"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Liquir » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:18 am

Interview with V-Jump editor (and mascot for public appearances) “Victory” Uchida, on editing Dragon Ball Super:
Source: https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/13 ... 3715084289

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:30 am

"Uchida = Yamcha", I don't know why but I LOL'd hard when I read that. Poor guy :lol:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:33 am

Best thing in that interview is that Uchida basically confirmed a new arc will start soon, which means the manga won't end after this arc. We should know more about it at Jump Festa.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:45 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:33 am Best thing in that interview is that Uchida basically confirmed a new arc will start soon, which means the manga won't end after this arc. We should know more about it at Jump Festa.
I never understood why some believed the manga would end here, so at least we won't have to hear about that anymore.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:46 am

Liquir wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:18 am Interview with V-Jump editor (and mascot for public appearances) “Victory” Uchida, on editing Dragon Ball Super:
Source: https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/13 ... 3715084289
I'd say this pretty much kills the "Toriyama is barely involved with the Moro arc" narrative. It also "de-confirms" that the manga is ending, since they're talking about planning the next arc, though nothing really suggested that in the first place, so I'm not sure where fans got that idea from. Also, since they are planning the next arc still, I interpret that as there still being a few more chapters left in the Moro arc (I don't think this upcoming chapter is the last one, maybe not even the second to last one). The planning will probably be finished by Jump Festa so that they can tease the next arc there, but that doesn't mean the Moro arc will necessarily be finished by then. We'll see.
I'm also curious as to what they mean when they say that it was cunning to stop the draft release at that particular page. Maybe the whole bean situation will be justified pretty shortly afterwards? Again, we'll see.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:53 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:45 am
FortuneSSJ wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:33 am Best thing in that interview is that Uchida basically confirmed a new arc will start soon, which means the manga won't end after this arc. We should know more about it at Jump Festa.
I never understood why some believed the manga would end here, so at least we won't have to hear about that anymore.

I admit that was me. I am also a pessimist it’s why I also believe Vegeta won’t get to do anything else this arc

But it’s nice to get confirmation the manga will continue after this

And now we have not just Toriyama but an editor who works closely with Toyo and Toriyama on the manga. But people will continue to blame everything they dislike on Toyo. That’s not to say he doesn’t hold some of the blame for a bad writing decision just it’s the job of editors to steer a writer in a better direction. And with something like Dragonball which isn’t Toyo’s to begin with you would think they would especially veto what they consider bad ideas.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:57 am

Kinokima wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:53 amAnd now we have not just Toriyama but an editor who works closely with Toyo and Toriyama on the manga. But people will continue to blame everything they dislike on Toyo.
DB has been a team effort since BOG, the idea that one man is to blame never made sense. Everyone involved in DB's writing needs to go in order for it to improve.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:30 am

I think this is the longest "climax" I've ever seen.

If we were at a completely different circumstance, I'd be pretty excited that a new story is coming. But the reality is I dread what may come next. Another tournament? Another retelling? A mediocre story still set in this time period? Damn... :(
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:35 am

Alruneia wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:46 am I'm also curious as to what they mean when they say that it was cunning to stop the draft release at that particular page. Maybe the whole bean situation will be justified pretty shortly afterwards? Again, we'll see.
That it was all Krillin's imagination and next page has him refuse giving Senzu to prevent that :lol:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:39 am

Xeogran wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:35 amIt was all Krillin's imagination and next page has him refuse giving Senzu to prevent that :lol:
That will go down as the biggest troll in entertainment history.
Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:30 amA mediocre story still set in this time period? Damn... :(
It'll definitely be set in the same period. I guess we might get a reboot of Cooler, unless they're saving it for the next movie.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:46 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:57 am
Kinokima wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:53 amAnd now we have not just Toriyama but an editor who works closely with Toyo and Toriyama on the manga. But people will continue to blame everything they dislike on Toyo.
DB has been a team effort since BOG, the idea that one man is to blame never made sense. Everyone involved in DB's writing needs to go in order for it to improve.

Yep, I am not saying Toyo is above criticism but the hatred and vitriol he gets from some segments of the Dragon Ball fandom is borderline ridiculous like he is to blame for everything they dislike even though many of the things people complain about are present in both versions of Super

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:21 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:30 am I think this is the longest "climax" I've ever seen.
If we were at a completely different circumstance, I'd be pretty excited that a new story is coming. But the reality is I dread what may come next. Another tournament? Another retelling? A mediocre story still set in this time period? Damn... :(
"Another tournament?" If it comes from Toriyama it's highly likely.
"Another retellting?" It will debut first in the manga so doubtful, be ready for some "homages" to the original manga though.
"Set in this time period?" Oh definitely. We will never most post-EOZ in modern DB.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:55 am

10ish pages of people complaining about things they have no context for is a good reminder that from year to year, this place never changes.

We've done this song and dance consistently, month after month, for years at this point. Yet it never sinks in to just wait for the chapter to be out. You don't have to say anything; the thread can stay dead for a couple days. When you discuss out of context spoilers for so long, the only thing you're doing is spreading misinformation to people who aren't as enfranchised as you might be.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:57 am

Xeogran wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:35 am
Alruneia wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:46 am I'm also curious as to what they mean when they say that it was cunning to stop the draft release at that particular page. Maybe the whole bean situation will be justified pretty shortly afterwards? Again, we'll see.
That it was all Krillin's imagination and next page has him refuse giving Senzu to prevent that :lol:
Oh no :lol:
I guess there technically isn't anything stopping Toyotaro from making the draft releases wildly misleading.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:59 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:06 am I've seen some say that this is no different from him helping Piccolo, so why is it a big deal (thankfully it's not that many) ? Here's the 2 major differences between them(although god knows why this isn't obvious):

1- Piccolo didn't hurt anyone. He may have talked a lot about doing so, but he never hurt a soul, and went as far as fighting according to tournament rules. When Piccolo was healed, he left everyone alone for half a decade. Moro on the other hand ? tens of millions dead with zero redeeming qualities.

