"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:17 am

mfwlegend3 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:29 pm Use whatever you like. Just know it makes you look like an absolute try hard who thinks by using "Japanese terms" it somehow makes you a cut above the rest. It's also extremely cringe worthy. Elitists are and can be just as bad as the dub fans they rant about.
Does that make me an absolute try hard when I don't use some of the English dub names like "Tuffle" or "Special Beam Cannon" or "Supreme Kai," opting to use the Japanese names instead?
RagnoKaito wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:51 pm About Moro arc, please, read the FULL interview posted recently :D

What have you talked about with Toriyama-sensei when the “Galactic Patrol Prisoner Saga” began?

Toyotaro: When I met Toriyama-sensei, I was really surprised by the original idea of the original author. I was convinced that it would be a good story for each other and so I was able to get started. It will be revealed in the future, so I can't tell you more ... But I'm looking forward to seeing the secrets of the newly appearing characters that you can't imagine unless you're Mr. Toriyama.

Naturally, Toyotaro teaming-up with Toriyama for this arc, BUT this arc is still a Toriyama's idea, like the characters. Indeed, what Toyotaro did about Moro and Merus, is just the DESIGN, like most of the Hakaishin in the ToP arc for example. Also the 80% of the character in the ToP arc was made by Toyotaro or Toei, cuz Toriyama only worked on the (few) main characters of the saga.
This interview was already covered a while back by Cipher, but this is the first time I've seen the translation for this segment.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

RagnoKaito

Post by RagnoKaito » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:50 am

Rakurai wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:17 am This interview was already covered a while back by Cipher, but this is the first time I've seen the translation for this segment.
I don't know why Cipher skipped this part, but it's the most important part of the interview imho ^^

And what Toyotaro says about Merus and Moro is just he did the design, that's all.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:45 am

RagnoKaito wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:50 am
Rakurai wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:17 am This interview was already covered a while back by Cipher, but this is the first time I've seen the translation for this segment.
I don't know why Cipher skipped this part, but it's the most important part of the interview imho ^^

And what Toyotaro says about Merus and Moro is just he did the design, that's all.
I wonder if Kanzenshuu will release a translation.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:20 am

RagnoKaito wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:50 am I don't know why Cipher skipped this part, but it's the most important part of the interview imho ^^

He skipped it because it's unclear
Cipher wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:11 pm
Kinokima wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:04 pmFair enough but I still would argue that confirms the initial idea of the arc was Toriyama. How the arc shaped and what it ultimately became we don’t know whether the “culprit” was Toyo or Toriyama beyond designs attributed to Toyo and a secret of a character attributed to Toriyama ( who I assume is Merus)
The word used for "idea"--発想--isn't clear enough in nuance to indicate the overall umbrella concept coming from Toriyama. Lack of plurals in Japanese leads the question of whether it was just one specific "idea" or multiple ones up in the air, but based on the response speaking in overall generalities (as in, not specifying a particular starting meeting, etc.), it reads to me more like a general statement. The question is also phrased such that it asks what kind of talks the two had leading up to the start of the arc (sidestepping conception):

(「銀河パトロール囚人編」がはじまるにあたって、鳥山先生とはどのようなお話をされたのでしょうか。)

This is all getting further into nitty-gritty nuance than either the question or answer really warrant, though. Maybe the idea just coalesced through mutual spitballing. Maybe it came from one or the other. The interview doesn't offer any smoking-gun hints either way, with its wording, though it remains an implication, as it has in all previous discussion about it, that Toyotaro's role in the arc is at least substantially larger than it was in previous ones. Here, "there are elements like a certain new character's secret that I don't think anyone could have thought of but Toriyama-sensei," as opposed to the discussion of previous arcs, where the overall story was very much spoken of as being Toriyama's vision with Toyotaro-specific editions. It would be a step to far to say this is generally talked about as if it were the opposite, but it definitely leans more that way.

