"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:01 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:41 pmI hope Bardock's appearance functions as more than a simple cameo and is instead the trigger for the conflict between Goku and Granola.

The prospect of a four-faction showdown between Granola, the new characters, Goku and Vegeta, and Freeza's force, is enticing. On paper, it looks like an ambitious arc.
I definitely think that's what it will be used for, as Granola will either mistake him for Bardock or try to kill him for Bardock's actions.

The 3 faction set up on Namek was one of its best parts, so hopefully something similar happens here.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:47 pm

Frieza most likely took control of Broly during the events of the Moro arc. Frieza didn't involve himself in the battle against the goat and his worthless thugs, so we don't know what he was doing off-screen during that time. At the end of the Broly movie, he said he was going to take control of Broly and use him as a weapon against the Saiyans, which is probably what he did during the Moro arc while the protagonists were busy dealing with another threat. Cue this new arc, where Frieza will unleash Broly on the protagonists and maybe Granola.

Frieza himself is pretty fodder, as is his entire army, so the only way he can be relevant storywise is if he turns Broly into a living weapon, which as I said was his explicit intention at the end of the Broly arc.

Also I don't know if Frieza still wants to dethrone the Gods, as he mentioned during the Tournament of Power arc. He probably dropped that delusion, he stands no chance against the Gods.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:15 pm

I wonder if Vegeta’s alternate path to Goku will have something to do with the “controlling Oozaru in base form” ability Broly has. It would definitely be fitting, especially for someone like Vegeta who had full control as an Oozaru.

I don’t think they will make SS4 canon though.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:22 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:15 pm I wonder if Vegeta’s alternate path to Goku will have something to do with the “controlling Oozaru in base form” ability Broly has. It would definitely be fitting, especially for someone like Vegeta who had full control as an Oozaru.

It will likely take the form of another SSB type evolution/mastery.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:32 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:45 am New Manga Trailer (are those gonna be a monthly occurence now too?! :shock: )
https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1349997242430615559
Interesting start to the arc so far. I wonder what the explanation will be for why these guys are a threat now. Maybe Granola watched a broadcast of Goku being awarded the GP medal and made the connection to Bardock? The other guys have nice designs and it would be cool if they were from Bojack's race since Toriyama designed them back then. I look forward to seeing the full chapter!

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:43 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:15 pm I wonder if Vegeta’s alternate path to Goku will have something to do with the “controlling Oozaru in base form” ability Broly has. It would definitely be fitting, especially for someone like Vegeta who had full control as an Oozaru.

I doubt it, Vegeta is the only one who has SSB now, and is really fitting to him.
Now with the Baby reboot, I guess the Baby and SS4 reboot rumors based on FighterZ are more likely. I dont like the idea, but if happens I hope they give it only to Broli.

About Badack, maybe he let Granola live? it would be a nice change to the mistaking of Goku leading to conflict. Tho probably not so much for the already misunderstood Minus Badack

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:06 pm

pepd wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:43 pmAbout Badack, maybe he let Granola live? it would be a nice change to the mistaking of Goku leading to conflict. Tho probably not so much for the already misunderstood Minus Badack
I'd like this, but not for altruistic, heroic reasons. Rather, perhaps he left Granola live so that the anger and desire for revenge fueled him and let him become strong enough to take down Freeza in Bardock's place, maybe? Or just a purely selfish desire to fight Granola at some point in the future, much like the reasoning behind his son sparing opponents.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:54 pm

From V-Jump's twitter account (translation by Dbshype):

"A warrior who surpasses Goku is about to be born in the 7th universe...!!"

This more or less confirms a time skip is about to happen.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:58 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:54 pm From V-Jump's twitter account (translation by Dbshype):

Not necessarily - it could mean 'born' in a figurative rather than literal sense (as in, the early events of this arc will create a warrior who surpasses Goku), or it could refer to the creation of an artificial warrior like OG73-I.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:12 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:54 pm From V-Jump's twitter account (translation by Dbshype):

This does NOT confirm that a time skip takes place.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:46 pm

Jinto wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:03 pm
ChronoTwigger wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:24 am The whole thing look so incredibly randomish, filler-ish, not contextual that it look generated by random tables.

-Ok, roll on the encounter table.
-An android. Roll again.
-A cool tech guy. Roll again.
-A movie rip off. What's movie is left?
-Demons.
-Ok, demons. So, the cool guy go search the android to defeat the demons.
-Nice plot, but can we write something that tap on the MAIN CHARACTERS for once instead of introducing random stuff?
-You mean... actually writing? I never did it. I just created ripoffs of another manga. It wasn't required for me to learn writing.
-Kaizen.
-Kaizen the whole day, my friend.
What I'm afraid of the most is that Goku and co are already icon, a fixed image in the mind of the people. Kind of like Superman or Batman. They will always rehash the same problematic :
-Vegeta is prideful and easily angered
-Goku is an airhead and will drop his guard
-Krillin is afraid of fighting
-Beerus is always stronger
-Gohan will always be rusty
-Frieza is a Joker wannabe, an eternal villain they will put in a prison for him to break out again and again.
Goku dropping his guard thing was only really something from RoF and even then it felt out of no where.
Kuririn stopped being cowardly as of the Universe Survival arc.
Beerus was also surpassed in said arc.
Gohan hasn't been rusty since Resurrection F.
Freeza could potentially get killed off this arc if we're lucky.