2- If Piccolo died, so would Kami. Let's say that Piccolo was even worse than Moro, they still couldn't kill him because it would kill an innocent person as well. What innocent person would die if Moro was killed ?
YamiGoku wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:30 pmThats not the real Goku, thats TFS Goku.
I cannot believe something like this found its way into official material.
Ziegander wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:43 pmSelf-parody? Please tell me that translation is incorrect.
I can't believe this happened 2 days after I called modern DB a self parody of the original.
Totamo wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:50 amWhat happens when they run out of material to use because they have completely used up everything.
They'll just reuse everything again. They've already brought Freeza back twice, and had 2 Brolys back to back. We'll probably get another Future Trunks arc sooner or later.
Piccolo is the reincarnation of Piccolo daimao. You know the same daimao that was responsible for killing krillin and made Roshi kill himself and there was no gurantee that Piccolo would have just left everyone alone. I'm not talking killing him but healing him and then letting him go.

There is also still Vegeta who was an actual killer who Goku also let go, then there was Freeza who Goku healed and still let go and then there was Buu who Goku knowingly helped revived, refuse to deal with it because he wanted the kids to get a chance

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DevilKing99 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:15 pm

If we go past EOZ, do any of you actually believe anything will be different?

Bandai, Toei and Shueisha clearly does not care for Uub, they have not marketed Uub anywhere at all,

Look at Heroes, has been around for almost over 10 years at this point and it has not featured Uub anywhere at all, and there are things like SSJ3 Nappa, SSJ4 Broly, Black Omega Shenron, and Baby plus Hatichyack.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:24 pm

TKA wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:55 am 10ish pages of people complaining about things they have no context for is a good reminder that from year to year, this place never changes.

We've done this song and dance consistently, month after month, for years at this point. Yet it never sinks in to just wait for the chapter to be out. You don't have to say anything; the thread can stay dead for a couple days. When you discuss out of context spoilers for so long, the only thing you're doing is spreading misinformation to people who aren't as enfranchised as you might be.
The spoilers are from the official draft pages it’s ridiculous to expect people to not discuss them. And there is no misinformation being spread. Everyone has access to the draft pages. People are just commenting on those 8 pages. Just like we comment after every chapter even though we don’t know what is going to happen next chapter. They wouldn’t post them if they didn’t expect fans to discuss them.

No one is judging the chapter as a whole just Goku giving a Senzu to Moro. Perhaps there will be an amazing twist that will make me like this development and then that’s cool but Goku just beating Moro again in Ui is certainly not it. And considering how I feel about twists in modern DB that also doesn’t fill me with confidence. Yes we are probably all jumping to conclusions but that doesn’t mean I’ll like what comes next.

The two things I want is for Goku to not be treated like an idiot and for Vegeta’s entire role in this arc not to be wasted. So if those two things don’t happen then I’ll say my disappointment was justified.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:54 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:53 am
Matches Malone wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:45 am

I admit that was me. I am also a pessimist it’s why I also believe Vegeta won’t get to do anything else this arc

But it’s nice to get confirmation the manga will continue after this

And now we have not just Toriyama but an editor who works closely with Toyo and Toriyama on the manga. But people will continue to blame everything they dislike on Toyo. That’s not to say he doesn’t hold some of the blame for a bad writing decision just it’s the job of editors to steer a writer in a better direction. And with something like Dragonball which isn’t Toyo’s to begin with you would think they would especially veto what they consider bad ideas.
I have been saying for months that Toyo's editor is equally to blame for Toyo's writing and Toriyama is also showing that he isn't a very good editor. Like how the heck did Piccolo's, "Vegeta is never one to underestimate his opponent" get past the draft phase. And the Senzu in the preview is just bad because while it is perfectly fine for Goku to want Moro to be arrest over him killing him, he didn't need to heal the guy to do that as Jaco himself pointed out. The whole thing reads like retread of Goku gives Cell a Senzu while misunderstanding why Goku did it outside of the memes.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:58 pm

DevilKing99 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:15 pm If we go past EOZ, do any of you actually believe anything will be different?
The core issue isn't just the time period, it's the people writing the stories.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:16 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:43 pm It took Goku basically three hits to dominate Moro. He’s no threat whatsoever right now.

It’s not even similar to what was happening with Cell when Gohan was toying around too much, because Ultra Instinct ensures that there’s no way Moro can try anything crazy without Goku immediately reacting.

It would be way out of character if Goku just went there and killed a defenseless begging-for life villain, no matter how evil. Especially in such a case where Goku is clearly way superior and still at full power.

I hope Goku keeps beating up Moro over and over while giving him senzus. Maybe something will happen within Moro and he will decide to actually hand himself over to Jaco, and possibly Vegeta may go there and separate him from 73.

I still don’t expect this arc to end with Moro alive, but I wouldn’t mind him being kept alive and deciding to spend a lot of years fully reforming in the Galactic Prison. Until eventually Goku comes in and ask them to free him up to participate in some kind of tournament.
The problem is that Goku didn't need to heal Moro to have his arrested. After he finished beating Moro, he could have easily told Jaco to arrest him. Rather the patrol killed him or not isn't in Goku's hands. Giving him a Senzu wasn't necessary to the point that even Jaco pointed that out.

And it's also not in Goku's nature to heal someone just so he could beat the shit of them again and again and hope they redeem themselves, especially since Moro isn't a fighter. He's a leech who takes other people's hard work and unlike every other villain, Goku have shown not an ouch of respect for Moro. Granted, most of that is because Goku and Moro have no relationship.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.