RagnoKaito

Post by RagnoKaito » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:39 am

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:20 am He skipped it because it's unclear
It's so clear instead and he can't skip this part only cuz for him "it's unclear" xD

Toyotaro was surprised by the idea of Toriyama about this arc.

@dbsuperfrance: "j’ai été étonné de son idée!" ("I was surprised by his idea!")

@DB-Z.com: "j’avais été surpris de l’idée qu’il avait émise" ("I was surprised by the idea that he had").

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:35 am

RagnoKaito wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:39 am
It's so clear instead and he can't skip this part only cuz for him "it's unclear" xD

@DB-Z.com: "j’avais été surpris de l’idée qu’il avait émise" ("I was surprised by the idea that he had").
Yes he can, he translated what he understood. I'm fairly certain those french websites don't have translators, besides what Google translate provides.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:13 am

RagnoKaito wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:50 am

As someone pointed out, he didn't skip it, Cipher covered it and he was providing his own interpretation.

Not saying that the translation you provided is wrong or inaccurate, but if you are claiming that the arc is entirely written/outlined by Toriyama (as opposed to it being an idea or concept) then that's prob taking it a bit too far. Just because it's implied that Toriyama wrote a secret for the new character(s) (and because of Japanese ambiguity, it can be either singular or plural, i.e. Merus or Moro or both), doesn't mean that it's the same scenario as the previous arcs where Toyotarou filled the outlines between point A and point B.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

RagnoKaito

Post by RagnoKaito » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:08 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:35 am I'm fairly certain those french websites don't have translators, besides what Google translate provides.
That’s what you say, Those french websites are actually the most reliable about Dragon Ball xD

But however, I just asked to a Japanese translator* (who is a big fan and expert of DB) to translate these part, and that’s it:

“During the meetings with Toriyama Sensei, I was surprised by his ideas; ideas that only he, the original author, could have”.

*he is Davide Della Via, an italian Youtuber and one of The maximum expert in Japanese language and DB world.
Rakurai wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:13 am
Not saying that the translation you provided is wrong or inaccurate, but if you are claiming that the arc is entirely written/outlined by Toriyama (as opposed to it being an idea or concept) then that's prob taking it a bit too far. Just because it's implied that Toriyama wrote a secret for the new character(s) (and because of Japanese ambiguity, it can be either singular or plural, i.e. Merus or Moro or both), doesn't mean that it's the same scenario as the previous arcs where Toyotarou filled the outlines between point A and point B.
And that’s how Toriyama actually works since ToP arc xD

For this arc, Toriyama just said the team of Universe 7 and other few things like:
- 18 fight Ribrianne
- Piccolo fights Damon & Gamisaras
- Vegeta fights Toppo
- Goku fights Jiren
- Goku unclock Ultra Istinct
- 17 won and ripristinate The erased universes
- Frieza is resurrected by Whis

All The rest was made by Toyotaro and Toei and that’s why manga and anime are so different in this arc.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:39 pm

RagnoKaito wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:08 pm
mute_proxy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:35 am I'm fairly certain those french websites don't have translators, besides what Google translate provides.
That’s what you say, Those french websites are actually the most reliable about Dragon Ball xD

But however, I just asked to a Japanese translator* (who is a big fan and expert of DB) to translate these part, and that’s it:

“During the meetings with Toriyama Sensei, I was surprised by his ideas; ideas that only he, the original author, could have”.

*he is Davide Della Via, an italian Youtuber and one of The maximum expert in Japanese language and DB world.

