"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aizamasu

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Aizamasu » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:56 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:26 pm Something that would be nice to see is a return to Toyotaro's former condensed style of storytelling and panelling, as I get the feeling that Toyotaro will want to get this storyline over and done with fairly quickly. I miss when the Super manga was a brisk, easy read that you could pick up at any point and flick through for a fun time, much like Toriyama's original comic.

Rereading his later arcs is almost exactly as painful as when they first came out because the story still just takes foreverrrr to get anywhere, there's so much padding and wasted panel space. One trope in Toyotaro's panelling that I absolutely can't stand anymore is the constant use of dramatic slow zooms across several panels. Usually depicting a character just standing there... MENACINGLY! As the Super Hero Arc will be lighter, hopefully we'll see less of these. Toriyama used zooming panel layouts sparingly in order to keep the action flowingly nicely, and so they had more impact when he did use them. Cell slowly turning round to see who shot him from behind is both hype as fuck and it cleverly reveals new information to the reader in a dramatic, suspenseful way. Breaking news, Toriyama is one of the G.O.A.T.s, back to you in the studio. What new info is gleaned from several panels of Granolah glaring at the Heeters? Anyway, rant over.
I completely agree. I still like the manga but I really miss the faster pacing of the earlier arcs.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:02 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:32 pm I wonder if we'll get to see them go to Orange Star high
That would be pretty fun. It'd be quite interesting to see Goten and Trunks having a bit of an easier go at interacting with their classmates than Gohan did.

What's more, I feel like they'd (moreso Trunks) be more prone to using their powers to get ahead.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:18 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:26 pm Something that would be nice to see is a return to Toyotaro's former condensed style of storytelling and panelling, as I get the feeling that Toyotaro will want to get this storyline over and done with fairly quickly. I miss when the Super manga was a brisk, easy read that you could pick up at any point and flick through for a fun time, much like Toriyama's original comic.
I would this break to lead to more growth in Toyotaro's panelling. Fast or slow pacing is not a excuse to not doing better.
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:26 pm Rereading his later arcs is almost exactly as painful as when they first came out because the story still just takes foreverrrr to get anywhere, there's so much padding and wasted panel space. One trope in Toyotaro's panelling that I absolutely can't stand anymore is the constant use of dramatic slow zooms across several panels. Usually depicting a character just standing there... MENACINGLY!
Toyotaro mastered the art of useless panels. Another trait that he has is that he feels to need to use panels just to show characters reaction to everything. He usually doesn't cut corners, which is something Toriyama already suggested him to do years ago.
Interviewer: From your perspective Toriyama-sensei, how do you feel Toyotaro-sensei has evolved now that we've reached Volume 4?

Toriyama: Let's see...if I have to say something else, then I guess it's that you're too careful! Particularly with battle scenes, it might actually be good to cut corners a bit.

Toyotaro: Battle scenes are really difficult, and I'm always fretting over them...

Toriyama: I had trouble drawing fights too. But sometimes drawing them with a rough touch can produce good results, oddly enough. That's why it's important to cut corners (laughs). Then it'll be perfect!

Toyotaro: I'll keep that in mind!
source
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Nistarkail
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nistarkail » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:30 am

Hi, does anybody know:

- When first leak of chapter 88 shall come out?
- If there is any english translation for Interval 2 Special?

Thanks in advance!

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:43 pm

The only thing that I found funny is Trunks' interaction with Mai, even though others don't like it, but it shows the new personality of both...
Everything related to the superhero who cleans seems quite cringe to me... I don't know, was all that necessary?
Trouser wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:04 am Why are people so obsessed with OG-73? He's uninteresting and lame. He's a "typical Toei Movie villain".
It's a bad copy of hit really

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:31 pm

As a side note, delaying Chapter 88's publication to December 2022 means that Super's Chapter 100 gets publication in December 2023, which makes for a built-in thing to promote for Jump Festa next year.

Obviously I don't know whether that has implications for how long we can expect this prequel arc to last, but I'd guess it makes for a pretty safe bet that the editorial and writing team have cast their minds forward to a general idea of what they'd like to be doing with the title around that time.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:57 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:31 pm As a side note, delaying Chapter 88's publication to December 2022 means that Super's Chapter 100 gets publication in December 2023, which makes for a built-in thing to promote for Jump Festa next year.

Obviously I don't know whether that has implications for how long we can expect this prequel arc to last, but I'd guess it makes for a pretty safe bet that the editorial and writing team have cast their minds forward to a general idea of what they'd like to be doing with the title around that time.
Oh damn, nice thought. That is totally an idea that they would want to go with.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:26 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:59 pm I wish Toyotaro had the balls to have the next arc be all about of Freeza trying to overthrow Beerus and having the latter finally using his full power, that would be an excellent premise!
But yet he didn't and is actually no surprise for him to come with a "filler" arc that actually could be seen as sort of promotion for DBSSH (it is actually what this manga is all about).

Also Goten being more into high-tech than Trunks despite one being raised in the woods while the other raised in a family that is wealthy by their technological company? Jokes on you, Toyotaro :lol:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:20 am

Tai Lung wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:43 pm The only thing that I found funny is Trunks' interaction with Mai, even though others don't like it, but it shows the new personality of both...
Everything related to the superhero who cleans seems quite cringe to me... I don't know, was all that necessary?
Trouser wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:04 am Why are people so obsessed with OG-73? He's uninteresting and lame. He's a "typical Toei Movie villain".
It's a bad copy of hit really
Isn’t Mai older than even Bulma? Mai was an adult back in the original series. That whole interaction with Trunks is weird. The Pilaf gang have been kids since Battle of Gods and that was years ago now, they should have used the dragonballs to go back to their adult selves by now.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:07 pm

There's a new Toyotaro interview with his editor up: https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_1594.html

Some tidbits:
- Even though Freeza appearance in the end of Granolah arc may feel out of blue, it was planned from the beginning he would appear.
- The black color was chosen for his form, because they used credits cards as inspiration and black is highest ranked credit card color.
- For this new arc, Toriyama suggested some things like Trunks to be a Super Hero and the enemies to have a fun-looking designs since it's a lighter arc.
- Mai will already go to the same school than Goten/Trunks next chapter. There will be more romantic comedy scenes between her and Trunks.
- Apparently they won't retell the entire movie like Toyotaro did with BOG arc and the arc end will lead to the movie beginning (Hedo in prison).
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:19 pm

Well, since it was outright stated, I don't like that Trunks is the one getting more attention. I would like both of them getting the same amount of importance, and if we really need to have one getting more attention than the other, it should be Goten. For just how long will Goten continue to live in Trunks' shadow? Does Dimps need to step in again and do something for him?

I also got the feeling Toyotaro won't retell the movie, which is great news. Skip that and on to new stuff!
FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:07 pm- The black color was chosen for his form, because they used credits cards as inspiration and black is highest ranked credit card color.
Unintentionally confirming Super Saiyan 4 as the strongest transformation! just joking... obviously.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:48 pm

I think we also got some names from the designs for Goten and Trunks' schoolmates that we didn't have before: in addition to the already-named Ruler and Compass, we also have Scale (the guy who fanboys over Saiyaman X1), Chalk (the guy Goten's talking to in that one panel), and Filer (the girl in the background in the same panel) now - I guess if the latter two are named designs, they may become more prominent secondary characters interacting with Goten a bit.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:59 pm

I also feel it would've been a good time for Goten to take the lead, seeing how Trunks has his future self and in GT he is also one step ahead of Goten in terms of spotlight. But Trunks already has a love interest - even if it's really weird, so that's a T 1-0 G. Not that Goten couldn't get a gal of his own.
Goten could've been the one wanting to be like his big brother, but I guess the show has been focusing too much on the Son family, too bad is Goten the one getting the shaft. Too soon to tell, though, he might get treated really well, even as a side kick, only time will tell.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:20 pm

I hope that Trunks and Goten's classmates get a lot to do. I think it's a refreshing change of pace and definitely rebels against Dragon Ball to have this whole new set of characters unrelated to fighting.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

bubibartra
Beyond Newbie

Post by bubibartra » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:47 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:19 pm Well, since it was outright stated, I don't like that Trunks is the one getting more attention. I would like both of them getting the same amount of importance, and if we really need to have one getting more attention than the other, it should be Goten. For just how long will Goten continue to live in Trunks' shadow? Does Dimps need to step in again and do something for him?

I also got the feeling Toyotaro won't retell the movie, which is great news. Skip that and on to new stuff!
FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:07 pm- The black color was chosen for his form, because they used credits cards as inspiration and black is highest ranked credit card color.
Unintentionally confirming Super Saiyan 4 as the strongest transformation! just joking... obviously.
Toriyama doesn't give a damn about DB GT and he will always put Trunks ahead of Goten.

I also think that he is taking care of Mai. It is the type of character that Toriyama likes and feels comfortable writing even a romance. I would start looking for a place for the wedding.

the pilaf gang will no longer change their age status. No one is stupid enough to be a child again, spend childhood again and when they reach 17 ask to be old. and less a girl who is young and beautiful again...
Favorite Character: Vegeta
Seconds favorites caracteres:Goku , Piccolo
Previously I like: Kid Gohan
I do not like: Adult Gohan
I hope more: Trunks and Goten
I claim for: A girlfriend and a happy life for Yamcha. Women SSJ
Hate: Send all women to take care of children, including A18.
Need more of: Ten Sin Han

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:04 pm

Is it me or the credit card thing is super random? or i'm missing something? :eh:

I don't mind Trunks being the main character but I hope they don't shaft Goten.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:08 pm

Great, it's good to know that this new manga arc will not be yet ANOTHER film retelling. Absolutely looking forward to it, now!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:23 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:04 pm Is it me or the credit card thing is super random? or i'm missing something? :eh:

I don't mind Trunks being the main character but I hope they don't shaft Goten.
It's a joke. A black card is higher than a gold card.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:48 pm

Interesting interview. That character sheet has so much personality even though they're just standing there. Goten's portrait especially; it exudes purity and makes me smile back.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:01 pm

Chapter was enjoyable, smaller-scale arc seems good, Toyo interview had a few revealing notes, & back to hibernating till drafts this month crop up