"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Alruneia » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:43 am

Alruneia wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:I find it unfitting that the fandom had decided that YET TO BE NAMED defuncted Friza soldier is "Raspberry", for all we know that character had died on Namek in filler. Just because someone on the Dragon Ball Wikia had decided that they're the same guy doesn't mean the whole world has to follow it. There were FAR TOO MANY mistakes in that wiki to begin with, and I have been there since 2006, so trust me on that one.
Jumping to conclusions is one of the things this fandom does best. This is just another entry in the list of things people have jumped to conclusions about during Super's run. Some ended up to be right, most didn't.
Aaand his name is Cranberry. Jumping to conclusions ended up giving the wrong answer again, what a surprise.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:50 am

It was just a battle chapter with no new magic techniques? :( Oh well. It was nice to look at, but I guess I got my hopes up too high when I heard magic powers.

Maybe there will be some creativity on how they defeat him.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

micah007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by micah007 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:55 am

I think the only way to get creative here is if he really can do illusion based stuff. As regards more straightforward abilities, Dragonball has had them all already; time stopping, energy stealing, body swapping, absorption, transformation beams etc.
I think the problem here is you can't make him too broken since Goku and Vegeta are one dimensional fighters. For instance if Moro had extreme magical, breaks all the rules of nature abilities they'd stand no chance. Having read the chapter still hope he shows off better abilities. Gravity Manipulation and Pocket Reality Illusion s wouldn't break the verse that much and would be nice.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:56 am

BrolySSJL wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:
Yes and no. You could say it's an equivalent to the anime's Blue Evolution, but the manga never presents it as anything more than another power-up for Blue rather than a transformation. It's just Blue with a new aura.

Similarly for Goku, in the manga's Tournament of Power, it's not Kaioken -- just a power-stressed Blue.
Which, imo, is stupid. Why not just use SSBKK and SSBE? Merge the continuities!
Are you serious?

SSBKK and SSBE are from Toei, not Toriyama... Thanks god is only an anime thing. Well, even in the Broly movie nobody mentions that shitty transformations.
AND!? Toyo is literally just making forms that are the EQUIVALENTS of SSBE and SSBKK. Thery’re the same thing. Accept Toei’s being less confusing. In the manga however, we have multiple forms of SSB that ALL LOOK BASICALLY THE SAME. And now Goku introduces some technique in the T.o.P manga that doe sthe exact same thing as kaioken but ISN’T kaioken and we NEVER get an exact explanation of what it is. Now we have this new ability from Vegeta that still looks exactly like SSB but is something similar to kaioken.

He’s introducing multiple forms that are confusing to keep track of the fill the SAME ROLES as SSBE and SSBKK from the anime. Might as well just use those forms.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:58 am

My only disappointment is that the chapter ended so fast. I really hate waiting a month.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:04 pm

Honestly, I really loved this chapter. Moro is a fascinating character. His mere presence is enough to drain a planet and it's inhabitants of their life essence, and he's using the life energy of the planet to attack over his own power. He's an interesting character that I was hoping we would get. Really interested to see how the rest of this chapter goes

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:05 pm

I sense a Genkidama solution to this.

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:06 pm

TKA wrote:Well that was boring.

We spent 40 pages going over something we learned of in Moro's introductory chapter.

I don't get the point of this arc. This is stupid and bad right now. This is like a Toei movie.
Agreed, these last two chapters could have been a single one imo

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:10 pm

Enjoyable chapter with a whole new type of conflict. I do want more creative magic, but this alone creates a whole new sort of problem while fighting. Though with how he's basically doing Beerus' job in a sense, I would think he'd want to do something. Now someone else is going to multiple planets destroying them/absorbing their energy. He's the one who judges planets. I hope we see Beerus show up and be like "Hey you, being a destroyer is my job."
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:18 pm

Well honestly neither Goku or Vegeta came off as dumb as I feared so that’s a relief.

Moro’s magic power isn’t as interesting as I hoped. But having the entire planet at his disposal and being able to steal energy could create an interesting dilemma for Goku and Vegeta.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:44 pm

I was hoping he would use illusions to attack the nervous system directly...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:57 pm

There's not much to say about this chapter, honestly.

Instead of a villain with outlandish magical abilities that can put the pressure on our heroes and force them to acclimate in ways outside of their usual approach to fighting, we get Moro spamming the same technique he was established to use since the beginning of the arc, and Vegeta responding with his not-so-unusual "save the trump card for the right moment" strategy. Instead of any real story progression, the chapter leaves on roughly the same note it began -- only with Goku and Vegeta sapped of their energy by the end.

This is probably some of the worst pacing I've experienced from the manga. The previous chapter was fine on that front, but with Toyotaro failing to capitalize on the opportunities his story can provide, it feels disappointingly hollow so far. 40 pages is more than enough time to put forth more momentum than what we've been getting here.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:59 pm

I still stand by the fact that he needs some henchmen. Again, i suggest shadow spirit warriors. Maybe he uses the souls he’s absorbed and makes them fight for him. Heck, maybe even have him use magic on Cranberry to mutate Cranberry into some kinda monster warrior. Or heck, have him go back to Galactic Patrol HQ and break out the rest of the prisoners to have them fight for him.

I see the next chapter being Moro making quick work of Goku and then taking the Dragon Balls while Jaco and Merus begin the procedure to extract the Daikaioshin from Buu or whatever. I dont know how Moror will find all the dragon balls but I'm guessing he’ll use some kind of magic searching technique.

