"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:13 pm

Goku never actually sensed Kaioshin during the Boo saga.

The only reason he found the Kaioshin realm was because he felt Gohan. Goku was surprised to see Kaioshin and Kibito there.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:31 pm

Noitsnothim wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:28 pm
AnimeNation101 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:16 pm
Noitsnothim wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:55 am

You don't get it (Back in the 90's) toriyama hadn't expanded God Ki for mortals or at least the way he did in Battle of Gods (well Piccolo when Merged with Kami sorta got Godly Powers but even then he can't tap into em) So Uub now having a reason for being on par with Goku during the 28th world tournament is purely out of plot convenience
First off, Uub was never on par with Goku in the 28th Tournament to begin with so this whole revelation from the latest chapter wasn’t made as plot convenience for the reason you mentioned. There was never a need for a reason that Uub was on par with Goku because Uub was never on par with him at all.

Second off, it was already established before that Uub was a special child because he held the potential to be as powerful as Kid Buu. This chapter has told us that Kid Buu himself had the hidden potential to unlock the godly ki from the daikaioshin. So the only thing that has changed is that Uub just has more hidden potential all together. He has the potential to become as powerful as Kid Buu AND unlock godly ki.

Nothing has really changed for Uub as a character since he was always special to begin with.

If anything, this helps the plot of the End of Z Tournament. Now it makes more sense why Goku would be interested in training Uub. Having the potential to be as powerful as Kid Buu is nothing compared to Goku’s power now. But having the potential of being as powerful as Kid Buu WITH godly ki from the daikaioshin is much more exciting for Goku.
then wouldn't Buuhan be technically stronger than Kid Buu considering he also had godki cause of daikaioshin ?
Neither Kid Buu nor anything other form of Buu ever tapped into that god ki. I’m just saying they’ve had it dormant in them. Its been unlocked in Majin Buu now since the memories and personality Daikaioshin has been awakened in him too.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:24 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:13 pm Goku never actually sensed Kaioshin during the Boo saga.

The only reason he found the Kaioshin realm was because he felt Gohan. Goku was surprised to see Kaioshin and Kibito there.
Yeah that's how I've always known it. It's why God ki being undetectable sort of works. Just gotta say that Goku sensed Bubbles whenever he went to Kaios and there's no issue.

Typical Toriyama, coming up with something and it accidentally fitting. I'd say he reread the manga and realised it could work like that, but I highly doubt it

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:32 pm

In retrospect Daikaio should've never trade places with Boo his ass wouldn't have gotten embarrassed and Boo could've easily turned moro into chocolate or opened portals with his hyperspace punches (Punching thru portals)

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:14 pm

Noitsnothim wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:32 pm In retrospect Daikaio should've never trade places with Boo his ass wouldn't have gotten embarrassed and Boo could've easily turned moro into chocolate or opened portals with his hyperspace punches (Punching thru portals)
Are you implying the dai kai can't use any of boo's abilities while their "switched placed"

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:04 pm

jplaya2023 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:14 pm
Noitsnothim wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:32 pm In retrospect Daikaio should've never trade places with Boo his ass wouldn't have gotten embarrassed and Boo could've easily turned moro into chocolate or opened portals with his hyperspace punches (Punching thru portals)
Are you implying the dai kai can't use any of boo's abilities while their "switched placed"
Ofcourse he can’t. He doesn’t have the “body” of Buu.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:10 am

Chapter's out.

I still have to ruminate on my feelings toward it, but my initial reaction to it was "meh".

