"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:34 am

I wonder if the break will be longer than a month.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:41 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:34 am I wonder if the break will be longer than a month.
Given that it was unspecified, I wouldn't be surprised.

Which, as I've said before, I fully support Toyotaro taking as long as he needs to plan out the next arc, especially having read this recent one. He talked about Super Hero as if it inspired him, and Super Hero is a pretty good movie, so there's hope.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:40 pm

TKA wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:41 am
Champa The Destroyer wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:28 pm Why would they ever want planet vegeta and the barbaric saiyans to still exist?
That's not what the original poster is arguing for.

Revenge isn't about restoring what was lost. It's about getting retribution for what was lost. The original poster wants a story where Goku and Vegeta get mad about Beerus setting up the genocide of their home planet.

Which, you know, is a dumb story. What's Beerus going to do when they bring that up that's dramatic? His attitude toward destroying whole civilization is "eh, I guess I did that". He's very cavalier about it the whole thing. Then there's Goku and Vegeta's individual personalities and viewpoints, which would amount to "Yeah, they deserved it. Sucks tho. Oh well."
Yeah that's a bit more understandable, I misunderstood a bit. Even still, like you said, they're not going to care. Plus all that they lost from the destruction of their planet, they indirectly gained so much more and I feel like they know that deep down (Goku and Vegeta, that is)

Goku as early as the Frieza arc realized the atrocities committed both by and to the saiyans, but is happy about his life and comes to terms with his heritage. So I think they'd go about it the same way if they learned about Beerus' orders

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:54 pm

On another note, I love everything about Black Frieza and all that happened recently.

I would say though, I sorta wish the time chamber concept wasn't brought back from the Buu Saga until now with Frieza.

It doesn't ruin anything, but I don't like how Goku and Vegeta were in there for 3 whole years and their power difference was minimal, with the explanation of "we're so powerful our growth has plateued" which was contradicted almost immediately.

Imagine if our only reference for the time chamber was the growth the characters got in the Cell arc, then the fight in the Buu arc...only to hear that Frieza was in something similar for 10 years. Would've been even more impactful than it already is imo.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:27 am

Safe to say we'll get news on the next arc this up coming week? I mean, technically we'd be getting spoilers at this point if things were continuing as normal.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:44 am

First time since 2015 that we don't have a DBS chapter and Toyotaro has a break. Man needs to rest but I'm missing my DBS fix. :lol:
goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:27 am Safe to say we'll get news on the next arc this up coming week? I mean, technically we'd be getting spoilers at this point if things were continuing as normal.
The manga may return next month but there's nothing confirmed yet. In these month V-Jump all they did was to recap the arcs so far. Toyotaro did a new drawing:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:14 am

I wonder if his break will be a total break then the same schedule or do you think he'll use the break to get a headstart on the story so he's like a chapter ahead?

I hope it's back soon or if not, at least confirmation of when it is.

I wonder if this break will be tied to the two new projects? It'll eventually get to the point the anime is playing catch up for too long.

Yeah the movies gone and the manga is on break, we are between heroes releases and xenoverse dlcs I'm jonesing for a fix too.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:23 am

Champa The Destroyer wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:54 pm
I would say though, I sorta wish the time chamber concept wasn't brought back from the Buu Saga until now with Frieza.

It doesn't ruin anything, but I don't like how Goku and Vegeta were in there for 3 whole years and their power difference was minimal, with the explanation of "we're so powerful our growth has plateued" which was contradicted almost immediately.

Imagine if our only reference for the time chamber was the growth the characters got in the Cell arc, then the fight in the Buu arc...only to hear that Frieza was in something similar for 10 years. Would've been even more impactful than it already is imo.
Totally, I still fail to see what was the point of them spending 3 fucking years in the ROSAT.
They broke the rules of the room, IIRC Dende improved it so the 1 day limit would not be a problem, and all we got was this lousy t-shirt Goku switching from God to SSB.
This isn't biblical, it's a made up story, so there was no need for them to spend 3 years in it.
The anime even went full retard and had them with beards, implying they shave every now and then on Earth... :eh:
On the positive side, at least the anime spent those 3 years with Goku learning/mastering a technique that was used consistently all throughout DBS, while manga Goku dropped the switch because soon enough he found something better (in lesser time).
Maybe I would be on board with it, based on it being like a big chunk of their path towards MSSB, if their gains there weren't the least impressive ever.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:02 pm

TobyS wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:14 am I wonder if his break will be a total break then the same schedule or do you think he'll use the break to get a headstart on the story so he's like a chapter ahead?

I hope it's back soon or if not, at least confirmation of when it is.

I wonder if this break will be tied to the two new projects? It'll eventually get to the point the anime is playing catch up for too long.

Yeah the movies gone and the manga is on break, we are between heroes releases and xenoverse dlcs I'm jonesing for a fix too.
The arcs story are planned in advance, but I don't know if he will actually be a chapter ahead. He's definitely not on vacations. Probably something happened behind the scenes and Toyotaro had to end Granolah arc sooner than he expected. It's the first time there's a break to plan the next arc.