I DO think he will get his wish and possibly absorb Porunga after.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:07 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:We get Moro spamming the same technique he was established to use since the beginning of the arc
No. In the beginning, all that was established was telekinesis, ki attacks, and his genki absorption. We knew nothing about him being able to conjure up the energy from a planet directly and use the pure energy of the planet against opponents without even draining his own power.
This is probably some of the worst pacing I've experienced from the manga.
Are you saying this about specifically the chapter or the arc? Because for an arc with now only 4 chapters, well, 3 and 1/3 chapters, I dont think its fair to be judging the pacing so harshly just because you found one chapter too slow for your liking.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:29 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:Its early, some said 'I dont get the point of super' when it started, and its not like this is going to be over as fast as the mangas ROF arc. Patience my padawan.

Stupid and bad is subjective.

Toei movies are animated, dont be silly :P
Yes, I recognize this arc is only 3.3 chapters long.

Yes, stupid and bad are subjective.

That's why I said "right now" and since I made the post, I think it'd be pretty apparent that me saying "Stupid and bad" is just my opinion.

This entire chapter was poorly-plotted. Why do we need a lengthy fight scene for Vegeta to get information we already know? Moro was introduced sucking life from a planet and its inhabitants. This was a nothing chapter. At the end of it we're almost literally back to where we ended last month.

This kind of paint by the numbers Dragonball is what I expect from the pre-Toriyama movies. I wish instead of Moro it was Bojack so I could at least be amused (in an ironic sorta way).
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:31 pm

Seems odd that Vegeta didn't notice his energy being sapped.

Is the whole "turning Blue twice drains 90% of your power" weakness gone? Vegeta never got to transform again, but he was ready to. I guess I overlooked this in the previous arcs.

Moro mentioning how Vegeta would've been an "insect" to him at his best makes me believe we're going to see it eventually.
Last edited by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:32 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: In the beginning, all that was established was telekinesis, ki attacks, and his genki absorption.
That's exactly what he's been doing throughout the chapter. Even if you want to get super pedantic and argue that he's using a slightly different application of it, it's not hard to infer that he can use his telekinesis to sling around the planet's energy like a weapon.

Making your villain a one-trick pony for 45 pages when his appeal is specifically his magic - one of the most diverse fighting styles you can give to an antagonist - isn't particularly exciting, fresh, or new. Frankly, Babidi had more interesting tricks up his sleeve.
AnimeNation101 wrote: Are you saying this about specifically the chapter or the arc?
I'm talking about the chapter, but as far as the arc goes, the best its pacing can be at this point is inconsistent (and that's assuming it picks up at all).

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: In the beginning, all that was established was telekinesis, ki attacks, and his genki absorption.

Making your villain a one-trick pony for 45 pages when his appeal is specifically his magic - one of the most diverse fighting styles you can give to an antagonist - isn't particularly exciting, fresh, or new.
To be fair, its been expressed multiple times that Moro is nowhere near able to access his full potential yet. So it makes sense that he would only be showing off a technique of his that doesn’t require his own power to be use. This point is void if these turns out to be his only magical abilities.
Marlowe89 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Are you saying this about specifically the chapter or the arc?
I'm talking about the chapter, but as far as the arc goes, the best its pacing can be at this point is inconsistent (and that's assuming it picks up at all).
Inconsistent because you found one chapter too slow? Even if the chapters before this one and after this one are paced to your liking?

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:03 pm

TKA wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:Its early, some said 'I dont get the point of super' when it started, and its not like this is going to be over as fast as the mangas ROF arc. Patience my padawan.

Stupid and bad is subjective.

Toei movies are animated, dont be silly :P
Yes, I recognize this arc is only 3.3 chapters long.

Yes, stupid and bad are subjective.

That's why I said "right now" and since I made the post, I think it'd be pretty apparent that me saying "Stupid and bad" is just my opinion.

This entire chapter was poorly-plotted. Why do we need a lengthy fight scene for Vegeta to get information we already know? Moro was introduced sucking life from a planet and its inhabitants. This was a nothing chapter. At the end of it we're almost literally back to where we ended last month.

This kind of paint by the numbers Dragonball is what I expect from the pre-Toriyama movies. I wish instead of Moro it was Bojack so I could at least be amused (in an ironic sorta way).
Stopping people transforming at all is a bit of an odd 'nothing' considering it makes it seem like Vegeta isnt able to do it for different reasons than 'I'm too tired' before 'HE IS OUT OF STAMINA' *flashbacks to the TOP*

Its a shonen, there are chapters like this in the genre all the time. It plagues most series in the bracket to have a few fight chapter of nothing followed by a few plot and back and forth. Just something I've come to expect really. Naruto was the worst for it I've read in a while with its endless boss rush before a lackluster final battle.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:17 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:This point is void if these turns out to be his only magical abilities.
No, it's not. You're misrepresenting my point.

I've repeatedly made it very clear that I'm referring to this month. Giving Moro more abilities later isn't suddenly going to change dozens of pages offering nothing of significance. It's a poorly structured (and very poorly paced) chapter that barely moves the plot forward and doesn't contribute anything to the overarching story, which makes it almost pointless in the grand scheme of the arc. That's my key complaint here.
AnimeNation101 wrote: Inconsistent because you found one chapter too slow?
I think you should go back and carefully read my thoughts on previous chapters before making that charge. Chapter 43's pacing in particular left a lot to be desired. We're already seeing a bad pattern.