There is one line that I'd like to discuss though

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:18 am

Fun but kinda a waste of time chapter. It's clear that Toyotaro wanted to leave Moro's 3rd wish for the even Chapter 50.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:24 am

...So does Uub have god ki?
Feels over Reals.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:38 am

RedHeat wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:24 am ...So does Uub have god ki?
As I see it, it could go either way. We know that Kid Buu had the Grand Supreme Kai's god power within him when he died, so if absolutely all of Kid Buu's power was reincarnated into Uub, then yes, Uub should have some god ki lying dormant. However, the Grand Supreme Kai theorises that his god power was obliterated when Goku killed Kid Buu, which may mean that it was lost/destroyed and Uub doesn't have it. It's not fully clear right now, but it'll definitely be brought up again if he does have it, maybe even in this arc.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:45 am

Xeogran wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:18 am Fun but kinda a waste of time chapter. It's clear that Toyotaro wanted to leave Moro's 3rd wish for the even Chapter 50.
Kind of how I feel about it. Nothing happened (except the info about Kid Buu)

Fighting in Space was cool but now they are going back to Namek meh.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:57 am

RedHeat wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:24 am ...So does Uub have god ki?
If so, I'd imagine that'll satisfy anyone who's been looking for an explanation as to why Goku is even remotely interested in Uub after all the stuff he's seen/gone through in Super.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:15 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:24 pm
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:13 pm Goku never actually sensed Kaioshin during the Boo saga.

Yeah that's how I've always known it. It's why God ki being undetectable sort of works. Just gotta say that Goku sensed Bubbles whenever he went to Kaios and there's no issue.

Typical Toriyama, coming up with something and it accidentally fitting. I'd say he reread the manga and realised it could work like that, but I highly doubt it
Except Goku was shocked when he learned that he can't feel Beerus and King Kai had to tell him that God Ki isn't sensible by mortals. An odd statement if Goku knew for years being around King Kai that he can't sense god ki.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:16 pm

Chapter 49 random and scattered thoughts:

- Glad the possible problem with the Moro being able to grant his wish with Porunga despite the Grand Elder being killed was cleared up.

- Moro is still as bland as a generic doomsday villain can be personality wise. Seriously, he is basically Janemba but with a wider vocabulary.

- The paneling and fight choreography was good.

- The Galactic Patrol continue to be the best thing about this entire arc.

- Nice to know Toyotaro cleared up whether Saiyans can survive in the vacuum of space or not.

- I wish they didn't have to go back to Namek. It's one of the worst planets in all of Dragon Ball. Not just for its boring landscape and design, but because there is nothing interesting on that planet to explore. I can only pray this will lead to somehow Piccolo getting involved in the conflict.

- I swear, with how much Toyotaro is teasing the third wish, it better be something spectacular, that also shakes up the status quo.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:35 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:16 pm - I swear, with how much Toyotaro is teasing the third wish, it better be something spectacular, that also shakes up the status quo.
Worst case scenario. Its immortality or some generic buff that makes Moro either harder to beat or harder to best in combat.

As for Moro as a villain, i feel like a problem with him is his weak connection.

Most DB main antagonists, when introduced, had some sort of connection to existing main cast members, villain(s) of a previous arc, or previously established info.

Moro’s only real character connection is to the Daikaioshin who is not only not a part of the main cast but is also someone we barely knew or cared for. He has a connection to the Galactic Patrol but they aren’t really a part of the main cast either. Neither were they established as important in the first place.

So it makes Moro feel like a rando villain that came out of nowhere for convinence. And him being bad just for the sake of it doesn’t help him either.

I still like him but give him stronger connections would make him more interesting. Or at least give him more, not as strong, connections. Like, maybe he worked with Bibidi before. Or he’s crossed paths with Kid Buu. Or he has ties to the Demon Realm.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:46 pm

Nice to see Toyotaro going to the trouble of clarifying some things for the reader. How Porunga was still able to grant the third wish and the Saiyans' seeming ability to continue surviving in what looked like Space were question marks to some of the fans, I think. I'm guessing they were positioned somewhere in the mesosphere or thermosphere of Namek's atmosphere.

I agree with Lord Beerus. Merus really shined this chapter with his improvised usage of technology and tactical manoeuvring to get Moro in a position where he could be teleported back to Namek for Goku and Vegeta to fight him. It was a good usage of his character without pushing the boundaries too much; really one of the shining moments where tactical fighting pays off.

