"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Man, what a awful chapter. If Toyotaro is in such a rush to end this arc on the manga, then give us UI Goku vs. Jiren on the next chapter already, damn it.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:37 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:Man, what a awful chapter. If Toyotaro is in such a rush to end this arc on the manga, then give us UI Goku vs. Jiren on the next chapter already, damn it.
Well I don't know how they are going to go about introducing UI in the manga. In the anime it was built up and introduced a couple of times before Goku could actually fully utilize it. It in this case it seems like it is just going to come out of nowhere.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:38 pm

I don't get why people complained about the pacing problems of the anime. Outside of a few scenes, it gave almost every character time to shine besides the few obvious fodder characters.

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:45 pm

So is Vados implying that Kefla's power is superior to even Jiren's? She hints to it at least.

Edit: Also, I'm curious as to why Jiren simply said "unnecessary" to Goku's suggestion to go help Dyspo and co.

Probably because Jiren knows he doesnt actually need his team there at all and he'd be alright, even against Kefla and her new power.
Last edited by ssj3kakarot on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:47 pm

precita wrote:I don't get why people complained about the pacing problems of the anime. Outside of a few scenes, it gave almost every character time to shine besides the few obvious fodder characters.
I mean the only thing I will change for the anime is to Give U3 to U11 while have a better climax of U4 vs U7 and that's about it.
    The Manga really drop the ball this month seriously the Ft trunks saga is looking better even then that saga is average along with the U6 tournament that had an awful climax.
    Mostly active on discord.

Bergamo
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Manga Jiren = Anime Jiren
    Sorry guys, I was wrong. They are both equally inactive and cold towards their team.

I liked this chapter. It had a few problems, but I think it took the arc in an interesting new direction. It was fun to read, but it wasn't the most well written chapter. I think it is around the middle of the bunch for this arc, but if Toyotaro messes up Gohan vs Kelfa, then my opinion on this chapter will sour. I don't think he will do that though.
    My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

TKA
    Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:34 pm

Loved the chapter.

1. Cool thing about it is muh power levels are intact. Kale hit SSBlue Vegeta, and his expression was "wtf" instead of "AAAAAAAAAAH." Then he bounced back into the ring, gave Cabba a pep talk and then went back to not caring about Kale. She's strong, but not God-tier. This combined with last chapter where Goku and Frieza weren't being stressed by her confirms this.

2. Great chapter for Cabba. It allowed him to shine by playing up his strengths as a character, showed his relationship to Vegeta and ended with him saving the day for his team. He's a standout here, and not just a silly little boy like he is in the other medium.

3. Battle. Fucking. Royal!
    The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Bergamo wrote:Manga Jiren = Anime Jiren
    Sorry guys, I was wrong. They are both equally inactive and cold towards their team.
    It's so weird that Toyotaro would introduce Jiren as this very pragmatic, heroic and helpful person to his teammates, only to arbitrarily pull a 180 with Jiren and have him acting like an uncaring and aloof asshole. Like I said before, I hope this leads to something significant for Jiren's character. Perhaps some kind of epiphany or character progression, like what we got in the endgame of the anime. Because, goddamn, Jiren felt incredibly OOC in this chapter. I mean, there was no build up to him giving that kind of reaction.

Bergamo
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
    It's so weird that Toyotaro would introduce Jiren as this very pragmatic, heroic and helpful person to his teammates, only to arbitrarily pull a 180 with Jiren and have him acting like an uncaring and aloof asshole. Like I said before, I hope this leads to something significant for Jiren's character. Perhaps some kind of epiphany or character progression, like what we got in the endgame of the anime. Because, goddamn, Jiren felt incredibly OOC in this chapter. I mean, there was no build up to him giving that kind of reaction.
    There really isn't any build-up needed. We know Jiren is a hero, and we know he is a jerk. It's just strange because those two traits seem to almost contradict each other.
    PFM18 wrote:
    jeffbr92 wrote:Man, what a awful chapter. If Toyotaro is in such a rush to end this arc on the manga, then give us UI Goku vs. Jiren on the next chapter already, damn it.
    Well I don't know how they are going to go about introducing UI in the manga. In the anime it was built up and introduced a couple of times before Goku could actually fully utilize it. It in this case it seems like it is just going to come out of nowhere.
    Ultra instinct was actually foreshadowed in the manga. I don't mean they briefly mentioned the concept 100 episodes prior in a throw-away line that is almost identical to something that has been said before in the series. I mean Goku and Vegeta both know that they need ultra instinct and Beerus gave a demonstration in the Zen exhibition match. How Goku will get it is beyond me.