Stop calling random youtubers maximum experts in japanese and experts of DB, that paints them in extremely non credible colors. Regardless, what this guy said is pretty much the same as what Cypher was contemplating. Who's brainchild this arc was is unclear. It just indicates that he had surprising ideas during their discussion for the future arc.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:06 pm

I think we can just leave it at the official fact that Toriyama and Toyotaro are working on this arc together.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:43 am

RagnoKaito wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:08 pm
And that’s how Toriyama actually works since ToP arc xD

For this arc, Toriyama just said the team of Universe 7 and other few things like:
- 18 fight Ribrianne
- Piccolo fights Damon & Gamisaras
- Vegeta fights Toppo
- Goku fights Jiren
- Goku unclock Ultra Istinct
- 17 won and ripristinate The erased universes
- Frieza is resurrected by Whis

All The rest was made by Toyotaro and Toei and that’s why manga and anime are so different in this arc.
Except Toyotarou also said he was teaming up with Toriyama and getting a lot of praise as he makes it. Which has never been said about the previous arcs.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... c-comment/

Which also means that Toriyama isn't just handing him a rough script and telling him to fill in the blanks. They're working on this together.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:11 pm Unfortunately, yes. "Saiyan" is my only exception, I got used to it a very long time ago. And yes, it is an English dub.
While I'm all in for using proper names (even the ones with meaning, or titles) as Kaioshin or Makankosappo, influenced by our latin spanish dub, I think demonyms could and should be translated. Just a matter of style, I suffer the weeb-ism and the USA dub-isms the same. So, my two cents, let Grimlock use whatever they want.

RagnoKaito

Post by RagnoKaito » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Rakurai wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:43 am Except Toyotarou also said he was teaming up with Toriyama and getting a lot of praise as he makes it. Which has never been said about the previous arcs.

Which also means that Toriyama isn't just handing him a rough script and telling him to fill in the blanks. They're working on this together.
Yep, and I think it's a good thing ^^

I always appreciated Toyotaro's ideas (the return of God form, Vegeta SSGod, Vegeth Blue, for example). And I really enjoy this arc: we have Moro that is eating several planets in the Universe, Vegeta on Yardrat, Goku with Merus, the mistery of Merus, galactic patrol, Z-warriors on earth and the upcoming final battle :D

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Ok, finally caught up to the manga again after dropping it in the middle of the Tournament of Power arc. That was really a low point for the manga, it was obvious that toyotaro was rushing it to get to the next arc [especially evident in the kale chapter smh that was handled poorly]

But I'm really liking the Moro arc so far, it's been a while since Goku and Vegeta have been corneder by something that isn't pure strength. I also loved the return to namek [rip namekians tho lol] and vegeta's resolve, really cool stuff. Can't wait to see how the story progresses. I also wonder if we're ever going to see this animated. I assume that after the break they could probably adapt toyotaro's manga [since he's also now collaborating with toriyama] since having 2 vastly different adaptations proved to be a bit of a problem.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:37 pm

DragonBallLove wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:22 pmWhile I'm all in for using proper names (even the ones with meaning, or titles) as Kaioshin or Makankosappo, influenced by our latin spanish dub, I think demonyms could and should be translated. Just a matter of style, I suffer the weeb-ism and the USA dub-isms the same. So, my two cents, let Grimlock use whatever they want.
It's not much a matter of "what I want" but "what it is". Dragon Ball is a Japanese product, we should stick to it as much as possible, and only translate what must be translated (and keep it to the other language what was primarily established in this other language, i.e. Vegeta's techniques using the English language; names that come from English and etc).

There's no "weeb-ism", there's only random people who think their altered (and most of the time idiotic, as it may give a whole other perspective, like the horrible and cringe worthy "Kid Boo") version is what should be used only, when obviously is not.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 pm

So apparently Merus is an angel

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:34 pm

Noitsnothim wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 pm So apparently Merus is an angel
And nobody was surprised.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:22 am

Outside of some obvious signs in the Manga, i'm not sure if its been pointed out already but "Merus" is a type of or brand of alcohol, keeping in rhythm with the rest of the Hakaishin and Angels. So there's that too.

It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:51 am

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:35 am
RagnoKaito wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:39 am

Yes he can, he translated what he understood. I'm fairly certain those french websites don't have translators, besides what Google translate provides.
DBSuperFrance has its own japanese-french translator. DB-Z.com hasn't though.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:03 am