"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Sat May 25, 2019 10:22 pm

Whatever Moro does or has wished for, I hope it involves Beerus/Whis and I hope that they get put out of commission. Like Moro traps them or absorbs Beerus' GoD powers. It would definitely raise the tension and make Moro all the more threatening to the stability of U7.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Sun May 26, 2019 7:19 pm

Moro really should have had other prisoners escape with him that were either his equal or became his minions

ofcourse not enouph time to have multiple satisfying fights with multiple villians when you only have 12 chapters a year.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:21 pm

Rakurai wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:22 pm Whatever Moro does or has wished for, I hope it involves Beerus/Whis and I hope that they get put out of commission. Like Moro traps them or absorbs Beerus' GoD powers. It would definitely raise the tension and make Moro all the more threatening to the stability of U7.
Nah. That’s not neccesary. Simply have Beerus and Whis stay out of this conflict. Saying it’s “beneath them” to deal with mortal affairs. And simply have Moro’s last wish be immunity to magic stealing. Than have him eat the energy of every single planet in the universe to increase his physical fighting powers to astounding levels. And have the heroes figuring it out for themselves.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue May 28, 2019 1:32 am

So can anyone tell me why Dragon Ball Super only releases a chapter once a month and not every 2 weeks?

sora_02

Post by sora_02 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:37 am

The fight between Boo vs Moor was entertaining, Boo will be stronger than the SSJ god?
cranberry assassin muri who is the great patriarch, how is that porunga is still there? I do not suppose that the creator of the spheres must disappear at the moment of death? And what the desire would have been is that

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue May 28, 2019 1:45 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:32 am So can anyone tell me why Dragon Ball Super only releases a chapter once a month and not every 2 weeks?
Because making manga takes a lot of time, and Toyotaro isn't a genius at producing it the way Toriyama was in his prime.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue May 28, 2019 2:05 am

Shaddy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:45 am
Noitsnothim wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:32 am So can anyone tell me why Dragon Ball Super only releases a chapter once a month and not every 2 weeks?
Because making manga takes a lot of time, and Toyotaro isn't a genius at producing it the way Toriyama was in his prime.
and to make matters worse most of Super (Manga) is made out of references/Homages/copying material from the anime or Toriyama's OG DB series. Super feels uninspiring and lacks iconic moments of it's own (The anime does a better job at this) I get annoyed seeing a panel in any new chapter of Super and realizing it's copied or a Homage like come on

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue May 28, 2019 4:35 am

Everyone is hating Toyotaro for being unoriginal, uninspired, the manga not being good. Well, I like it for what it is.
Of course it isn't on par with classic Dragon Ball, because it is not by Toriyama and was imitation from the start, by guy who did Dojinshi.
It even can't be that good, it never will.

I would love to see new Dragon Ball with new poses, panel to panel action, as it was in its prime, but that ship sailed away...
Still, Toyotaro is the most faithfull in art department, which can't be said about Nahoo Oshi for example and that is the merit, that makes me like the Super manga a little. I never enjoyed much any Saint Seiya spin-offs mostly because it wasn't the art of Masami Kurumada and I have this problem with every property and in anime form, Saint Seiya Omega is horrendous.

Only thing that keeps Super manga away from my bookshelf, is having the Battle of Gods so obviously rushed, Ressurection F arc absent and Toyotaro's habit of having too much panels on page, which makes it lose the dynamic of the original and makes it uncomfortable to read.

Well, as a DB manga sequel, it is not on par at all, but as a promo material, it is not so bad :)
I hope that Toyotaro will some day mature into what Dave Filoni is to George Lucas and will carry the torch for future stuff.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 28, 2019 6:43 am

V-Jump is a monthly publication, and Dragon Ball Super is serialized in V-Jump.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue May 28, 2019 10:58 am

MCDaveG wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:35 am Everyone is hating Toyotaro for being unoriginal, uninspired, the manga not being good. Well, I like it for what it is.
Of course it isn't on par with classic Dragon Ball, because it is not by Toriyama and was imitation from the start, by guy who did Dojinshi.
It even can't be that good, it never will.

I would love to see new Dragon Ball with new poses, panel to panel action, as it was in its prime, but that ship sailed away...
Still, Toyotaro is the most faithfull in art department, which can't be said about Nahoo Oshi for example and that is the merit, that makes me like the Super manga a little. I never enjoyed much any Saint Seiya spin-offs mostly because it wasn't the art of Masami Kurumada and I have this problem with every property and in anime form, Saint Seiya Omega is horrendous.