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:08 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:22 pm

It will likely take the form of another SSB type evolution/mastery.
No!

Why can't he just accept attaining UI, because it is simply superior to his evolutions of the SSB?

His pride, I know already.

But it is time for him to not be so proud and see what really matters now...

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:20 pm

I think the idea is that UI is really hard to attain, and not everyone should be able to attain it especially if the gods who have been around millions of years struggle with it.

Now if someone like Freeza attains it then I'll be pissed. :lol:

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:24 pm

Retan wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:20 pm I think the idea is that UI is really hard to attain, and not everyone should be able to attain it especially if the gods who have been around millions of years struggle with it.

Now if someone like Freeza attains it then I'll be pissed. :lol:
I don't know but maybe he will attain it sooner than Vegeta!

Now, seriously, Vegeta is much more capable of attaining it with the spirit control resulting from his training on Yardrat.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:40 pm

Alruneia wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:17 am Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't the first time we've seen those four "Bojack-esque" characters, is it? At the very least I could swear I've seen the middle guy, the one who seems to be the leader, before. But it's not very easy for me to go looking for it without a name to go with the face...
Same, I get the feeling I've seen the leader somewhere before.. but can't recall now. At least someone similar to him.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:42 pm

Gogeta SSJ Blue wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:08 pmNo!

Why can't he just accept attaining UI, because it is simply superior to his evolutions of the SSB?

In-universe, not only because of his pride, but because Vegeta has already tried to achieve Ultra Instinct before in the series and failed. Whis even agrees that Vegeta is better suited to going his own way rather than trying to brute-force his way into mastering Ultra Instinct.

Out-of-universe, it's far more interesting if Goku and Vegeta have different power sets now that the two have the same degree of prominence as main characters. It was fine back in the original series to share powers because there was only one main character, but now Vegeta is clearly the deuteragonist. Having something that visually and thematically distinguishes him from Goku is good.

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:00 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:42 pm
Gogeta SSJ Blue wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:08 pmNo!

In-universe, not only because of his pride, but because Vegeta has already tried to achieve Ultra Instinct before in the series and failed. Whis even agrees that Vegeta is better suited to going his own way rather than trying to brute-force his way into mastering Ultra Instinct.

Out-of-universe, it's far more interesting if Goku and Vegeta have different power sets now that the two have the same degree of prominence as main characters. It was fine back in the original series to share powers because there was only one main character, but now Vegeta is clearly the deuteragonist. Having something that visually and thematically distinguishes him from Goku is good.
I understand what you are saying but that should only apply mostly before he trained his spirit control.

Let's just wait and see which way will he choose to grow stronger...

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:07 pm

Gogeta SSJ Blue wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:00 pmLet's just wait and see which way will he choose to grow stronger...
Well, what you just said there is the crux of it, isn't it? If Vegeta only ever considers himself bound to follow where Goku leads in his path to power, then it's never really a self-directed choice, is it?

I'd've thought it could only be an instance of much-needed character development on Vegeta's part to decouple himself from basically letting Goku make his life choices for him.

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:12 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:07 pm
Gogeta SSJ Blue wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:00 pmLet's just wait and see which way will he choose to grow stronger...
Well, what you just said there is the crux of it, isn't it? If Vegeta only ever considers himself bound to follow where Goku leads in his path to power, then it's never really a self-directed choice, is it?

I'd've thought it could only be an instance of much-needed character development on Vegeta's part to decouple himself from basically letting Goku make his life choices for him.
Not saying that he have to as some sort of obligation!

But if he really wants to keep himself on par with Goku he will have to consider attaining UI?

What I think will happen is something like this instead: Vegeta will try to evolve on his own way but he will then see somehow the limitations of SSGSS and will start to rethink about obtaining UI.

Maybe not even on this next arc but possibly on the next one.
Last edited by Gogeta SSJ Blue on Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:22 pm

Gogeta SSJ Blue wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:12 pm
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:07 pm

But if he really wants to keep himself on par with Goku then he will have to consider attaining UI some day?
The world is big, and the writers can make up other things at the drop of a hat.

Say, for instance, Whis reveals that there are other Divine Secrets besides Migatte no Gokui ("The Secret of Selfishness"), and the next thing he reveals aligns better with Vegeta's personal style and outlook (e.g., the golden eyes and unfailing, perfect accuracy displayed by the Kinmei in Toriyama's work Kintoki writ large and increased to the nth degree, so the wielder never misses)? Then he's relevant again. Or something else, of this ilk.

Really, it's easy to come up with things that can keep Vegeta relevant in power terms (or else in broader usefulness), but making him fall back into the rut of being 'kinda like Goku, but not as good' doesn't really do him (or us) any favours.