"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:52 am

Yuji wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:35 am
batistabus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 pm Reactions to #71:

I'm not sure what Whis means by saving Silver as a "last resort for when a battle demands you surpass your limits". Is he saying that Silver will always be stronger, but he should only save it for critical moments? Or is he saying in case Goku screws up using MnG in his base form, he can always "turn it on" with Silver? I assume it's the former, but I'd personally like to see all forms become redundant to MnG in base.
I didn't think about that, good theory. I hope too the silver form is just a failsafe in case he loses concentration with MnG in his base form. The way Whis phrases it makes it seem like it could be that, but seeing that this is Dragon Ball, I'm not sure either.
No let’s hope not..

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun May 02, 2021 6:00 pm

This next chapter will make or break this arc as a whole. We know Granola is a Bounty Hunter, and Prefers sniping. His Right eye allows him I’m enhanced tracking and extended vision.

But asside from that Quick action scene with Soshiru we haven’t gotten a really good look at his fighting style.

If the next chapter shows Granola basically just punching and shooting Ki blasts like everyone else I’m gonna be sorely disappointed. I’m hoping for something really interesting. We haven’t gotten a major character in the series who excels at long range combat so it’d be interesting to see.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun May 02, 2021 6:09 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:00 pm This next chapter will make or break this arc as a whole. We know Granola is a Bounty Hunter, and Prefers sniping. His Right eye allows him I’m enhanced tracking and extended vision.

But asside from that Quick action scene with Soshiru we haven’t gotten a really good look at his fighting style.

If the next chapter shows Granola basically just punching and shooting Ki blasts like everyone else I’m gonna be sorely disappointed. I’m hoping for something really interesting. We haven’t gotten a major character in the series who excels at long range combat so it’d be interesting to see.
I'd really like if they took advantage of Granolah's presumably unique fighting style to up the scale of battles. I'd like to see Granolah trying to snipe Goku and Vegeta from space or from the other side of the planet, for example.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Mon May 03, 2021 5:00 am

I think bouncing shoots for sure, expecially against UI.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed May 05, 2021 9:37 pm

I agree that Granolla having an interesting fighting style is important. Unless battles end up being a minor part of the story moving forward, I'd be fatigued if this were just a slugfest. Thanks to Broly, I was a bit burned out from battles when the Moro arc was coming out. Still, the fights stayed interesting because Moro had a totally unique ability (at first), Merus fought tactically, Vegeta's "regular" fighting resulted in Forced Spirit Fission, and MnG was very well conveyed. I have faith in Tori x Toyo, so I'm fairly confident it won't be bland.

Yes, Granolla has the eye, and I hope they do cool things with that. Against Heata, he greatly outclassed them in strength, but he used complex tactics to beat them. Granolla forced Oil to dig his own grave, and he resourcefully tied up Maki. While Merus' maneuvers felt like everything a "weak" character could do to beat/evade someone much stronger, Granolla's approach seems to come from a place of gentleness...and perhaps an affinity for swashbuckling.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu May 06, 2021 4:31 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:00 pm This next chapter will make or break this arc as a whole. We know Granola is a Bounty Hunter, and Prefers sniping. His Right eye allows him I’m enhanced tracking and extended vision.

Harmira: "You did not have to do me like that....."

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Thu May 06, 2021 5:13 am

Sniping vs UI would be fun (Me and ChronoTwigger actually called a sniper vs UI fight somewhat last year, here!), and i havent read everything i've missed, but has anyone spoke about Goku's long range options?

Ki would obviously be pointless, with ki sensing and all. If only there was a physical object he could hold that could stretch? If nobody has called it yet i'm calling Power Pole UI vs Granola at some point.

I mean, its like, 2% chance of happening but i'm calling it for long odds bragging rights.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu May 06, 2021 10:35 am

Not expecting any sniper shenanigans. My prediction is Granolah having both UI and Hakai, which not earned through training will be inferior and his downfall against Goku and Vegeta, he'll be stronger but not really since the thematic is pretty clear this arc.

Hopefully after the lesson is learned he'll join efforts against the Heaters.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sat May 08, 2021 9:07 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:31 am

I just had to look up who that is because I literally forgot. I think that speaks for itself :lol:

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sat May 08, 2021 9:09 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:07 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:31 am

I just had to look up who that is because I literally forgot. I think that speaks for itself :lol:
JewyB wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:13 am Sniping vs UI would be fun (Me and ChronoTwigger actually called a sniper vs UI fight somewhat last year, here!), and i havent read everything i've missed, but has anyone spoke about Goku's long range options?

Ki would obviously be pointless, with ki sensing and all. If only there was a physical object he could hold that could stretch? If nobody has called it yet i'm calling Power Pole UI vs Granola at some point.

I mean, its like, 2% chance of happening but i'm calling it for long odds bragging rights.
Yes!! That would be so cool if he combined Ui with the powerpole.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat May 08, 2021 2:45 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:09 am Yes!! That would be so cool if he combined Ui with the powerpole.
Honestly it would just be so great to see the difference in how kid Goku an UI Goku use it, and to see if Toriyama prioritises technique over jokes.

Because i can see Toriyama writing it going straight up someones butt again, regardless of UI's "rules".

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 09, 2021 1:22 pm

Now I really wonder, how will the manga proceed with the announcement of the new Dragon Ball Super Movie.

- Will the movie connect where Broly left off and make the manga irrelevant? - or being treated as a movie side-story, never to be part of potential TV series.

- Will the movie connect and start another arc going from Granolah arc?

- Will the movie adapt some manga arc?