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:49 pm

Bergamo wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote:
    There really isn't any build-up needed. We know Jiren is a hero, and we know he is a jerk. It's just strange because those two traits seem to almost contradict each other.
    I never really got the idea that Manga Jiren was a jerk until this chapter (Chapter 38). He always seemed like a straightlaced, by the numbers superhero.
    Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bergamo
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
    Bergamo wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote: It's so weird that Toyotaro would introduce Jiren as this very pragmatic, heroic and helpful person to his teammates, only to arbitrarily pull a 180 with Jiren and have him acting like an uncaring and aloof asshole. Like I said before, I hope this leads to something significant for Jiren's character. Perhaps some kind of epiphany or character progression, like what we got in the endgame of the anime. Because, goddamn, Jiren felt incredibly OOC in this chapter. I mean, there was no build up to him giving that kind of reaction.
    I never really got the idea that Manga Jiren was a jerk until this chapter (Chapter 36). He always seemed like a straightlaced, by the numbers superhero.
    In 33 he said that Goku was an "eyesore," and in 35 he said that he had no skill and was not worth remembering. He's consistently been a jerk.

Black Hawk
    Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Honestly my favorite chapter in the entire Super manga thus far. Here are my predictions for the remainder of the manga.

CHAPTER 39

Three major battles: Turtle Hermit vs. Casserole, No. 17 vs. Dispo, and Gohan vs. Kafla
    -Turtle Hermit defeats and eliminates Casserole via the Evil Containment Wave, but it takes everything out of him and he voluntarily drops out.
    -In a battle of infinite energy vs. speed, infinite energy comes out the victor and No. 17 defeats and eliminates Dispo.
    -After a battle that takes everything he's got, the fruits of Gohan's training pay off and he defeats and eliminates Kafla by taking her down with him.
    Eliminations: Casserole, Turtle Hermit, Dispo, Kale, Caulifla, Gohan

CHAPTER 40
    Two major battles: Vegeta vs. Top, Goku vs. Jiren
    -Top doesn't become a destroyer and Vegeta soundly defeats and eliminates him.
    -Jiren slaughters Goku like a rag doll in a way that would make Aerosmith proud.
    -Vegeta joins Goku in his vain battle against Jiren.
    Eliminations: Top

(VOLUME 9)

CHAPTER 41
    One major battle: Goku and Vegeta vs. Jiren
    -Jiren defeats Goku and eliminates Vegeta, but not before Vegeta can give what remains of his energy to Goku.
    -Goku is pushed to the brink and achieves mastery of self-movement.
    Eliminations: Vegeta

CHAPTER 42
    Two major battles: Goku vs. Jiren, Goku and Freeza vs. Jiren
    -Goku severely wears Jiren down but eventually loses his mastery of self-movement.
    -Freeza joins Goku and they take Jiren down with them together.
    -No. 17 fulfills his role of surviving to the end and makes the wish.
    -Congraturation, this story is happy end.
    Eliminations: Jiren, Freeza, Goku

CHAPTER 43
    -Broli

CHAPTER 44
    -Broli

The tournament concluding with chapter 42 lines up well with the film's release of December 14, since chapter 43 would either release December 21, therefore not spoiling anything, or hold off until January 21 so as not to spoil the North American audience either. Thoughts?

Again, this is my prediction.
    "Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
    Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

TheSaiyanGod
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
    In fact, Jiren seemed to care about his team in this chapter.

When Kefla defeats a lot of U11 warriors, Jiren stares at his last companions being dominated. That's why Goku asks him to go help them, because otherwise he would not focus on fighting.