Only thing that keeps Super manga away from my bookshelf, is having the Battle of Gods so obviously rushed, Ressurection F arc absent and Toyotaro's habit of having too much panels on page, which makes it lose the dynamic of the original and makes it uncomfortable to read.

Well, as a DB manga sequel, it is not on par at all, but as a promo material, it is not so bad :)
I hope that Toyotaro will some day mature into what Dave Filoni is to George Lucas and will carry the torch for future stuff.
you've never heard of a guy called Dragon garow lee huh

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue May 28, 2019 11:57 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:21 pm Nah. That’s not neccesary. Simply have Beerus and Whis stay out of this conflict. Saying it’s “beneath them” to deal with mortal affairs. And simply have Moro’s last wish be immunity to magic stealing. Than have him eat the energy of every single planet in the universe to increase his physical fighting powers to astounding levels. And have the heroes figuring it out for themselves.
Or better yet, have him eat Beerus' power. There's only supposed to be like 28 planets, that doesn't feel nearly enough to get him to a level where he becomes a real threat.
Noitsnothim wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:58 am you've never heard of a guy called Dragon garow lee huh
Lee isn't better than Toyotarou. Not only does he currently lack the speed and experience required to make monthly/weekly serialized manga (his Yamcha manga took 9 months to publish 3 chapters, each only about 30 pages or so), he's also more of a fan artist/doujinshi writer, without editors to filter and guide their ideas in general.
Noitsnothim wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:05 am and to make matters worse most of Super (Manga) is made out of references/Homages/copying material from the anime or Toriyama's OG DB series. Super feels uninspiring and lacks iconic moments of it's own (The anime does a better job at this) I get annoyed seeing a panel in any new chapter of Super and realizing it's copied or a Homage like come on
The bold is absolutely false. Toyotarou only makes references from Toriyama's manga, and on average those are less than one panel per chapter. He's also perfectly allowed to because he's trying to emulate Toriyama as this is supposed to be a sequel to his manga.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue May 28, 2019 1:10 pm

Rakurai wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:57 am
GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:21 pm Nah. That’s not neccesary. Simply have Beerus and Whis stay out of this conflict. Saying it’s “beneath them” to deal with mortal affairs. And simply have Moro’s last wish be immunity to magic stealing. Than have him eat the energy of every single planet in the universe to increase his physical fighting powers to astounding levels. And have the heroes figuring it out for themselves.
Or better yet, have him eat Beerus' power. There's only supposed to be like 28 planets, that doesn't feel nearly enough to get him to a level where he becomes a real threat.
Noitsnothim wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:58 am you've never heard of a guy called Dragon garow lee huh
Lee isn't better than Toyotarou. Not only does he currently lack the speed and experience required to make monthly/weekly serialized manga (his Yamcha manga took 9 months to publish 3 chapters, each only about 30 pages or so), he's also more of a fan artist/doujinshi writer, without editors to filter and guide their ideas in general.
Noitsnothim wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:05 am and to make matters worse most of Super (Manga) is made out of references/Homages/copying material from the anime or Toriyama's OG DB series. Super feels uninspiring and lacks iconic moments of it's own (The anime does a better job at this) I get annoyed seeing a panel in any new chapter of Super and realizing it's copied or a Homage like come on
The bold is absolutely false. Toyotarou only makes references from Toriyama's manga, and on average those are less than one panel per chapter. He's also perfectly allowed to because he's trying to emulate Toriyama as this is supposed to be a sequel to his manga.
how you gonna tell me that he only emulates toriyama when me and countless others have found that he also copies scenes or moments from the anime ? (Both z & Super) sometimes even video game openings

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:25 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:37 pm I wonder, where did Goku go at the end of the chapter? He used Instant transmission, but he was not able to feel Moro Ki. Did he go to Earth or something? I remember he said he wanted to get some Senzu
They either went to Kaioshin's home world or maybe Planet Vampa.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:53 pm

Rakurai wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:57 amLee isn't better than Toyotarou.
Please. Dragon Ball Sai tops anything Toyotaro has dished out. Particularly the fight between Kakarrot and Vegeta.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue May 28, 2019 4:38 pm

Noitsnothim wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:10 pm how you gonna tell me that he only emulates toriyama when me and countless others have found that he also copies scenes or moments from the anime ? (Both z & Super) sometimes even video game openings
If by "copy" you mean trace, then absolutely not. If by reference, then yes ofc he is allowed to do so, his mentor is Toriyama and his work is the freaking sequel to the original DB manga. Toyotaro has openly admitted that he uses Toriyama's manga and pulls references. Call it copying if you want, but countless other mangaka do this and it's standard practice in the industry to save time. Creating unique poses all the time is not easy, and not even the best mangaka today can routine keep this up.