The manga had fast pacing when the anime was airing and got slower after the anime ended. It will most likely speed up again, when the anime comes back. Especially if the plan is to keep having the manga ahead, so Toei uses it as reference and there aren't two different versions of the same story.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:41 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:23 am Totally, I still fail to see what was the point of them spending 3 fucking years in the ROSAT.
They broke the rules of the room, IIRC Dende improved it so the 1 day limit would not be a problem, and all we got was this lousy t-shirt Goku switching from God to SSB.
This isn't biblical, it's a made up story, so there was no need for them to spend 3 years in it.
The anime even went full retard and had them with beards, implying they shave every now and then on Earth... :eh:
On the positive side, at least the anime spent those 3 years with Goku learning/mastering a technique that was used consistently all throughout DBS, while manga Goku dropped the switch because soon enough he found something better (in lesser time).
Maybe I would be on board with it, based on it being like a big chunk of their path towards MSSB, if their gains there weren't the least impressive ever.
Spending three whole years in an isolated chamber with one other person for company is psychological horror material.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:58 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:23 am
Champa The Destroyer wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:54 pm

Totally, I still fail to see what was the point of them spending 3 fucking years in the ROSAT.
Exactly! The story could've been the exact same if they just trained with whis, or on earth, or with king kai, or literally anywhere else.

The time chamber was used in Z purely for the characters to have a huge burst in power, and then was used with an absolutely minimum increase, hell even less than when they have normal training arcs on earth... :eh:

I agree that the new techniques Goku got in the anime and Manga respectively were cool, but I also think it could've been done anywhere else besides the time chamber imo. Hell it could've been reserved for the tournament of power at least; imagine if they had Gohan and Piccolo train in there, it would make their power boost before the tournament at least somewhat make sense XD

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:58 pm

I wonder if frieza since he is still rebuilding his empire will he be looking for replaces for his military force since zarbon,dodoria,and the ginyu force are dead he would need to find worthy replacements for them and he has a lot of time now

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:16 pm

I'm wondering if this hiatus is related to a manga arc that leads to another, final movie that will conclude whatever they are cooking (Freeza being alive, UI Goku, Beerus' true power, Broly, etc...).
I reckon Toriyama would want to deal with Freeza's demise, Beerus' first real fight, or whatever all of these "loose ends" lead up to, himself. I doubt the last words will be given to Toyo, while Toriyama is still willing to take part, and when movies reach larger audiences and produce much more money.

Fun fact: on a Broly rewatch I noticed that several nitpicks at Granola's wish were discussed in the movie. Goku mentions Freeza wouldnt' be able to wish to be the strongest because that'd be beyond Shenron's power, and one could assume it applies to Porunga as well given that both work under similar rules.
Too bad Toronbo's ability to just do what Shenron cannot was never even mentioned. But there's the answer to why nobody before Granny wished for it, and from the horse's mouth.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:05 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:02 pm Probably something happened behind the scenes and Toyotaro had to end Granolah arc sooner than he expected. It's the first time there's a break to plan the next arc.
There was definitely a crisis going on behind the scenes. Toyotaro could not even publish his monthly drawing in July because of this stress. I bet he asked for a hiatus before he'll quit his job.

I even made a meme to portray what I believe that happen behind the scenes. :wink:
I just hope that the next arc won't suck like the last two (moro and Granolah); I suspect that utter defeat Uchida is the one to blame. He seems to me like a bad story editor.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:05 pm

I imagine Toyo-tarou is simply resting. Of course, JUMP has a history of ruining their authors' health but until we learn otherwise it's probably just a case of good luck for Toyo-tarou.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:36 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the next arc takes place after the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai. If Toyotaro and Toriyama want to refresh the charadesign of all the characters, it can take some times. The only problem with this theory is that the Granola arc seems to take place 3 or 4 years before the EOZ. If we jump directly after the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, it would mean that they did not meet Freezer during that time and Toyotaro will have to explain the reason why.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:50 pm

Toyotaro recently commented that he's published as many volumes of DBS as Toriyama did for Dr. Slump. Based on Wikipedia, Slump ended in in September 1984 and DB started in December of the same year. Even regardless of what Toriyama has done, Toyo has earned a break.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:15 am

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:36 pm I wouldn't be surprised if the next arc takes place after the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai. If Toyotaro and Toriyama want to refresh the charadesign of all the characters, it can take some times. The only problem with this theory is that the Granola arc seems to take place 3 or 4 years before the EOZ. If we jump directly after the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, it would mean that they did not meet Freezer during that time and Toyotaro will have to explain the reason why.
They didn't need to see it after the Granolah arc, they just all focused on their own affairs for the past few years. And recent events show that Frieza is in no hurry to take revenge or fight back.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:06 pm

If the manga suddenly skips ahead and ignores the Granolah ending with Freeza that would be really jarring, I doubt they'll do that. My guess is the manga will continue within the same time period, and the films will be set in the future after Super Hero or End of Z, and maybe the manga will eventually catch up.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:48 pm

The Black Frieza form is probably a bigger boost than either of the Ultra forms, right?

Obviously Frieza himself is stronger than both since he beat both of them in one blow. But I mean the power boost that each form gives compared to their base state.

His golden form is a higher boost than Super Saiyan Blue even when unmastered, as in RoF, Frieza's final form was weaker than Goku's base. Yet when they both transformed, his golden form was a little bit above SSB. At least before he started losing power.

It's hard to tell because we don't know what Frieza's base form power (final form) is after the training. So I'm not sure if his new form gives a smaller boost, bigger boost, or about the same.

I'm thinking about it because this could potentially be the strongest transformation (in terms of adding power above their base form) we've seen yet. Or it could be a decently strong form that's only powerful because Frieza's new base is insanely strong.

Sorry if this was confusing, I'd love to see what other's think though