"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kinokima » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:32 pm

Could it be that Goku can now sense God Ki in his base form because he’s been training how to use UI when he is not transformed? Or am I overthinking it?

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Yuji wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:20 pm
DiscountDabi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:41 pm Funny thing to note. The last time Vegeta got to fight for the sake of fighting was in the Buu saga as Majin Vegeta. Something he probrably also regrets. He is right, its been ages.
Not necessarily. He did fight for fun in the universe 6 tournament. The characters themselves admit the stakes weren't very high and Vegeta agreed out of a desire to fight for his own enjoyment.
Ye was gonna say U6 tournament they didn’t really seem to care if Earth ended up in U6. But I guess it was still fighting for some Beerus’ purpose.

Would say for Majin Vegeta even though he gained the form for a simple fight with Goku he still had Buu’s release in the back of his mind and any subsequent danger to earth/his family.

Here he knows it is just on Cereal and a grudge directly aimed at him. Unless the Heeters have learned about Goku & Vegetas family and would try to use their children as bait in Granolah’s grudge.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:30 pm Timing and execution are important. Moving at a snail's pace for what is likely to be a two or three chapter fight does not work. Two things happened in this chapter: Vegeta tries telling Granola the truth and Granola refuses to believe him and Vegeta transforms. That is maybe 15-20 pages of story and character connected by fighting. The back half of this chapter should have been Vegeta using his new form. With the way things are going we're going to be stuck with forty-five pages of standing in place for the next chapter. That doesn't work for such large chapters, especially when they take a month to to release.
I feel like that's par for the course with manga in general. Especially since this only has 20 pages to do what it got to do. That being said, I think anyone who thinks nothing is going on besides the fighting is not looking hard enough: This is absolutely a Vegeta showcase and showing us that we're possibly returning to less "ALL EGO VEGETA" From Z, and more of the Savage, cunning character he was during the saiyan saga.

And like I said before, I think all of this is going to play much better once the arc is completed and you'll be able to read this all at once.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:03 pm

Trouser wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:01 pm Really nice chapter I must say. Fun fight, fun trash talk from both fighters. But... I didn't like the fact that Vegeta was fighting better against "whole" Granolah and Goku got his ass beaten by a mere weaken clone. It's just stupid. It's DBS anime level of stupid.
Unfortunatelly, to me the new Vegeta form still looks like shit. It's unsalvable for me.
I feel like we go through this all the time, I swear. "It's turrible, the worst".

"eeh I guess it wasn't that bad."

Also, Vegeta technically didn't do better than Goku...it's just that Vegeta's attitude towards the battle served him a lot more than Goku's. To use wrestling terms: Goku is the baby face and fights clean--that's why he lost. Vegeta is absolutely the heel, and he reacts accordingly: goading Granolah, fucking with him mentally, trying to break his legs. This isn't just a contest for Vegeta--it's him reveling in violence. Something he hasn't done in ages.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:35 pm

About the "different kind of god-ki" line, I surely hope they leave it at that. It's enough to validate "hakai energy" or whatever for the anime and its fans if they want to interpret it that way, without actually affecting the manga for the sake of it. I wouldn't be the first time tho, we already had SSBe, kaioken, and various PLs.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:22 pm

Toyotaro has been exclusively drawing otherworld warriors for this for months. Tinfoil hat, what if the character Toriyama mentioned for the new movie is Pikkon.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:42 pm

Is the self-improvement conditioning of Saiyans strictly relegated to familiarity with an opponent's style or does it broadly refer to battle power? I ask because I don't recall this phenomenon being a thing outside of Goku Black in the anime. Zenkais were a concept that became largely phased out post Freeza. Adaptation still exists but it's been a condition exploited by characters dating back to the 21st tournament and by others who weren't Goku or Vegeta.

Chorographically the fighting was enjoyable. I agree with the others who state that Toyotaro's visual movements have improved in their originality and depth since the early years of BOG and the Champa arc. The mechanical scales of the attacks seem muted with respect to what these characters should be emitting but I suppose that's par for the course with trying to make an entertaining spectacle without it devolving into an endless chain of explosions that destroys the universe in a blinding inferno of ki and detritus.

My reaction to Vegeta's patronising of Granolah for lacking experience with his newfound power is a reflection back on when this concept could have applied yet seemingly didn't for some reason. Anyone remember Goku's dramatic new evolution following the Choshinsui trial? The juvenile munchkin had a centuries old warlord on the ropes. I guess you could write that off as Daimou being out of practice due to years languishing in confinement within the rice cooker. What about Vegeta himself, though? You seemed perfectly fine trading blows with SSJ2 Goku in the Buu arc with nary a protest made of being unfamiliar with the power levels given to you via a magical spell much like Granolah's wish.

Being honest, I don't care for much of Vegeta's attitude this chapter. Granolah hasn't endeared himself to me either but I can at least find enjoyment with his stylistic exploitation of vital spots as a precision based fighter. I think he needs to do more than declare his intent to indiscriminately slaughter every surviving Saiyan regardless of guilt. Close to the end of the chapter he does raise an interesting question about the lives sacrificed to satiate the Saiyans' lust for battle -- having some elaboration on that might help him some, I hope.