Or, will the series be revived to adapt the manga arcs and movie will continue from there?

Really wonder, mostly because Akira Toriyama is heavily involved, hence I wonder if they care about some continuity or is he just writing whatever he likes and deems interesting.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun May 09, 2021 5:36 pm

I'm marathoning Super Dragon Ball Heroes and the way Goku gives the final blow to Planet Moro is similar to what he did to Kamioren. Didn't know about that. :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun May 09, 2021 5:46 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:22 pm Now I really wonder, how will the manga proceed with the announcement of the new Dragon Ball Super Movie.

- Will the movie connect where Broly left off and make the manga irrelevant? - or being treated as a movie side-story, never to be part of potential TV series.

Or, will the series be revived to adapt the manga arcs and movie will continue from there?

Really wonder, mostly because Akira Toriyama is heavily involved, hence I wonder if they care about some continuity or is he just writing whatever he likes and deems interesting.
This is one of the considerations that's making me mull over the 'Baby-Vegeta/SSj4 Broly/Goku-Broly Fusion' rumours for the movie as a continuing possibility, particularly if set after the Granolah arc.

With the Granolah arc running with plotlines of Vegeta's qualms over the Saiyan past sins (which could be exploited by an out-and-out villain who embodies that), a sympathetic antagonist who is pursuing vengeance against Freeza and the Saiyans while being led by villains who have their own anti-Freeza agenda (and whose actions have been forecast as causing great turmoil in the Universe), and Freeza being the 'elephant in the room' for this arc when he has a prior linkage to Broly in his own plans to take on Goku and Vegeta (this thread having been left dangling at the end of the last film), it could easily serve as an immediate narrative bridge between the two films, as well as an out-and-out 'promo' for the forthcoming film.

The arc could make a fast-escalating move that, for example, puts Goku and Vegeta in direct confrontation with the Heeters, who are forced to try hiding in Freeza's shadow to do their fighting for them, while either they (or perhaps Granolah) unleash a slightly-tweaked Baby (in the sense of him being a Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans vengeance machine, he'd still be the same, but other aspects of his background and character could be easily adjusted) - I guess the potential for easy integration of all the main Dragon Ball media to tell a single, Toriyama-led storyline with a hefty amount of crowd-pleasing features and potential for further development of the last film is what keeps me thinking about things that otherwise seemed like a slightly random jumble of rumours.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon May 10, 2021 2:23 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:46 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:22 pm Now I really wonder, how will the manga proceed with the announcement of the new Dragon Ball Super Movie.

This is one of the considerations that's making me mull over the 'Baby-Vegeta/SSj4 Broly/Goku-Broly Fusion' rumours for the movie as a continuing possibility, particularly if set after the Granolah arc.
If it’s worth anything, that’s how Masako Nozawa “celebrated” the movie’s announcement: https://mobile.twitter.com/aoni_officia ... 5962184708

Maybe the fact that they filmed her besides the golden great ape statue is an hint?

By the way, your take is quite convincing. They have been planning the movie ever since Broly still had to be released. And they also decided to have Toyotaro skip adaptating Broly to jump straight to Moro and now Granolah. It’s extremely unlikely that the new movie will invalidate those stories, considering how Toriyama helped writing them.

Though with all the Uub foreshadowing in Moro arc, I still have some hopes the movie will take place after the End of Z, which would surely be less confusing than a straight sequel from the current manga arc for the majority of fans. And, by the way, there’s some reason to believe that Granolah arc will last 3 years in-universe, due to his wish.

One last thing. It seems like some wording from Toriyama’s message is lifted straight from GT: https://mobile.twitter.com/Herms98/stat ... 2615801865

Could Pan be the slightly unexpected character? Did they finally convince Toriyama to go after the end of his manga into a straight re-imagining of Dragon Ball GT? Then, did he actually watch GT to get inspiration?

Maybe this is all casual. But it seems a bit too casual.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon May 10, 2021 3:54 am

I really do hope, that they will incorporate Broly again in some way and him not be another one-off: ''Will train and wanna battle you again sometime.'' At least connect somehow.

Even though I kinda cringe over the idea, the new introduced Broly was a sympathetic new addition, even tho lazy one.
I don't want them to skip it the same way, that they hinted on more Universes in Battle Of Gods and then we got Freeza rehash with nothing added to it besides Blue and Golden forms.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Mon May 10, 2021 9:04 am

First draft

https://twitter.com/DbsHype1/status/1391724735801659393

Very interesting. A battle has begun!

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Mon May 10, 2021 9:40 am

Gt91 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:04 am First draft

https://twitter.com/DbsHype1/status/1391724735801659393

Very interesting. A battle has begun!
Goku has his eyes closed, and in base. Seems like he is able to match Vegeta's SSJ without transforming.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon May 10, 2021 10:11 am

MCDaveG wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:54 am I really do hope, that they will incorporate Broly again in some way and him not be another one-off: ''Will train and wanna battle you again sometime.'' At least connect somehow.

Even though I kinda cringe over the idea, the new introduced Broly was a sympathetic new addition, even tho lazy one.
I don't want them to skip it the same way, that they hinted on more Universes in Battle Of Gods and then we got Freeza rehash with nothing added to it besides Blue and Golden forms.
Except the Frieza stuff did come back in USS and even in Broly. That and Resurrection 'F' introduced Goku and Vegeta training under Whis. In fact, in terms of the movies, Resurrection 'F' had more impact than Battle of Gods.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon May 10, 2021 11:07 am

I think I'll be pleasently surprised this month. I was sure this chapter would be a slow one, with the fight's beginning being the cliffhanger.