When he says that this is unnecessary, it seemed to me that he tried to be cold, to seem like he does not care about them, even if he cares

Miracles
    I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:08 pm

Very good chapter.
    Love the way Toyotaro is actually thinking and using fodder like it should...AS fodder.
    Sacrificing them to a stronger opponent is brilliant. It keeps pace with how a Royale is suppose to look and feel.
    Don't want to see a long dragged out boring team effort against a giant monster just to be overcome with friendship power in the end.

I wouldn't try to decipher Jiren's personality yet. He only told Goku it was unnecessary to help his teammates.
    That could mean that Jiren has faith that they will pull through or it may mean he doesn't care. Have to see.
    Khandom101 wrote:After reading this manga chapter. I've got to say, the anime version of the top arc far surpasses anything that the manga has put out thus far.
    Jiren is a huge disappointment, the main antagonist feels like a cheap side character that Goku has to fight in the end. Compared to his anime counterpart, he has no real impact or presence in the story at all and don't get me started on kale like literally she eliminated 4 universes just by her self. like is toyotaro even trying anymore (not that he was doing better before).
    Kale eliminated fodder which was very boring in the anime. Toyotaro saved much time and is only focusing on who/what matters.
    Jiren [non powered] already body bagged MSSB Goku and Hit at the same time. Then he easily slept a Hit who not only relied on his gimmicks but improved his raw strength.
    Jiren clearly has nobody left for him to compete with. The only threat is Goku and Toyo is doing it right by saving those two for the end.

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Bergamo wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote:
    Bergamo wrote: There really isn't any build-up needed. We know Jiren is a hero, and we know he is a jerk. It's just strange because those two traits seem to almost contradict each other.
    I never really got the idea that Manga Jiren was a jerk until this chapter (Chapter 38). He always seemed like a straightlaced, by the numbers superhero.
    In 33 he said that Goku was an "eyesore," and in 35 he said that he had no skill and was not worth remembering. He's consistently been a jerk.
    I don't remember Jiren saying that to Goku (in Chapter 35). I recall him saying to Goku just before he was going to ring him out that he should have picked a fighter that was down at his level. And that was after it was made abundantly clear that Goku couldn't touch Jiren (at that stage). In fact, Jiren commended Goku at the end of the chapter on picking up on Jiren's strategy of eliminating Hit.

Miracles
    I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:12 pm

BTW at the event that showed the Broly trailer. It was confirmed that DB Super is a "canonical sequel" to Toriyama's original Dragonball manga.

Bergamo
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
    Bergamo wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote: I never really got the idea that Manga Jiren was a jerk until this chapter (Chapter 38). He always seemed like a straightlaced, by the numbers superhero.
    I don't remember Jiren saying that to Goku (in Chapter 35). I recall him saying to Goku just before he was going to ring him out that he should have picked a fighter that was down at his level. And that was after it was made abundantly clear that Goku couldn't touch Jiren (at that stage). In fact, Jiren commended Goku at the end of the chapter on picking up on Jiren's strategy of eliminating Hit.
    "You're impressively perceptive, if nothing else." Kind of a backhanded compliment.

Speaking of Goku vs Jiren, are they just fighting for funsies, because Goku should be out by now. The upside is we don't have to see it. If I ever have to see a pointless cut-away Jiren effortlessly blocking punches I will lose my head.

Doctor.
    Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:16 pm

Miracles wrote:BTW at the event that showed the Broly trailer. It was confirmed that DB Super is a "canonical sequel" to Toriyama's original Dragonball manga.
    Why does that even matter?

Grimlock
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:20 pm

Miracles wrote:BTW at the event that showed the Broly trailer. It was confirmed that DB Super is a "canonical sequel" to Toriyama's original Dragonball manga.
    Do you happen to have an image of that "confirmation"?
    We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:23 pm

Bergamo wrote:Speaking of Goku vs Jiren, are they just fighting for funsies, because Goku should be out by now. The upside is we don't have to see it. If I ever have to see a pointless cut-away Jiren effortlessly blocking punches I will lose my head.
    I don't know what's being going on with Goku and Jiren. It seems as though all they do is skirmish a little and then stand still and do nothing.