I feel like I'm wanting to see Granolah put a couple of ki rounds into Vegeta's cro magnon face. I admit my general disinclination for Vegeta is influencing my opinion here. It was good from a fighting perspective but in terms of dialogue both characters weren't exactly at their best if you ask me.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:03 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:55 pm When it comes down to it, Dragon Ball is a comic about fighting. The fighting is the story,
I love when action tells a story. That's why Zack Snyder is mentioned in my sig. Toriyama is a master of this. Just look at any images from the Saiyan arc, and the battle damage, the expressions—it all tells a story, and depending on where in the battle you take those images, they tell different stories that correspond to what Toriyama was going for.

This isn't a story. The fights with Granolah are just padding. Pulling a Granolah clone out makes whatever Goku did pointless. The closest thing to a "story" here is a dragged out version of the kung-fu trope "I am not actually left-handed." That is, characters just going "I was actually just holding back". It's nonsense.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:50 am

Jack Bz wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:38 pm If that summary is true I'll print out every post of mine and eat it
Have you finished printing yet? 317 posts is a lot of paper to go through.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:05 am

This is such a brilliantly portrayed fight. The direction, the techniques, the character interactions, SO good!
I like how Vegeta is trying to play with Granola's emotions. One of my favorite moments of this was him trying to make Granola doubt his fighting ability (by referencing his zenkai power).
Still neutral on Vegeta's new form. I don't care much about the eyebrows, but the aura looks pretty.
Crossed my fingers that Vegeta will not get beaten into burger patties next chapter.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:10 am

Brettjr25 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:18 pm What color do you think the new form is? I'm guessing dark green hair or perhaps purple?
I am pretty certain it is a deep purple like Toppo's hakaishin state.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:31 am

TKA wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:03 am
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:55 pm When it comes down to it, Dragon Ball is a comic about fighting. The fighting is the story,
I love when action tells a story. That's why Zack Snyder is mentioned in my sig. Toriyama is a master of this. Just look at any images from the Saiyan arc, and the battle damage, the expressions—it all tells a story, and depending on where in the battle you take those images, they tell different stories that correspond to what Toriyama was going for.

This isn't a story. The fights with Granolah are just padding. Pulling a Granolah clone out makes whatever Goku did pointless. The closest thing to a "story" here is a dragged out version of the kung-fu trope "I am not actually left-handed." That is, characters just going "I was actually just holding back". It's nonsense.
Completely disagree. The point of this fight is show the results of both Vegeta's and Goku's training. However, what makes this markedly different how much Beerus' training has clearly changed Vegeta's attitude. And that's apparent in how he holds himself, how he reacts to Granolah which is markedly different from how Vegeta has held himself in the past. This is absolutely storytelling via action rather than simply focusing on exposition to get us through.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:34 am

Kinokima wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:32 pm Could it be that Goku can now sense God Ki in his base form because he’s been training how to use UI when he is not transformed? Or am I overthinking it?
He could already sense it in Base form during the climax of the battle against Earth Moro, when he was being squeezed by Earth Moro’s hands and drained in Base.

Then Uub’s giant and massive energy ball appeared out of nowhere, and then drained Base Goku said: “It feels like God Power”

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:32 am

You know what. I miss when Dragon Ball Characters would just shout their attack names.

I love Merged Zamasu cause he just screams “Holy Wrath” throwing his attack and “Blades Of Judgement”

Its one of the rawest things in Dragon Ball. Moro didn’t have even a single named attack. Neither did Jiren.

Can Granolah please just one named attack? Just one?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:28 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:32 am You know what. I miss when Dragon Ball Characters would just shout their attack names.

I love Merged Zamasu cause he just screams “Holy Wrath” throwing his attack and “Blades Of Judgement”

Its one of the rawest things in Dragon Ball. Moro didn’t have even a single named attack. Neither did Jiren.

Sorghum slingshot? Carbo-Carnage? Wheat Whacker?

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:49 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:28 am
DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:32 am You know what. I miss when Dragon Ball Characters would just shout their attack names.

Crisp Cannon. Flaky Bomber. Omlette Gun. Bacon Blaster.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:49 am

That was more because Fused Zamasu is an extremely narcissistic and vainglorious individual. Just look at the names of his attacks. "Holy Wrath", "Blades of Judgement", "Lightning of Absolution", "Light of Divine Justice", etc.

And that's why I love him :wink:

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:06 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:49 am

That was more because Fused Zamasu is an extremely narcissistic and vainglorious individual. Just look at the names of his attacks. "Holy Wrath", "Blades of Judgement", "Lightning of Absolution", "Light of Divine Justice", etc.

And that's why I love him :wink:
Absolutley. Same reason Vegeta gives his moves such grandiose names like Big Bang Attack and Final Flash.

Oh, and he's another good one. Eggcellence Beam :wink:

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:06 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:49 am

Quaker Quake, Special K gun, Rice Reaper, Glycolysis-ken

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:13 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:06 am
DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:49 am

Quaker Quake, Special K gun, Rice Reaper, Glycolysis-ken
Rice Reaper Honestly Isn't Bad. Might have to write that one down.