So show that he makes more than one reference of the original manga per chapter on average. If you can point out five consecutive chapters where he makes more than one reference, I'll concede. Point them out, I'm waiting.

The only instance I know where he "copies" a video game sequence is the Goku vs Zamasu clash which mimics Budokai 3. But even then, that's still a reference, not a copy (unless your definition of copy is reference instead of trace). And it's a pretty damn cool scene too, I see nothing with doing a reference on it.

Where has he "copied" the Super anime? Also, what are you talking about, copying moments from the Z anime? You do know the anime is literally derived from the original manga, using its panels as reference for stories and choreography?

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue May 28, 2019 4:43 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:53 pm
Please. Dragon Ball Sai tops anything Toyotaro has dished out. Particularly the fight between Kakarrot and Vegeta.
I disagree with that. Toyotarou's battles are some of the best out all of DB has to offer. Particularly the fight between SSJ2 Goku vs. SSJ2 FTrunks, CSSB Goku & Merged Zamasu, the GoD exhibition match, Goku vs Toppo, and UI Goku vs Jiren. But I expect we won't be seeing eye-to-eye on this.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:54 pm

Rakurai wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:43 pm
I disagree with that. Toyotarou's battles are some of the best out all of DB has to offer. Particularly the fight between SSJ2 Goku vs. SSJ2 FTrunks, CSSB Goku & Merged Zamasu, the GoD exhibition match, Goku vs Toppo, and UI Goku vs Jiren. But I expect we won't be seeing eye-to-eye on this.
Out of all those fights you listed, only Goku vs Merged Zamas was pretty good (for Toyotaro standards). Toyotaro's fights are rather repetitious and bland for the most part. Lee provides beautifully choreographed fights with accompanying clean art.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue May 28, 2019 5:05 pm

Rakurai wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:38 pm
Noitsnothim wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:10 pm how you gonna tell me that he only emulates toriyama when me and countless others have found that he also copies scenes or moments from the anime ? (Both z & Super) sometimes even video game openings
If by "copy" you mean trace, then absolutely not. If by reference, then yes ofc he is allowed to do so, his mentor is Toriyama and his work is the freaking sequel to the original DB manga. Toyotaro has openly admitted that he uses Toriyama's manga and pulls references. Call it copying if you want, but countless other mangaka do this and it's standard practice in the industry to save time. Creating unique poses all the time is not easy, and not even the best mangaka today can routine keep this up.

So show that he makes more than one reference of the original manga per chapter on average. If you can point out five consecutive chapters where he makes more than one reference, I'll concede. Point them out, I'm waiting.

The only instance I know where he "copies" a video game sequence is the Goku vs Zamasu clash which mimics Budokai 3. But even then, that's still a reference, not a copy (unless your definition of copy is reference instead of trace). And it's a pretty damn cool scene too, I see nothing with doing a reference on it.

Where has he "copied" the Super anime? Also, what are you talking about, copying moments from the Z anime? You do know the anime is literally derived from the original manga, using its panels as reference for stories and choreography?
This is what i'm talking about he's okay @ Drawing (Garow Lee is still superior) at least when it takes him months to release a chapter the time and efforts put into making it actually pay off and when you actually look at some of these "References" you realize how souless the manga actually is compared to it's original Predecessor it's a bit cringe considering Super would be a lot more respected if it had original panels and references of it's own rather than ripping his Sensei''s hardwork and the non-canon and filler stuff of Z (the anime)
Last edited by Noitsnothim on Tue May 28, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue May 28, 2019 5:07 pm

Rakurai wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:43 pm
Dude face it Toyotaro isn't that good and if Dragon Garow Lee had been discovered before he would have been chosen as Toriyama's successor The dude can literally combine different Mangaka's Styles in one picture without it looking weird

If Jump Force were to receive a manga adaption they'd get DragonGarowLee

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:16 pm

How do we know if Toyotaro is not doing homages when he traces since his stuff is taken from other Dragon Ball stuff. Naho Ooishi trace a scene where Freeza killed one of his soliders by having Chilled doing the same instead.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/