tournament.

To imply that "it's not even close" and the anime doesn't bother to tie the various arcs together is being disingenuous. I get that it's the manga thread but Toei can get it right too sometimes, especially when Toriyama was working closely with them on the anime.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:18 am

FlpShimizu wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:35 am To me it always sounds like some folks don't like the manga and keep thinking convoluted ways to justify it never being animated. Toei animated two movies which were already animated.

Oh but nothing important happens! Really? With a straight face you tell me Uub, Ultra Instinct, Angel laws, Vegeta's New Powers and an Arc coming directly right after it aren't important?

Toyo is the future of this franchise and the longer you act like kids who either love something or hate it with no in between, the longer you'll keep coming back to read a product you won't ever be happy with. Maybe you should move on to other stuff, this is Dragon Ball and your headcannon won't be considered. Toriyama is on board with what's happening, this will keep going as it is.
Holy words, really.

Holy words.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:52 am

FlpShimizu wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:35 am To me it always sounds like some folks don't like the manga and keep thinking convoluted ways to justify it never being animated. Toei animated two movies which were already animated.

Agreed I have my issues with the Super manga (and the Super anime for that matter) but it’s weird that people keep trying to act like the manga is filler for some reason just because they don’t like it

I wish I could say everything I dislike in the anime and manga was just filler. Maybe I’ll start doing that. If I don’t like what happens I’ll just throw it out.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:57 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:01 am Champa first appears in the Golden Frieza arc, where him and Vados are seen wondering the U7 for some "unknown" purpose, destroying worlds in the process. In this arc, Sorbet's flagship is damaged by Vados' warping while Sorbet decides to revive Frieza after learning that most of the army was wiped out.
I'm aware. The Freeza Force's limited resources are initially reported to Sorbet, and thus framed as a problem, prior to Champa's appearance and subsequent destruction of his army. Sorbet's decision to resurrect Freeza in the anime is also framed as an inevitability (with Champa/Vados being the last straw) rather than something directly spurred on by Champa himself blowing up Freeza's ships.

While you can argue there's a connection there, it's fairly loose and indirect compared to the manga, where Champa purposely destroys Sorbet's remaining forces over an unspecified period of time.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:01 am Zamasu learns about the Super Dragon Ball from watching the U6 vs. U7 Tournament. The Super Dragon Balls are the crux of his plan.
I acknowledged that in your quote. The bridge from the Universe 6 Tournament to the Future Trunks arc is made clear enough in the anime, but it's the exception, not the rule.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:01 am The presence of two Zenos convinces Zeno to hold an Exhibition Match to show the Future Zeno how tournaments work, and in this Exhibition Match the rivalry between U7 and U11 is first established. As well it's from watching the U6 vs. U7 tournament that Zeno gets the idea of holding a multiversal tournament.
None of that is causation between arcs, nor is it the catalyst for the underlying threat being Zeno's decision to erase most universes -- which, again, happens because Goku reminds him of his multiversal tournament idea he forgot about, not because of any umprompted discussion between both Zenos. This is also decided before the exhibition match.

So yeah, not even close. Toei rarely makes any attempt to tie these stories together in the same direct manner as T&T, leaving any inferred lead-ins between individual stories loose at best and completely absent at worst. I'm not claiming you can't like things about the anime, but it is what it is.
Formerly Marlowe89.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:06 pm

Toyotaro’s manga has aged much better than the anime. Apart from a number of memorable episodes, in hindsight the anime’s real strength was that weekly wait for brand new content, some animation highlights and a few iconic moments.

But unfortunately rewatching all of it is actually painful, aside from those stellar episodes here and there like episode 16, 18, 38, 47, 56, 86, 94, 95, 105, 107, 109, 110, 122, 130, 131 and a few more. These are so nice I can still name them without having to check. Though I think there are whole chapters of the manga which are even better. In fact I am growing to like the manga more and more with each re-read (anime Goku Black will always be superior by the way).

Watching the anime is painful cause it’s filled with cringey moments (not to mention the terrible episodes quality wise) which are basically absent in the manga.
And quite frankly the less problematic arc of the anime is the Universal Survival Arc, which I personally find to be the only one worth rewatching in its entirety because of how entertaining it is (and the characterization was quite on point all the time). Yet it has the problem of being too slow. I would compare it to Moro arc: a great story with glaring pacing issues and with quite a lot of fanservice (Moro’s fanservice though is much more bearable, while the anime had a few irritating instances such as Vegeta’s sacrifice move reuse).

I wished they could animate the entirety of Toyotaro’s manga with Shintani’s style (and Broly’s movie colors) though I don’t expect it to ever happen unfortunately.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical