"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:28 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:20 pm
DragonBallLove wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:49 am The flying nimbus will be the last one, with Uub riding it.
Shame, I don't like how DBS is tied to Uub being the ending point. It should just go through him and forward. It's been too many years and the predictability is just boring. Bet the new manga arc will still be set before EoZ and maybe even before Super Hero <_<
Nah, I doubt that if the arc starts after the movie, it'll be set before it.

At most, it'll bridge the movie and EoZ, and I seriously doubt the movie won't be doing just that.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:34 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:28 pm
DragonBallLove wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:49 am The flying nimbus will be the last one, with Uub riding it.
Shame, I don't like how DBS is tied to Uub being the ending point. It should just go through him and forward. It's been too many years and the predictability is just boring. Bet the new manga arc will still be set before EoZ and maybe even before Super Hero <_<
Nah, I doubt that if the arc starts after the movie, it'll be set before it.

At most, it'll bridge the movie and EoZ, and I seriously doubt the movie won't be doing just that.
The fandom has been saying this since how many years, and yet the DB Room constantly manages to find "that" free space just to make sure any new arc is still before EoZ.

We'll see but at this point the manga and the new movie seem to do their own things, separate from one another.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:41 am

It's my genuine belief that Toyotarou is under some kind of "mandate" and isn't allowed to directly Freeza or Broly in the DBS manga.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:51 am

The Monkey King wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:41 am It's my genuine belief that Toyotarou is under some kind of "mandate" and isn't allowed to directly Freeza or Broly in the DBS manga.
I'm suspicious of that too, and if Freeza makes no appearance in this arc then I'll definitely agree

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:27 am

Toyotarou used Freeza prominently for the whole of the Tournament of Power arc, in ways that are crucial to the manga version of the arc (and don't really follow the anime a lot of the time), so I doubt he's under any 'mandate' when it comes to simply using Freeza or even doing significant things with him (he also put him in a Bonus Chapter during the Moro arc - it's just a couple of pages, but it's 'usage' all the same). As for Broly, Toyotarou certainly thinks he'll get a shot at him; only time will tell, I guess.

If y'all mean he probably can't unilaterally do status quo-altering things to them, that may be true enough, but then again, that's true of just about every major facet of the Dragon World - he needs the sign-off from Uchida and Toriyama for just about everything, after having worked through it with them. But appearance more generally is probably just dictated by the needs of the stories being worked out.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:40 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:27 am Toyotarou used Freeza prominently for the whole of the Tournament of Power arc, in ways that are crucial to the manga version of the arc (and don't really follow the anime a lot of the time), so I doubt he's under any 'mandate' when it comes to simply using Freeza or even doing significant things with him (he also put him in a Bonus Chapter during the Moro arc - it's just a couple of pages, but it's 'usage' all the same). As for Broly, Toyotarou certainly thinks he'll get a shot at him; only time will tell, I guess.

If y'all mean he probably can't unilaterally do status quo-altering things to them, that may be true enough, but then again, that's true of just about every major facet of the Dragon World - he needs the sign-off from Uchida and Toriyama for just about everything, after having worked through it with them. But appearance more generally is probably just dictated by the needs of the stories being worked out.
I think they mean that Freeza possibly can't be used for these Toyotaro-lead manga arcs. Of course Freeza could be used for the ToP - he was part of Toriyama's outline - but Toriyama/the DBRoom's "master plan" might require him to be saved for a future situation. I'm unsure if Freeza can't be used (I've thought about it before), but I'm fairly confident Toyotaro isn't at liberty to write a story that includes Broly at this point, at the very least.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:03 pm

batistabus wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:40 pmI think they mean that Freeza possibly can't be used for these Toyotaro-lead manga arcs. Of course Freeza could be used for the ToP - he was part of Toriyama's outline - but Toriyama/the DBRoom's "master plan" might require him to be saved for a future situation.
Yeah, I figured they meant more like this, which is why I brought up the unique narrative moves Toyotarou used with Freeza in the arc. If he can do that, then clearly he's 'allowed' to do relatively significant narrative stuff with Freeza that isn't shown elsewhere in the franchise; if he's 'allowed' to do that, I figure it's not much of a stretch to say he can use him more generally if the story really requires it, so long as he doesn't do anything totally drastic that would impact his usability within the franchise as a whole (e.g. killing him off again). It's all just hunches on either side of the question at this point, though.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:59 pm

Huh? Why this thread isn't active as it used before? No people discussing the leaks, no ranting for stuff without proper translation... Is the new movie thread already getting all the focus and attention? Well, I should expect that, in the end the animation will always spark more interest.
Jinto wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:16 am Irrelevant question to the current discussion: would the DBS manga receive as much criticism if it was drawn by Murata (OPM) but kept the same plot?
Sure, the same way as Multiverse fanmanga is, not that it has the same level as Murata artstyle but the plot is bland just as Toyotaro comic.
HeroR wrote:People would still criticized the story, but would praise the art. So people who just want to enjoy a fight manga and don't care about the story would be happy, which is 70% of Dragon Ball fanbase.
Speak it for yourself.
Skar wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:36 pm Random thought but could Vegeta going his own path be inspired by some post-DB shonen where the protagonist and his rival have their own training styles like...
Yea, this all looks good in theory mate, but I don't know it feels late for that... I mean if that was after the whole "Number One Speech" it would be an excellent premise for Super, but too bad they sh*t on that in the second episode of the series.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:08 pm

Because the forums started making individual threads for each chapter rather than this general thread.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:18 am

It's probably going to be Uub riding nimbus, but that doesn't mean it will be the end of Super. I believe they are slowly setting the stage for a new generation of heroes to take the spotlight, while Goku and Vegeta take on mentor roles after becoming an Angel and God of Destruction respectively.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:27 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:18 am I believe they are slowly setting the stage for a new generation of heroes to take the spotlight, while Goku and Vegeta take on mentor roles after becoming an Angel and God of Destruction respectively.
Goku will never become an Angel, it limits him too much and so far it seems only actual children of Grand Priest can have that role.

As for the mentor thing, they're already doing it with Granolah, and many people aren't satisfied with Goku and Vegeta just standing there watching him fight. I can't imagine it being like this for an entire series. How do you even come up with villains for the next generations? Either they're weak and it's boring, or they're overly strong and old gen would have to interfere all the time like in Boruto.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:28 am

Xeogran wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:27 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:18 am I believe they are slowly setting the stage for a new generation of heroes to take the spotlight, while Goku and Vegeta take on mentor roles after becoming an Angel and God of Destruction respectively.
Goku will never become an Angel, it limits him too much and so far it seems only actual children of Grand Priest can have that role.

As for the mentor thing, they're already doing it with Granolah, and many people aren't satisfied with Goku and Vegeta just standing there watching him fight. I can't imagine it being like this for an entire series. How do you even come up with villains for the next generations? Either they're weak and it's boring, or they're overly strong and old gen would have to interfere all the time like in Boruto.
Moro got angel powers, so I'm sure it's possible for Goku to get them as well after fully mastering Ultra Instinct. It would be a good excuse to sideline Goku and make new villians feel like a real threat, while still being able to keep him around in a role similar to Beerus and Whis.

And if you're thinking Goku wouldn't want to limit himself with angel powers, remember that becoming an Angel is the only way he would ever be allowed to have a real fight with Whis or the Grand Priest, and we all know he'd do anything to make that happen.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:05 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:28 am

Moro got angel powers, so I'm sure it's possible for Goku to get them as well after fully mastering Ultra Instinct. It would be a good excuse to sideline Goku and make new villians feel like a real threat, while still being able to keep him around in a role similar to Beerus and Whis.

And if you're thinking Goku wouldn't want to limit himself with angel powers, remember that becoming an Angel is the only way he would ever be allowed to have a real fight with Whis or the Grand Priest, and we all know he'd do anything to make that happen.
Speaking of Moro, he also got white/silver fur just like Goku when he took in Merus' power, and it was pretty much manifested as just Ultra Instinct.

Is it weird that later the "silver hair" thing was turned into a saiyan transformation, since Moro also got it when he obtained Ultra Instinct?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:41 am

Thani wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:05 am

Speaking of Moro, he also got white/silver fur just like Goku when he took in Merus' power, and it was pretty much manifested as just Ultra Instinct.

Is it weird that later the "silver hair" thing was turned into a saiyan transformation, since Moro also got it when he obtained Ultra Instinct?
Did they specifically say it was a Saiyan transformation? Merus' hair color also changed when he started using his angel powers.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:26 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:28 amMoro got angel powers, so I'm sure it's possible for Goku to get them as well after fully mastering Ultra Instinct. It would be a good excuse to sideline Goku and make new villians feel like a real threat, while still being able to keep him around in a role similar to Beerus and Whis.
I think Moro only obtained some form of UI from Meerus but didn't become a full-fledged Angel. GoD is probably the only position a mortal could reach since we know there are mortals training to become candidates and Goku was offered the position. Angels seem to be their own race and children of the Grand Priest that are born into that role.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:53 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:41 am
Thani wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:05 am

Did they specifically say it was a Saiyan transformation? Merus' hair color also changed when he started using his angel powers.
Not specifically, but Whis explained to Goku that the main difference between him and the angels was that he was essentially equating Ultra Instinct with a transformation. Thus began the whole training to use Ultra Instinct in his lesser forms. Which, to me, seemed like it was basically a saiyan transformation, yeah.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:08 am

Is there a chance there'll be a breaking of this on-going discussions into a separate chapter by chapter topics as you do now? I bet it'll be easier to find stuff that way from Super's chapter 1 and onwards in retrospect. It will most likely will take 1 month of only doing that.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:43 am

Noah wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:59 pm Huh? Why this thread isn't active as it used before? No people discussing the leaks, no ranting for stuff without proper translation... Is the new movie thread already getting all the focus and attention? Well, I should expect that, in the end the animation will always spark more interest.
Jinto wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:16 am Irrelevant question to the current discussion: would the DBS manga receive as much criticism if it was drawn by Murata (OPM) but kept the same plot?
Sure, the same way as Multiverse fanmanga is, not that it has the same level as Murata artstyle but the plot is bland just as Toyotaro comic.
HeroR wrote:People would still criticized the story, but would praise the art. So people who just want to enjoy a fight manga and don't care about the story would be happy, which is 70% of Dragon Ball fanbase.
Speak it for yourself.
Skar wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:36 pm Random thought but could Vegeta going his own path be inspired by some post-DB shonen where the protagonist and his rival have their own training styles like...
Yea, this all looks good in theory mate, but I don't know it feels late for that... I mean if that was after the whole "Number One Speech" it would be an excellent premise for Super, but too bad they sh*t on that in the second episode of the series.
Why would people discuss leaks at the end of the month..?

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:10 am

Hello out there are you fellas liking the joy of waiting for a chapter that comes out once a month?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:43 am

KentMan wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:10 am Hello out there are you fellas liking the joy of waiting for a chapter that comes out once a month?
I got used to that ever since the DBS anime ended. Would prefer bi-weekly myself because the fight-only chapters wouldn't drag too much, but oh well. Schedule is schedule.