You know they keep bringing up things like Moro's third wish. If it's a wish that influences the course of the fight then I'm a little weary about it being just another way to supplement Moro's uninspiring magic escapades. Also, gimmicky techniques? Really Vegeta? You and your rival/quasi-companion have been exploiting hair changing transformations for the better part of two decades. You're not in a position to be shooting down other fighters' methodologies when your style is pretty gimmicky itself.

The chapter was mostly decent, I think. They've brought up Namekian assimilation for the second time now. I really would like to see Piccolo involved here but that's wishful thinking at this point.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:05 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:35 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:16 pm - I swear, with how much Toyotaro is teasing the third wish, it better be something spectacular, that also shakes up the status quo.
Worst case scenario. Its immortality or some generic buff that makes Moro either harder to beat or harder to best in combat.

As for Moro as a villain, i feel like a problem with him is his weak connection.

Most DB main antagonists, when introduced, had some sort of connection to existing main cast members, villain(s) of a previous arc, or previously established info.

Moro’s only real character connection is to the Daikaioshin who is not only not a part of the main cast but is also someone we barely knew or cared for. He has a connection to the Galactic Patrol but they aren’t really a part of the main cast either. Neither were they established as important in the first place.

So it makes Moro feel like a rando villain that came out of nowhere for convinence. And him being bad just for the sake of it doesn’t help him either.

I still like him but give him stronger connections would make him more interesting. Or at least give him more, not as strong, connections. Like, maybe he worked with Bibidi before. Or he’s crossed paths with Kid Buu. Or he has ties to the Demon Realm.
Moro wishing for immortality would be so fucking lame. Zamasu's masochist character shift pretty much wrung the well of "evolving personality from attaining immorality" bone dry. I do have bad feeling it will be a wish that will him grant him the ability to hit harder or tank more damage.

You also bring up a lot of good point about how Moro lack of a connection to someone we're already invested in. I have more of a problem with how Moro lacks any real origin, any kind of motivation for what he's doing and any real personality beyond stock mustache twirling villainy.

Moro's third wish and his character design are only interesting things he has going for him, in my opinion. Because he's pretty creatively bankrupt in nearly every department.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:16 pm

I find it interesting how Buu seemingly had God power inside him. I guess this will be brought back up if they ever go after the end of Z and show Goku training Uub, and it gives me hope that will day will finally happen in the near future.
Basically Uub may be a natural “Earthling God” as he would probably possess hidden potential to master God ki.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:20 pm

emperior wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:16 pm I find it interesting how Buu seemingly had God power inside him. I guess this will be brought back up if they ever go after the end of Z and show Goku training Uub, and it gives me hope that will day will finally happen in the near future.
Basically Uub may be a natural “Earthling God” as he would probably possess hidden potential to master God ki.
can't wait to see how this story continues to unfold.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:29 pm

As above have said, I hope that Moro's wish is a bit more original than simply wishing for immortality. I had earlier thought his wish was to be immune from the Dai Kaioshin's Kai Kai Matoru technique, but it seems it's more of a defense against Goku and Vegeta. I also think that the memories of Mr. Buu surfacing showing Goku doing the Genki Dama were not coincidental. Many have already theorized that the way to defeat Moro is by using his own technique against him, by using Genki that he absorbed, taking a page of the Tree of Might.

Also, it's cool to think that Kid Buu actually had some god ki. He would need to have a mix of mortal and god since his ki could be sensed. In addition, if Uub is the reincarnation of Buu, then possibly he has god ki innately as well. Dai Kaioshin must have been quite strong in his prime, weaker than Beerus of course, but still quite strong. He would be at least above SSJ3 Goku in Buu saga.

I really enjoyed the chapter and also Merus's incorporation. It's nice to see characters find ways to help even though they aren't all powerful.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707